Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spellman posted:

I suppose some people felt this was cheap, but it works well enough, and the scaling affected the enemy attack patterns aswell, which you had to relearn how to avoid

It undid for me what was the central point, which was that you powered up over generations and learned the enemies and castle. instead you ended up in a weird situation where it was typically way easier to just beat the game with your starting few people rather than engage with the in the title core mechanics because all that really did was make a game with large sprites and hitboxes way harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It literally becomes a bullet hell because the devs put very little effort into combat animations or cool movesets. NG+ and further removes the illusion of a polished, well designed game imo

I don't know about you guys but I don't play Castlevania style rouge lites to dodge bullets...why do all the mobs just shoot bullets anyways? The setting is a god drat miedeval castle!

(Hint: lazy devs)

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Shine posted:

Nuclear Throne loving owns for twin stick roguelikes. I'd love a Switch version.

I would throw a bucket of money at Vlambeer to make this happen.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
gently caress yes I love everything about Nuclear Throne

Now there's a game I buy to dodge bullets in

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Waffle! posted:

I would throw a bucket of money at Vlambeer to make this happen.

Odds are basically zero though

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If Caves of Qud ever comes to Switch, you'd never need another turn-based roguelike ever :allears:

Wait a minute. That game was made in Unity. Unity exports to Switch...

Who's the goon that made Qud again? I need to wave my dollars at him.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Shine posted:

Nuclear Throne loving owns for twin stick roguelikes. I'd love a Switch version.

I prefer Enter the Gungeon, but Nuclear Throne is a lot of fun. The main reason I like Gungeon more is because NT is very easy to die almost immediately to dumb bullshit like explosions you barely had time to react to, whereas Gungeon's health system is more forgiving. Gungeon also has a bit more variety. They both have a really high skill ceiling, though.

Barudak posted:

It undid for me what was the central point, which was that you powered up over generations and learned the enemies and castle. instead you ended up in a weird situation where it was typically way easier to just beat the game with your starting few people rather than engage with the in the title core mechanics because all that really did was make a game with large sprites and hitboxes way harder

Enemies in Rogue Legacy only scale from NG+ cycles and optional cursed runes, though? There's no downside to leveling up on any given game cycle.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 6, 2018

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I had to stop playing gungeon because I got sick of the first 2 floors being ammo-conserving plinkfests. I know they added more ammo but when the optimal strategy is "do the slowest thing very conservatively" it gets a little boring

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Not a Children posted:

I had to stop playing gungeon because I got sick of the first 2 floors being ammo-conserving plinkfests. I know they added more ammo but when the optimal strategy is "do the slowest thing very conservatively" it gets a little boring

This is the most common complaint and I think it is a valid one. I will say that I only really aim to use my starter weapons through the first floor to conserve ammo. If you don't open the chests prior to the first boss, you are guaranteed a gun drop from the first boss, and then you can go open both chests to get one more gun. On the second floor I will usually start using a non-starting gun (except in really easy rooms). I don't mind the resource management aspect of games like this, but yeah, the starting pistols get a little old after a while.

I will say that the hunter class is great but her crossbow one shots trash enemies on the first and second floors, which is a potential remedy for the issue you had with them.

As far as Nuclear Throne goes, I have a similar complaint: Since it's possible to die just about instantly from explosions at any moment, I crawl through the game slowly and try to plink at everything from range so I don't get killed unexpectedly.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Diablo 3 is a lot quicker now, huh. Or is that because I made a seasonal character? I'm constantly running around at supersonic speed and getting 2x damage orbs and stuff (none of which I remember from back when I last played it) and despite playing on Hard even the bosses die in seconds.

Maybe I'm just not remembering well (it has been a long time since I played it) but I feel like I remember it being slower and more deliberate, less spammy? Maybe that's what people hated so much about it?

doingitwrong posted:

Even pre launch, D3 was headed to spectacular drama. The colourful and more cartoonish art style, the complaint that it was all kidified etc etc.
ugh, I had almost forgotten about this :cripes:

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Death comes fast so why go slow? The best strategy in NT is to pick Steroids and just :blastu:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Nuclear Throne is also great for stupid poo poo with your little brother.

https://youtu.be/PGcKF7NHXX8

https://youtu.be/d6M4gL07PvI

https://youtu.be/y4MhPo1ez-w

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Your Computer posted:

Diablo 3 is a lot quicker now, huh. Or is that because I made a seasonal character? I'm constantly running around at supersonic speed and getting 2x damage orbs and stuff (none of which I remember from back when I last played it) and despite playing on Hard even the bosses die in seconds.

Maybe I'm just not remembering well (it has been a long time since I played it) but I feel like I remember it being slower and more deliberate, less spammy? Maybe that's what people hated so much about it?
Yeah, they redesigned the core game mechanics around actual fun things like doing tons of damage and moving really fast, and actually feeling stronger as you level up instead of insanely weaker. By the time you got to mid-game Inferno (final difficulty) at launch, everything was so out of balance that you pretty much had to kite individual enemies around or even bail on particular affix combos that were a guaranteed death sentence. You'd have to work on enemies for minutes at a time and they'd one-shot you easily without top-tier auction house gear.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Volte posted:

Yeah, they redesigned the core game mechanics around actual fun things like doing tons of damage and moving really fast, and actually feeling stronger as you level up instead of insanely weaker. By the time you got to mid-game Inferno (final difficulty) at launch, everything was so out of balance that you pretty much had to kite individual enemies around or even bail on particular affix combos that were a guaranteed death sentence. You'd have to work on enemies for minutes at a time and they'd one-shot you easily without top-tier auction house gear.

Jesus I remember those days, I got to Inferno on HC (and you had to clear the story of every prior difficulty with a character to unlock the harder ones) then you'd hit bugs in chapter 2 that have like 7 bonuses and they'd just roll you into the ground. Sometimes to survive you'd just restart the game if you run into a minion-type enemy in Inferno to reset spawns and hope it isn't there this time.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I played Diablo 2 back in the day, skipped D3 on the PC but have picked it up on the Switch.

It's pretty fun, I'm playing Barbarian. Is one of the things people complained about the skill tree? It's a bit odd that we can just switch between skills at will and there's no investing points in specific areas etc.

The story is trash, but haven't they always been? Big bad evil wants to devour the world/enslave humanity. You have to battle through its minions and then defeat it. OK, got it. Let's get to demon smashing.

edit: also Rogue Legacy is fun till it's not. The combat in Dead Cells is so incredibly fluid and responsive it makes almost all other 2D games feel like trash. Including Hollow Knight.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zibidibodel posted:

Jesus I remember those days, I got to Inferno on HC (and you had to clear the story of every prior difficulty with a character to unlock the harder ones) then you'd hit bugs in chapter 2 that have like 7 bonuses and they'd just roll you into the ground. Sometimes to survive you'd just restart the game if you run into a minion-type enemy in Inferno to reset spawns and hope it isn't there this time.

To add to this, minions had rage timers where they became unkillable if you took too long. For those playing D3 now, this video was the end-game combat in vanilla D3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6f0PSE3tj4

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Really dumb question but Diablo 3 doesn't have a demo on any system, right?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Oscar Wild posted:

Really dumb question but Diablo 3 doesn't have a demo on any system, right?

There's definitely a PC demo, but like WoW they call it a Starter Edition. I know for sure that the Xbox 360 version had a demo, I assume PS3 did as well. But I don't think that Xbox One or PS4 ever did

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

To add to this, minions had rage timers where they became unkillable if you took too long. For those playing D3 now, this video was the end-game combat in vanilla D3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6f0PSE3tj4

OMG the trauma of watching that. Now it's all SUPER FAST and it's just so much more fun.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Read up on what Loot 2.0 changed in D3. Before it you basically had to pray you found a sellable item and used that gold to purchase your equipment. Nothing was tailored to you so you never found poo poo for yourself.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah they basically tried force you to use the Real Money Auction (tm) because all the good drops you got were for the wrong class.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone got any recommendations for a drum controller for Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
As a lover of Souls, I bought and installed Dark Souls tonight. Fired it up, and can't get over the awful, AWFUL sound. It is SO grating.

Is this a docked-only thing?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nope, the sound is rear end all round.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Nope, the sound is rear end all round.

Thanks, for confirming QoP. Big fan of you in the PS4 thread!

Disappointed about DS on Switch. Guess I can focus on Diablo now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nah keep playing Souls because portable Souls owns owns owns. I just beat Artorias today at lunch and I'm now slowly making my way to Manus.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Moonlighter is out.

I'ts $25 on Switch and $15 on PC (and $35 physical jesus christ)

Anyone have some thoughts to share? I looks like something I would enjoy.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i started playing Dark Souls on switch and have blasted through to Anor Londo and am 100% as hooked as i was the first time around. good port, play it in handheld and drain yo battery like a maniac

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

BoyBlunder posted:

As a lover of Souls, I bought and installed Dark Souls tonight. Fired it up, and can't get over the awful, AWFUL sound. It is SO grating.

Is this a docked-only thing?

The audio is compressed due to the size constraints of the system. It's a weird port in that it performs better than the 360 and PS3, but sounds worse and was slightly visually downgraded in a couple areas (though it largely looks identical). Blighttown runs at a locked 30 FPS, at least.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

il serpente cosmico posted:

The audio is compressed due to the size constraints of the system.

That... doesn't really make sense at all. The PC version of the remaster is less than 7GB. The original PC version (which also didn't have terribly compressed audio) is less than 4GB.

Someone suggested they might've compressed the heck out of the audio to fit the game on a smaller cartridge but that would still leave the question "why not allow users to download a patch with the full audio" (like other games already do). It's just a straight up bizarre decision all around.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Your Computer posted:

That... doesn't really make sense at all. The PC version of the remaster is less than 7GB. The original PC version (which also didn't have terribly compressed audio) is less than 4GB.

Someone suggested they might've compressed the heck out of the audio to fit the game on a smaller cartridge but that would still leave the question "why not allow users to download a patch with the full audio" (like other games already do). It's just a straight up bizarre decision all around.

I wasn't specific enough. I believe the compressed audio was likely done to fit the game on a smaller cart to save money. The game comes in just a hair under 4GB; anymore would have forced them to use an 8GB cart. I agree that a patch would be great, but there are a number of unknowns there. Maybe the devs didn't want to do the work to make that happen, maybe Nintendo didn't want to approve a patch like that for any number of reasons, maybe two sets of audio data would have boned online connectivity, etc.

So when I say size constraints, I am specifically talking about size constraints in an artificial-sense. Obviously the system could accommodate the original sounds, but the publisher wanted to save some money, which is really annoying.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Hit max level in D3 and having a great time

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

When diablo 3 launched on pc there was a combination of:

- it was online only and the servers either dropped out constantly, erasing your progress, or they were incredibly laggy if you could get in (consoles can play offline). Playing with a group of friends was impossible, playing alone was difficult

- the game progression was playing through story mode over and over and just watching it get harder. The first couple of runs were too easy so you spent hours just walking from A to B clicking things with no challenge at all. The endgame was literally impossible. Now you can change difficulty off the bat and there is other stuff to do endgame.

- the actual items were super boring, they changed how stats and items worked eventually and made them interesting.

- there was a real money auction house which they removed

Plus just in general it wasn’t that good of a game to put up with all this. They made it better over time, and the console versions make specific console only changes as well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nje7jFEA3ww

3 whole games!!!!!!

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Anyone with tips on Diablo 3 for a newbie? Should I do the story mode first, or just jump right in to Adventure mode? Recommended classes?

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Palico monster hunter dude- got it on sale and turns out you can reroll your cat, is it worth bothering to try for something specific or just start out?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I don't notice the "bad sound" in Dark Souls. Maybe my ears are broken.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Wildtortilla posted:

I don't notice the "bad sound" in Dark Souls. Maybe my ears are broken.

You notice them if you happen to watch video clips between different games on the Switch. The sound is decidedly less clear, but for me it's not that much of a deal breaker.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

BoyBlunder posted:

Anyone with tips on Diablo 3 for a newbie? Should I do the story mode first, or just jump right in to Adventure mode? Recommended classes?

Storymode is decent for introducing the abilities and mechanics to you slowly. Try it out and if it starts to feel too slow, you can always switch to adventure mode.

You can change difficulty and your skills at any time, so don't be afraid to experiment. The game is all about making the numbers going up and combining your abilities to manage resources in ways to abuse the mechanics and break the difficulty over your knee. And then switch to a higher difficulty for better loot and so on. I wouldn't look up builds when getting started, I'd just try stuff out. Builds are for later when you hit 70 and can start grinding for specific gear. In earlier levels it's more fun to just try changing skills to work with the skills that you found.

There is a setting called "elective mode" that changes the default from having one category of skills per button to being able to assign any skill from any category to any button (which means you can have two skills from the same category). Turn this on. It opens up worlds of new possibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Pijeus posted:

Palico monster hunter dude- got it on sale and turns out you can reroll your cat, is it worth bothering to try for something specific or just start out?

For just starting out, it doesn't matter a whole lot. I would recommend looking up gaijinhunter on YouTube and watching his videos on Palicos (if nothing else, it's helpful to know what attacks you have access to).

Long story short is that yes the skills matter, but not as much as you might think. You can have cats teach other cats skills, and the most important moves for cats that use boomerangs are big boomerangs and piercing boomerangs, and the skill Boomerang Pro.

You still need to unlock the skills by fighting monsters and leveling cats though, so for super early game it doesn't matter a whole lot.

People can also share some premade cats with you later that have most of what you need already on them.