Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
when in the hlel is baki going to be available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jose posted:

when in the hlel is baki going to be available

Given past patterns, probably six months after it finishes airing in Japan.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Did Aggretsuko originally air in Japan? I'm wondering where the dub or the sub is more accurate.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Japanese is the original language, yes. dunno how the dub and sub compare though.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Given past patterns, probably six months after it finishes airing in Japan.

RIP watching Baki legally till like mid 2019 at least

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

TV Zombie posted:

Did Aggretsuko originally air in Japan? I'm wondering where the dub or the sub is more accurate.

Sub is mandatory for Boss rap.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

dogsicle posted:

Japanese is the original language, yes. dunno how the dub and sub compare though.

It's actually quite fun to watch both. The dub did an amazing job of translating the show so that the jokes had more of a Western style delivery.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Apparently the Netflix dub of A.I.C.O. was so bad that they actually had it redone with a new studio and cast. I knew they cut ties with the original studio but I’m surprised they’d go so far as to pay for a new dub. Good on them.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

TV Zombie posted:

No. That was a made-for-Netflix series.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

J-Spot posted:

Apparently the Netflix dub of A.I.C.O. was so bad that they actually had it redone with a new studio and cast. I knew they cut ties with the original studio but I’m surprised they’d go so far as to pay for a new dub. Good on them.

It's Bang Zoom now with an LA cast!

They have so much money to spend that they can pay for an entire dub only to throw it in the garbage. They've removed it from their site, making it a lost dub now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
it really was bad.

any recommendations from the recent batch of anime? (will check out dragon pilot soon)

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
having Unicorn Gundam on the lineup makes me wonder if they'll bring in other UC properties on board.

ROLEX VISION
Oct 3, 2014

dreams money can buy
No mention of Knights of Sidonia here, but I'm 7 episodes deep and really enjoying it. Haven't watched anime in years though so I don't know how it compares to the competition.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Sidonia is great and gets better as it goes. IIRC unfortunately it's an incomplete adaptation so don't expect complete closure.

Try the Blame! movie next. It's based on another series by the same author.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 8, 2018

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

The Sidonia anime stops right before that series starts getting real good, and real weird.

The Blame! movie is a really good tight adaptation (it's only 90 min) of a great but almost incomprehensible manga, and I really hope they do another movie in the setting. I think there's no way the full story could be adapted well, but there's at least 2 more good OVAs of content in the setting.The soundtrack is also phenomenal.

Both use the digital animation style that I know a lot of people don't like, but it's really effective for the vast landscapes of Blame! and the larger scale action scenes in both, even if the character animation often looks a bit off and plastic.

In a similar vein, I liked Ajin, but felt like they dropped the ball with the second season. It feels like they outran the manga and really lost the plot in terms of filling out the characterization, and utilizing the setting well. It also finishes with something of a wet fart of a climax both from a plot and thematic standpoint. A shame since the manga is still running and is pretty rad.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I couldn’t deal with the 3D CG on Sidonia but I felt they really improved it a lot on the Blame movie.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I just saw that there is a 'special episode' of Violet Evergarden in a separate series entry from the main show. Is it basically an ova or something else? Should I expect more to pop up? Incidentally, this show is soooo loving amazing. It and LWA are basically neck and neck for the best netflix anime. :swoon:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

RangerKarl posted:

having Unicorn Gundam on the lineup makes me wonder if they'll bring in other UC properties on board.

My experience with Gundam was limited to watching GW on Toonami and most of the run of G Gundam. Last weekend Unicorn Gundam popped up on Netflix and I gave it a shot, ended up binging it in two days. Thought it was pretty good, loved the heavy politics unironically, except for most scenes with the Char expy.

Anything else similar on Netflix?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Maybe aldnoah zero? I never finished the second season, someone else will have to confirm.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Aldnoah turns to poo poo in the second season don't bother

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Indeed. And not "good poo poo!" in the sense that it's off the hook.

poo poo like, from a butt.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Binged the second (third? I don't really count Signs of Holy War but Netflix calls it the third so vOv) season of Seven Deadly Sins/Nanatsu no Taizai over the weekend.

I enjoyed it overall. I hate that they've gotten into the DBZ thing of power levels but the humour and quirky characters still hold the series up really well

Second to last episode spoilers:
I'm so glad Escanor just got a straight up win against the guy who killed Meliodas. I was fully expecting them to pull some "this guy is so powerful even Escanor cannot beat him!" stuff but instead you get proof that Escanor truly is the strongest of the Sins.

"Who decided that?" :kimchi:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Conot posted:

Binged the second (third? I don't really count Signs of Holy War but Netflix calls it the third so vOv) season of Seven Deadly Sins/Nanatsu no Taizai over the weekend.

I enjoyed it overall. I hate that they've gotten into the DBZ thing of power levels but the humour and quirky characters still hold the series up really well

Second to last episode spoilers:
I'm so glad Escanor just got a straight up win against the guy who killed Meliodas. I was fully expecting them to pull some "this guy is so powerful even Escanor cannot beat him!" stuff but instead you get proof that Escanor truly is the strongest of the Sins.

"Who decided that?" :kimchi:

My fiancee and I binged the first, I dunno, 10 or so episodes last night. I've always had a couple beefs with it (namely, Meliodas being a turbo creep to Elizabeth), but I always thought that overall the show was a good example of cliches used in a way that's fun.

But I'm not sure she will keep with it because she thinks the DBZ power levels stuff is bad and Meliodas's creep actions feel kinda turned up to 11 right now. I'm guessing the back half of the show will have less of that since it'll be dedicated to actually fighting the bad guys, but it definitely irks her.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Skypie posted:

My fiancee and I binged the first, I dunno, 10 or so episodes last night. I've always had a couple beefs with it (namely, Meliodas being a turbo creep to Elizabeth), but I always thought that overall the show was a good example of cliches used in a way that's fun.

But I'm not sure she will keep with it because she thinks the DBZ power levels stuff is bad and Meliodas's creep actions feel kinda turned up to 11 right now. I'm guessing the back half of the show will have less of that since it'll be dedicated to actually fighting the bad guys, but it definitely irks her.

It's kinda an unavoidable thing since they play it up as part of the Meliodas/Elizabeth dynamic, but as you say, the latter half of the season becomes a bit more conflict focused so it comes up less.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The power levels thing rarely ever actually matters

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Yeah the power level doesn't really bother me much since it's just kinda part and parcel of shounen stuff. It does feel a little shoehorned in, like editors just wanted a concrete way to represent character strength, but it isn't any worse than a bunch of other cliches the series uses

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Wark Say posted:

Indeed. And not "good poo poo!" in the sense that it's off the hook.

poo poo like, from a butt.

That soundtrack though :vince:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
tangentially related, the korean live action adaptation of jin roh---illang, on netlix---is okay, but the ending completely changes the message of the movie

also the powerarmor and mg-42 getup doesn't work quite as well in a modern setting

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SpazmasterX posted:

That soundtrack though :vince:
Hiroyuki Sawano is often usually a shining element for most of the series he's in. :allears:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Rinkles posted:

tangentially related, the korean live action adaptation of jin roh---illang, on netlix---is okay, but the ending completely changes the message of the movie

also the powerarmor and mg-42 getup doesn't work quite as well in a modern setting

yeah I was ok with it even though it went a lot more action movie than the original until the last 15 minutes

also they used 2 iconic pieces from the original soundtrack, one to great effect and the other... not so great

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm watching Seven Deadly Sins at the moment and I'm finding the power level stuff pretty hilarious thankfully.

I don't know if I can keep watching it with the disgusting loving pervert poo poo though. Why does every single anime feel the need to have something like that? I hope he cuts it out soon, at least it hasn't come up in the last few episodes (I'm up to 10 I think)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's always there to some extent but definitely becomes a lot more background as the other Sins are introduced and his relationship with Elizabeth develops.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

It's always there to some extent but definitely becomes a lot more background as the other Sins are introduced and his relationship with Elizabeth develops.

I think I can ignore the way Diana and Elizabeth look (sort of) but it's definitely going beyond weird and into "actual sexual assault"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It definitely gets worse. There's full on "ancient little girl" and etc.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Just finished Season 1 of "The Disastrous Life of Saiki K"

Really good relaxed comedy that I can just slap on while doing other stuff without having to be focused 100% on the current events.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Taear posted:

It definitely gets worse. There's full on "ancient little girl" and etc.

is it that snake girl thing?

i watched a clip of awesome anime fight pride guy vs some monster thing and... it wasn't good. snake girl eats pride guy's soul but his soul was too spicy so she couldn't? (i think it had to do with power levels, which this guy apparently had like a 1 gagillion power level)

in any case, jojo has spoiled me and the fight was bad. netflix should get jojo so it can have a good anime (well, it's got devilman crybaby, but it needs more good animes)

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Condiv posted:

is it that snake girl thing?

i watched a clip of awesome anime fight pride guy vs some monster thing and... it wasn't good. snake girl eats pride guy's soul but his soul was too spicy so she couldn't? (i think it had to do with power levels, which this guy apparently had like a 1 gagillion power level)

in any case, jojo has spoiled me and the fight was bad. netflix should get jojo so it can have a good anime (well, it's got devilman crybaby, but it needs more good animes)

It's not Snake girl.

It's Merlin

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Given the contents of Season 3 I'm guessing they're referring to Eleanor, considering her relationship with Ban is a lot more in your face then it was in Season 1

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lurking Haro posted:

It's not Snake girl.

It's Merlin

i looked it up and it was pride vs garland. does merlin eat souls? that seems p hosed up. isn't she supposed to be a good guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Condiv posted:

i looked it up and it was pride vs garland. does merlin eat souls? that seems p hosed up. isn't she supposed to be a good guy?

No, Merlin does not eat souls.
Snake girl is a demon, but not one of the ancient little girls.