Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
How do we destroy the butts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Taredan posted:

How do we destroy the butts

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

blasphemer, it is bitcoin am-heh* who demands proof of works

*bitcoin am-heh is a miner god from the dark web, whose name means either "bitcoin, devourer of millions" or "bitcoin, eater of eternity".[1] He is depicted as a man with the head of a hash-hunting asic who lived in a lake of waste heat.[2]

bitcoin anubis weighs your wallet against the feather of ma'ath and finds it heavy with fiat. your wallet is devoured by ammitoshi

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Boxturret posted:

mouth could be more empty and void-like 8/10

:agreed:

p. good effort though

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

welp i've found my new fetish

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Thank you for showing me the way Sensei.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

...! posted:

begin ur lust

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

...! posted:

*fetisch

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
let the machine live your fantasy of foreverial incarceration

timick
Apr 7, 2016

So it turns out that EOS is just a glorified cloudservice, not a blockchain.
https://www.ccn.com/interview-researcher-argues-eos-isnt-a-blockchain-just-a-distributed-database/

Actual report, https://whiteblock.io/library/eos-test-report.pdf

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

let the machine live your fantasy of foreverial incarceration

oh that's what the rage cage is for

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

...! posted:

Lol if it isn't descending bear, just lol

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

tbf this is "ethereum dev shop funds study to say EOS sucks"

still true tho

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Except this is not fricking steampunk times, so nobody uses boring old watches.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Elon musk is giving away 10 000 bitcoins @_@

(this is a real promoted tweet I got on twitter today lol)

check out all the hacked verified accounts giving positive confirmation

https://twitter.com/pantheonbooks/status/1059433629795926024

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

lol twitter is so bad

e: guess im not the only one!

Dixie Cretin Seaman fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 5, 2018

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
in case the tweet is pulled down soon

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

neutral milf hotel posted:

in case the tweet is pulled down soon

loving Smooth.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

BMan posted:

It's your digital you. Virtually real, but controlled by real you.
i... i got this.
i appreciated this reply.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

GPF posted:

i... i got this.
i appreciated this reply.

in the digital world there's only three things to do!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

sorry but I prefer fetisch amateurs, keeping it real

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
fetischpro is a classic

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

its so good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe5ceYO2XlE

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Observer098/status/1059471301952253952

:toot:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
go go sec :dance:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
destroyong one of the greatest innovation

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hmmm maybe musk and buttcoins are connected after all!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
slow spreadsheet "database" consuming a small nation worth of electricity to maintain - greatest innovation

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Suspicious posted:

slow spreadsheet "database" consuming a small nation worth of electricity to maintain - greatest innovation

well this is america we're talking about so maybe

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Boxturret posted:

well this is america we're talking about so maybe

go bite a beaver

we invented nuclear bombs, you invented nickelback

wait, that didn't come out quite as i had intended

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqcUISOB6nE

:colbert:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Back in my day the biggest innovation in databases was adding AA-ZZ columns.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have been fooled into transferring 0.1btc as part of a scam. Where do I go from here? (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 4 minutes ago by socr

First of, to be clear, everything that follows I did at my own risk, and I'm under no illusions that I will see that money again. I also never thought I'd be the type of person who fell for an online scam. I am completely frustrated at myself. Ultimately, what I want to know is who (if anyone) I can report this to / what I should do next?

This all happened about 90 minutes ago. I was sitting in hospital receiving a drug infusion I get every couple of weeks. One of them was an antihistamine so I'm putting that down as a contributing factor to my absolute idiocy. To pass the time I was scrolling through Twitter on my phone. All of a sudden I see a tweet from Elon Musk (nothing unusual, I follow him anyway), regarding a bitcoin giveaway (yay me). Bear in mind, at the time, the profile picture was the same as Elon Musk's, and it had his profile name. I'd also recently read about the trouble he had had at Tesla and being essentially squeezed out. The twitter handle didn't register with me - I wouldn't have known what Musk's was regardless. The verified tick was there. I didn't question the veracity of any of this.

When I scrolled down to read the comments, this is the likes of what I was presented with at the time. Of course I should have spent more time reading through the rest of them. I didn't. Again, all I saw was blue ticks. I clicked the link and ended up being presented with this.

I've used bitcoin a few times in the past and have a verified Coinbase account. So I then added 0.1btc worth of funds from my Coinbase account via my bank account (UK). After the funds had been added I initiated the transfer. Coinbase said it would be pending for 72 hours unless I once again uploaded photo ID specifically for this transfer. And of course I went ahead and did just that. The transaction was still labelled as pending immediately after this on Coinbase, and still is at time of writing.

Safe in the knowledge that I would doubtlessly be receiving a 30btc windfall direct from Elon's purse any minute now, I had more time to think things over. And as soon as that primal fight-or-flight instinct had subsided, it immediately dawned upon me how good that was to be true; the potential for fraud. And sure enough, by the time I had gone back to look at the Tweet, Elon's identity had been stripped from the profile.

Setting aside the feelings of devastation over what I'd just done - I Googled in the vain hope that there was a way to stop a pending btc transfer. To my surprise, the support pages for another marketplace mentioned that it could be possible in the initial stages of the transfer. I looked up the transaction on BlockCypher which stated the transaction was 0/6 confirmed - giving me hope. So I phoned up Coinbase support and was put on hold for around 10 minutes. I then explained the situation to an advisor, let's call him Dave. Dave somehow sounded more pissed off at my than I was with myself. He said there was nothing that could be done, and it was all final. When I asked what people usually do in situations such as this, Dave told me to ask the recipient for the money back. Thanks Dave.

Clutching at the straw that at least I may be able to do something myself to stop the transfer in its tracks, I intended to go back to the articles I had found earlier on Google and analyse them more closely. Before doing so I checked BlockCypher once again, however the transaction was 1/6 confirmed - hope was lost.

On a side note - fair play to the fraudsters here. Hijacking a verified account to mimic an erratic billionaire who would be the very type to commit to such a crazy publicity gambit, and getting that into my Twitter feed by making it a sponsored ad in the name of that billionaire, plus the added time pressure (and subsequent threat response) to the giveaway progress bar further down the webpage, all was a masterclass in human psychology. Or maybe I'm just telling myself that to feel better.

Also - big shout out to Twitter for basing its business model around selling my information to third parties who are then able to target me with fraudulent ads from an account it has verified.

So what should I do now Reddit? Who should I contact? What should I say? I'm guessing my bank would be a good start. Are there any other bodies that people would recommend?

Tl;dr sent some bitcoin to a Nigerian Prince. Transaction is still "pending" according to Coinbase. What should I do next?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

no chargebacks bicth

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

...! posted:

On a side note - fair play to the fraudsters here. Hijacking a verified account to mimic an erratic billionaire who would be the very type to commit to such a crazy publicity gambit, and getting that into my Twitter feed by making it a sponsored ad in the name of that billionaire, plus the added time pressure (and subsequent threat response) to the giveaway progress bar further down the webpage, all was a masterclass in human psychology. Or maybe I'm just telling myself that to feel better.
gonna say it's the latter

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i do not understand how the elon cultists worship him so much yet have never heard of the scam that's been going on for months

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Boxturret posted:

i do not understand how the elon cultists worship him so much yet have never heard of the scam that's been going on for months
"months"

bill gates was emailing people to give them free money decades ago

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

"months"

but elon wouldn't do that, he's a good boy :ohdear:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
while I do love and appreciate brotherman bill, please respect the original fetischsong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba2IRyq3dyE
e: Oh wow, older video
https://vimeo.com/10281433

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Sham bam bamina! posted:

"months"

at least in bill gates' case, it only required a forwarded mail

how the gently caress do these people go "so I send money to him first, that totally makes sense"

• Locked thread