Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Forming is probably the second most important thing to consider when making bread, living yeast being first place. The way you shape it will affect the loaf more than 5-10% hydration or fermentation variance.

Just play with dough, even dead dough. Practice shaping it as tight as you can without tearing the skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

poverty goat posted:

has every grocery store everywhere stopped stocking rye flour? has there been a recall or something? around the new year every store in virginia beach apparently stopped stocking rye flour altogether, except whole foods, which has 1lb4oz bags for Iike $4. Every grocery store. I think I checked everything in the region except kroger :wtc:

I've recently fallen in love with making traditional danish Rugbrød (it's so loving good) and yeah, the most difficult thing for me has been finding rye flour at any reasonable price or quantity. It's so strange too because, hey it's not like american rye bread is hard to find in bakeries or stores. I guess nobody is making it at home anymore?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Anybody knows how to make naan bread? Any tips?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Siegkrow posted:

Step one get a tandoor oven. Apparently you can make a decent one out of a couple big terra cotta pots. Might be able to approximate it with an upturned pot in a hot oven.

Edit: angor can you post what you put in those biscuits? They look good.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Pham Nuwen posted:

Step one get a tandoor oven. Apparently you can make a decent one out of a couple big terra cotta pots. Might be able to approximate it with an upturned pot in a hot oven.

Edit: angor can you post what you put in those biscuits? They look good.

Started with this recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/08/the-food-lab-buttermilk-biscuits-recipe.html

Added this to the dry ingredients:
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp chili powder

Next time I make them I'll probably go heavier on the coriander and maybe a little more garam masala. This recipe has you roll, fold, roll, fold, roll, cut. Before that second fold, I added a bunch of chopped cilantro and a few mint leaves I had knocking around. Next time I'll do a small handful of mint OR fresh fenugreek leaves if I've got them. Could also add dried fenugreek leaves in the dry I suppose!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm looking to make some bruschetta for an upcoming party and I'm thinking of making the bread as well.

I normally make pretty good standard no-knead bread but I was thinking of using ciabatta for this one.

I found this recipe, which uses a sponge. I've never made bread with a sponge before. If I'm using instant yeast, do I need to do anything different than what's instructed?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The sponge is made with instant yeast in the recipe????

And God drat gently caress that site, had to scroll down through so many adds to even see the list.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The sponge is made with instant yeast in the recipe????

And God drat gently caress that site, had to scroll down through so many adds to even see the list.

I honestly don't know anything about using sponges. They said at some point that you can use active or instant yeast.

I actually found a recipe later in my America's Test Kitchen cookbook and I may use it instead.

Emma Goldman
Apr 14, 2018
I made some bread. It's a raisin and sunflower seed bread with about 20% rye flour. I did make a poolish, but used yeast and really only let it preferment for a couple of hours.

I think that I'm going to do something pretty similar this weekend as a sourdough, though with fresh apples and pecans. Hope they don't start to ferment while proofing.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Emma Goldman posted:

Hope they don't start to ferment while proofing.
:thunk: I'd be so down for that

me your dad posted:

I honestly don't know anything about using sponges. They said at some point that you can use active or instant yeast.

I actually found a recipe later in my America's Test Kitchen cookbook and I may use it instead.
Sponges are simple, roughly equal flour and water with however much yeast is called. When it's all bubbly and the edges are domed use it. If you miss that timing you have an hour or two after it starts to collapse on itself.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Siegkrow posted:

If you have a baking steel or stone, I've made this and it came out really good.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've been using king arthur's lancelot (14% protein) as my main bread flour for a while since I got a 50 lb sack a while back and it makes great bread but its most amazing property is that it can actually keep its composure to the end when I accidentally forget to fridge the dough overnight and it triples+ overnight during bulk fermentation. Some of my best bread this year has resulted from the forgotten dough technique and would definitely have ripped and melted into porridge on the counter when I tried to shape it if I hadn't used the one true flour.

snyprmag posted:

If you have a baking steel or stone, I've made this and it came out really good.

if you've got a grill you might try getting it as hot as possible and doing this on there

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 22, 2018

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

I had an 8 day old sourdough starter bubbling happily away in a canister in the oven with the light on, anxiously awaiting the weekend where I planned to make some awesomeness.

Well, that was the plan until my girlfriend preheated the oven to 450 this afternoon with my jar of starter in it.

:gonk:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
:sever:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Normally I'm very quick to endorse breaking off all contact with a human being for a kitchen sin but this one is super forgivable. I've definitely forgotten about stuff hanging out in the oven before. Someone else forgetting is barely a sin. Did she even know it was in there in the first place?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
We just lost half a homemade apple pie that we had forgotten was in the oven (no room in the fridge).

It was a very sad occasion.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Hi.

It's been 1,000 years since I've been active on SA but I mess with bread now and wanted to share. <3

This was about 80% hydration, blend of KA bread flour and some red fife winter wheat from my local market.. made sure my starter was good and alive, 6 hours of bulk ferment with some stretch and folds (and one round of lamination), then overnight maybe 8 hours before baking this morning. Have one more loaf still in the fridge which will bake after work today. I've made many loaves which were good, but not great.. but I think really waking up the starter/levain was important to getting the bigger crumb here. It's not perf of course, but you know, it's bread.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Normally I'm very quick to endorse breaking off all contact with a human being for a kitchen sin but this one is super forgivable. I've definitely forgotten about stuff hanging out in the oven before. Someone else forgetting is barely a sin. Did she even know it was in there in the first place?

She kind of did and felt extremely bad about it as she watched me scrape the canister clean over the sink. Oh well.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I went to Mary Mac’s tea room in Atlanta today. It was amazing. If you don’t know it’s a really old soul food restaurant that’s pretty famous here. I have a question for you guys though, I had their yeast rolls and they were mind blowing. I love yeast rolls and I’m pretty proud of mine. Their’s were more dense but still fluffy. Does anyone here have any tips on making yeast rolls like that? Or if you have any favorite recipes want to share them?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ever since I preheated grandma’s oven and discovered the hard way that she kept all her Tupperware in there, opening the door has become mandatory before turning the dial or poking any buttons.

Also prevents you from having to move hot oven racks around. :eng101:

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I just baked my sourdough starter. It was nearly 3 years old, I'd fed it the night before and because it was cold and I wanted it to be ripe the next day, I popped it in the oven with the light on. Well, I forgot about it and this evening preheated my oven for a frozen dinner and killed it. I feel like I killed a friend.

Just stirred together flour and water to start a new one, but i know it will be a while before it is as strong and predictable as my old one.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I just revived my starter the other day. What shall I make with it?

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Recently got in to making bread. Haven’t done much baking before so this is definitely a whole new skillset. Reddit suggested this tutorial for a first loaf which is what I did. It’s exhaustive in detail which I found super helpful. I’ve made it a couple times and it’s gone pretty well – although I used an old ceramic baking dish that my loaves stuck to pretty badly. I got some new tins for my birthday, though, so that problem is solved. Their second lesson is using 50% whole wheat flour for the same loaf, which I tried this weekend. My wife took some glamor shots for me, I’m pretty happy with how it came out:
https://imgur.com/a/n8d9VZL

I guess my question is… what now? As a complete novice I’m having difficulty figuring out how to move forward. Obviously I can search the internet for “bread recipe” but I don’t feel like I have the knowledge to recognize a good recipe from a bad one. Same for identifying the relative difficulty of a recipe. It seems like general consensus on the internet holds King Arthur Flour as a trusted source – do I just grab a recipe with good reviews from there and go at it? I assume there are some failures in my not-so-distant future, but I’d like to at least be able to learn something from it rather than just failing.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
I don’t know about you but this weekend I came across a recipe for European sourdough doughnuts and now I can’t get it out of my head. My wife, a Hungarian native, still remembers having these as a child and has demanded a batch.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

MerrMan posted:

Recently got in to making bread. Haven’t done much baking before so this is definitely a whole new skillset. Reddit suggested this tutorial for a first loaf which is what I did. It’s exhaustive in detail which I found super helpful. I’ve made it a couple times and it’s gone pretty well – although I used an old ceramic baking dish that my loaves stuck to pretty badly. I got some new tins for my birthday, though, so that problem is solved. Their second lesson is using 50% whole wheat flour for the same loaf, which I tried this weekend. My wife took some glamor shots for me, I’m pretty happy with how it came out:

I guess my question is… what now? As a complete novice I’m having difficulty figuring out how to move forward. Obviously I can search the internet for “bread recipe” but I don’t feel like I have the knowledge to recognize a good recipe from a bad one. Same for identifying the relative difficulty of a recipe. It seems like general consensus on the internet holds King Arthur Flour as a trusted source – do I just grab a recipe with good reviews from there and go at it? I assume there are some failures in my not-so-distant future, but I’d like to at least be able to learn something from it rather than just failing.

that's a good first attempt. You'll fail some and make some good ones. You really just need to get a feel for dough now so you become even less bound by recipe. I'm in pizza mode right now for instance but before that was french bread. Today's the first dough I'll be trying a sourdough 66% bigga so I won't have to calculate the starter's hydration into my target 66% pizza dough.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

MerrMan posted:

Make the same thing but do it by feel, without measuring anything. It's easier than you think to make good bread, and just about impossible to ruin it. Just don't forget the salt.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'll also throw https://en.christinesrecipes.com/2010/10/hokkaido-milk-toast-japanese-style.html out there

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

While tangzhong gives an amazing final texture and flavor, I don't usually recommend it to newcomers who want to get a better feel for bread. It doesn't feel the same as other doughs when you're kneading it, due to the effect of tangzhong on gluten development.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Shame Boner posted:

I don’t know about you but this weekend I came across a recipe for European sourdough doughnuts and now I can’t get it out of my head. My wife, a Hungarian native, still remembers having these as a child and has demanded a batch.

I have made these multiple times and can tell you they are so worth the time and effort its like eating clouds

e: the creme patisserie is not optional

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

yoshesque posted:

I have made these multiple times and can tell you they are so worth the time and effort its like eating clouds

e: the creme patisserie is not optional

drat

e: I actually made some donuts w/ dough from the fresh loaf hokkaido milkbread once and they were great

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

I made a few loaves of hearth bread last night. It was the first time I've made bread in a decade.

It was good and now I feel like a fool for not baking bread for the last decade.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

first loaf of the season let's get this bread yall

A shot of the bottom, i've had problems with the bottom burning sometimes but have developed new strategies to address this (putting a sheet of foil on the rack underneath the dutch oven):

v happy with how it turned out.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Hell Yeah posted:

first loaf of the season let's get this bread yall

A shot of the bottom, i've had problems with the bottom burning sometimes but have developed new strategies to address this (putting a sheet of foil on the rack underneath the dutch oven):

v happy with how it turned out.

Very nice.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So, I think I'm gonna ask my mother in law to ship me back some flour while she's in the US, what can y'all recommend for a white flour that can handle a pretty high hydration? The stuff I can get here in Japan tops out around 12% protein and it won't do over 78% hydration without getting gummy.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
The sourdough starter I have in my fridge is super happy and it shows. 70% hydration, all white bread flour. And delicious. Looks tiny because I was playing around with portrait mode on the phone but it's a normal sized loaf (total flour weight for two loaves: 775g).

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

blixa posted:

The sourdough starter I have in my fridge is super happy and it shows. 70% hydration, all white bread flour. And delicious. Looks tiny because I was playing around with portrait mode on the phone but it's a normal sized loaf (total flour weight for two loaves: 775g).

Really solid loaf there. Dutch oven method?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

blixa posted:

nice.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

So, I think I'm gonna ask my mother in law to ship me back some flour while she's in the US, what can y'all recommend for a white flour that can handle a pretty high hydration? The stuff I can get here in Japan tops out around 12% protein and it won't do over 78% hydration without getting gummy.

King Arthur Flours Sir Galahad is what every bakery I've ever worked in uses for bread flour.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

baquerd posted:

Really solid loaf there. Dutch oven method?

Yep! Heated to 500 degrees for ~45m, dropped to 450 when putting the loaf in. 20 minutes with lid, 20 minutes without - final 20 minutes I put it on a little steaming basket to ensure the bottom wouldn't burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
I made a bread or two!

Also I am terrible at plaiting.