Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oddly enough it's been starting great for the last couple days, and the cranking actually sounds *stronger* than it did before. :shrug:

I'll do some troubleshooting this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
There you fixed it!

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I'm contemplating locker selections now before I regear.

I'm leaning towards a Detroit locker in the rear and a lunch box or selectable in the front. I feel like for my type of wheeling the lunchbox locker would be plenty again, as I've had one for over 5 years with no problems. This is my daily driver Jeep so I don't want to risk any bad road manners at the expense of heavy-duty lockability. I've never driven anything with a locked rear OR a full-time front locker. I'm going from 3.73 gears up to 4.56.

One catch is that a lunchbox locker is about $300, plus maybe $80 for the 3.73+up carrier that I would need since my axle is currently geared 3.07. I might find a used carrier.

Whatchu' think?

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 31, 2018

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Well I've got a burning hatred of Eaton ever since they told me they wouldn't sell me a part I needed for my locker "because it would cost nearly as much as a whole new locker" (comparison: same part for an OX locker for the same diff costs... 88 dollars, it's a thousand dollar locker) at any price, and left me remachining it myself at home. Then I bought a 250 dollar side and spider gear kit for it and it had flaws that never should have even made it past a visual inspection. And they make detroits.

Not saying don't buy it, just expect absolutely terrible support and parts availability if you break anything in it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Astonishing Wang posted:

I'm contemplating locker selections now before I regear.

I'm leaning towards a Detroit locker in the rear and a lunch box or selectable in the front. I feel like for my type of wheeling the lunchbox locker would be plenty again, as I've had one for over 5 years with no problems. This is my daily driver Jeep so I don't want to risk any bad road manners at the expense of heavy-duty lockability. I've never driven anything with a locked rear OR a full-time front locker. I'm going from 3.73 gears up to 4.56.

One catch is that a lunchbox locker is about $300, plus maybe $80 for the 3.73+up carrier that I would need since my axle is currently geared 3.07. I might find a used carrier.

Whatchu' think?
This is my exact setup (Detroit in the back, PowerRite in the front) and I love it.

You'll notice some clunking on full-lock turns, and a pretty big difference when flooring it through water in turns (rather than just sliding, you'll generally get a moment of slide, then it hooks and goes wherever it's pointed). There's also a slight tendency to wander right left on accel / decel, but it's correctable by having your hand on the wheel - I.e., very slight.

Do it!

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Since lunchbox lockers have been brought up if you put one up front and are in 2wd is the only thing you notice is clunking in tight turns?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Problems to look for in a 99 Cherokee 4.0? This would be pre-TUPY head, as I recall. Not sure what else to be aware of.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Rust.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Godholio posted:

Problems to look for in a 99 Cherokee 4.0? This would be pre-TUPY head, as I recall. Not sure what else to be aware of.

Rust is probably the main thing. I’ve owned one for 8 years and never had more than a simple driveway repair. There is stuff that will be wrong with all of them such as leaky valve gasket / oil filter mount / main seal, cracked exhaust manifolds, and saggy leaf springs. Bonus points if any of that stuff has been verifiably addressed in a relatively sane manner. If I was buying another one I would also take a gander in the coolant overflow and make sure it isn’t half full of brown sludge. Really though a 99 XJ is as “bulletproof” as a vehicle gets in my opinion.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Torn Quad Jones posted:

Since lunchbox lockers have been brought up if you put one up front and are in 2wd is the only thing you notice is clunking in tight turns?

Yep! It just kind of rattles and clanks while turning tight.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I just realized I've had my 99 XJ as a daily driver for 10 years now. It's up to 225k miles with just basic maintenance. I wanna get it up to at least 300k miles. :)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

What he said.

That's the last year of the 0630 head. Best year unless you ask SiF :v:

They're fine. Make sure it's not wrecked or rusty, the rest is bolt on stuff.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Awesome, thanks all.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Just got hired at advance so I can get that sweet sweet parts discount

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Locker talk - if you don't see much in the way of weather, then a detroit rear would be solid choice. Otherwise a selectable would be ideal. I have a manual trans & ~105" wheelbase with a detroit rear, and occasionally I'll get a gnarly clank on the road but it's no big deal. With 10" less wheelbase in a TJ it might be a little different, but if you aren't driving on icy/snowy roads regularly it shouldn't be overly risky.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I live in Baja where it's predominantly sand, maybe a few minutes of rain every year. I do go to the snow a time or two each year.

I just pulled the trigger on a Detroit for the rear and a lockrite for the front, along with the 4.56 ring and pinion sets and install kits. Also a solid diff cover for the d30. I'm getting a Dana 30 3.73+up carrier from a buddy. I think that's all I need. $1500 before labor :argh:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

The things you see on XJ facebook groups:

Apparently that is an "expensive and hard to get!" Chinese cherokee-clone front grill and the dude is very proud of it :psyduck:

i'm the 1/2" washer hood spacers

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That front end looks like poo poo, and I'm legit confused by the hood. Is it "to let the heat out" or something?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Meth. Not even once.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Godholio posted:

That front end looks like poo poo, and I'm legit confused by the hood. Is it "to let the heat out" or something?

It's either poorly fitted like the poorly installed Chinese front end or it's for heat extraction like some people do with stock hoods on drag cars. It works on the track, but from what I understand, it reduces the effectiveness of the cooling system at normal speeds on the road.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Godholio posted:

Yeah it's a pretty common "fix" for overheating that I used to see a lot in old forum posts when I was rebuilding my cooling system - add four or five washers to the hood bracket bolts to magically drop all temps by 20deg. There were also anecdotal posts about someone's brother's friend who got easily decapitated by the post-mod hood slicing through the windshield in a front-end collision.

Basically,

IOwnCalculus posted:

Meth. Not even once.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
:siren: AI Secret Santa is up! :siren:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

So my 1999 TJ is making a new awesome noise. It sounds like a bag of gravel is bouncing around under the passenger seat. From a quick google it seems like its probably the cat disintegrating into chunks. I've also noticed it hesitating a bit at highway speed especially when going up hills. My gut feeling is that these two things are probably connected :v:

My exhaust is all rusted to poo poo from the cat back so I'm thinking of pretty much replacing it from the downtube all the way back probably with a kit like this https://www.tdotperformance.ca/magnaflow-23227-direct-fit-catalytic-converters.html Then some sort of cat back exhaust kit that isn't crazy expensive.

I'm open to any advice though from people that have hosed around with jeep exhausts. I've never done anything exhaust related but it doesn't look that hard. Do you need to drop the transmission skid or is possible to feed it all through there ?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Well, add me to the list. Picked up a 18 GC Trailhawk diesel with safety package today. Didn't take any good pics before it got dark.

I haven't bought a new car since 2002 and a used one, my wife's 12 Volvo C70, in 2015. This space tech of adaptive cruise control and parking assist is crazy voodoo magic. I, of course, factored in a Mopar maxcare warranty into the budget as I assume I'll get the "FCA experience" at some point.

E:. I lurked in this thread for a looooonng time (fantasies of buying a Wrangler when I retire) prior to a red light runner crushing my 03 explorer this past June and forcing me to look for a new SUV. Thanks for the wisdom.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 10, 2018

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Well, add me to the list. Picked up a 18 GC Trailhawk diesel with safety package today. Didn't take any good pics before it got dark.

I haven't bought a new car since 2002 and a used one, my wife's 12 Volvo C70, in 2015. This space tech of adaptive cruise control and parking assist is crazy voodoo magic. I, of course, factored in a Mopar maxcare warranty into the budget as I assume I'll get the "FCA experience" at some point.

E:. I lurked in this thread for a looooonng time (fantasies of buying a Wrangler when I retire) prior to a red light runner crushing my 03 explorer this past June and forcing me to look for a new SUV. Thanks for the wisdom.

Why would you buy a loaded Grand Cherokee when you want a Wranlger?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Oh, I've always wanted a Wrangler as my fun vehicle. But I'm also a cheap bastard who obsessively saves for retirement so I don't have to work in my late 60's like my parents unless I want to. They collect cars and guns instead of IRA acounts. Things I'll need to sell to pay for their eventual care I assume.

I drove a 18 Rubicon at the Orange county Auto show in October when I was looking for a new road trip & family/dog car after ours got demolished. Wife and I agreed that Wrangler wouldn't fit the bill.

I drove the GC at the show too with the intention of eliminating it from my list of SUVs under consideration.

But we did like the Wrangler. A lot. My daughter may be getting a wrangler when she gets her license. Manual transmission of course....

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Avoid: 2008, 2012-14. Probably 2018, but we haven't yet learned all the gremlins that will plague the first year of the JL.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
On that note, is there a JK buyer's guide this thread recommends? Specifically for the 4-doors.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Installed some Poison Spyder aluminum narrow crusher flares today!

https://imgur.com/gallery/cGVFZA6

Had them powder coated to match the paint. Freakin love the new look. These things are awesome.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Evil SpongeBob posted:

No, i just don't understand how you came to decide on one four door jeep over another, that is cheaper and is functionally identical in day to day life, but you really want.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Oh gotcha. Less ride comfort and cargo space and my 6' 2" knees rested uncomfortably jammed into the gear shift in the wrangler. I think I must manspread a lot when I drive. The position and design of high center consoles and transmission selectors and legroom matter a lot to my comfort.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 11, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

On that note, is there a JK buyer's guide this thread recommends? Specifically for the 4-doors.

I'm not aware of one...but the big issues are:
2008s seem to have a lot more complaints about burning oil. Lots of folks on various jeep forums who have to add a quart every 1-2k miles. Corporate considers 1qt every 1000 miles acceptable, so none of them were repaired under warranty. Not sure why it was 2008 specifically.
2012 was the first year of the 3.6L in the Wrangler. 2012s and 13s have an early cylinder head casting that is prone to something related to overheating and causing misfires. Chrysler's "fix" for the first year or so of these complaints was to reflash the computer so the CEL required more misfires to actually light up. Eventually they agreed there was a problem and it took two redesigns to solve the issue. No recall, but the head gets an extended warranty up to 150,000 miles. I'm at 127k and haven't actually had this problem, even though mine's an early '12.
2012 and 13 also have potential issues with cylinder head casting sand clogging up the radiator and heater core. This loving sucks, because I do have this problem. I've already replaced the core once (not fun), and the new one clogged up again. I now have an inline water filter straining sand out of my antifreeze just before it flows through the firewall to the heater. This doesn't do anything for the poo poo that's already in there, but it definitely collects enough stuff that I'm glad I bought it.
The Pentastar is stupid easy to change the oil on...the filter is right up on top. Unscrew the cap, the filter comes with it. But inside the center of the housing is this little guy:

He's made of plastic. And that plastic will eventually shatter and pieces will fall into the oil pickup tube from the pump. I haven't noticed any issues since that happened, but who knows if it can cause any problems. Fortunately there's a replacement part now...nobody made one until a couple of years ago. Jeep changed the design in either 2013 or 14...they use a slightly different filter and don't have the plastic birdcage piece.

Jeep is owned by Chrysler. There are untold electrical gremlins and quality control issues that could affect any model, any year. For example, my cruise control stopped working at 40k miles. Two dealerships diagnose faulty switches (the buttons in the steering wheel), which is wrong. Oh yeah...you get to deal with Chrysler/Jeep dealerships, too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Isn't that most likely a dead clock spring? I thought there was a recall on those

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I struggled to post this video in the Jeep thread because it's genuinely horrific and I can only barely imagine what this poor man has and will go through. When I was a young kid my neighborhood was overrun by a brush fire and we evacuated just in time... my dad stayed behind to try and save the house and he did - it was a horrible day wondering if my dad was OK, and I still get strange adrenaline rushes when I smell brush/forest fires, even 25 years later. All that to be said, I'm not posting this purely as a callous Jeep survival video brag, but as a sincere warning to everyone who lives in a fire zone. Evacuate when it's time, and have a exit plan... big fire is horrific and you cannot outrun it or even plan for it. We only were made aware in time because a thoughtful neighbor sprinted down the block banging on doors at 5AM. Other, less considerate neighbors had already packed and left in the dark...

It's a video from the ongoing Camp Fire in NorCal around the town of Paradise. It's extremely grim. Preview: Video contains multiple charred corpses and one shellshocked survivor with his half-melted, still running XJ :(.

:nms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd_AqyPaUTg
:nms:

SA callous-comedy safespace: The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Jeep Thread: Reports of my XJ overheating were highly exaggerated

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 11, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Isn't that most likely a dead clock spring? I thought there was a recall on those

Only if you have an airbag light! And they can trace it to a specific issue. Otherwise, SOL. Clock spring would be the next logical part to throw at it, if they weren't $250 apiece (plus ANOTHER switch). I'm probably going to go that route soon, since my financial situation is improved these days.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You can make it be the clockspring pretty easily, just saying. It doesn't take much current to burn out the conductors for the squib.........

E: if you do this wrong and blow yourself up with the airbag don't sue me for your mistake

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 12, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Oh for fucks sake.

Last night I ran a couple of errands, and when I parked for the night and got out I could clearly hear coolant boiling. That's not typical. Replaced the radiator cap and rented a block tester; blue fluid stayed blue. Topped off the system, returned the tester, and poo poo is still boiling in the overflow bottle (which is now almost full). I can also see it through the clear face of the in-line filter I installed on the heater core inlet hose a couple of years ago.

So I guess I have a miniscule leak somewhere that won't let the system pressurize? Without leaking enough for a puddle to form, of course.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
How are the hoses? My upper radiator hose went out and had a pinhole where one of the hose clamps locked down on it. It went somewhat spectacularly, at least I got a nice cloud of steam and coolant coating the bottom of the hood, but I'm sure it was probably very lightly leaking for a while before that happened.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Hoses are about 2, 2.5 years old. They seem to be ok. I don't see any steam anywhere, which is what's throwing me off...I can't see anything that looks bad. Gonna see if autozone has a pressure tester I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Speaking of coolant I noticed my TJ was putting out gently caress all heat over the last week so I did a full coolant flush and then flushed the heatercore by itself in both directions about 20 times. The amount of brown crud that came out of it was pretty crazy. Good news is the jeep is now toasty inside again. I put in one of those prestone T kits so you can hook a hose up to do the flush. I'm a bit dubious of it though so I might just change the inlet heater hose to a new one for one so its not sitting there waiting to fail.