Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
If you ever wondered what might happen to Bryan Singer, Fox are currently trying to push him for best director for BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY. They've been sending out 'For Your Consideration' packets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Lmao.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

loving lol

He should be exempt from awards due to not even directing the whole drat thing. idc if it was like 70 or 80% done or whatever when he bailed and the studio said gently caress that and finished it without him.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

If you ever wondered what might happen to Bryan Singer, Fox are currently trying to push him for best director for BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY. They've been sending out 'For Your Consideration' packets.

Yeah that movie that everyone says sucks except for the lead, is already getting Selma'd despite no real Oscar buzz, and during which Singer was apparently fired for just not showing up to work

Who does Singer have tapes of I wonder

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m feeling like Fox wants the controversy to blow over so they’re going about like everything’s fine.

No way in hell is the movie getting a nom and they know it. Just pretend it is and everyone will forget about it.

Maybe.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Yeah that movie that everyone says sucks except for the lead, is already getting Selma'd despite no real Oscar buzz, and during which Singer was apparently fired for just not showing up to work

Who does Singer have tapes of I wonder

I mean

Kevin Spacey, definitely.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fart City posted:

I mean

Kevin Spacey, definitely.

That's a really bad joke, it's also almost certainly true, but still in poor taste.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I wasn’t completely joking. Spacey and Singer have long been joined at the hip, and Spacey was a regular at Singers’ house parties, if the rumors are to be believed. I do believe that there is a possibility that if Spacey did bad poo poo, and Singer did bad poo poo, then there were opportunities for them to do bad poo poo together in an environment where they had authority..

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 6, 2018

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fart City posted:

I wasn’t completely joking. Spacey and Singer have long been joined at the hip, and Spacey was a regular at Singers’ house parties, if the rumors are to be believed. I do believe that there is a possibility that if Spacey did bad poo poo, and Singer did bad poo poo, then there were opportunities for them to do bad poo poo together in an environment where they had authority..

Actually I'm suppressing evidence so that Ian McKellen isn't implicated, ruining LOTR

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It seems unkind and maybe a bit offensive to compare this film to Selma

I didn't terribly enjoy Selma but come on

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

esperterra posted:

loving lol

He should be exempt from awards due to not even directing the whole drat thing. idc if it was like 70 or 80% done or whatever when he bailed and the studio said gently caress that and finished it without him.

My understanding was that the movie was like 90% done and that Singer came back to do the edit. If, and that's a big If, Fox were ever pressed on it then they would claim that Dexter Fletcher just did minor shots, much like WB claimed with JUSTICE LEAGUE and Whedon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DrVenkman posted:

My understanding was that the movie was like 90% done and that Singer came back to do the edit. If, and that's a big If, Fox were ever pressed on it then they would claim that Dexter Fletcher just did minor shots, much like WB claimed with JUSTICE LEAGUE and Whedon.

Plus, don't most movies have secondary shooting units with other people directing the action, like even if Snyder hadn't left the film, there'd be chunks of it shot where he wasn't on set?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Skwirl posted:

Plus, don't most movies have secondary shooting units with other people directing the action, like even if Snyder hadn't left the film, there'd be chunks of it shot where he wasn't on set?

Depends on the filmmaker. Snyder strikes me as the kind of guy who, having built a considerable amount of his career on hyper-stylized, CGI-heavy action movies, wouldn't require or be none too fond of a second unit. Edgar Wright is another filmmaker who is hella anti-2nd unit, which is my pet theory over why he really jumped shark on Ant-Man.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Generally depends on his approach. There are some Directors who will very much oversee second unit work. Sometimes they'll shoot minor insert shots and the such but in the case of something like THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING, the whole fight at the end with Aragon (And one of the big crowd-pleasing parts) was done by the second unit because Jackson literally didn't have time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skwirl posted:

It depends on the exact requirements of the movie, but yes. While scenes with dialogue and action are generally all done with the director, B-roll footage (like establishing shots and other less important basic work) are often done by a different team to let the director work on the meat of the movie. You usually see movies without a B unit when the director has an extremely specific vision for what they're trying to accomplish and don't want to let other people control the footage.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DrVenkman posted:

Generally depends on his approach. There are some Directors who will very much oversee second unit work. Sometimes they'll shoot minor insert shots and the such but in the case of something like THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING, the whole fight at the end with Aragon (And one of the big crowd-pleasing parts) was done by the second unit because Jackson literally didn't have time.

The whole truck chase in Raiders of the Lost Ark was shot by the second unit

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Second unit directors are invariably some long-time guy who was worked for the director before and has spent enough time on set that his natural inclinations in shot choice and framing is going to be similar enough to the director’s as to make it smooth. Like, JUSTICE LEAGUE’s second unit was directed by Damon Caro, who has been doing stunts for Snyder since Dawn of the Dead and has worked pretty much every show Snyder’s done since.

And Singer evidently did return to Bohemian Rhapsody to do post work on it (read: he came back because the heat around Spacey and Spacey associates had died down), so he still, between pre, shooting, and post, really did a much larger percentage of the movie and thus would easily win any arbitration that would be made. The guy who came in probably got a massive paycheck to save the picture (at least if his agent is any good), did his couple of weeks, and then was like “cool” when Singer showed up to actually finish the picture and got the hell out of there as fast as possible. This is honestly probably the best sequence of events for this guy, since generally any movie that has such late in the day seismic changes turns out to be awful, and the less his name is loosely associated with it, the better. People he takes meetings with will know, but they’ll look at “he showed up to save that movie” as a positive. I imagine being a scab director for when one inevitably goes insane/gets arrested/dies/fucks the studio chief’s S.O. would be a pretty good racket if it happened even relatively often enough.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Vegetable posted:

It seems unkind and maybe a bit offensive to compare this film to Selma

I didn't terribly enjoy Selma but come on

Noting that these are different movies, by "Selma'd" I mean there is a large media pushback on the historical narrative being presented in the film. In Selma's case it was probably tantamount to a conspiracy to keep it out of the Oscar race, while Bohemian Rhapsody has essentially been accused of being Freddy Mercury fanfic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Noting that these are different movies, by "Selma'd" I mean there is a large media pushback on the historical narrative being presented in the film. In Selma's case it was probably tantamount to a conspiracy to keep it out of the Oscar race, while Bohemian Rhapsody has essentially been accused of being Freddy Mercury fanfic.

That's loving rich coming from the organization that gave Best Picture to Amadeus and Braveheart.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Amadeus is so good that it should be actual history.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Amadeus is so good that it should be actual history.

I'm not saying it didn't deserve an Oscar or 8, I'm just saying if you're going to start dismissing films from consideration because of factual inaccuracies you are opening a loving Pandora's box.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I remember people being upset about its portrayal of LBJ, but I don't recall it ever being used as an excuse for not nominating it for Oscars.

Mostly the media pushback for Selma that I recall was people upset that Selma wasn't nominated, since it was an Important Movie that was clearly good, and in no way an amateurish disjointed slog with stylistic choices that constantly undercut its own themes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bonaventure posted:

I remember people being upset about its portrayal of LBJ, but I don't recall it ever being used as an excuse for not nominating it for Oscars.

Mostly the media pushback for Selma that I recall was people upset that Selma wasn't nominated, since it was an Important Movie that was clearly good, and in no way an amateurish disjointed slog with stylistic choices that constantly undercut its own themes.

As an amateurish disjointed slog I take offense!

As the Weinsteins became prominent, they helped transform Oscar season into an all-out political campaign. It was always political, of course, but since the Weinsteins, Oscars now have candidates that hold campaign events for industry people. In that atmosphere, "Selma vilified LBJ!" becomes the film industry version of Hillary's emails.

I can't help but think that this plays a role in the Oscar telecast hurtling toward cultural irrelevance.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I remember the story of the Weinsteins spreading stories that SPR was really inaccurate in order to get Shakespeare in love to win.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

I remember the story of the Weinsteins spreading stories that SPR was really inaccurate in order to get Shakespeare in love to win.

That's an amazing amount of politicking. It's like subway bitching about how much a quarter pounder with cheese weighs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Skwirl posted:

I'm not saying it didn't deserve an Oscar or 8, I'm just saying if you're going to start dismissing films from consideration because of factual inaccuracies you are opening a loving Pandora's box.

Reminded of how the Simpsons parody of Amadaeus actually had Lisa point out the historical inaccuracies.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

What a loving hose job that was. SPR deserves that.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

sponges posted:

What a loving hose job that was. SPR deserves that.

actually the thin red line did

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

R. Guyovich posted:

actually the thin red line did

Ugh. The main charecters near endless pontification about [whatever] was unbearable.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.thedailybeast.com/alleged-emo-sex-cult-leader-william-controls-comeback-attempt-shocks-victims

quote:

Now, just a few months after a group of alleged victims claimed that he was running a “sex cult,” William Control is plugging new music on Instagram. One of his recently-released tracks, “Nothing,” contains taunting, cruel lyrics, seemingly urging an unnamed addressee (“You ugly lonely worthless human waste”) to kill themselves. A heavily auto-tuned Francis sings, “Here’s a knife and a bottle please just swallow it whole. And slit your own throat.”

“Here’s a rope and a razor blade,” Francis continues. “Because you’re nothing without me.”

While Francis doesn’t overtly say that he’s addressing his accusers, his lyrics are in keeping with sentiments that he’s previously expressed on Instagram. He captioned a September selfie, “It’s good to purge the emotional snakes you’ve let into your heart.” In one post, he dismissed the allegations as “a matter of bitterness and revenge.”

One of the women who came forward in June, Sarah*, told The Daily Beast that, having listened to the new track, she believes it to be a “very personal and direct attack.”

“In it he tells the subject that they are worthless, that they’re nothing without him, and that they should kill themselves,” she explained. “He goes on to describe the ways the subject should use to do so. It is absolutely vile and disgusting, just like him. He told me many times that I should kill myself, and also that I would one day kill myself for him, at a time of his choosing, and that he would watch. He said similar to many other of his victims too.”

This dude is loving nuts.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Wasn't there supposed to be a big exposé on Bryan Singer like a month back? Whatever happened to that?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It came out. It's been known forever. It just never got any traction because the country is on loving fire, we're putting children in concentration camps, and most of America doesn't even know who the gently caress Bryan Singer is.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

LividLiquid posted:

It came out. It's been known forever. It just never got any traction because the country is on loving fire, we're putting children in concentration camps, and most of America doesn't even know who the gently caress Bryan Singer is.

It was alleged to be with Esquire and they have not released anything.

Anonymous John fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 27, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Whatever stuff came out clearly wasn't enough because he's still getting job offers instead of being Spacey'd.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Bryan Singer has dirt on everybody.

He has dirt on me.

He has dirt on you.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Bryan Singer has forced Kevin Pollack to do Christopher Walker impressions on talk shows for decades. He does this not because he enjoys the impression, but because Pollack does not.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Who is Bryan Singer? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Kevin Spacey tell it, anybody could have worked for Singer. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Google reportedly gave Andy Rubin, the creator of Android, a $90 million exit package after deciding he needed to leave because of a sexual-misconduct investigation
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/google-reportedly-gave-andy-rubin-181354804.html

How Kevin Spacey vanished off the face of the earth: Shamed star, 59, has not been seen for a YEAR amid claims he's on a Pacific island, in France or wearing disguises
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6401449/How-Kevin-Spacey-not-seen-YEAR.html

Bono's daughter Eve Hewson reveals a policeman looked up her skirt while filming sex scene as she touches on the impact of the #MeToo movement
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6419321/Bonos-daughter-Eve-Hewson-reveals-policeman-looked-skirt-filming-sex-scene.html

Former Michigan State president charged with lying in Larry Nassar investigation
https://sports.yahoo.com/former-michigan-state-president-charged-lying-larry-nassar-investigation-211942703.html

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
With any luck, Spacey tried to change his identity and was decapitated by MS-13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Five more women (total now at nine) have come out with sexual misconduct claims against Luc Besson