Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I still accidentally call Home Depots and Lowes Builder's Square sometimes, since that was my summer job in high school and some of college. A Home Depot opened up across the street and in the morning their manager had these little rallies where he would whip the staff into chanting things like "we're going to put you out of business". It was creepy, obviously, but also impressive to get minimum wage people to even pretend to care enough to chant CORPORATE WAR stuff, always wondered how that worked. Also, eventually they did in fact put us out of business, or at least Builders Square as a whole went bankrupt.

Our local Home Depot is a total shambles (in this sense, https://www.theonion.com/t-j-maxx-recreates-in-store-shopping-experience-with-n-1819580303) and horribly run and luckily I have good locals options for hardware and for building materials and for appliances. I know other Home Depots are much better, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pangstrom posted:

I still accidentally call Home Depots and Lowes Builder's Square sometimes, since that was my summer job in high school and some of college. A Home Depot opened up across the street and in the morning their manager had these little rallies where he would whip the staff into chanting things like "we're going to put you out of business". It was creepy, obviously, but also impressive to get minimum wage people to even pretend to care enough to chant CORPORATE WAR stuff, always wondered how that worked. Also, eventually they did in fact put us out of business, or at least Builders Square as a whole went bankrupt.

I've learned that when you have a very large company, anyone at manager level is a cultist who takes their job of bossing teens around for $30k a year very seriously. These people also can't wrap their heads around people not wanting to actually spend their time shelving light bulbs and garden hoses, so these kinds of activities are an attempt to mold them into acolytes.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Great, they're closing the two closest Lowe's stores near me. Luckily there's a decent sized ace hardware close by, but no sweet veterans discount there.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

pangstrom posted:

If my boss told me to do that, I might just do it to break the monotony of the day, but I wouldn’t actually care in reality. Especially if they gave out a little prize for the best smack talk to the other store, that would be fun.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Iron Crowned posted:

I've learned that when you have a very large company, anyone at manager level is a cultist who takes their job of bossing teens around for $30k a year very seriously. These people also can't wrap their heads around people not wanting to actually spend their time shelving light bulbs and garden hoses, so these kinds of activities are an attempt to mold them into acolytes.

I forget where I read it, but one management analysis thing I read said that most large companies have sociopaths at the top, idiot cultists in the middle, and economic losers at the bottom - because the economic losers do all the real work, you don't want them to have to deal directly with the sociopaths and realize how much their being screwed, while the idiot cultists are there to absorb blame for things going wrong from both ends while adding no real value to the company.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Queen Combat posted:

I don't often shop at Home Depot, but when I do it's in the middle of a project and I visit the store 4 times in one day.

I'm from NY but now live in VA, and when people around here ask me if I like it here, my stock answer is "Well, I sure don't miss the traffic in NY. I do miss having a Home Depot that was open 24 hours a day, though" and watch their eyes get wide at that concept. When you're a crazy artist, ain't nothing like being able to go hit up the Home Despot for poo poo at 2am.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm from NY but now live in VA, and when people around here ask me if I like it here, my stock answer is "Well, I sure don't miss the traffic in NY. I do miss having a Home Depot that was open 24 hours a day, though" and watch their eyes get wide at that concept. When you're a crazy artist, ain't nothing like being able to go hit up the Home Despot for poo poo at 2am.

Nice Freudian slip!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

pangstrom posted:

Our local Home Depot is a total shambles (in this sense, https://www.theonion.com/t-j-maxx-recreates-in-store-shopping-experience-with-n-1819580303) and horribly run and luckily I have good locals options for hardware and for building materials and for appliances. I know other Home Depots are much better, though.

I had a good friend who worked at Home Depot and she called the employee devotion to the place cultish and offputting.

The employees at my local store do not, seem to have the same attitude, it's very much the Beavis and Butthead episode where Mr. Anderson gets lost in Home Labyrinth. Which is honestly fine with me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rick posted:

I had a good friend who worked at Home Depot and she called the employee devotion to the place cultish and offputting.

You'll find True Believers anywhere you work, although they tend to be old guys who've put decades into somewhere with nothing really to show for it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Sir Lemming posted:

Shame, I've preferred them to Home Depot for some reason. Though sometimes I still honestly forget which one I'm in.
Home Depot is a more contractor-oriented store while Lowe's is more retail customer-oriented.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
One is blue and one is orange :shrug:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Iron Crowned posted:

Nice Freudian slip!

Not a slip but a quip, my friend. When I was in college, my upstairs neighbor worked there and that's what he called it. Name kinda stuck with me.

My husband used to work for Lowes years ago and I can still make him shudder just by randomly yelling "Special assistance is needed in the wire cutting area. *DOOO, DOOO* Wire cutting area!"

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

VanSandman posted:

I forget where I read it, but one management analysis thing I read said that most large companies have sociopaths at the top, idiot cultists in the middle, and economic losers at the bottom - because the economic losers do all the real work, you don't want them to have to deal directly with the sociopaths and realize how much their being screwed, while the idiot cultists are there to absorb blame for things going wrong from both ends while adding no real value to the company.

lol. i absolutely can believe this even absent any evidence, makes more sense than a lot of other theories

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Iron Crowned posted:

Nice Freudian slip!

I also say this, it's just a fun word substitution.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lowe’s did just shut down the entire Orchard Hardware subsidiary just a few months ago as well

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Not a slip but a quip, my friend.

Yeah, I can't be the only one with a nickname, usually vulgar, for almost every chain I know.

Home Despot, Burger Queef, Taco Hell, Pizza Slut, Ball-mart, the list goes on. My personal best was turning KFC into Kan't loving Cook.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

rndmnmbr posted:

Kan't loving Cook.

I mean, intuitive knowledge of cooking is separate from objective reality, Immanuel.

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 01:47 on Nov 6, 2018

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

KFC got that name because the one nearest me at the time liked to sell theirs still pink in the middle.

I mean, I'd give chicken sashimi a chance, but there's a difference between sashimi from one restaurant in Japan with rigorous quality control, and whatever the hell a bunch of high-schoolers in a fast food restaurant felt like doing that day.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
They're closing the closest Lowe's to me...which is within 5 minutes of both a Home Depot and a Menards, so maybe there's a reason it's not doing so well. :v:

It still sucks because it's really convenient to be able to check out all three with ease, but I get why it was probably one of their less profitable stores.

rndmnmbr posted:

KFC got that name because the one nearest me at the time liked to sell theirs still pink in the middle.
Yet another reason to never go to KFC when there's literally any other fast food chicken place nearby.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
BLowes was my name for it, along with Home Despot we all know and love

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I try to avoid Lowes, because I literally get sleepy when I go in there. Don't know what it is, but I could just lay down in any aisle and take a nice nap. Doesn't happen with Home Depot. Not sure what's up.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
It is darker in Lowe's, the blue coloring doesn't help while hd always seems brighter from the orange.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Weird. Despite the orange coloring, I always found Home Depot to be dimly lit and grungy. While Lowe's has the white to balance out the blue and the lighting is brighter. It's kinda the difference between being in a Wal Mart and a Target.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

VanSandman posted:

The Gervais Principle

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
So, I'm sure a long while back, there was discussion about dead Malls across America. And then there's the contrast up in Canada, where a lot of indoor shopping manages to thrive (mainly attributed to the long winters making them an ideal way to get out of the house).

Well I just found this video of probably the dumbest way to capitalize on this fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjIaMNl9fxQ

As the video states, it's built right next to another mall. A very popular one, a semi-regional shopping destination that has all of the big box stores and chains Canadians come to expect and then some. So instead, they built what seems to be an upper class flea market with intent to capitalize on the Asian community (as I'm pretty sure this mall's marketplace format was carried over from China). And this isn't even in Vancouver, which has both an impossibly large Asian community from all sorts of countries. This is in Alberta, the Texas of Canada, a land locked and particularly conservative part of the country. Not to say Calgary (where it was built) doesn't have a sizable Chinese community, but it's only 6% of a city made up of a vast majority of Racist White People. There are weirdos who still proudly display the Confederate flag from the Ford Brand Pick-Ups™, even though we couldn't even have less to do with that conflict. Once I even heard racism against the polish, that's how racist these white folks are.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I try to avoid Lowes, because I literally get sleepy when I go in there. Don't know what it is, but I could just lay down in any aisle and take a nice nap. Doesn't happen with Home Depot. Not sure what's up.

I have, ever since I was a child, found myself insanely sleepy in department stores: Sears, JC Penney, Macy's, Foley's, Kohl's, whatever. Five minutes in one of those places and I'm constantly yawning and having trouble standing up straight.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Lowe's is good for appliances since they are there in stock. Home Depot they only display and never have any in stock.

You must be lucky. Bought a washer & dryer from Lowes, told us it would be 10 days before they could deliver it. Then for three weeks they'd call us and tell us it wouldn't be in until the following week. Finally cancelled the order and went elsewhere.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

You must be lucky. Bought a washer & dryer from Lowes, told us it would be 10 days before they could deliver it. Then for three weeks they'd call us and tell us it wouldn't be in until the following week. Finally cancelled the order and went elsewhere.

There's always models that aren't in stock, but the point is Lowes keeps inventory on hand. You can go in and walk out with a large appliance although it might be lime green, wired for another country's power outlet, and have LCD panels all over the place.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pastry of the Year posted:

I have, ever since I was a child, found myself insanely sleepy in department stores: Sears, JC Penney, Macy's, Foley's, Kohl's, whatever. Five minutes in one of those places and I'm constantly yawning and having trouble standing up straight.
Holy poo poo, same here! I don't know what it is but I feel like I need a nap as soon as I stop walking at a brisk pace through any of those stores. It certainly isn't "I feel comfortable here".

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoth posted:

Holy poo poo, same here! I don't know what it is but I feel like I need a nap as soon as I stop walking at a brisk pace through any of those stores. It certainly isn't "I feel comfortable here".

The Muzak?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgnaWbPLAks

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Yawgmoth posted:

probably conditioning from being bored in them as a kid

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Don't mind me, I'm asleep in the middle of the clothes rack.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I always found the best spots to post up in nap in stores when I didn't want to be in them

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It also may have to do with being dragged by your parents as a kid and having nothing to do, so you just fell asleep in the middle of one of those clothing racks until someone called the police.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
If you didn't hide in a clothing rack as a kid because you were bored did you even really have a childhood?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

vyst posted:

I always found the best spots to post up in nap in stores when I didn't want to be in them

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Weatherman posted:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Yes. So many.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

fizzymercy posted:

Yes. So many.

I mean, I am write to single and wait for answer again.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I was way too loving high when i wrote that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

i accidentally the whole mall