Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

VJeff posted:

lol what the hell did LIJ do to get into that match?

Beat RPG3k in the tournament was the logic Bushi was pushing in the post match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Benne posted:

Ishimori v KUSHIDA
White v Okada
IWGP Intercontinental - Jericho v Naito

Sigabayashi ‘we understand Chris Jericho did not consent to this matchup, but the IWGP Intercontinental Championship is within the control of New Japan Pro Wrestling and as such will go ahead as scheduled.

God I love New Japan.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm glad they're still using Sugabayashi for these press conferences. I was worried it'd be all Harold after he did the ones in the USA. There's something about Sugabayashi looking completely uninterested in everything going on that I enjoy. Especially for Hiromu press conferences.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/1059319550448037888

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that sounds really whiny and bothered. tranquilno

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Cavauro posted:

that sounds really whiny and bothered. tranquilno
agreed. naito is a cop.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The truth is Chris Jericho didn't show up for work today and there's not gonna be any consequences because he's Harold's boy.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Wrestlekingdom is 2 months away and the top of the card looks hype :woop:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Chris Jericho is a part-timing fake-rear end bitch.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

part timing is cool mark

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

VJeff posted:

I see Goto and EVIL as great wrestlers who aren't held back by anything because they're awesome.

Yeah I feel like I'm going insane by these takes. Goto and Evil both rule.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I don't need to see the current incarnation of Goto against anyone on the roster again, it's been done to death and is the least interesting technically proficient wrestling out there. Just feed him ROH freakshows like Beer City Bruiser.

also lol @ the three-way

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I finally caught back up after falling way behind on the RTPS shows, wound up kinda skimming through some of the matches I wasn't as interested in as I got further cause I just wanted to get to Power Struggle. Hint: If a match features GBH, young lions, Yujiro & Chase, or Toa Henare I'm about 2x as likely to skip it. Power Struggle was good, definitely better than KOPW at any rate.

I started off not really liking Taguchi because I thought Yano was better at the comedy stuff but I've come around the last couple months. While I'm still kind of whatever on the generic "hit them with your rear end" stuff whenever it gets worked into an actual spot like "partner tries to whip opponent into Taguchi's rear end in the corner but gets reversed, Taguchi celebrates, turns around and sees both+ opponents" I like it more. Taguchi Japan is fun.
Kushida vs Bone Soldier at the dome gently caress yeah
Okada vs Switchblade at the dome gently caress YEAH
Tanahashi is winning the belt. Betting on wrestling is stupid, but this will happen.
Good-rear end final to the Jr. Tag League, kiiiiiind of not thrilled they're just doing the exact same match for WK? But I mean, hey, whatever, it'll probably be really good still
Listen I like Goto, he's a good wrestler regardless of how boring a character he is, and Goto vs Ibushi is certainly not the best possible use of Ibushi at the Tokyo Dome, we can all more or less agree on that, but like. Taichi kinda just sucks. He should be like, 4th eliminated in the New Japan Rumble, or eating a pin for KES in the Trios Gauntlet Clusterfuck.
Ishii/Suzuki good. Hit hard. Do more.
As people said during the show it is kind of weird how much more in-ring chemistry Naito and Zack have than Naito and Suzuki. And ZSJ is actually an opponent that a Passion of the Naito style match works with since his body type means he can't take hits as well as most heavyweights. It's more believable that you'd be able to get a couple hits in, knock him loopy so he can't apply submissions as effectively, hit two finishers and win than someone like Suzuki who's able to essentially have a 20 minute long strike exchange with Ishii before he gets taken down. Really excellent match.
Evil vs Jericho was really goddamn sloppy and all over the place but hell it was fun. Nonsense brawls with occasional move sequences are more or less what the two of them are best at.

Final take, really fun show, kind of a shame it was as predictable as it was but Power Struggle seems pretty much built to be the "get all our poo poo lined up for the Dome" show which leads to very few surprises because of how straightforward a lot of New Japan's booking can be.

But seriously whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy are they doing Naito/Jericho again, ugggggghhhhh

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Kinda hope we see Jericho vs Tanahashi for the IWGP in Feb or March, that’d be a really cool way to cap off his run here

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Goto is good and all but it's extremely rare that I think "man, I'm really looking forward to that Goto match".

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

The_Rob posted:

Yeah I feel like I'm going insane by these takes. Goto and Evil both rule.

Goto and Evil are my boys and I'm glad others feel the same.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

extradite THIS! posted:

Goto is good and all but it's extremely rare that I think "man, I'm really looking forward to that Goto match".

Except that he has great matches constantly.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The_Rob posted:

Except that he has great matches constantly.

I didn't say he doesn't

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I only really get excited for Goto when it’s a match against some hard hitting strong boi like Ishii or Shibata

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
I finally got a chance to watch Headshot on Netflix over the weekend and was surprised to see Goto show up in a flashback fight scene. He took a broken sword blade to the head! Geeesus!

He was great for the hot violent minute he was in it. Not sure why the scene was so short as he looked awesome opposite Iko Uwais and they really went after eachother.

More NJPW guys need to show up in my asian action cinema! Especially the brutally bloody ones :unsmigghh:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Goto has cool moves down, but he needs to work on looking like a badass

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Goto is like a better Yoshi-Hashi where he is really good when he wants to be but often comes out and does zero effort. It's obvious with the Ushigoroshi. Half the time he gently places someone on his leg and half the time he tries to decapitate them.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It was totally bizarre when Tacos had a really loving good match with Elgin at the G1 this year

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

jesus WEP posted:

It was totally bizarre when Tacos had a really loving good match with Elgin at the G1 this year

The Ziggler/Miz of NJPW.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Oh boy the facepaint doesn’t look so good paired with street clothes

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

When did Vampiro win the IC title?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dad had a midlife crisis, is dating a goth girl

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

M'ime

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
They're doing Naito vs. Jericho again because they jobbed Naito out the whole year and now he needs all his wins back.

He'll probably beat Okada next year than beat Tana or Omega for the belt.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

12 points in the G1, IC title win, repeatedly destroying MiSu and constant spotlight in general is an interesting definition of jobbed out

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Goto's ringwork is really good, he's just severely lacking in personality

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Rarity posted:

It’s this. Goto is rock solid in the ring. You can also tell when he’s going to lose when he starts dogging it. That said, he gets up for the big matches, and like all men of character, he saves his best days for Ishii.

On a separate note, I love how they give Ishii literally every other belt but the IWGP Heavyweight because they know he’s the secret ace.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Strawberry Panda posted:

They're doing Naito vs. Jericho again because they jobbed Naito out the whole year and now he needs all his wins back.

He'll probably beat Okada next year than beat Tana or Omega for the belt.

Please don't prophesize disaster in this thread

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Goto is like a good drama that’s been in your streaming queue for ages and you know will make you feel compelling feels if you actually pull the trigger on it...but something about it just means you skip it and rewatch Parks and Rec for the fifth time instead.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ishii is Game of Thrones, Goto is Vikings.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rarity posted:

His personality is that he is a stoic samurai man and tbh I can get why that's not enough for a lot of people because the line between "stoic" and "boring" is pretty goddamn fine when you're talking about pro wrestling, but stoic samurai man is like, one of my favorite character archetypes ever so, yeah, I'm just totally on board for it.

I love it when he does this thing during matches:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 5, 2018

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gumball Gumption posted:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

But Ishii is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Your Boy Fancy posted:

It’s this. Goto is rock solid in the ring. You can also tell when he’s going to lose when he starts dogging it. That said, he gets up for the big matches, and like all men of character, he saves his best days for Ishii.

On a separate note, I love how they give Ishii literally every other belt but the IWGP Heavyweight because they know he’s the secret ace.

Ishii would absolutely have a reign or two if he wasn't like 5'3.