Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sapozhnik posted:

It's OK to be whitespace?

Yeah I got nothing

what’s next? all plangs matter??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

quote:

Good morning friends and family. I wanted to share an important message from the Lord. The Lord has set his face against America and His judgments have already begun and will continue. His next judgments will be two great earthquakes. A 9.1 to west coast and a 12.2 in a place that normally does not have a quake. He wants to wake up His bride who is asleep. No one knows His timing of these quakes but they are coming. He wants us to Repent and ask Him for forgiveness. Those of you who have your wedding dress on, He says His sword will cut both the righteous and sinners so keep your garment and I ask you to join me in prayer for His mercy against this and all nations. If you have your garment on, then read Lamentations. It will prepare your soul for what is about to happen. Do not be afraid and come to Jesus. He loves us all

I looked up the CEO of my old company on Facebook out of curiosity. This was his first post in 10 months. :allears:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

ratbert90 posted:

I looked up the CEO of my old company on Facebook out of curiosity. This was his first post in 10 months. :allears:

sounds like he also read the new Laundry Files book

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

that’d just normal Christian eschatology

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

thatd just normal Christian eschatology

When I first met him 4 years ago he was a staunch atheist.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm always amazed by evangelical Christians who believe in the apocalypse but not in global warming.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

mystes posted:

I'm always amazed by evangelical Christians who believe in the apocalypse but not in global warming.

not anthropogenic climate change. if god wants to do it, that’s good and cool

well, the opposite of cool, but you know what I mean

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

there’s a nice scripture in revelation about god destroying those who destroy the earth that no christian knows because they’re all heretics

they’re all too busy having dominion over the land and the creatures and their wives

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Less true in adults, I guess, but a staunch believer in X seems almost as likely to become a staunch believer in something else down the line than still believing X down the line.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The hardest core atheist/philosopher kid I knew in high school ended up becoming a mormon.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
isn't a 12.2 earthquake like, impossible

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

converts are always the absolute worst

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pangstrom posted:

The hardest core atheist/philosopher kid I knew in high school ended up becoming a mormon.

if ur gonna be a hardcore evangelical might as well do it for the hardest of the hard core.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

no but

wiki posted:

Seismologist Susan Hough has suggested that 10 may represent a very approximate upper limit, as the effect if the largest known continuous belt of faults ruptured together (along the Pacific coast of the Americas).[32]
and a 12 would be literally 1000 times stronger

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

ratbert90 posted:

When I first met him 4 years ago he was a staunch atheist.

Sounds like he got immanentised pretty good

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

nah it’s a p deece 12.5 figgies

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pangstrom posted:

the hardest core mormon i knew in highschool ended up being space kimchi

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

fritz posted:

no but

and a 12 would be literally 1000 times stronger

lol. earthquake so strong a significant portion of the planet is launched into orbit

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Soiled Meat
the only cool religious guy i know is the one who converted to islam in prison

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

prisoner of waffles posted:

lol. earthquake so strong a significant portion of the planet is launched into orbit

at last, the mechanism of the rapture is revealed

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

real talk though: gbs has become a lot more mild since the last mod switchover, but if you still feel it's too racist/transphobic/anti-gay or whatever, you can start reporting posts you think are bad, open a thread in QCS with your grievances, or contact lowtax via email/twitter through the sticky at the top of each forum. complaining about it in the terrible programmer thread is probably not going to make a difference.

wait are you suggestion that someone who thinks there's bigotry problems in gbs should post in qcs
:thunk:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Captain Foo posted:

wait are you suggestion that someone who thinks there's bigotry problems in gbs should post in qcs
:thunk:

not to drag this out, but for the record it was my posting about transphobia in QCS that really set the stalkers off on me rather than anything I said in gbs.

QCS is full of the most tirelessly awful people on these forums.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
today i discovered an empty value somehow getting read into a variable as "undefined"

no, not undefined. a string whose value was "undefined"

thanks, javascript

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

today i discovered an empty value somehow getting read into a variable as "undefined"

thanks, javascript

haha I had this today, a null object was being json serialised to a string of "null" because I enabled some type of null handling in the serialiser and forgot about it

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
c TP s : I gave wrought annotations

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

haha I had this today, a null object was being json serialised to a string of "null" because I enabled some type of null handling in the serialiser and forgot about it

I have one TV platform that does this and is bizarre because I literally only use JSON.stringify and JSON.parse.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

thanks, javascript

js string concatenation does this for some dumb reason. i'd love to know who genuinely wants undefined + "" to result in "undefined".

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Chalks posted:

js string concatenation does this for some dumb reason. i'd love to know who genuinely wants undefined + "" to result in "undefined".

I'd assume that's a result of the undefined being coerced to a string because js is awful and doesn't force you to cast but yeah still you think the string representation of undefined would be ""

a weird one I encountered once was with sql. If you have a varchar column that has 999 integers as strings and one actual string, if you query it with an integer value the planner will attempt to cast the entire column to an integer dynamically which a) murders performance and b) blows up if there is a non-castable value. I think there was some logic behind this but seems like it would have been better to just reject the query with a type mismatch

of its not an issue if you set your column types properly. iirc in that case the one varchar value was a line separator because the idiot that wrote the file loader skipped a fixed number of header rows and then one was added it started loading in the last header row as content. to avoid this crashing the process they just set the entire column to varachar so there's a column with content "---endOfHeader---"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it should be like nans where any operation that isn't explicitly checking for it just produces undefined

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jabor posted:

it should be like nans where any operation that isn't explicitly checking for it just produces undefined

what you’re saying is js should be better

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Yes, JSON.stringify(null) is indeed the JSON string "null", and JSON.parse("null") is indeed the value null.

I'd be more worried that, for example, JSON.stringify(undefined) is undefined, which is not a string, and JSON.stringify([undefined]) is "[null]"??

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Doom Mathematic posted:

I'd be more worried that, for example, JSON.stringify(undefined) is undefined, which is not a string, and JSON.stringify([undefined]) is "[null]"??

In that first example, passing undefined to a function is the same as passing no argument, I think, so you're getting undefined because calling JSON.stringify() returns undefined.

The second one is loving stupid and proves javascript is terrible.

Edit: bonus - JSON.parse() throws "Unexpected token u in JSON at position 0" because it's running it on undefined and treats it as a string because javascript motherfuckers!

Chalks fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 7, 2018

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

woah this code I wrote like 2 years ago is bad

i can't figure out wtf is going on with half of it and this "extension" is gonna spiral into a refactor

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
an object containing a property with an undefined value is fine, you just filter it out. if you round trip it and try to access that property you get undefined. great success.

but there's nothing round-trippable you can do to convert [undefined] to json. it's too bad that it doesn't just throw but nothing on the web adopts that kind of approach.

the real fuckup is having js code outside of a serializer that treats null differently from undefined.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Chalks posted:

nice

the best part is that it's a huge pain to debug because even if you check the value of the variable, the only thing to indicate that anything is amiss is the quotes

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Soiled Meat
i wonder how much overhead is incurred by javascript to do all the "magic" that makes it a poo poo language for brain dead morons to easily write trash

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

a weird one I encountered once was with sql. If you have a varchar column that has 999 integers as strings and one actual string, if you query it with an integer value the planner will attempt to cast the entire column to an integer dynamically which a) murders performance and b) blows up if there is a non-castable value. I think there was some logic behind this but seems like it would have been better to just reject the query with a type mismatch

of its not an issue if you set your column types properly.

we have a table with a status column. statuses are all ints. the column is, of course, an nvarchar(10).

so you need to query it using where status = N'1' etc, or you will be unnecessarily hurting performance. every single value in there is an integer so (un)fortunately queries don't raise errors if you do it wrong

i really dislike the sql type system

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

c tp s: this system/data model architecture thing is kinda fun but im burning through paper in no time, drawing revisions of entity lifecycle diagrams and taking various notes. so far the big hurdles feels to get everyone to stop spouting ideas before we draw ourselves into some exceedingly specific corner

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

so far the big hurdles feels to get everyone to stop spouting ideas before we draw ourselves into some exceedingly specific corner

welcome to systems engineering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Everyone get ready for a wild ride because california voters just authorized the state to adopt year round DST, based on the argument that DST switching causes heart attacks strokes and incontinence