Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

After a day of hunting in the bayou i return to St.Denis and get ambushed by half a dozen men and a carriage with a GATLING GUN....

lost all my pelts and my horse...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This game really is pretty crazy.

Got past all the tutorial poo poo in the first couple chapters and things really opened up and now I get all the mechanics. And it works, just frustrating waiting for them to give you permission to do things one at a time, like GTA4.

Man, if only this was co-op. RDR2 Online can't get here soon enough.

shut up blegum posted:

I've explored a ton of stuff and still haven't found any cool hats :downsgun:

I got in a bar fight with some trapper guy in a bar and took his coon-skin hat which the game said was special but is apparently still fairly common. Still, felt pretty baller.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lastdancer posted:

Is there a way to rob a bank in this game that doesn't involve a one-time story mission. I'm pretty sure the answer is no and I don't mind if that's the case, but it'd sure be nice.

I believe the answer is no but I also believe you can rob anybody anywhere at any time by pointing your gun at them, including just buying a train ticket and then robbing everybody onboard, or robbing stores. Pretty much the same thing?

Also you can rob certain stagecoaches and they have locked boxes you can shoot (or use the special prybar) to get some nice loot.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Shot a turtle in the head with a regular arrow instead of a small game one like it suggests and it didn't seem to degrade the carve quality so maybe give that a shot if you're having trouble

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
A wonderful moonlit night for a Zebra ride :buddy:

lets hang out posted:

Shot a turtle in the head with a regular arrow instead of a small game one like it suggests and it didn't seem to degrade the carve quality so maybe give that a shot if you're having trouble
Meanwhile, every small game arrow shot I've made on tiny animals like squirrels and snakes seems to gently caress them up REAL good. Maybe I should get around to hunting legendary animals once I finish chasing these activity unlocks for the "Will always(sometimes?) improve the quality of a pelt" trinket.

Blowing the brains out of a perfect raccoon with a varmint rifle turned out fine though, so far as the only satchel upgrade Ive done so far is the provisions one. As I'm constantly slightly underweight, clearly Morgan needs more snacks on the go so he remembers to bulk up.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 6, 2018

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My mountain man beard needs to be longer.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Why did they remove the coolest part of horses from rdr1? That being when you whistle while sprinting the horse comes along side so you can get right into the chase/escape. Now the dopey fucks just mosey along 30paces behind me until I turn around and hop on

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Chapter 4 I did all the electric chair side quests but never got to see the guy get executed. They just quickly walked off screen and the guy said something like "follow me you don't wanna miss this". But they moved fast and I just bought a thousand dollar horse so I had to locate the horse first. Is there a way to watch the execution?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

swims posted:

Chapter 4 I did all the electric chair side quests but never got to see the guy get executed. They just quickly walked off screen and the guy said something like "follow me you don't wanna miss this". But they moved fast and I just bought a thousand dollar horse so I had to locate the horse first. Is there a way to watch the execution?

I was confused too since he made it sound like it was an immediate thing, but it popped up for me the next day.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Spiteski posted:

Why did they remove the coolest part of horses from rdr1? That being when you whistle while sprinting the horse comes along side so you can get right into the chase/escape. Now the dopey fucks just mosey along 30paces behind me until I turn around and hop on
It's been so long since I played RDR1 that I was wondering if I was simply spoiled by D-Horse. Guess not :v:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Bummed a ride from some guy and rode around St Denis in his carriage for like 10 minutes just howdy-ing the gently caress out of the whole city. :clint:

He dropped me off, then no one else would stop and give me a ride. Got dinged for disturbing the peace after escalating with like 4 different drivers in front of a cop.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
Is there a difference between the medium and short scope on the springfield rifle? I don't see the stats move and I tried them both in scope mode. I can't tell if there is a difference but I'm not sure if I'm missing something else.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hahah holy poo poo so I get Mary's little brother back to the station, but as we approach my horse bumps a pedestrian. He pulls me off the horse and socks me. Little Jamie reaches in his hippie bead bag and skins that smoke wagon and fires off 2 In the guy's gut. I'm over here trying not to even get involved. Yet I get the rap for murder. Oh well, such is life.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
The hell is animal cruelty a crime for in Cowboy Years? I'm like 70% sure it wasn't even someone's pet.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Bump into a man on my way into the tailor. The red negative karma icon pops up even as they say "Sorry mister"
Tailor: Hey, they picked your pocket!

One minute chase later, I get a pop up as I tackle them to the ground and threaten them for my money back.
"1 out of 5 people held up".

I can see why so many people give up and just say gently caress it to all pretenses of good behavior, when you can't even get robbed without the game being passive aggressive about it :v:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
And then this happens...

https://twitter.com/Feenix7/status/1059698212729049088

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Section Z posted:

Bump into a man on my way into the tailor. The red negative karma icon pops up even as they say "Sorry mister"

One minute chase later, I get a pop up as I tackle them to the ground and threaten them for my money back.

I can see why so many people give up and just say gently caress it to all pretenses of good behavior, when you can't even get robbed without the game being passive aggressive about it :v:

Yeah, I got pick pocketed by a guy leaving the gun shop in Saint Denis. Chase him down, lasso him, and then threaten him and he gives me the money back. Luckily it wasn't reported as a crime but I did get a karma hit and it counted for my 5 hold ups.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Section Z posted:

It wasn't red karma icon, it was red "-$30.23" or however much they stole.
It IS funny that retrieving what was stolen from you counts as robbery though.

Also funny: Standing near bodies you didn't kill, not getting suspected of murder. Carrying a bounty and nobody cares, but carrying an innocent and suddenly everyone is reporting you for kidnapping.
It's not that NPCs are witnessing a suspected crime and reporting it to the law, it's that they know if you're guilty, and are just giving you a timer to stop them reporting.

I had an NPC do the "my horse died and I need a lift" thing. They were walking in the same direction as me, so sure. Then they get on and say they're actually headed for a town in the way I came from and that I'm taking them the wrong direction! So why were they walking the wrong way to begin with?

Also, if you find a place that the lawmen 100% cannot find you (eg at the bottom of a ladder off the pier docks in Saint Denis), but is still within the red detection ring, they'll just spawn forever and never give up. 10/10, 100% game, absolutely perfect with no bugs at all. Anyone that dares suggest otherwise should be drawn and quartered. And death threats on twitter of course.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, I got pick pocketed by a guy leaving the gun shop in Saint Denis. Chase him down, lasso him, and then threaten him and he gives me the money back. Luckily it wasn't reported as a crime but I did get a karma hit and it counted for my 5 hold ups.

I count myself as one of those excited about RDR2 Online. But man, between how they handle stuff like this in the campaign, and also how you couldn't basically do poo poo to people in GTA Online without being rated down until you were hell-banned to play online with other griefers, I do wonder exactly what kind of egg shell tiptoeing the online game is going to end up being.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I’ve never seen a game do snow as well as this game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Feenix posted:

I count myself as one of those excited about RDR2 Online. But man, between how they handle stuff like this in the campaign, and also how you couldn't basically do poo poo to people in GTA Online without being rated down until you were hell-banned to play online with other griefers, I do wonder exactly what kind of egg shell tiptoeing the online game is going to end up being.

On some level I think the crime stuff will probably be simplified to some extent, either through the general removal of the majority of the emergent events or through just the system itself being refined. GTAO has a lot of limitations on NPC interaction and world density and in part that's because they built it for last gen consoles and of course they're not going to refactor the MP mode when they bring it to new consoles (they did a little but it was more or less the same). With how spread out the map is, how few people you see outside of towns and the higher cost of deathmatching (horse stat degradation instead of outright death, probably, among other things) you'll probably see a lot less random shooting. Relatively speaking anyway, GTAO online is basically all deathmatch all the time so RDO might be like, 50% of the time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Necrosaro posted:

Is there a difference between the medium and short scope on the springfield rifle? I don't see the stats move and I tried them both in scope mode. I can't tell if there is a difference but I'm not sure if I'm missing something else.

The stats don't change; the magnification of scope mode does. Its a difference. I find the long scope to be too zoomed in to be useful.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

So I figured out that eventually if you have a bounty you can't afford you can just let bounty hunters arrest you, put you in jail, and you'll just lose all the money you do have :(

Is there no way for YOU to call for the lawmen?

I literally had a guy bust into the Sheriff's office while I was getting a bounty from the wall, he started punching me, and the Sheriff just stood there. I'm pretty positive if I so much as defended myself it'd count as assault. Game's a little weird.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I believe the answer is no but I also believe you can rob anybody anywhere at any time by pointing your gun at them, including just buying a train ticket and then robbing everybody onboard, or robbing stores. Pretty much the same thing?

Also you can rob certain stagecoaches and they have locked boxes you can shoot (or use the special prybar) to get some nice loot.

Ah darn. Robbin' folks just isn't quite the same. Stores and stagecoaches should tide me over though. Are trains really worth it? Can you raid the luggage car like in the story mission or is it just passengers?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lastdancer posted:

Ah darn. Robbin' folks just isn't quite the same. Stores and stagecoaches should tide me over though. Are trains really worth it? Can you raid the luggage car like in the story mission or is it just passengers?

You totally can raid the luggage car. In fact, I've found you can raid the rear luggage car without anybody even noticing the crime. People won't let you get into the front cars though without a scuffle.

If nothing else it gets you back the cost of your train ticket lol.

And yeah, GTA5 / GTA Online let you rob convenience stores for a pittance, but I don't know why they didn't just let you rob banks whenever you wanted. Make it pay more than robbing a convenience store but give you like an instant 4-5 stars and if you don't get away from your wanted level, you don't get the money. That'd be fun as hell; break the bank, shoot lots of cops, and then see if you can escape alive or not. Then that bank would close for awhile and you could go do it somewhere else.

But R* seems really entrenched in how they design games at this point.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Zaphod42 posted:

So I figured out that eventually if you have a bounty you can't afford you can just let bounty hunters arrest you, put you in jail, and you'll just lose all the money you do have :(

Is there no way for YOU to call for the lawmen?

You can find a lawman, punch him, and immediately surrender to serve to time. Still lose your money though, so spend it beforehand.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

You can find a lawman, punch him, and immediately surrender to serve to time. Still lose your money though, so spend it beforehand.

I guess that's a shortcut to having to wait for bounty hunters.

But what I'm really wondering is, if someone else is committing a crime against you, is there no recourse? If someone shoots at you, even if lawmen see it happen they do nothing.

If you have a bounty on you I guess that makes sense but if you don't its not really fair.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Lawmen will shoot people. In that unarmed part of rhodes i had them save my rear end a couple times but you have to rush the guys to knock the gun out their hand. Even if its a fistfight after that the cops will shoot them.

You can defend yourself you just cant loot because then it becomes a crime i mean its dumb when they have your stuff but i think that only happens that one time.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Orv posted:

On some level I think the crime stuff will probably be simplified to some extent, either through the general removal of the majority of the emergent events or through just the system itself being refined. GTAO has a lot of limitations on NPC interaction and world density and in part that's because they built it for last gen consoles and of course they're not going to refactor the MP mode when they bring it to new consoles (they did a little but it was more or less the same). With how spread out the map is, how few people you see outside of towns and the higher cost of deathmatching (horse stat degradation instead of outright death, probably, among other things) you'll probably see a lot less random shooting. Relatively speaking anyway, GTAO online is basically all deathmatch all the time so RDO might be like, 50% of the time.

It would probably help if they just made open world PVP opt in instead of opt out. The best stuff in GTA Online was coop missions anyway so you're just pissing off the toxic and stupid hardcore griefer community and who cares what they think.

Also for no apparent reason an alligator skin vanished from my inventory without vanishing from the back of my horse so now I have a permit alligator pelt horse decoration. This has persisted across two horses.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Stand in town and shoot up in the air to attract law if you have a bounty. You don't have to assault.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

End of ch5 spoilers: Did I sequence break some quests? I did the quests involving Edith Downes and sent her and her son away, but the final quest for ch5 shows her back to whoring. So are we supposed to assume that she just went right back to whoring and never left or did the game let you sequence break that questline?

Orv
May 4, 2011

DrNutt posted:

It would probably help if they just made open world PVP opt in instead of opt out. The best stuff in GTA Online was coop missions anyway so you're just pissing off the toxic and stupid hardcore griefer community and who cares what they think.

Also for no apparent reason an alligator skin vanished from my inventory without vanishing from the back of my horse so now I have a permit alligator pelt horse decoration. This has persisted across two horses.

Honestly I've had a lot of fun in GTAO that started as some rando trying to kill me and ending up running around several city blocks or one of the more remote places for a couple hours just fighting 1v1 or 2v2 with a friend, so I'm not that bothered by it. Opt out costs nothing so it's fine.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

End of ch5 spoilers: Did I sequence break some quests? I did the quests involving Edith Downes and sent her and her son away, but the final quest for ch5 shows her back to whoring. So are we supposed to assume that she just went right back to whoring and never left or did the game let you sequence break that questline?
I would not be surprised if it was your first assumptions of intended guilt trips not lining up with your sequence of actions. For a much earlier example, Homeless Soldier in Valentine gave me poo poo for being crazy due to all the shooting I did in valentine. But at that point I had never so much as drawn a weapon within draw distance of that location :v: and it would be many more hours of procrastination before I did so.

Or perhaps they were merely driven to the brink of madness by psychic powers allowing them to glimpse the future.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 6, 2018

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Just go into a police station and antagonize until the surrender option comes up.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

PantsBandit posted:

Is there any sort of poker side-quest? I enjoy the poker but the money is kind of meaningless. It'd help if there were some story incentive.

There's a couple poker goals in the Gambler Challenge chain, to unlock a new belt and holsters from the trapper. So, not really.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Is dead eye supposed to regen like health and stamina when your core is full?

Mine has never, the only way to recover it is using chewing tobacco.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Marenghi posted:

No. Killing people outside of Dead Eye does, the core affects how much each kill increases the bar.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Is it possible to avoid killing bounty hunters' dogs? I don't want to take the honor hit but their barking is upsetting my horse :(

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Marenghi posted:

I believe your dead eye regens from shooting people and animals without dead eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Hobo Clown posted:

Is it possible to avoid killing bounty hunters' dogs? I don't want to take the honor hit but their barking is upsetting my horse :(

Just flee the area and come back.