Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if you're willing to dump a grand in to finding the car why not just find a decent dealer to work with and buy the car from them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I used my credit union's purchasing service. I told them what i was looking for in the way of model, trims and colors. They did the legwork of finding dealers, gave me a couple options and when I selected the car i wanted the dealer delivered it to my front door. All this was conducted over email, no haggling or anything, just "here's the Crosstrek you want, here's what it will cost minus title and transfer".

Edit: They came in slightly under the quotes i was getting locally from dealers over email too, since the dealer they went with was a fleet dealer in Monterey instead of some place in the bay area.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you're willing to dump a grand in to finding the car why not just find a decent dealer to work with and buy the car from them

Yeah, I don't really see the point of paying someone $500 so you can maybe (if you're lucky) get $500 off the price of the car. You're not actually saving any money.

Unless the dealer is known to be absolute scum, just go in and tell them what you want.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Here's something: we've been considering getting a Consumer Reports subscription. Looks like they have a car buying service as well.

Are there any differences in these services? Or will they all generally net the same price from dealers?

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

DaveSauce posted:

Here's something: we've been considering getting a Consumer Reports subscription. Looks like they have a car buying service as well.

Are there any differences in these services? Or will they all generally net the same price from dealers?

Check to see if your library offers free consumer reports accounts. Their service basically just let's you contact local dealerships with an upfront price. I think I used it to find dealerships that had cars with options I wanted, but I contacted the dealers directly.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Anyone have any experience buying a used Tesla? It's an S so the reliability seems to be pretty good.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

DaveSauce posted:

Has anyone used a car buying service like Automatch?

We're going to be in the market for a new car for my wife soon. She has a 2007 forester and loves the hell out of it, so we want to put her in a 2019 forester, likely one of the top trims. I've been hearing that pre-orders are through the roof, so I anticipate problems getting our hands on one and also getting a decent price.

Also we both work full time and we have a 13 month old kid, so the whole going to/from dealers and shopping/comparing/negotiating thing is going to be a PITA.

I realize there's no guarantee, but looks like the "premium" package for this company is $500, so they could easily pay for themselves in the negotiation phase. I'm poo poo at negotiation, and the problem we have is that we always research and figure out exactly what we want ahead of time (for cars and everything else), so we're at a severe disadvantage of not being willing to settle for the alternatives.

When my ex wife cracked up her 2015 FiST, I had to replace it, so I tried Carvana.

What a bunch of gently caress sticks.

1.) The particular car that I ordered via Carvana, two days before scheduled delivery suddenly "was no longer available"
2.) The "replacement" car for that one was scheduled to be delivered on July 10th.
3.) When I called on July 9th to confirm they said yes, be at the delivery spot by 9:00 AM tomorrow.
4.) At noon on the 10th, still no car. I called and they told me that "There was a problem with delivery we won't be able to deliver until the 19th".
5.) Two days later "The car was damaged in transit, we are sending it to a repair center, we will have it done by the 25th". Sorry for any inconvenience. When pressed about what happened they said that they think that the car delivery folks damaged the roof. Uh what???
6.) Two days later? Another call that they are not sure it will be done by the 25th.

So I cancelled the order. Or rather had to fight with them to cancel the order. They wanted to take 250 dollars off of the price of the car (18k). Mind you this was a 2017 FiST with less than 6000 miles on it.

The manager I talked to was a total bag of cocks. Didn't want to try to help didn't do jack poo poo. Finally got them to cancel the order.

Found out 4 days later the car was sold two states south for 24.5k (which is what a new FiST costs with the Recaros).

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I also had a poor prospective purchasing experience with Carvana. They won't take any money off the price no matter how much they screw up usually, and their prices are not competitive. Separate from my personal experience I think people value a level of convenience highly so I think they'll do well commercially. I don't think it's for me.

For those who didn't know it was created as and used to be a part of DriveTime which is like a crappier CarMax clone?

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Something Offal posted:

I also had a poor prospective purchasing experience with Carvana. They won't take any money off the price no matter how much they screw up usually, and their prices are not competitive. Separate from my personal experience I think people value a level of convenience highly so I think they'll do well commercially. I don't think it's for me.

Yep, agree with you totally here. They suck but most people would rather deal with something that sucks to do it for them, than do it themselves.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All that sounds way less convenient then just going to a dealership, especially if the prices aren’t that competitive to begin with.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
I recently was selling a car and was in a hurry to sell. Carvana reached out to me with an offer on the low side but way above what other dealerships were offering. They also offered to pick it up at my house and gave me 7 days to decide.

On the 6th day I hadn't gotten any bites private party, so I decided to accept their offer. After jumping through the hoops of their online process, I couldn't get them to honor the offer. They insisted it was expired and made a new offer for $150 less. They also said I had to drop the car off 40 miles away.

Suffice to say, I said gently caress you, dropped the price of my ad to their original offer, and sold it private party within 48 hours.

Hate the bait and switch.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
I'm looking to replace my 03 Forester as this is the 4th time in 9 years that it's blown a head gasket. DD to and from work (50km round trip), very occasionally haul the kids in it. Does anyone have any opinions on this car? It seems like a good deal, but is that too cheap for a 2013 with that low mileage? I've bought from that dealer before and they're definitely on the shadier side of things. Or is there a good reason for that model in particular to be so cheap?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EKDS5k posted:

I'm looking to replace my 03 Forester as this is the 4th time in 9 years that it's blown a head gasket. DD to and from work (50km round trip), very occasionally haul the kids in it. Does anyone have any opinions on this car? It seems like a good deal, but is that too cheap for a 2013 with that low mileage? I've bought from that dealer before and they're definitely on the shadier side of things. Or is there a good reason for that model in particular to be so cheap?

The 2013 focus has a bad reputation because that gen had GARBAGE auto transmissions and a major recall. So overall the focus brand is cheap on resale market. You picked out a manual which are hard to sell. But this is still 1-3 thousand under regular market value for that km. I am wondering if its possibly a former rental or even had major work. Ask for the carfax.

Compare to other prices for same car..

https://www.autotrader.ca/cars/ford...=advancedSearch

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I'm sorry for the dumb question, but I haven't bought a car in over a decade.

Is there a way to see how dealer incentives + dealer financing compares to dealer incentives + bank/CU financing? I'm assuming I'll get the best rate with my credit score, but don't see how paying APR to my credit union is better than financing with the auto company. What am I missing? I'm not doing any tradeins.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Is there some reason there are suddenly (like within the last 1-2 weeks) a bunch of used 2018 E400 coupes with corporate fleet and dealer title priors in my area? Where did they come from?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=493868737
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=463354406
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=498275215
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=497774443
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=498695296
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=497481068
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=497505371

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Probably service loaners from the MB dealer.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

skipdogg posted:

Probably service loaners from the MB dealer.

Likely this. Could also be press cars, or some sort of fleet car for employees.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I guess buying any of those would probably be a bad plan?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

press cars hard no, loaners no, employee fleet eeeh

but it's hard to tell the difference

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I'm sorry for the dumb question, but I haven't bought a car in over a decade.

Is there a way to see how dealer incentives + dealer financing compares to dealer incentives + bank/CU financing? I'm assuming I'll get the best rate with my credit score, but don't see how paying APR to my credit union is better than financing with the auto company. What am I missing? I'm not doing any tradeins.

just to clean up some language - there are dealer "incentives" which are generally just discounts and price supports that an individual dealer offers to get a deal, and there are manufacturer supported incentives, which are offered across all dealers in region. similarly there is dealer financing, which is from a third party usually fairly reputable bank or banks through the dealer, and manufacturer financing (BMW Financial Services, Volkswagen Credit, etc). These are not the same.

usually, the manufacturer offers financing support in lieu of other cash based incentives - so there may be $1,500 consumer cash on the hood, but there isn't if you take BMWFS' 0.9% 60 month X down special rate.

your options are essentially

1) Dealer price - OEM cash incentives with BYO financing
2) Dealer price - OEM cash incentives with dealer financing
3) Dealer price - OEM cash incentives (which you may not fully qualify for because you are taking the OEM financing) with OEM financing

calculate your total OTD price, take out your down payment amount, look at rate and term, and voila, you have your total cost that you can compare.

Let's say that the dealer is quoting you a cost of $32,000 OTD for a car, all in with taxes, registration, etc, but before any OEM incentives. Since you are currently a competitive brand lessee, the OEM is going to give you five hundred bucks. The OEM is also going to offer you either $1,000 in cash on the hood, or a 1.9% 60 month loan. You plan to put 5,500 down on the car. You can get a rate of 2.9% through your local bank and have been preapproved for an appropriate amount, and the dealer will give you a rate of 3.5%

1) $32,000 - ($500 + $1000) = $30,500. Less your downpayment brings you to $25,000. Through your own financing, you are going to pay $1886 in interest on 60 months.
2) $32,000 - ($500 + $1000) = $30,500. Less your downpayment brings you to $25,000. Through the dealer's financing, you are going to pay $2,228 in interest on 60 months.
2) $32,000 - ($500) = $30,500. Less your downpayment brings you to $26,000. Through the manufacturer's financing, you are going to pay $1,275 in interest on 60 months, but you've paid a thousand bucks more for the car so your total cost is going to be higher than if you had taken either of the other financing options.

Basically - just do the math as above and you'll be able to figure it out.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Great, thanks! I didn't know dealer was different from manufacturer. I don't trust anyone with my PII, so that somewhat figures into the deal. I'll crunch that after coffee this morning.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
Car recommendation (via template)
Proposed Budget: $30k or less. Hopefully much less.
New or Used: Used. Possibly lease, but greatly prefer used.
Body Style: Compact or Midsized
How will you be using the car?: Congested city driving (Greater Boston area).
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)
This is a car for my wife.

What I'm looking to stick with
  • Something that is reliable. Personally, I drive a 2004 Honda Pilot that I spent around $6k on. It's got approaching 150k miles and is still going strong. When it does have an issue, it's something trivial for my mechanic to fix.
  • Something that handles well in the snow. This is New England, after all.
  • Something nimble (including reasonable in the snow, so I'm not sure if that rules out a miata)
  • Something easy to park in a congested city. (So, not another used Pilot). Self-parking would be amazing, but not required. I can install an aftermarket rear view camera if needed.
  • Speed isn't really that important, but if the 0-60 is so bad my that Pilot can give it a run for its money, we'll have a problem. I'm looking at you, Elantra.
  • She wants something comfy. Heated seats, dual climate control a plus. Sunroof or convertible a plus too but nowhere near necessary.

What's new to me - modern safety features:
  • When I drove in a CTS (rental), I had a holographic display showing us the cars around us. There was a HUD telling us the speed limit (which was sometimes wrong). The wheel tried to force me to stay in the lane (even when I tried to exit a highway). There was a collision warning system that shook the seat along with a popup on the holographic hud of the direction (even when I was stopped at a light and a pedestrian was walking towards us). There aws parking camera which simulated an overhead view of the car (ok, I admit that one was cool), and an easy to use parking assist that could auto-park in seemingly impossible spots (which was also cool)

As you can guess by my comments, I hated most of these features and vastly preferred my Pilot's solution of having huge windows with massive mirrors that overlapped and gave me a view of everything. But she wants the tech.

• If it wasn't for that desire for tech, anything from a Focus to Forester* an M35 to a 2x series to an Accord/Civic to a Camry would do. But I'm really out of the loop with 1st party gadgets and gimmicks.
  • Red. I almost forgot this one, but it's important to her. She wants a red car.

Disclaimer: I never paid more than $20k for a car. I got very lucky when I bought used so far, and I've gotten my share of used cars. That said, I'm "old" and every car I had so far was simple. For example, if I wanted to add a GPS to my Pilot, I just took out the 2-Din tape player and replaced it with an after-market android-auto box with touch screen/etc. I know the newer cars have this stuff built in and don't like to be messed with, but aside from that I'm totally out of the loop.

*Edit: Love Subarus but I get scared when that make passes 80k miles.
*As for an awd 2 series, that's the only one that I'd think of leasing instead of buying.
*Edit2: She loves the look of a Mini.
*Edit3: The Infiniti M35, obviously not the army truck.

diadem fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 5, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ok a couple of points

1) all cars are fine in the snow with some very edge case exceptions. get snow tires.
2) lane departure systems will not try to keep you in your lane if you use your turn signals correctly and you can always turn them off
3) as a former South End resident i would not consider such things as an Infiniti M an appropriate size to park in the city but you do you
4) to get the tech you want, you are going to have to go relatively new, and at that point you should consider just buying new

the Mini is a perfectly OK choice for all your other criteria besides reliability, which is also true of another few suggestions that I will add which are

the Fiat 500 Abarth / 500c Abarth
the Volkswagen GTI

both of which meet all of your criteria except reliability. if you really want reliability i suggest very gently used:
mazda3
honda civic
any of the current gen of weird baby CUVs like the Buick Encore, Mazda CX-3, Toyota CHR, et al (except they're kind of slow)

I'm also going to point out as I tend to do in these threads that it's a car for your wife and at some level the less involved you are in the process the happier both of you will probably be.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Yeah, echoing Kyoon's points. There are literally dozens of different cars that could work for you, and the only way to narrow it down is to go drive some.

You can afford to be picky. Don't like the driving position? Axe it. Interior looks tacky? Axe it. Be honest and brutal. You've got a big list to work through.

Also echoing that if it's going to be your wife's car, stand back and let her do all the choosing. You can ask questions about what she likes or doesn't like, but honor her responses and don't try to talk her into anything.

My wife drives a minivan which is huge and I hate driving it. It's her car, though, and she loves it. That's all that matters. My daughter drives a SmartCar. I hate it too, for different reasons. But again, she loves it so I keep my mouth shut.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

ok a couple of points

1) all cars are fine in the snow with some very edge case exceptions. get snow tires.
2) lane departure systems will not try to keep you in your lane if you use your turn signals correctly and you can always turn them off
3) as a former South End resident i would not consider such things as an Infiniti M an appropriate size to park in the city but you do you
4) to get the tech you want, you are going to have to go relatively new, and at that point you should consider just buying new

the Mini is a perfectly OK choice for all your other criteria besides reliability, which is also true of another few suggestions that I will add which are

the Fiat 500 Abarth / 500c Abarth
the Volkswagen GTI

both of which meet all of your criteria except reliability. if you really want reliability i suggest very gently used:
mazda3
honda civic
any of the current gen of weird baby CUVs like the Buick Encore, Mazda CX-3, Toyota CHR, et al (except they're kind of slow)

I'm also going to point out as I tend to do in these threads that it's a car for your wife and at some level the less involved you are in the process the happier both of you will probably be.

The Fiat 500??? are you serious? Those things are the worst cars on the roads in North America. Tons of issues, low reliablity, and god help you if you get in ANY type of accident with them.

They are literally poo poo.

I would recommend the Mazda 3 as well. They are darn good vehicles. Reliable, safe and get decent gas milage.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

EvilMerlin posted:

The Fiat 500??? are you serious? Those things are the worst cars on the roads in North America. Tons of issues, low reliablity, and god help you if you get in ANY type of accident with them.

I would recommend the Mazda 3 as well. They are darn good vehicles. Reliable, safe and get decent gas milage.

They're tiny and good for getting around in cities. If that's a hugely important factor, you can live with the rest. It's all a matter of priorities. His priorities aren't necessarily yours.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I thought recent GTI reliability was supposed to be pretty decent (post 2010 or 15?) and certainly nowhere near being lumped together with the dumpster fire FCA products.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

EvilMerlin posted:

It's a linear recommendation for someone looking at the Minis. For City dweller, raking up less than 5k miles annually, it'll last long enough to trade it in 6 years down the road with minimal damage.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Deteriorata posted:

They're tiny and good for getting around in cities. If that's a hugely important factor, you can live with the rest. It's all a matter of priorities. His priorities aren't necessarily yours.

I would figure reliability and not loving dying to be high on most people's lists are there by default.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

As someone who used to live in boston, you should know why is is a problem for someone who lives in boston.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EvilMerlin posted:

I would figure reliability and not loving dying to be high on most people's lists are there by default.

dawg the Fiat 500 does well at everything except small overlap:

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/fiat/500-2-door-hatchback

and i specifically said it didn't meet the reliability requirement

nm posted:

As someone who used to live in boston, you should know why is is a problem for someone who lives in boston.

oh for sure

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The 500 did get bad scores on euroncap.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...
I will say again, the Fiat 500 is a piece of dangerous poo poo.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Fiat 500 is maybe the 20th best subcompact car on the market today.

There are about 21 in the category.

The only thing it has going for it is being stupid easy to park because its dangerously undersized, and its gets bonus points for being "zany and european" but really its just Chrysler poo poo.

Good small cars you can buy for around 20k

2017+ corolla
2018+ Any civic that doesn't have the turbo engine
2016+ Mazda 3
2018+ elantra

Good small suv things that will cost more like 25-30k
Rav4
CRV
Sante Fe

If you find you are more comfortable in the snow in a fake suv thing, I'd buy a RAV4.

But I've driven in DEEP snow in a corolla with good winters and driving appropriately and never got stuck or driven off the road.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the 500 abarth is still really fun to drive, cheap, very small, and interesting, and a logical thing to cross shop if people like the way MINIs look

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

zapplez posted:

The Fiat 500 is maybe the 20th best subcompact car on the market today.

There are about 21 in the category.

The only thing it has going for it is being stupid easy to park because its dangerously undersized, and its gets bonus points for being "zany and european" but really its just Chrysler poo poo.

Good small cars you can buy for around 20k

2017+ corolla
2018+ Any civic that doesn't have the turbo engine
2016+ Mazda 3
2018+ elantra

Good small suv things that will cost more like 25-30k
Rav4
CRV
Sante Fe

If you find you are more comfortable in the snow in a fake suv thing, I'd buy a RAV4.

But I've driven in DEEP snow in a corolla with good winters and driving appropriately and never got stuck or driven off the road.

I'd also add for 21k you can get the Fiesta ST which is a loving hoot to drive. Not a winter car at all. But drat its fun.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EvilMerlin posted:

I'd also add for 21k you can get the Fiesta ST which is a loving hoot to drive. Not a winter car at all. But drat its fun.

manual only, if that matters to the dude's wife

edit: also not available in red these days. i had a FoST in greater Boston and it was just fine with winter tires

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 5, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Any FWD car with ESC and snow tires will be fine in any urban or suburban environment unless you need to like get to the hospital or fire station because you're a nurse, doctor, or firefighter, etc.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

manual only, if that matters to the dude's wife

edit: also not available in red these days. i had a FoST in greater Boston and it was just fine with winter tires

Yeah FiST here, 90 minutes north of Boston, put winter tires (Blizzaks) on it and it was no problem.

Forgot it was stick only... but everyone should know how to drive a stick!

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the 500 abarth is still really fun to drive, cheap, very small, and interesting, and a logical thing to cross shop if people like the way MINIs look

The 500 abarth is another one of those goon love it cars that the general public doesnt care about and is probably a terrible choice for 99% of "non-car" people.

Dont buy a fiat goon wife.

And I wouldn't buy a focus/fiesta either unless they have somehow improved their auto transmissions as it was looking like it was close to a class action against them for how lovely they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The 500 was a cool car when it came out in 2007 or whatever but it's been unchanged ever since. It actually predates the Fiat/Chrysler tie-up, if anything it's a distant relation to some European market Fords.