Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

HookShot posted:

I'm supposed to be skiing here on the 13th and uhhhh

https://www.panoramaresort.com/panorama-today/mountain-webcams/

(the Mile 1 cam is usually the top of where we start to ski)

why would you go to pano the only point of that place is to sell condos to rich calgarians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Landsknecht posted:

why would you go to pano the only point of that place is to sell condos to rich calgarians

I loving hate Pano more than anywhere but they (theoretically) are willing to open the mountain to us earlier than Sun Peaks soooooo.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Biohazard posted:

Just picked up a pair of these from the Evo store here in denver this weekend:
https://www.evo.com/alpine-ski-boots/rossignol-track-130#image=122597/515119/rossignol-track-130-ski-boots-2018-orange.jpg

Spent over an hour trying on different boots with the guy, and am pretty pumped to have finally found some boots that fit really well. I took last year off of skiing because I was in so much pain from the boots I'd been using, and I was sick of spending money just to get 3 runs in and have to call it a day while everyone else had fun.

I'm probably going to go back and have custom footbeds made after spending a couple days on the new boots.

Just go get the foot beds now. It's going to take a few miserable days to break the boots in anyway, might as well have the foot beds in there anyway.

Disinterested posted:

CO is way ahead on snowpack as of now. Breck now opening Weds. I'm at A-bay tomorrow.

Yeah got a nice 8" at Snowmass according to the webcam. Unfortunately it's not quite cold enough out here to be below freezing all day, but at least they can make snow at night.

I miss Abasin

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Anyone know if the CAIC going to resume zone forecasts later this year? Right now it’s all state wide. Since I missed the entirety of last season I don’t remember if they stopped doing certain forecasts due to funding cuts or what. #IStillMissTheRose

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Eejit posted:

Just go get the foot beds now. It's going to take a few miserable days to break the boots in anyway, might as well have the foot beds in there anyway.

You're probably right, but I also need new skis, and am going to grab those first and then the footbeds.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

HookShot posted:

I loving hate Pano more than anywhere but they (theoretically) are willing to open the mountain to us earlier than Sun Peaks soooooo.

the funny thing about pano is that you can just sled up to jumbo behind it and have world class terrain and snow, whereas pano is meh terrain and poo poo snoq

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Landsknecht posted:

the funny thing about pano is that you can just sled up to jumbo behind it and have world class terrain and snow, whereas pano is meh terrain and poo poo snoq

Panorama: We finally got free on-mountain wifi in 2017!

Panorama: I hope you like green runs!

Panorama: Our ski police pulled the passes of two racers for going into the terrain park with skis on their shoulders.

Panorama: We're super loving poo poo in every way.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mammoth's opening day just got delayed indefinitely.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Dangerllama posted:

Anyone know if the CAIC going to resume zone forecasts later this year? Right now it’s all state wide. Since I missed the entirety of last season I don’t remember if they stopped doing certain forecasts due to funding cuts or what. #IStillMissTheRose

They did forecasts. It just never snowed enough to be worth checking down here.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Korua Vol. 7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCN0MQdDE0I

Spring (summer?) party boarding, not the usual carving.

Mongoose fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 7, 2018

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Whee, I got my 4 day pass from Winter Park today.

Because of various issues, I wasn't able to get out at all last season, so I'm happy I'll get at least 4 days in this season.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Dangerllama posted:

Zone backcountry avalanche forecasts will begin in mid-November per the front page of the website.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mongoose posted:

That's Holy Bowly. An annual "flow park" build out that's hosted at different spots each year. Last year it was at Timberline. Fun fact: the old burned out looking guy at the very beginning is one our regular judges. He's kind of a train wreck.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Mongoose posted:

That is about a million times more interesting that the standard 'lets spin like a top over the biggest jump possible'.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I was on the October 24th episode. It's on DailyMotion for anyone who wants to see. I didn't exactly go around announcing it everywhere and somehow game shows never naturally entered the conversation in the skiing thread haha.

Kick rear end afro.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

ImplicitAssembler posted:

That is about a million times more interesting that the standard 'lets spin like a top over the biggest jump possible'.

I feel like if I met a park like this I might actually be inclined to dip in and learn a thing to two... it looks way more fun and less high-consequence than the formal comp stuff, and I'm one of those weirdos that's comfortable doing side hits but gets weird with a lot of hangtime. Also, yeah, way less boring.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

*PUNCH* posted:

I feel like if I met a park like this I might actually be inclined to dip in and learn a thing to two... it looks way more fun and less high-consequence than the formal comp stuff, and I'm one of those weirdos that's comfortable doing side hits but gets weird with a lot of hangtime. Also, yeah, way less boring.

Come to Japan! We have lots of bank yards / flow parks / natural gullies. Small mountains but lots of snow so we make the best of it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Mongoose posted:

Come to Japan! We have lots of bank yards / flow parks / natural gullies. Small mountains but lots of snow so we make the best of it.

It's on the list! I do go to Japan fairly often, but it's always out of season :/

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

ironlung posted:

Zone backcountry avalanche forecasts will begin in mid-November per the front page of the website.

Fair. I think I’m a big dummy and just didn’t grok that this was for individual zones and not Colorado as a zone. I remain perpetually terrified of CAIC budget cuts neutering forecasting.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Booster straps, yay/nay?

Also 170 lbs and (almost) the best skier on the mountain, expert or WC straps?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Throwback to last year

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Eejit posted:

Booster straps, yay/nay?

Yay, WC.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Yay and WC like Hookshot says. I use the stock head raptor strap but it's pretty similar poo poo.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Cool, that was the plan. I tried on a pair of Lange RX 130 in the low volume model and they come stock with a booster style strap, but my idiot feet are too wide to realistically make that work. I liked the feel of a locking strap a lot though.

Really not looking forward to breaking in new boots, but also looking forward to boots that don't have several broken buckles and that ski at like 90 flex

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Getting 3 or so days in Breck and another 3 in Loveland this next week with work. Hoping it stays cold.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm booked and ready to ski on the 13th. I don't know where any of my gear is.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Eejit posted:

Booster straps, yay/nay?

I use the expert strap, I guess I'm a beater

Also the "booster style" strap on the RX 130 is not a booster strap. The magic of boosters is the elastic, the stock Lange strap has the cam lock but no elastic so it is better than a velcro strap but still sux compared to Boosters.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

HookShot posted:

I'm booked and ready to ski on the 13th. I don't know where any of my gear is.

Same except I know where most of it is and can’t seem to conceptualize putting it all in an easily accessible place.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eejit posted:

Booster straps, yay/nay?

Booster straps are the bomb. I'll never go back to the stock velcro bs. You don't need the WC imo, but that's personal preference. The WC have an extra bit of webbing in addition to the three elastic bands, which you could just snip and make it the same as the expert. That's what I did and I'm quite happy with how they ski.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 9, 2018

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008
New board time. I am looking at picking up either the Jones Hovercraft in a 156, or the T. Rice Orca in a 153 (the only size they make it)
I tend to stay in the trees, but working at a resort means I am riding every day, and need something that is a bit of a swiss army knife. The reviews for the Orca make it sound like the kind of riding I am interested in, but I am not nearly as big a fan of the topsheet on that board compared to the Hovercraft. Someone please make my mind up for me.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Get the Orca.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Please, just give CA some rain before the entire state burns down. I can't ski on fresh ash falls :(

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

Please, just give CA some rain before the entire state burns down. I can't ski on fresh ash falls :(

Well not YET. Gonna need a lot bigger ash base first

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

You want the Orca.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Anyone have Nordica Enforcer 100's? They seem like a solid all around ski, a few people have recommended them to me.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Biohazard posted:

Anyone have Nordica Enforcer 100's? They seem like a solid all around ski, a few people have recommended them to me.

Skied a few runs on the 90 whatever version and they're nice. They're pretty burly, but still reasonably playful. Actually thought about buying a demo pair a few weeks ago for about 250 but decided that I can get at least one more season out of my current non powder skis

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I have the Santa Ana 100s which is apparently the enforcer with a women’s (read:prettier) top sheet and I love them. If you’re an aggressive skier you’ll like them.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Was gonna buy my little sister a used snowboard for Christmas but ski butlers is gonna let me get a new Rossi with their employee discount because of how much business we send them. Any suggestions for an intermediate women’s board from Rossignol?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I've always gone to Jackson Hole in late Jan early Feb, and haven't been since 2015. Any idea what it might be like this year in mid-Jan or historically is that a decent time to go? I've got a 50/50 record the six times I've been of it being good, so I figure whenever I go it'll just dump powder the second I leave anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
My quiver this year is the Never Summer Chairman 2018 (freeride daily driver), Gentemstick XY 2018 (versatile pow board) and Amplid UNW8 2015 (stiff but energetic camber deck for groomer days). My Burton Custom Twin 2016 is on loan and my K2 Carveair isn't probably going to get ridden this year.

I absolutely don't need any more boards but still want one. Oddly enough, I'm leaning toward very traditional directional twin camber boards these days instead of all the fancy shapes and volume shift boards. I'm pretty interested in the Nitro Suprateam. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on it. Or any other recommendations. i was also looking at the Nitro Beast, the Yes Optimistic and Nitro Squash. (I know you love the Optimistic highme)

Yuns fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 10, 2018