Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
The supergroup comprised of Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers, and Lucy Dacus named boygenius dropped their EP early. It is real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

angrygodofjebus posted:

The supergroup comprised of Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers, and Lucy Dacus named boygenius dropped their EP early. It is real good.

drat, only three songs. I've been loving Bite the Hand for awhile and was hoping for a bit more to be released. They are going on tour soon, are they just going to be playing mostly their own solo stuff?

E>> Ok it's 6 songs, what the poo poo Spotify.

E2>> Souvenir :gerty:

Slandible fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 26, 2018

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
:siren: AWESOME NEW MUSIC OUT! :siren:

This may be a little too energetic for all you washed-out warbling vocalist lovers.

Generationals - Beggars in the House of Plenty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF8QPMiLFPM

Oberhofer - Dreamt I Was Gonna Be Your Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tpeL9hrk4M

These are some loving sick tracks. Oddly similar video aesthetics too.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Let's not go too far by saying good things about Led Zeppelin.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
A couple nights ago I saw Pool Kids, Retirement Party, awakebutstillinbed, and Mom Jeans in Orlando. I recommend them all, as they were all great, but I highly recommend Retirement Party. They were my favorite of the bunch.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Last night I saw The Twilight Sad and they put on a solid show. New songs sound good. New album is out in January. Their lead singer moves in ways I don't normally see live. He's not trying to be cool or whatever. It's like he's half jamming with the songs, half fighting to get past their emotion. That's a bad description but it's awesome to see and adds an interesting element to their live show.

They also played a Frightened Rabbit song in tribute to Scott Hutchinson and it was very cool.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I love The Twilight Sad. James leaves it all on stage. It's a strong comparison, but the guy reminds me a bit of Ian Curtis the way he seems to get lost in the music. Tremendous band, and I can't wait to see them live.

So decent of them to pay tribute to Scott Hutchinson.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Slandible posted:

They are going on tour soon, are they just going to be playing mostly their own solo stuff?

Apparently "The tour will see them swapping places on the bill for individual sets, and sharing the stage at the encore" so that sounds pretty badass.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Ya, I am probably going to see them, just wondered how their format was going to be. I loving love Souvenir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfxeHY_kaHE

Who wronged Julien Baker!? :saddowns:

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
New Deerhunter

Next LP out in January

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Took my daughter to see Girlpool & Porches (and Palberta) at Bottom Lounge last night.

Palberta was entertaining. Girlpool was great, and I really enjoyed Porches. Never really clicked with them on Spotify, but live they have a great sound.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

New Toro Y Moi announced last week, coming out in January. First song is similar to some stuff Chaz has done recently with other artists and I'm liking it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm6hDWBZXc4

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/andrewbird/status/1058214943697354752

It's different (for him), timely and pretty great, if I may say so.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Muncie Girls North American dates cancelled due to visa issues :(

I had my ticket in my grubby little hands. Well, will call

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Is there a specific name for this generation's post-dubstep EDM pop with the trappy beats?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Alan Smithee posted:

Is there a specific name for this generation's post-dubstep EDM pop with the trappy beats?

Pop music.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Did I mention the Robyn album yet?

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

Bought tickets to see Car Seat Headrest in February, so that's pretty sick.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Seeing Reuben and the Dark tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UV6cr1_eIs

and Dear Rouge tomorrow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObTzX2kmzBA

Gonna be a good couple days, I tell ya

e: Youngblood Blonde Diamond is opening for Dear Rouge, and I'm incredibly stoked for them too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVpYcO5P_y8

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Scored tickets to see Julien Baker in February within twenty minutes of the show being announced. I think that's the fastest I've ever bought tickets.

I'm also going to a whole bunch of local acts in December, I might do an effort post later about them all.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Saw St. Lucia and it was awesome, but their opening band Arkells was loving TERRIBLE.. yet many people seemed into it and were singing along. The vocalist was awful, and the songs weren't very catchy. No clue how that band has a following.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I must have missed Dear Rouge when they came thru Chicago, just like I missed Let's Eat Grandma bc for some reason I was convinced they would be here in November but I was so wrong.

I should get me some tickets for Young Fathers and for Charly Bliss tho. And yesterday I saw Laura Jane Grace & Devouring Mothers do a set at the JBTV studios. It was pretty small, and pretty great. Tonight we go to see them play at the Hideout. A November filled with shows. A good November.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I am seeing Boygenius this weekend, prepared to get real sad and stuff.

Also speaking of Charly Bliss, they got added to this bill here in January. I guess this line up is ok.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gently caress, Dear Rouge is so incredible live.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress, Dear Rouge is so incredible live.

I have definitely fallen in love with them again this year after their album and show. I just wish they came my way more than once every three years.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

T Bowl posted:

Saw St. Lucia and it was awesome, but their opening band Arkells was loving TERRIBLE.. yet many people seemed into it and were singing along. The vocalist was awful, and the songs weren't very catchy. No clue how that band has a following.

I skipped the show but kind of regret it now. I've seen them live twice before and yeah, they're amazing live. But the new album suuuuucckked so I passed.

And yes the Arkells are awdul. Actually there's a whole garbage pile of awful Canadian indie-rock bands.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
boygenius in Boston was loving awesome, don't miss that tour if it plays locally.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Anonymous John posted:

boygenius in Boston was loving awesome, don't miss that tour if it plays locally.

I am tomorrow! I read New York's setlist was like 30+ songs between the three and EP. How long was it?

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Is this the right thread for Tyler Childers? New country / Americana / indie? IDK. I'm going to see him in a few hours and I am super pumped!! I had listened to his Purgatory album last year a bunch and liked it, but over the last few days I have been watching live poo poo on Youtube and god drat that boy can sing.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Yeah this or the alt-country/bluegrass/etc thread. I saw him this summer and he's really good live. He came to Minneapolis recently and he must have booked the show ages ago because it was sold out to the max. Venue of about 1000 capacity, and the $20 tickets were being resold for I think like $80 or $100.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Just discovered Tancred by way of them opening for Joy Formidable and I am very down with this

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I first saw Bridgers at Ciclavia/LA phil 100 and she was the one good about that for me, as the person I was meeting there stood me up.

I had no idea who she was but I dug it.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

Slandible posted:

I am seeing Boygenius this weekend, prepared to get real sad and stuff.

Also speaking of Charly Bliss, they got added to this bill here in January. I guess this line up is ok.

Yooo. Retirement Party is loving great. Would definitely recommend.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Well, Boygenius and Julien Baker loving emotionally destroyed me.

I've been trying to see Baker for almost two years now and it just never lined up for me. She is absolutely incredible and I'm in love with her live singing style.

Boygenius is seriously unreal. I would have payed even if it was only those six songs. I don't know Bridgers or Lucy well, but they too have amazing vocals. The synergy of those three playing together is something of its own. You can detect influences of them in songs, but it is not a mash up of just three people.

God drat this year has been one of the best years in music I've experienced, so many new great discoveries. I think I've been to 13 now and haven't run into a bad one yet.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 12, 2018

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Slandible posted:

Well, Boygenius and Julien Baker loving emotionally destroyed me.

I've been trying to see Baker for almost two years now and it just never lined up for me. She is absolutely incredible and I'm in love with her live singing style.

Boygenius is seriously unreal. I would have payed even if it was only those six songs. I don't know Bridgers or Lucy well, but they too have amazing vocals. The synergy of those three playing together is something of its own. You can detect influences of them in songs, but it is not a mash up of just three people.

God drat this year has been one of the best years in music I've experienced, so many new great discoveries. I think I've been to 13 now and haven't run into a bad one yet.

Oh man. I'm tempted if they're as good as you say. They're playing in LA at the end of the month.

I've been to 5 this year they've all been awesome.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Slandible posted:

For others curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sfYpolGCu8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WDZdT04ls4

Night Shift is quite possibly one of the best songs I've ever heard

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

New album from The Revivalists, their music definitely makes me feel good: https://open.spotify.com/album/10cYvuRfY8IpASva845zgF?si=n0afdrUDQzaCWzruGs1ViQ

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Yeah this or the alt-country/bluegrass/etc thread. I saw him this summer and he's really good live. He came to Minneapolis recently and he must have booked the show ages ago because it was sold out to the max. Venue of about 1000 capacity, and the $20 tickets were being resold for I think like $80 or $100.

I missed the show for dumb reasons and I am very sad. :(

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Sky Ferreira announced today Masochism is coming out this winter! I have doubts, but just maybe it will.

Edit>> I have listened to nothing but Baker, Bridgers, and Boygenius since Sunday. I am still just blown away.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I made a boygenius playlist to listen to and now I can't stop crying