Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Tommyknockers was second King book I read. Pet Sematary was the first.

I can't remember the order after those two, but know the Bachman Books and Christine were soon after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
my first was the girl who loved tom gordon, followed by the eyes of the dragon

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

The Eyes of the Dragon here

Same here, 7th grade if I remember correctly.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My King fascination started in 2nd grade when I watched the original Salem's Lot miniseries. My mother had all his books at the time (she had some scam she was running with the DoubleDay book club thing where you get 10 books up front), and I finally talked her into letting me read Firestarter in 4th grade. Still it wasn't until 6th grade that I truly became a King reader. I went back and read most of his previous books, but I can't remember in what order (either Salem's Lot or The Stand was my 2nd book). I do know it wasn't until 7th grade that I finally read Pet Sematary (which was just released in paperback at the time).

I credit Stephen King, Judy Blume, the Hardy Boys' books, and elementary school book fairs as the reasons I am a reader today.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

I read it during puberty and iirc found one of the sex parts hot :wtc:

E: Tommyknockers I mean

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Man, who would have thought. I read Tommyknockers at the height of my high school King fanboy period and it just slammed the brakes on that. It was a decade before I picked up another one of his books.

But my biggest Stephen King disappointment ever was Shawshank Redemption. It was really boring compared to the movie.

I loved all the crazy gadget stuff. I also lived in a small town, not much bigger than Haven, surrounded by lots of rural farms, much like Haven. The names were different, but I could picture almost every single person in the book as someone from my hometown. It was that, even more than the weird gadgets, that sold me on the book.

To this day I feel that King is the undisputed master at creating fictional small-town communities.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

To this day I feel that King is the undisputed master at creating fictional small-town communities.

This is painfully hyperbolic. Of course he isn't.

Is it one of his stronger skills? Yes. But undisputed master?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

This is painfully hyperbolic. Of course he isn't.

Is it one of his stronger skills? Yes. But undisputed master?

Undisputed by what's available at every airport and Walmart

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

ConfusedUs posted:

no

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
It's one of those things where yeah he's really good at it but at the same time you can only put the words "in a small New England town. . ." on so many dust jackets before it starts to grate.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
He's really good at it.

Until you read Carson McCullers, John Irving, Flannery O'Connor, Harper Lee, Sherwood Anderson, and everyone else Stephen King learned it from. Something Wicked This Way Comes is like the framework for every King small town story.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

He's really good at it.

Until you read Carson McCullers, John Irving, Flannery O'Connor, Harper Lee, Sherwood Anderson, and everyone else Stephen King learned it from. Something Wicked This Way Comes is like the framework for every King small town story.

I wish I'd reread that before Bradbury died because I need to know what happened to the school marm who was transformed into a little kid. She was very confused and scared and presently abandoned. I don't need her to have a good ending but just an ending

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Franchescanado posted:

He's really good at it.

You can be good at something without being the person who invented it. I take your point, for sure, but all I'm really trying to say is that it's a trope he's probably too comfortable with.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I didn't even know they were doing a Pet Semetary remake

https://news.avclub.com/ayuh-the-pet-sematary-remake-is-looking-mighty-spooky-1829530384

Lithgow's a good choice and the original is mediocre at best aside from Fred Gwynne's performance so I'm down with this.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

I didn't even know they were doing a Pet Semetary remake

https://news.avclub.com/ayuh-the-pet-sematary-remake-is-looking-mighty-spooky-1829530384

Lithgow's a good choice and the original is mediocre at best aside from Fred Gwynne's performance so I'm down with this.

I was all Lithgow's too ooooo

Ayuh

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
With a nine month-old in the house right now I'm not sure how well watching this will sit with me. So of course like an idiot I'll probably see it in the theater and be the middle-aged guy sobbing uncontrollably for no obvious reason.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Am I too late for "babby's first King" chat? Mine was Pet Cemetary, in sixth or seventh grade. After that I probably went to one of the short story collections. King is at his best when he's at his most concise.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
short story collections are like getting to read the best parts of a bunch of new king novels at once

Sefiros
Mar 16, 2006

go radish go

Krispy Wafer posted:

No one ever says their first King book was Tommyknockers because if you read Tommyknockers first you never read another King book.

I dunno, my first King novel was Dreamcatcher.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Sefiros posted:

I dunno, my first King novel was Dreamcatcher.

drat. I'm surprised you stuck with him.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Watch The Green Mile again yesterday when it showed up on my Netflix recommended for you feed. Forgot how good that movie is, right up there with Shawshank. Frank Darabont is a goddamn genius.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
My first novel was The Gunslinger. Wizard and Glass was the first book I ever read on my Kindle, making The Waste Lands the last paper book I've purchased... 7 years ago. drat.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VllcgXSIJkE

im loving this wave of king adaptations and it seems to be accelerating

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
First king for me was 14, The Green Mile. 2nd was either Gerald’s game or rose madder. I remember liking both decently enough

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I watched The Shining on TV when I was 12 and was mesmerized by it. It was edited for basic cable (the woman in the bathtub and the fursuit fellatio scene took me by surprise when I watched the real thing years later) and it took like four and a half hours with commercials, but I sat through the whole thing. Went out and got the book from the library the next day. It was really good, probably the first "adult" book I ever read, but I picked up The Stand next and was completely hooked.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I was about 10 when my mom gave me a copy of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon to read. I haven't read it since then, but I remember really liking it.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

My first was It, the summer of 96 right before we moved back from South Korea. Then I hit Needful Things, Firestarter and at one point was told by the teacher not to bring Cujo to class. My parent's bought The Stand for me probably solely on the grounds that at 1000+ pages they thought it would take me awhile. Sometimes I wonder if I ruined them for myself reading them so young because I remember too much of the plot to ever bother doing a re-read but not enough to say I had a meaningful connection with them.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Every time I’ve thought that about a book I read when I was almost certainly too young to completely digest it I’ve been pleasantly surprised. Sure you might remember what happened to a point but I doubt you remember why and if so you can still enjoy the characters motivation to do so. Or the journey to get there. Every time.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
all i remember about cujo is the really sad scene where the dog goes crazy because of the rabies from the bat-scratch on his nose or whatever it was, the scene at the end where the woman beats the dog to death with the bat, and the scene where the guy jacks off on the bedspread

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

My first King was IT. I was of an age with the Losers as kids, and the book scared me so badly that I would wrap the book in a sweater and bury it in my closet before the sun went down.

It was winter in Canada. I didn't have too many hours of daylight in which to read.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

My first King was IT. I was of an age with the Losers as kids, and the book scared me so badly that I would wrap the book in a sweater and bury it in my closet before the sun went down.

It was winter in Canada. I didn't have too many hours of daylight in which to read.

I had this version, and the eyes just seemed to glow out at you:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

chernobyl kinsman posted:

all i remember about cujo is the really sad scene where the dog goes crazy because of the rabies from the bat-scratch on his nose or whatever it was, the scene at the end where the woman beats the dog to death with the bat, and the scene where the guy jacks off on the bedspread

lol same

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the narration is like, “he was so good at jacking his red raw hog that in just three pumps there was a drying puddle on the comforter” and im like, wtf. thats impossible

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

scary ghost dog posted:

the narration is like, “he was so good at jacking his red raw hog that in just three pumps there was a drying puddle on the comforter” and im like, wtf. thats impossible

look at mister amateur hour over here

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Book Barn > Stephen King: jacking his red raw hog

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Davros1 posted:

I had this version, and the eyes just seemed to glow out at you:

By the author of The Dark Half? That’s what you’re going with, book cover?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dissapointed Owl posted:

To be fair, The Dark Half had been the most recent King release when that version of It was published.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

chernobyl kinsman posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Book Barn > Stephen King: jacking his red raw hog

We need this.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Speaking of jacking off, I'm reading Revival and it's starting to drag at around the 100 page mark. Whole lotta talk about hard-ons and seedy wanking sessions and it's all making me ask, "does this come(lol) into play later"? Come(lol) on, King! Make with the Frankensteins!

kenny powerzzz posted:

We need this.

Agreed.

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I thought by that point King was popular enough that you didn't need to reference his prior works. I believe IT may have broken some records for presales on a 1st printing and that cover would be the 2nd or 3rd printing.

But yeah,"The Dark Half"? Really?