Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So I want some advice from the thread. I've been a permanent advanced intermediate skier forever, and I want to get better and become more comfortable skiing black diamonds. WHats the best way to do that? Should I take a private lesson? Just throw myself down some blacks and suffer through it? I can ski easy black diamonds and pick my way down harder stuff, but I'm clearly not approaching them the right way. Any pointers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Private lessons, or some kind of "steeps clinic" would be the best bets. Do that in the AM, then go throw yourself down some faces to work on what you've learned.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

The Glumslinger posted:

So I want some advice from the thread. I've been a permanent advanced intermediate skier forever, and I want to get better and become more comfortable skiing black diamonds. WHats the best way to do that? Should I take a private lesson? Just throw myself down some blacks and suffer through it? I can ski easy black diamonds and pick my way down harder stuff, but I'm clearly not approaching them the right way. Any pointers?

where are you skiing?

take a half day lesson, focusing on your technique

practice your technique on slopes you feel comfortable on, and then when you're feeling good about it, just try skiing the same way on a similar slope that's a bit steeper

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Residency Evil posted:

I remember the first time I went back to Seven Springs after skiing out west.

I haven't been back to Seven Springs.

It's super hard dragging my rear end to Wisp even though my parents live near there so I always have a place with a hot tub to stay overnight. I mean, if they actually get snow then sure. They cleared out the brush in a bunch of the forests a year or two ago but I've yet to see snow deep enough you could actually ride in the trees.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I値l be getting to experience skiing in PA this season. I知 sure it値l be willllllld

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Landsknecht posted:

where are you skiing?

take a half day lesson, focusing on your technique

practice your technique on slopes you feel comfortable on, and then when you're feeling good about it, just try skiing the same way on a similar slope that's a bit steeper

I ski a lot of places, mainly Tahoe, Mammoth, and Utah. I just struggle on moguls or really chewed up snow, but I glide down pretty much anything if its been groomed. I also don't enjoy powder skiing, and I'm fairly sure I just have technique issues that makes me struggle and overwork in those situations.

I'll try to get a half day lesson and see how it goes

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

I ski a lot of places, mainly Tahoe, Mammoth, and Utah. I just struggle on moguls or really chewed up snow, but I glide down pretty much anything if its been groomed. I also don't enjoy powder skiing, and I'm fairly sure I just have technique issues that makes me struggle and overwork in those situations.

I'll try to get a half day lesson and see how it goes

what size of ski are you on? That will drastically change your enjoyment of powder and chop

somewhere like snowbird/alta or squaw will have plenty of blue terrain where you can practice your technique, and then just move up to a steeper run of similar terrain and ski that

don't focus on getting down the most difficult thing you can, but instead find the most difficult thing you can ski well and try that

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Landsknecht posted:

what size of ski are you on? That will drastically change your enjoyment of powder and chop

somewhere like snowbird/alta or squaw will have plenty of blue terrain where you can practice your technique, and then just move up to a steeper run of similar terrain and ski that

don't focus on getting down the most difficult thing you can, but instead find the most difficult thing you can ski well and try that

Yeah, I've been totally happy to just cruise down blues and groomed blacks for the last decade, but I've made a real push to get into shape over the last few years and want to start challenging myself to handle tougher terrain. I'm not looking to throw myself double black chutes or something, I just want to get better at handling rougher slopes and not question why I ski every time I run into a patch of moguls.

Probably look into wider, shorter skis for handling powder better?

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 2, 2018

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, I've been totally happy to just cruise down blues and groomed blacks for the last decade, but I've made a real push to get into shape over the last few years and want to start challenging myself to handle tougher terrain. I'm not looking to throw myself double black chutes or something, I just want to get better at handling rougher slopes and not question why I ski every time I run into a patch of moguls.

TBH the best skier I've ever been out with used 190cm 110mm skis, but he's a 6 ft tall 220 lb jacked guy who skis 150 days a year (lodge owner/guide)

depending on your height get something that's 100mm underfoot and 175-185 long; nordica enforcer 100s are very popular, this will handle anything you can throw at it in a resort if you have good technique

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

If you want to do some exercises that will have immediate results on your ability, do squats on a half bosu ball holding barbells in each hand.

It will not only give the benefits of squats which are crucial in hard conditions but will really work the stabilizing muscles.

Like so...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The Glumslinger posted:

I also don't enjoy powder skiing...

Goondolences.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I値l be getting to experience skiing in PA this season. I知 sure it値l be willllllld

I mean.

It痴 better than *not* skiing.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

I ride in NJ so I know your pain. Still, I love riding and it's great having my local resort an easy 50 minute drive away. I am out there every day I can be and it allows me to get 40-50 days every year. Even a terrible conditions day beats not riding. It's really what you make of it. A ton of my friends won't ski nor ride here and only ski when they travel out west so they end up getting like 7 days a year and never really improve.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yuns posted:

I ride in NJ so I know your pain. Still, I love riding and it's great having my local resort an easy 50 minute drive away. I am out there every day I can be and it allows me to get 40-50 days every year. Even a terrible conditions day beats not riding. It's really what you make of it. A ton of my friends won't ski nor ride here and only ski when they travel out west so they end up getting like 7 days a year and never really improve.

It痴 a good point. I知 one of those people currently since I have to travel by plane to ski. I think the best place people mentioned near where I値l be at Peek地 Peak, which has 25 runs and some blacks. I think someone also mentioned Holiday Valley if I want to drive a little further. Definitely better than nothing. Where do you ski from NJ?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

It痴 a good point. I知 one of those people currently since I have to travel by plane to ski. I think the best place people mentioned near where I値l be at Peek地 Peak, which has 25 runs and some blacks. I think someone also mentioned Holiday Valley if I want to drive a little further. Definitely better than nothing. Where do you ski from NJ?

Holiday Valley is ok, and has a neat town associated with it. Definitely a bit larger than most east coast skiing areas.

Anyone have any particular suggestions for places to ski that are in the eastern PA area?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 3, 2018

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Peak n Peak, Holiday Valley, etc are all pretty OK places east/midwest. The nice thing about where those places are at is they can get pretty good lake effect snow. So instead of pure ice you can have some soft snow to ride.

We used to drive over from Toledo as a kid. We would either head over there or go to northern Michigan. Always a great time.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Mountain Creek NJ since my kids are on the ski racing team there. It's one of the closest places to NYC so it can get insanely crowded for such a small place. Season ticket holders get on the lifts an hour early on weekends and weekdays are empty so if I manage things well I can duck most of the worst crowds.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Darn Tough Socks > Smartwool Socks

Fight me.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Icebreaker socks > all other socks.

Smartwool socks suck.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Socks you don't pay full price for > whatever brand you like

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Moot . posted:

Fight me.
My kids keep stealing my Darn Tough socks.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I'm willing to say Smartwool suck now that they're leaving Steamboat.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Residency Evil posted:

Anyone have any particular suggestions for places to ski that are in the eastern PA area?
everywhere sucks, blue mountain sucks the least though probably

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Moot . posted:

Fight me.

Seems super sock-dependent. I got a pair of DTS cycling socks that are the poo poo. I also have a pair of their running socks that are meh as heck; way too thick and ill-fitting.

:shrug:

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Dangerllama posted:

Seems super sock-dependent. I got a pair of DTS cycling socks that are the poo poo. I also have a pair of their running socks that are meh as heck; way too thick and ill-fitting.

:shrug:

I知 with you on this but about my smartwool socks; they致e been better than any other sock I致e had, including darn tough, but maybe that痴 just me/these particular socks.

To each their own within reason, I guess.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I know The Good Ride doesn't have a good reputation for reviews but I didn't think much about it until I just saw their most recent review of the Gentemstick XY, a board I own. They said that the tail would wash out and it wouldn't hold an edge and was much better in powder. I have no loving idea what board they rode.

Their review
https://thegoodride.com/snowboard-reviews/gentemstick-xy-2019-snowboard-review/

Me on the XY last season on east coast hardpack

Some random guy not washing out
https://vimeo.com/209492639

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Disinterested posted:

I'm willing to say Smartwool suck now that they're leaving Steamboat.

boooo

Here's hoping their employees all quit and start a coop together. gently caress getting relocated from steamboat to denver.

GE did that to a satellite office in my town a while back, and moved the whole operation from the UP to North Carolina. Pretty much the entire workforce told them to get hosed and now most of them work for an employee-owned engineering services company that's doing quite well thank you very much.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Yuns posted:

I know The Good Ride doesn't have a good reputation for reviews but I didn't think much about it until I just saw their most recent review of the Gentemstick XY, a board I own. They said that the tail would wash out and it wouldn't hold an edge and was much better in powder. I have no loving idea what board they rode.

Their review

Watching their video every heelside turn is just knees locked flopping back towards their butt, no controlled pressure on the edge. Just watching those I expected them to chatter and skip out, either the board saved them or they cut out all the falls.

Some heelside turn content / casual cruising stoke fuel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbfmefzNYuk

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Since my Jeopardy appearance it's not exactly hard to find out my real info, so in honour of race chat have a fun GS video without the sound edited out from this summer on the glacier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmah5IBKr8U

edit: rewatching that I obviously have no idea what pressure on the front of the boot is LOL

HookShot fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 5, 2018

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You were on jeopardy?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

spwrozek posted:

You were on jeopardy?

I would also like to hear about this.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

This makes at least two goons with recent Jeopardy appearances.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

harperdc posted:

This makes at least two goons with recent Jeopardy appearances.

I had to double check I wasn't reading the MLS thread.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I was on the October 24th episode. It's on DailyMotion for anyone who wants to see. I didn't exactly go around announcing it everywhere and somehow game shows never naturally entered the conversation in the skiing thread haha.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Yuns posted:

Their review

Super jealous! Should I demo/rent one?

I've already got stuff booked for my Niseko trip late December but riding a handmade japanese snowboard would be cool :D

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I was on the October 24th episode. It's on DailyMotion for anyone who wants to see. I didn't exactly go around announcing it everywhere and somehow game shows never naturally entered the conversation in the skiing thread haha.

Hey you beat a dude from Gaithersburg, MD. He could have come home and used that money to... I dunno, help us with our MS-13 problem?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

davebo posted:

Hey you beat a dude from Gaithersburg, MD. He could have come home and used that money to... I dunno, help us with our MS-13 problem?

Haha one of my best friends is from Damascus, when he saw I was playing a guy from Gaithersburg he was like "sorry, I'm not cheering for you anymore".

That dude is a boss though, he's the current US crossword puzzle solving champion.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Just picked up a pair of these from the Evo store here in denver this weekend:
https://www.evo.com/alpine-ski-boots/rossignol-track-130#image=122597/515119/rossignol-track-130-ski-boots-2018-orange.jpg

Spent over an hour trying on different boots with the guy, and am pretty pumped to have finally found some boots that fit really well. I took last year off of skiing because I was in so much pain from the boots I'd been using, and I was sick of spending money just to get 3 runs in and have to call it a day while everyone else had fun.

I'm probably going to go back and have custom footbeds made after spending a couple days on the new boots.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
CO is way ahead on snowpack as of now. Breck now opening Weds. I'm at A-bay tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm supposed to be skiing here on the 13th and uhhhh

https://www.panoramaresort.com/panorama-today/mountain-webcams/

(the Mile 1 cam is usually the top of where we start to ski)