Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I assume you foolishly left the rock behind and Goonpa immediately got eaten by a moose.

Let that be a lesson to us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
This thread is still alive gosh darn it :bahgawd:

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Covski posted:

This thread is still alive gosh darn it :bahgawd:

Even more surprisingly, Goonpa is still alive. Though if we leave the rock, not for long.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I just assumed goonpa is moving very slowly, and we will get the updates in real time.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Goonpa had to stop for a period of mourning for the ancestral rock.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

I bet y'all didn't expect this thread to still be alive, despite me saying so repeatedly!

All right, new attempt at doing exactly the same things as before but without losing all our food to ravenous backpack burglars!

This time we drop all heavy non-edibles back at the campsite, while carrying our food with us as we return to woods for our trap making expedition.

We're back in camp by 5 pm, and set out on another hour long hike upriver to set our trap.

When the trap is set and we're starting to head back, the sun is beginning to set somewhere behind Steep Mountain.

Now, however, the game sees fit to throw its next curveball at us: We're not allowed to sit down and attempt to fish just anywhere we please. Instead, the game will notify us whenever there are signs of fish in a nearby river and lake, and only then gives us the option to attempt to catch it. (I guess this might be a preferable option compared to allowing us to waste an infinite amount of time in an area without fish, but still!)

This means we once again need to reconsider our plan. We can still hopefully theoretically stay calorie positive even if we have to move around between fishing spots during the day, but it's not quite the "stay by the fire to remedy the frost bite"-plan that we hoped for. We could light a fire every time we stop to fish, but that would involve a constant drain of our limited supply of matches, or a lot of time spent in the cold trying to light fires with the sticks or magnifying glass. Even so, with a bit of luck we should be able to stay warm and fed while waiting for the trap to do its job, again if we're lucky. (you don't really want to have to rely on luck in a survival situation)

A general vote, feel free to discuss the options in more detail:

A) Move on immediately - no point in risking resources and our declining health on the off chance of being able to catch game or traps if we can't stay put by a nice fire in doing so, we'll just have to consider this wasted day a sunk cost.

B) Now that we're here, we at least need to give our trap a chance to catch us something. However, it's better for us to conserve energy and resources by simply staying put in camp while we wait, hopefully this time by the fire will help with the frostbite - the cost in food is worth it. (specify how many days we should stay put in camp before journeying on, checking the trap daily)

C) Stick to the plan. If we're going to make no forward progress, we need to at least feed ourselves by fishing while doing so. We'll spend our time moving along the river to find fishing spots - the fire is optional. (specify how many days we should spend fishing around the river while also checking the trap daily, AND whether or not we should strive to always have a fire lit while fishing or not)

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yay, Goonpa's alive!

...though possibly not for very long. Erk.

I don't like option A - none of our reasons for wanting to stop have changed and I think Goonpa's going to keel over if we try and move on with little food and worsening frostbite. I'm thinking a compromise between B and C - we spend most of each day in camp by a fire hoping the trap will produce something, and leave for short foraging trips.

We spend an interval of time per day looking for a fishing spot and trying to catch fish, maybe make one or two attempts at lighting a fire with our magnifying glass once we're at a spot - if we succeed in doing so we can stay at the fishing spot for more time, if not we don't waste time trying over and over.

I'm not sure how the time would break down. Say something arbitrary like ~12 hours in camp with a fire, ~2 hours for checking the trap (depends how far it is from camp), ~2 hours for fishing with no fire/~4 hours for fishing if we light a fire within, say, three attempts. (This depends on how easy it is to find fishing spots and if the game is nice enough to let us go back to spots once we've found them.)

I don't know how long we should stick with this, either. If catching fish turns out to be simple/the trap pays out and we manage to stay something close to calorie positive we should keep it up at least until we recover from frostbite. I suspect it won't be that easy though, so maybe we give up once we've used all the fuel in the stove we'll be leaving behind, or some other benchmark?

And this is all weather dependent, too. If it starts snowing heavily and continually or something similar I think we have to bail and leave while we still can.

I'm just spitballing here, hopefully someone else has a better plan. Good to see the LP continuing regardless.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I like the sounds of B along with the "stay until we run out of fuel for the stove" plan. (I'm assuming the stove warms us like a fire made from scratch) If Goonpa starts starving it'd be easy enough to pivot to C, but I think the frostbite is a more immediate concern and option B would let him stay put and warm up more.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm taking Option C.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
A man, a Plan, a Canal - Panama!

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Tough choice. It's good to have and stick with a plan, but also to be flexible. I'm going with B

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

:woop: Weclome back!

The fishing spot thing is probably good news, honestly, it means we'll at least have a chance when we find a spot.

How about:

- Move on, but follow along the river to the northwest.
- Stop when we find a spot where we can fish and set up a base camp nearby
- Then carry on with the original plan.

That way, we're not wasting time while we look for a fishing spot, and the ground should be fairly level so we can make less-bad-pace. We'd pay for this with a steeper climb later, but that's looking like it might not be a concern.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Can we semi-game this by fishing during the most warm parts of the day and checking and setting traps the second most?

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I like lofi's plan.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I think we need to deal with this frostbite sooner rather than later. I'll go for B... hopefully one or two days is all it'll take! Any more than that... and we'll need to focus on food more than limbs.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Unfortunately, fishing spots don't stay put - the fish will go away after some time spent fishing in a certain location. I'm not sure if any other activity on the spot will make the fish go away with time as well. Either way, the plan of moving our base camp to a location with fish is not a viable one, unfortunately. (this kinda makes sense since this is usually how you'd want to fish in a survival situation where you need to be on the move, but in our very particular situation it would have been very nice to have a less effective way of fishing which allowed us to stay put available to us)

Likewise, I'm not sure whether the stove will warm us properly the same way a fire will. I'm leaning towards it just being a tool for cooking on the spot, but we can absolutely give it a try to find out. Also, afaik you will always succeed in lighting a fire eventually independent of method, but it may take a long time depending on the tool used.

Adjusting your activity after the temperature is always good advise in a survival situation - in a hotter climate we might even be better served hiking after sundown. However, without a thermometer we can only roughly estimate the temperature, and if I'm not misremembering our estimate has never climbed above "freezing" since we crashed. The temperature should of course be a few degrees warmer during daylight hours, but there's no easy way to test whether or not this has any real practical effect.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I think my problem is that I keep assuming it's like The Long Dark, which is much more thorough about modelling everything because it's a much newer game with a lot more available tricks (and yet is less realistic in a lot of ways). If we go on to do a second run in a jungle type scenario I'll hopefully stop mentally playing the wrong game :downs:

I guess we stay put for now and experiment a bit with how much warmth the stove gives off and how easy it is to light fires, then experiment with fishing once we've got a better idea of where we stand?

Maybe we'll have a miracle and something furry will fall into the trap immediately. Or maybe while we're sitting in camp something will wander in and wait for us to shoot it. Once Goonpa has mittens we'll be in much better shape, at least until the next body part fails.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

My plan for the LP is absolutely to do at least one more run after Goonpa inevitably dies reaches safety, with a more physically fit character but a slightly higher difficulty and one of the more tropical climates, to showcase the different challenges the game has to offer in different parts of the world.

If there's interest after that, I would also like to do an audience participation challenge for people who want to try out the game themselves, where we all play on the same map and see how well we do with surviving (or not).

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Black Robe posted:

I think my problem is that I keep assuming it's like The Long Dark, which is much more thorough about modelling everything because it's a much newer game with a lot more available tricks (and yet is less realistic in a lot of ways). If we go on to do a second run in a jungle type scenario I'll hopefully stop mentally playing the wrong game :downs:

I guess we stay put for now and experiment a bit with how much warmth the stove gives off and how easy it is to light fires, then experiment with fishing once we've got a better idea of where we stand?

Maybe we'll have a miracle and something furry will fall into the trap immediately. Or maybe while we're sitting in camp something will wander in and wait for us to shoot it. Once Goonpa has mittens we'll be in much better shape, at least until the next body part fails.

Yeah I'm with black robe. We need those mittens, calories be damned. Unless frostbite has no actual effect in game, we need to be aware of how fast poo poo goes downhill once you let it. Goonpa is no spring chicken.

I vote for B for now, staying until we have some servicable protection for our hands or until we've stayed for the minimum duration needed + a couple of days for frostbite to heal up. Then get a move on along the river, grabbing water and possibly fish as we go.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
frostbite has VERY REAL effects in game.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Covski posted:

the fish will go away after some time spent fishing in a certain location.

Goonpa is so very hosed. I guess plan B, then, because we have more spare calories than fingats. If we do it, I think we need to commit, and stay by the fire as much as possible till the frostbite clears.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

The only time it'll ever be relevant for Goonpa.

Plan B, is my vote.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'm with plan B.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Based on the input so far, it looks like we'll be going for a variant on plan B: We'll stay resting by the fire in camp for most of the time, except for when we journey out to check the trap. If we happen to stumble upon a fishing spot on the way, we'll take the opportunity to try our hand at some fishing. I expect we'll be doing this until our frostbite is cured, we catch a creature to make mittens out of, or we run dangerously low on food in a couple of days, whichever comes first.

Since I think the current plan for the next leg of the journey is to follow the shore of Dogleg River, we should hopefully have more fishing opportunities once we get back on the road.

Next update will be later today or sometime tomorrow.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

If we find a fishing spot, can we build a fire nearby so we don't freeze while standing about? I'd forgotten we don't have mitts, and it's made me consider just how freezing Goonpas stubby fingers will get.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

We can absolutely do that! I'll try out if A) lighting fires using sticks/magnifying glass takes us a punitive amount of time and B) whether or not the fish will go away if we spend time at a location even if we're not trying to catch it. We still have 17 or so matches left, so at our normal burn rate of one per day we should be fine even if we have to spend a few.

And for the record we do have a pair of leather gloves, although they are obviously not enough for dealing with the cold and snow. (I can't imagine wool socks+boots and a balaclava wouldn't be enough to protect our feet and face, even though the game isn't specific about the location of the frost bite)

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Covski posted:

Next update will be later today or sometime tomorrow.

Ahem.

i nag because i care

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

I really have to stop giving estimates of my update schedule, right? :shobon:

I'm away from my computer at the moment, but goonpa's adventures will continue soonish!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

After a long night's sleep, Goonpa awakens before dawn to prepare to move out to check if the trap caught anything during the night.

The trip along Dogleg river is uneventful. Goonpa sees no fishing spots along the river and unfortunately the trap hasn't caught anything, although that would have been a lot to hope for in a single night.

Having spotted no fish on the return trip either, he's back in camp again by 7 AM. I could probably have let him sleep in a bit more, to avoid having to make half the trip in darkness.

When remaking the fire, I attempted to use the magnifying glass, but there was insufficient light. This raises the question how useful the glass will be for us, unless we specifically aim to reach camp sites early enough in the day that we can actually make fires with it. We may still want to keep it around as a backup if we ever run out of matches though.

Goonpa spends the entire rest of the day lazing by the fire, and...

HE NO LONGER HAS FROSTBITE :woop:

One day by the fire is all it took, an extremely lucky break! I was fully expecting it to take longer than that, but now we can start moving out again early tomorrow - unless of course we want to gamble on the long shot of catching something in the trap to make those mitten to avoid frost bite situations in the future. You can safely ignore the dehydration, it goes away very quickly as soon as we drink, and water is in very good supply. True to real life, you should probably stop quite often to hydrate, but moving in such short increments is honestly more micromanagement than I feel up for doing and I think the game is nice enough that it has no long-term consequences.

You'll also note that Goonpa is in much better shape than he's been in a long time, a day of rest and recuperation really did wonders. If you remember, his health was down below 60% there for a while.

An update on our inventory status - food is becoming a bit short. We are out of peas, and are now working our way through our rice.

This screenshot is here just to show that it was too dark for me too look at the map - something I don't think I've ever seen before.

Luckily, Goonpa has photographic memory and can remember the map in perfect detail!

Since we'll be moving out (unless you *REALLY* want those mittens), we'll need to make a final decision on what stuff to leave behind. I believe the thread was in general agreement on dropping the snakebite kit, insect repellent and tennis shoes. I also think we wanted to leave the raincoat, since the ground cover fills the same functions unless we're expecting actual rain. The stove and the raft are the big two remaining questions - both are heavy items, but potentially useful. The stove for guaranteed food making ability regardless of the terrain, and the raft for if we want to cross Endboss River later on. Remember, we could possibly make a raft ourselves later on, although we would have to do it while still in a forest, and it would be a time consuming project with only a knife available to us. Also, do we want to pick up the trap when we pass by it on the way up Dogleg river, or just aim to make new one in the future if the need arises?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It lives! Leave the raft.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

:siren::corsair: HE LIVES! :corsair::siren:

I vote Keep the raft and grab the tarp. It's a lot of weight, but getting soaked is going to be fatal real fast.

I dunno why you're surprised by goonpa healing fast, he's not short of hand-meat. Just nibble off the worst, and carry on.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Keep the raft, grab the trap, leave the stove.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

idhrendur posted:

My zero knowledge of wilderness survival agrees.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

idhrendur posted:

This. While the hoarder in me wants to keep the stove, I think we can get by without it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

idhrendur posted:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Since the last update was ages ago, let's recap what we've done so far and discuss the current plan again.

Thanks again to Lofi for the excellent cartography job! (assuming we're not completely lost and thus doomed to die)

Goonpa's now been out in the wilderness for five days, going on six, having made it about one fifth of the way as the crow flies assuming our estimated position is correct. We managed to handle our biggest hurdle so far in the crossing of Intheway River, with Endboss river being the only other body of water between us and safety. We *could* technically walk around it, but that would add a ridiculous amount of travel time which we probably can't afford.

According to earlier discussion, our current plan seems to be simply following the shore of Dogleg River, which should end us up at a reasonable crossing point. This has the advantage of making navigation very easy, with the added bonus of having a chance of adding some much needed fish to our dwindling food stores.

This seems like a solid enough plan to me, but feel free to discuss if you have any other considerations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

idhrendur posted:

Yeah, if we're in the clear frostbitewise, I say let's leg it along dogleg river. No way are we attempting to stay put to get food or whatnot.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Of course Goonpa recovered, guy's been asleep for like four months :v:

Plan still looks solid, let's get rolling. How easy is it to forage while walking? Can you ask the game to do that for you or do you literally have to stop every twenty-thirty feet to look around manually?

Glad to see you back.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

This thread is just like Goonpa, it might move extremely slowly but it's not dead yet :v:

The game will helpfully alert you if you encounter anything edible on your travels, so no micromanagement necessary there. The non-animal foods you can find in the wild are plants, nuts, mushroom, fruit, and cacti, all of which may or may not be poisonous and vary in availability based on where you're surviving and the time of year. We picked up some edible plants at some point earlier on in the journey, which we haven't eaten yet.

There is no way to actively look for food (besides by trapping) except by moving around and hoping to encounter it randomly, but since you want to keep moving at most times anyway this is pretty reasonable. You can however actively search for water sources, though this has been a non-issue what with all the snow (which I've been boiling behind the scenes every time we make camp) and now with the access to the river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Fair enough. I figure if there's food growing anywhere it'll be along the river, so yeah, might as well just get to moving. Set the trap whenever we stop to sleep, we might get lucky. Shame we can't flip the fishing line into the water while we walk along; maybe we fish for an hour before sleep every night, or an hour every morning before we head out?