Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If its possible for anything to be worse than a 2018 chrysler it just might be a 2007 Italian car.

edit : not to be all "gently caress the 500" but I could literally name 100 cars I'd recommend you buy before a 500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

zapplez posted:

The 500 abarth is another one of those goon love it cars that the general public doesnt care about and is probably a terrible choice for 99% of "non-car" people.

Dont buy a fiat goon wife.

And I wouldn't buy a focus/fiesta either unless they have somehow improved their auto transmissions as it was looking like it was close to a class action against them for how lovely they are.

everyone is recommending stick only ford hot hatches

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ah I didnt see the poster mention the wife wanted a manual so I assumed like 95% of car buyers she'd be looking for an auto

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
You also recommended a Hyundai Santa Fe which is a 3 row SUV the size of a Ford Explorer when she wants something easy to park with good visibility. I feel like you're bringing a pretty low level of information to this question.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
How terrible are Chrysler cars these days, actually? Are we talking "falls apart immediately" or "only makes it to 200k vs some goon darling that lives for a million miles *drives off in ancient land cruiser*"

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Throatwarbler posted:

You also recommended a Hyundai Santa Fe which is a 3 row SUV the size of a Ford Explorer when she wants something easy to park with good visibility. I feel like you're bringing a pretty low level of information to this question.

Sorry I meant Hyundai Tucson. I know from my experience talking to people shopping cars in Canada if they express a worry about it being good in the snow, they often want a small or mid size SUV.

And am I wrong but the Sante Fe is a mid size suv with option 3rd row seating in the "XL" model?

Either way Hyundai makes good cars and a good value for their SUVs compared to the big names.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 6, 2018

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

shovelbum posted:

How terrible are Chrysler cars these days, actually? Are we talking "falls apart immediately" or "only makes it to 200k vs some goon darling that lives for a million miles *drives off in ancient land cruiser*"

They are consistently rated in the bottom third or bottom quarter of manufactures by every big name in the car review business, whether its consumer reports or car and driver or whatever.

They have improved (slightly) in the past 5 years, but the previously emerging brands like Kia/Hyundai have improved far, far past Chrysler. Not to mention brands with previous history of poor reliability like Lincoln / Buick / Volvo and a few others have improved quite a bit as well.

In 2018 nearly all new cars are "reliable" compared to a new car purchased in 1995 or 1985. Its pretty hard to get stranded on the side of the road anymore. A lot of the difference in the brands is which one will have more errors on the infotainment that freezes your podcast or not. Each brand has a few good cars and a few bad cars. Even titans like Honda or Toyota have a few lemons or close to in their lineup with bad engines or severely outdated models, etc. I can name about 10 models of cars from great brands that have terrible reputation because of a common fault.

Chrysler only redeeming models are limited run enthusiast deathtraps like the Hellcat. Some Jeep SUVs are ok. The RAM trucks are ok when compared to other american trucks, but thats only because american trucks arent that great anyways compared to passenger cars.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

shovelbum posted:

Below average but getting better. Cerberus, particularly, set them back quite a bit and they're trying to catch up. They need to invest a ton of money in their QC and model development and they just haven't had it until the last couple years. The Pacifica minivan seems to be legitimately good, anyway.

Cars generally are much better built than they were even 10 years ago, so being below average doesn't mean terrible because the average is very high.

People do tend to have very strong opinions about them, though, primarily because Consumer Reports has had a bug up their rear end about Chrysler since Lee Iaccoca got government loan guarantees back in the 1979.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think an old classmate of mine is buying a hellcat lol

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

shovelbum posted:

Speaking as a government fleet maintenance guy, base Chrysler and Ram models have horrible reliability, even compared to Ford and GM, let alone Toyota and Honda. I can’t speak for more upscale models though, obviously.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

shovelbum posted:

I think an old classmate of mine is buying a hellcat lol

Sounds like someone is jealous of his sick ride.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Duck and Cover posted:

Def jealous

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Basically only buy FCA cars that are so cool you can deal with poo poo breaking.
Like a hellcat? Yeah. A dodge journey? Hahaha.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nm posted:

Basically only buy FCA cars that are so cool you can deal with poo poo breaking.
Like a hellcat? Yeah. A dodge journey? Hahaha.

Its pretty amazing the dodge journey went from one of the best selling cars in Canada to a phantom in just a few years. Tons of Canadians traded in their old dodge caravan and thought they were getting this cool little suv thing instead. Turns out almost all of them were off the road after 5 years because the Journey was one of the worst modern vehicles ever made. But people couldn't resist it for 22k CAD out the door when the RAV4 or similar was like 27k

I see more 90s volvo station wagons on the road today than 2010 dodge journeys

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I drive a lot of journeys as rentals and you can see the appeal as a family car that is inexpensive. But yeah god knows if they stay together last 50,000 Miles.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

zapplez posted:

Its pretty amazing the dodge journey went from one of the best selling cars in Canada to a phantom in just a few years. Tons of Canadians traded in their old dodge caravan and thought they were getting this cool little suv thing instead. Turns out almost all of them were off the road after 5 years because the Journey was one of the worst modern vehicles ever made. But people couldn't resist it for 22k CAD out the door when the RAV4 or similar was like 27k

I see more 90s volvo station wagons on the road today than 2010 dodge journeys

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Journey#Sales_global

Nah, sales went from strength to strength every year until the last two years or so. The 3.6l engine gave it a big boost in attractiveness. 2015 was its best year in the US and one of its best world wide. Lack of a competitive 4 cyl engine is the biggest problem, plus the plant being retooled to build more Jeeps. For a derivative of the *old* Sebring built on the former PT Cruiser line, over 150k units in 2015, comparable to the Highlander for example, makes it a very successful vehicle.

I have a real soft spot for the Journey for sentimental reasons and I think I'll pick one up once I get settled and make my first big paycheck next year, and start thinking about another kid.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 6, 2018

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Throatwarbler posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Journey#Sales_global

I have a real soft spot for the Journey for sentimental reasons and I think I'll pick one up once I get settled and make my first big paycheck next year, and start thinking about another kid.

Dont do it. Its pretty much literally the worst model in its class. Unless nostalgia will hold you over while it ends up in the shop every 3 months.

https://www.consumerreports.org/new-cars/10-of-the-lowest-rated-cars-for-2017/
https://bestlifeonline.com/worst-cars-30-years/

"2016 Dodge Journey
Fitting that crappy and forgettable car brand Dodge ends this harrowing automotive journey as they have racked up quite a number of “worst” cars over the years. This dated and rough SUV is filled with old tech that works OK, but feels unrefined and has already been singled out for below-average reliability. The base comes with a 173-horsepower, 4-cylinder engine, which God help you if you attempt to haul the seven passenger maximum."

"On paper, this midsized SUV may sound compelling, but in our tests we found that the Journey has a confining interior and lacks agility, and the V6 delivers the worst fuel economy in its class. Plus, it suffers from below-average reliability and poor performance in IIHS small-overlap frontal crash tests. Even though it rides well and has a relatively quiet cabin, families may be deterred by the snug third-row seat. The Journey is late in its model run, with discounts commonplace. But don’t be tempted. This low-rated model is a poor value anywhere—even at the airport rental lot. "

Also on the worst cars list : Fiat 500 as worst compact car

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Duck and Cover posted:

Sick as in the shop all the time. If I'm not mistaken over 60% of all the Hellcats sold have been in the shop for more than a week for one reason or another, and the Hellcat currently has a very high lemon law return rate...

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

zapplez posted:

And I wouldn't buy a focus/fiesta either unless they have somehow improved their auto transmissions as it was looking like it was close to a class action against them for how lovely they are.

The auto transmissions were fixed in late 2015. It was a software issue.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sure, but it also has 700 horsepower.

Where else can you buy a car with 700 horsepower for that price?

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

Domestic-cars.txt

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Internet Explorer posted:

If you can't drive the thing 25% of the loving time what does it matter?

Where else? I can buy a 2015 Mustang GT or Camaro SS for around 20k, drop in a 6000 dollar KB or Whipple 2l+ super charger and get 700 HP after adding in about 9000 dollars more for the Camaro or 4000 dollars more for the Mustang.

So thats around 30k to get a Mustang to 700 HP or 35k to get a Camaro there...

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Hi car buying thread, can you tell me about Opel cars? Or is that too localized?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

EvilMerlin posted:

Sick as in the shop all the time. If I'm not mistaken over 60% of all the Hellcats sold have been in the shop for more than a week for one reason or another, and the Hellcat currently has a very high lemon law return rate...

I am guessing a lot of them are pretty heavily abused by whoever would buy one

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

EvilMerlin posted:

If you can't drive the thing 25% of the loving time what does it matter?

Where else? I can buy a 2015 Mustang GT or Camaro SS for around 20k, drop in a 6000 dollar KB or Whipple 2l+ super charger and get 700 HP after adding in about 9000 dollars more for the Camaro or 4000 dollars more for the Mustang.

So thats around 30k to get a Mustang to 700 HP or 35k to get a Camaro there...

Yeah, but when you break you modded mustang or Camaro, you don't have a warranty or lemon law.

I returned a 2017 ford focus rental with 33k mi today. Told the enterprise guy that the transmission felt borked (wouldn't downshift) and he was like, yeah they all do that at like 30k. Car is headed to be sold anyhow.
Buy a rental car (and a ford focus auto).

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Need recommendation

My current car is a 2010 Camry. 100k miles, so I drive a bit. However, I'm leaving the country in just under two weeks and I frankly don't know if my car can deal with Canadian winters. So, I'm selling my car to my parents for a song, relatively speaking. And I'm looking for a nicer vehicle for me. I'm moving from Virginia to Nova Scotia, so while I've driven in snow before, probably not the amounts that Canada will surprise me with. I've been eyeing (and test drove) the Volvo XC40, but with potential availability and reliability issues, I don't want to rest on my laurels for exactly that, if I'm either going to have to wait months for the vehicle or I'm potentially buying a lemon.

(I'll have a rental car for several weeks so while I need to look at cars "quickly", I'm not in an insane rush to get one right now.)

Proposed Budget: $0-$35K USD.
New or Used: Either.
How will you be using the car?: Commute to and from work, maybe some exploring around Halifax and the rest of Nova Scotia, but nothing "off-road."
What aspects are most important to you? In order: 1) Reliability 2) Comfort 3) Space 4) Everything Else.
Body Style: CUV, Sedan, small SUV. No coupes, trucks or behemoth SUVs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

pidan posted:

Hi car buying thread, can you tell me about Opel cars? Or is that too localized?

I will gladly talk about Opel with you. What do you want to know?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DarkSol posted:

Need recommendation

My current car is a 2010 Camry. 100k miles, so I drive a bit. However, I'm leaving the country in just under two weeks and I frankly don't know if my car can deal with Canadian winters. So, I'm selling my car to my parents for a song, relatively speaking. And I'm looking for a nicer vehicle for me. I'm moving from Virginia to Nova Scotia, so while I've driven in snow before, probably not the amounts that Canada will surprise me with. I've been eyeing (and test drove) the Volvo XC40, but with potential availability and reliability issues, I don't want to rest on my laurels for exactly that, if I'm either going to have to wait months for the vehicle or I'm potentially buying a lemon.

(I'll have a rental car for several weeks so while I need to look at cars "quickly", I'm not in an insane rush to get one right now.)

How will you be using the car?: Commute to and from work, maybe some exploring around Halifax and the rest of Nova Scotia, but nothing "off-road."
What aspects are most important to you? In order: 1) Reliability 2) Comfort 3) Space 4) Everything Else.

Keep your current car you maroon

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DarkSol posted:

Need recommendation

Canadians buy 15,000 Camrys every year. What makes you think it can't deal with a Canadian winter?

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Deteriorata posted:

Canadians buy 15,000 Camrys every year. What makes you think it can't deal with a Canadian winter?

It's my particular car that I don't think would. I've had some issues with it that I don't really want to put up with in a location I am unfamiliar with. My parents are going into the purchase of my car knowing these issues and are fine with it.

Plus I would just like something newer. I've never really been all that happy with the Camry and this significant change to my life presents an opportunity to get something different.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

nm posted:

Yeah, but when you break you modded mustang or Camaro, you don't have a warranty or lemon law.

I returned a 2017 ford focus rental with 33k mi today. Told the enterprise guy that the transmission felt borked (wouldn't downshift) and he was like, yeah they all do that at like 30k. Car is headed to be sold anyhow.
Buy a rental car (and a ford focus auto).

And it seems to be much the same case with a lot of the Hellcat and Demon owners. Dodge is claiming a lot "well you raced it we are not covering it" bullshit.

Using a rental as comparison to much of anything is a foolish endeavor, no one knows what the hell was done to them.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Keep your current car you maroon

This. if it is working and you don't owe money on it. Drive the loving thing into the ground.

Canadian winters? Snow tires. Keep salt and sand in the trunk and two 2 foot lengths of 1x6s.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

EvilMerlin posted:

Using a rental as comparison to much of anything is a foolish endeavor, no one knows what the hell was done to them.
Generally, I'd agree, but when their response is that they all break transmissions, something is up. Yeah, it won't die in 30k, but I'd worry about 100.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DarkSol posted:

Need recommendation

I know I am beating a dead horse but the Camry would have been fine in the snow. I've driven one personally that was the same model year and driven through terrible snow storms. The only real advantage a SUV or 4WD have is for getting OUT of ditches. If anything, cars tend to stop quicker than truck/SUVs in the snow. The only time they are better at getting around is when there is 6 or more inches of snow on an unplowed highway, and in that circumstance, stay home.

That being said, if you want a little SUV/CUV you should go test drive a Mazda 5 and RAV4 and a Tucson. They are all great cars and all reliable. Maybe consider a Tiguan if you are ok with a bit more maintenance if you want to try something german.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I will gladly talk about Opel with you. What do you want to know?

Thank you!

I'm considering buying a car, and one of the cars I've been looking at is an Opel Corsa E from 2015. I've never owned a car or used one regularly, so I have no clue.

Motivation: I mostly want a car because the place where I live right now is structured so that most things we want to go to are spread out over a bunch of towns with mountains in between and the train and bus connections are really bad. My work commute works well by bus so I don't need a car for that. We'll be moving to a better city in about 6 months, and there I may use the car to get to certain places that are hard to reach by public transport or doing little overland excursions, or maybe I'll sell it again.

The Opel: I like that it's relatively cheap at 9400€ and it seems like a pretty "normal" car that might be easy to resell. It seems about the right size to be suitable for city and overland driving. It has a good 101 horsepower motor and the seats and controls look nice and quality.
It has driven 55000 km already which seems a bit high. I've looked it up on the internet, and people seem happy with this kind of car. But they say it has a tire pressure monitoring system that makes it harder to get / install winter tires. It also eats 6L / 100km which seems high. There's also a listing of 75€ maintenance cost per month, that's probably an average of various people's high and low results.

So I wonder:
Is this overall the right kind of car to get?
Are there any known problems with Opels or Corsas specifically?
How many kms are too many, for a used car to have driven?
The seller who has it has a bunch of other Opels and Fords as well, including one that's basically the same as this but newer, for 15000€. The ford transmission problem is only for automatic transmissions, right?

It's this type of car, but black:

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

nm posted:

Generally, I'd agree, but when their response is that they all break transmissions, something is up. Yeah, it won't die in 30k, but I'd worry about 100.

Ranks right up there with the Subarus.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

zapplez posted:

I know I am beating a dead horse but the Camry would have been fine in the snow. I've driven one personally that was the same model year and driven through terrible snow storms. The only real advantage a SUV or 4WD have is for getting OUT of ditches. If anything, cars tend to stop quicker than truck/SUVs in the snow. The only time they are better at getting around is when there is 6 or more inches of snow on an unplowed highway, and in that circumstance, stay home.

That being said, if you want a little SUV/CUV you should go test drive a Mazda 5 and RAV4 and a Tucson. They are all great cars and all reliable. Maybe consider a Tiguan if you are ok with a bit more maintenance if you want to try something german.

If you are looking at the Mazda 5, Rav4 and Tuscon, take a look at the 2019 Edge as well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DarkSol posted:

Plus I would just like something newer. I've never really been all that happy with the Camry and this significant change to my life presents an opportunity to get something different.

if this is what you want, say so, rather than bleating on about how your Camry can't drive in snow

pidan posted:

Thank you!

I'm considering buying a car, and one of the cars I've been looking at is an Opel Corsa E from 2015. I've never owned a car or used one regularly, so I have no clue.

Motivation: I mostly want a car because the place where I live right now is structured so that most things we want to go to are spread out over a bunch of towns with mountains in between and the train and bus connections are really bad. My work commute works well by bus so I don't need a car for that. We'll be moving to a better city in about 6 months, and there I may use the car to get to certain places that are hard to reach by public transport or doing little overland excursions, or maybe I'll sell it again.

The Opel: I like that it's relatively cheap at 9400 and it seems like a pretty "normal" car that might be easy to resell. It seems about the right size to be suitable for city and overland driving. It has a good 101 horsepower motor and the seats and controls look nice and quality.
It has driven 55000 km already which seems a bit high. I've looked it up on the internet, and people seem happy with this kind of car. But they say it has a tire pressure monitoring system that makes it harder to get / install winter tires. It also eats 6L / 100km which seems high. There's also a listing of 75 maintenance cost per month, that's probably an average of various people's high and low results.

So I wonder:
Is this overall the right kind of car to get?
Are there any known problems with Opels or Corsas specifically?
How many kms are too many, for a used car to have driven?
The seller who has it has a bunch of other Opels and Fords as well, including one that's basically the same as this but newer, for 15000€. The ford transmission problem is only for automatic transmissions, right?

It's this type of car, but black:

If you're moving in six months I'd probably stick it out if you don't plan to use the car much in the future. You'll have to get insurance and a bunch of other poo poo, and in general the car buying/selling process is a pain in the rear end. In general before you get to this specific Corsa, I have a few questions:
1. where exactly are you?
2. when you say "we" is that you and a significant other or is this including kids and stuff?
3. what kind of driving? mostly in town? motorway/autoroute/autobahn stuff? going to IKEA to get four bookcases?
4. how far are you driving and how often?

The 1.6L is going to be quite reliable at the cost of eating some more gas compared to the smaller turbo engines on the higher trims. Performance is a little less good than the turbo engines. But I don't think it matters to you too much since you won't drive all that much. The Corsas I have driven have mostly been 1.0 turbos. They're pretty decent to drive, good sight lines, decent interiors, fairly logical layout to everything. I think the usable space is less good than equivalent VWAG products so I'd also look at the Skoda Fabia. The Fiesta is generally good although I think it's a bit more rattly and only has issues with automatic transmissions. The new one is outstanding but that's well out of your price range. I'm also partial to the Renault Clio particularly in diesel engines.

In general: cars can drive a lot with very little maintenance and repair. The equivalent of 10,000 miles a year is below the US average, so this car has not been abused in any way. Figure 15,000 kms a year is a pretty reasonable amount to put on a car, and if it's that much, a lot is likely low-impact autoroute driving. there are a few preventative maintenance services that crop up around 50,000kms on most cars, so check the service history and maintenance schedule. You should need very little in terms of replacement parts other than stuff like wiper blades, lubricants/oil/filters until about 100k kms, at which point you'll likely need some brake wear parts serviced.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

EvilMerlin posted:

Ranks right up there with the Subarus.

I'll never recommend an ej255/7 backed by a 5 speed to someone who like reliability.
But at least it will be fun, unlike an automatic focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EvilMerlin posted:

If you are looking at the Mazda 5, Rav4 and Tuscon, take a look at the 2019 Edge as well.

I think ya'll mean the CX-5... the regular Mazda 5 is a weird minivan. Also look at the CRV.