Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

shortspecialbus posted:

Sounds like a bug tbh.

poo poo, I thought I missed some badass robbery or something whilst I was taking a whizz

JBP posted:

Blow his loving head off for this insult.

you have no idea how badly I wanted to. but I'd just spent the night in jail to remove my $300 bounty and I was broke as gently caress. I had to sell a bunch of tonics to afford the fare back to valentine. if I was minted, I would have killed him, his mother, and half the town for the insult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ShakeZula posted:

So I'm nearing the end of Chapter 4 and was planning on beelining the story and saving the rest of the roaming and open-world stuff for the postgame, but it sounds like that's a bad idea? I want to be able to read all the black bars but I also want to enjoy myself for the surely several hours of hunting and stranger missions that follow.

Yeah I'm in the same boat right now, I was thinking of saving the treasure maps, hunting, dinosaur bones, and tablet stuff for the postgame but it sounds like I ought to be doing that stuff now. I'm assuming the "fundamental change" has something to do with the ominous looking "wellbeing" status effect in Arthur's character sheet but don't answer that

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

ShakeZula posted:

So I'm nearing the end of Chapter 4 and was planning on beelining the story and saving the rest of the roaming and open-world stuff for the postgame, but it sounds like that's a bad idea? I want to be able to read all the black bars but I also want to enjoy myself for the surely several hours of hunting and stranger missions that follow.

You can absolutely freeroam and do all exploration stuff post game. As spoiler-free as possible (still putting it in spoiler bars though) the post game is very similar to post game in RDR1, if you played that. Hopefully that gives enough of a hint.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

hemale in pain posted:

Does anyone else feel the linear story doesn't really match the open world? I'm not very far in to this game but I'm having way more fun loving about in the open world than I do on missions. The way they've handeld the story almost seems outdated now. Every mission is ride somewhere, watch npcs do something, something goes wrong and then you have a big shoot out against like 30 dudes. It doesn't really match the world at all. I can't really play games without a story, i get way bored on survival stuff where there's nothing to do but endless crafting, but the times when you go fishing or hunting with characters, even some stranger missions, are way better than the big gun fight story quests.

Also im gonna scream if the game switches my Schofield out with a revolver i never use and has zero condition and i only notice until i've left my horse. gently caress YOU GAME.

IMO the story gets better as the game progresses, early game its definitely more fun just roaming around doing poo poo. Later, the story picks up and you feel more compelled to just keep playing it, which then fits together more nicely

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Now in the epilogue and I hope I eventually get to read Arthur’s journal again. fair enough if I have to lose clothes/guns/money, but with John being handed Arthur’s bag I really woulda hoped the journal woulda been in there.

Wait, so when you switch to playing as Marston you have to re-buy all of your items and customize everything again? I still have plenty of time before I get that far but that sounds pretty obnoxious.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
This game is supposed to have sex and nudity in it, but so far, well into chapter 4, I have yet to see even one :yosbutt:

If there is no nudity I can stop kicking my kid out of the living room to play it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Wait, so when you switch to playing as Marston you have to re-buy all of your items and customize everything again? I still have plenty of time before I get that far but that sounds pretty obnoxious.

Initially you do not have any of the guns, this makes sense as the story is presented. Later, when you get guns again, it will be the upgraded ones, plus John's own revolver.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Initially you do not have any of the guns, this makes sense as the story is presented. Later, when you get guns again, it will be the upgraded ones, plus John's own revolver.

wait what the gently caress

what about the stuff I unlocked at the trapper? I can kill with any gun but I can only kill with certain outfits

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well I have the journal again so I’m happy enough. But glad to hear that other info :)

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

uncle w benefits posted:

This game is supposed to have sex and nudity in it, but so far, well into chapter 4, I have yet to see even one :yosbutt:

If there is no nudity I can stop kicking my kid out of the living room to play it.

The only nudity I've seen was back in Chapter 2 during the LENNY! LENNY!! mission and even then it was just a super brief glimpse of a woman from behind. Knowing the ESRB, they probably counted Arthur taking a bath as nudity.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
By the way, you absolutely can save most of the exploration for the postgame, I just personally chose not to due to certain nerdy roleplaying headcanon reasons I grew to like Arthur so much so before the last two missions I had him abandon the camp and just go exploring the world during the last period of his life and did a lot of points of interest and the treasure hunts and all sorts, because I wanted the evidence of him discovering all that stuff in his journal for John to read later on, hence my feelings over that earlier

e: probably the Deluxe Baths count as sex lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i went back to catfish johnson's house after robbing it the first time

this was a mistake, and it ended in tragedy

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

if you capture or kill the feral man you can feast your eyes on a lovingly crafted uncut cock

it really struck me how amazing the detail in this game is when i was scoping out his hog point blank with the binocs

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Question about the Marston family/Sadie bug.

Does Sadie actually have any missions in chapter 2?

Originally I read that it was just a Marston bug so when I did get the fishing mission from Jack I thought I was bug free, but today I read Sadie's potentially bugged too.

She didn't give me anything in chapter 2 but neither did several other characters, so I don't know if she just doesn't have anything or if she bugged for me.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lost my favorite horse because I was auto-traveling on cinematic mode and he ran face first into a train :(

RIP Miso, you dalmatian horse

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Anyone else having an issue with the challenges? Tracking species through the binocs just stopped registering after the fourth.

Aphrodite posted:

Question about the Marston family/Sadie bug.

Does Sadie actually have any missions in chapter 2?

Originally I read that it was just a Marston bug so when I did get the fishing mission from Jack I thought I was bug free, but today I read Sadie's potentially bugged too.

She didn't give me anything in chapter 2 but neither did several other characters, so I don't know if she just doesn't have anything or if she bugged for me.

I believe they reappear for missions. It's camp dialogue and being able to give them requested items that is an issue. I'm gonna do as much random open world crap as I can in chapter 3 to see if we get a week 2 patch resolving this poo poo.

Sperghetti
Apr 21, 2010

Before the game came out, did anyone else think the bad guy Andrew Milton....

...was obviously modeled after and surely going to be voiced by Pete Postlethwaite??

When I saw Milton in the prerelease vids I went to Postlethwaite’s IMDb tosee if it was him and discovered the dudes been dead for like 7 years. Why didn’t anyone tell me!?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

rap music posted:

wait what the gently caress

what about the stuff I unlocked at the trapper? I can kill with any gun but I can only kill with certain outfits

Everything unlocks, the only thing you actually lose is saved custom outfits, you just need to recreate them. You start with John trying to be honest so he is not running around with all his guns out at the start of the epilogues

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ShakeZula posted:

I've been making saves in every chapter so I can go back so maybe do that?

Also as for bugchat I've had surprisingly few on my PSpoor. Zero crashes. Just a few floating and teleporting ladies in towns.

e: also re: sadie bug she has no missions til chapter 3 and iirc any bugged characters will reappear for missions. so you're only missing camp chatter/character development

also I wish I had more bugs b/c open world jank gives me loife

esperterra fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 5, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

esperterra posted:

e: also re: sadie bug she has no missions til chapter 3 and iirc any bugged characters will reappear for missions. so you're only missing camp chatter/character development

also I wish I had more bugs b/c open world jank gives me loife

I guess that's why people missed the fishing, since that's technically a stranger mission (white marker instead of yellow)?

A sort of significant event happens during that though, and Arthur mentions it a few times later.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 5, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Once I’ve finished the whole game I’m gonna make a separate save to cheat my rear end off in

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

rap music posted:

is it weird that i'm just replaying certain mission checkpoints over and over to improve my aim and movement so I can own in RDO

did you know you can run while aiming and also dive?

Wait, you can go back and replay missions? How do you do this? I need to find a very shooting heavy one so I can go back and practice my controls/aim.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I saw in the guide that there's supposed to be a treasure map in the jail in the burned out town near camp in ch. 2 if you bought the special edition of the game or w/e, which I did, but I couldn't find the map there so I went into the add-ons menu in the PS4 and either installed or reinstalled the special edition add-ons and then I still couldn't find a map in there and also the burned corpses in the jail mysteriously disappeared :iiam:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aphrodite posted:

I guess that's why people missed the fishing, since that's technically a stranger mission (white marker instead of yellow)?

Oh, good point. I haven't run into any companion activities with John or Sadie yet but I'd imagine if they have any then bugged people might miss them. That sucks. Some of those missions have great conversations.

Most of those only pop at a certain time of day tho, I think, so people may just be missing them due to timing.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I want cheats that bring in anachronistic guns using assets from GTA Online or something. There just aren't enough games where I can be a cowboy spraying a MAC-10 from horseback.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All the articles about it make it seem a lot worse than it is then. Those camp conversations are entertaining sometimes but 99% of the time I'm hitting Not Now because I'm trying to eat some drat stew and the dialogue is blocking me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

I saw in the guide that there's supposed to be a treasure map in the jail in the burned out town near camp in ch. 2 if you bought the special edition of the game or w/e, which I did, but I couldn't find the map there so I went into the add-ons menu in the PS4 and either installed or reinstalled the special edition add-ons and then I still couldn't find a map in there and also the burned corpses in the jail mysteriously disappeared :iiam:

Yeah I haven’t had any of my special edition stuff yet. Sorta annoying

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Aranan posted:

Wait, you can go back and replay missions? How do you do this? I need to find a very shooting heavy one so I can go back and practice my controls/aim.

yeah i can't remember the menu path off hand but I'm pretty sure you just pause and go to story and then pick the mission you want to play

i hung out in the (late chapter 4) st dennis bank robbery for a while because you can just keep pumping lead into respawns indefinitely

i used to only shoot with dead eye but now I rarely use it

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

MAXIMUM 'STACHE

I approve of your choice of cowboy duds and of course, the stache.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The preorder treasure map was apparently only if you did it before August 15th.

The guns and horse you have to buy (for free.)

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

rap music posted:

yeah i can't remember the menu path off hand but I'm pretty sure you just pause and go to story and then pick the mission you want to play

i hung out in the (late chapter 4) st dennis bank robbery for a while because you can just keep pumping lead into respawns indefinitely

i used to only shoot with dead eye but now I rarely use it

I think its menu > progress > story > mission you want to replay.

It creates a save and lets you play the mission and then loads you back to the save.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

I approve of your choice of cowboy duds and of course, the stache.

The stache owns because Arthur looks stunningly like Kurt Russel as Wyatt Earp from tombstone and it owns

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Escobarbarian posted:

I finished chapter 6 last night and there’s one moment that is so blatantly “lets make the internet cry” when Arthur goes “thank you” to your dead horse that it made me giggle more than anything.

I did the Eagle Flies mission like right before the last mission so I was riding a random horse. Sorry random horse, I did not feel as bad for you as I would have for Horace

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Argh, so many black bars! Would this game warrant a Spoiler discussion topic? Like others I'm in chapter 4 but all progress towards the story pretty much stopped since I'm doing side stuff. Kind of wish I spent more time in 2 and 3 but that's just how it goes.

I'm kind of liking the collect-a-thons in this game except maybe the exotics one, but the guy you're giving them to is quite a fun character and the rewards seem pretty appropriate so I guess it's not too bad.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've got three days off coming up and I'm planning on just powering thru the rest of the story so I can go back and read the CIA document. I already accidentally spoiled myself on the big ending bits, which lbr I'd pretty much assumed was how it was going to go w/r/t Arthur dying and you playing as John after so nbd but I want to avoid spoiling any of the finer details 'cause I'm surprisingly invested in the characters of this story. Rockstar did a good job on the writing for this one. I usually enjoy their writing but it's usually way too on the nose for me to say it's necessarily great writing. They seem to have struck a good balance here without going too far up their own rear end or leaning too hard into dumb/weird poo poo.

Having a save in every chapter will be nice to just bebop around to whenever I want to do side stuff I may miss by powering through. I think I have a save directly after the tutorial, as well, which will be nice for when I want to run through again as a full on black hat instead of doin a ton of crime but balancing it with honour gains so I don't miss out on that mission later as well as get the good ending lmao.

Although learning that late/end? game your horse dies is prob the thing I'm most annoyed at being spoiled on lmao, especially because I've managed to get as far as I have without losing Beano, who I stole from the old man who got kicked in the face 'cause he didn't need her any more. I've planned on being real careful with this horse so I can keep her all the way thru so learning her fate is s a d.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
So what's the extra single player stuff rockstar blackmailed me for?

There's apparently a bank heist in Rhodes that I certainly don't remember

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A spoiler thread might be a good idea, yeah

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
My horse bugged. I had the DLC warhorse fully bonded and everything, then one mission the script assigned me the basic starter Tennessee Walker for the mission. Fine, whatever. So I went back to camp to swap the saddle, but I couldn’t find him there. I went to a stable just in case, and it looks like I have two identical Walkers. I’m pretty sure I’m hosed, but how common is this bug? I’d be upset if I put money into another horse and had this happen again.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Qubee posted:

one time, I spent my last $7 on a stagecoach to valentine from strawberry. figured I'd nip to the toilet whilst arthur gets in. i got back from the toilet to find arthur still in strawberry, standing outside the coach, with the coachdriver nowhere in sight. I had to sell a bunch of stuff to be able to fork out the $7 again.

anyone have any idea what happened to the coach driver? I'd just paid the fare and figured it would be automatic like it normally is.

I had the same happen once, looked away after accepting the ride and when I looked back the wagon driver was running away for his life and arthur was just standing around. Got some sort of a bounty too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

A spoiler thread might be a good idea, yeah

:agreed: if only because this game is so loving long that if people who bought it at launch still aren't done, it's going to be a while before people who come into the game later on will be done with it as well and it'd be cool if they could come to this thread for the hot TIPS N TRICKS and silly bug or emergent stories.

e: if there isn't a spoiler thread up when I get off from work I can whip one up