Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The only way to make sense of the scale of battletech's tiny militaries is that it's regressed to a pre-nationalistic conception of politics. So the concept of popular insurgency just does not exist and conflict is just between knights and hired armsmen.

Happily this works out very well with the setting concept. Unhappily the concept of nationalism is very baked into the DNA of all the factions and lore but eh, can't win em all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

On a galactic scale sure, but outside capital and core production worlds the nationalism is considerably less entrenched. The people and even the local governments are accustomed to having almost no contact with their various lieges and for those on the borders changing from one Great House to another usually isn't a huge disruption in their day-to-day. Except if they get taken over by the Combine, cause then they hosed, but so far as the fiction goes the DC is frequently shown to suffer from insurrection and uprising more often than the other successor states.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 6, 2018

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Klyith posted:

But speaking of mods, one of the things I've been wanting is more enemy loadout variety. I've looked into stuff like the JK variants mod, but don't like how it more than doubles the number of chassis types in the game. As the player I don't need 65 more chassis types because I have the mech bay, and it makes salvaging new mechs a drag.

But I tried poking at a couple things, and what I found is that you don't have to follow the chassis rules when you make a pre-defined mechdef. So it's possible to make mechs that have totally different loadouts that still use the same chassis id, which I think means they give you standard chassis in salvage. As long as I follow the hardpoint file that says what weapons the model supports, it loads in game fine and looks good (no floating weapons).

Not sure if it's inherent to JK or a function of Consolidated Company Commander, but I'm running with CCC and the way it works is if you get enough pieces (five in my game but variable in pre-game setup) of a single variant you get that variant but if you get to five of any combination of the base model they get slammed together into the primary variant. So if you get five COM-1C parts (God help you) you get a COM-1C, but if you had two COM-1Cs, a COM-2D, and two COM-2Bs, they all get mashed by Yang into an intact COM-2D (the base model).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That seems really painful if you're hunting for a particular variant

Really want an ONI-V for your lance, and have four out of five pieces? Here's an ONI-K piece randomly selected from your salvage, enjoy your new mech!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

jng2058 posted:

Not sure if it's inherent to JK or a function of Consolidated Company Commander, but I'm running with CCC and the way it works is if you get enough pieces (five in my game but variable in pre-game setup) of a single variant you get that variant but if you get to five of any combination of the base model they get slammed together into the primary variant. So if you get five COM-1C parts (God help you) you get a COM-1C, but if you had two COM-1Cs, a COM-2D, and two COM-2Bs, they all get mashed by Yang into an intact COM-2D (the base model).

That must be something from Consolidated, the regular JK variants is a "dumb" mod that doesn't have any game code dll with it.

Being able to glue different variant parts together to make a mech would be my 2nd favorite method of handling the problem of too many variants, except for where CCC doesn't let you choose which you get. That sucks.

(My #1 favorite method would be to abandon the 1/N model entirely and go completely back to the drawing board on salvage, but that's beyond the scope of even modding.)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Jabor posted:

That seems really painful if you're hunting for a particular variant

Really want an ONI-V for your lance, and have four out of five pieces? Here's an ONI-K piece randomly selected from your salvage, enjoy your new mech!

It gives you the variety that you have the most pieces of. It only defaults to the prime variant if the pieces are evenly distributed between different types. In your example you would get a Orion V.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Klyith posted:

And this takes you to funny places! A while ago I was talking with a friend about this, plus the whole Battletech idea of mechs = knights = feudalism because the mechs are rare and get handed down in families.

This is backwards; knights didn't get their position because they had armor, they could afford the armor because of their position. A suit of full armor was crazy expensive because it had to be custom made by a skilled smith. A knight didn't use his dad's armor, you really couldn't unless you were the exact same size and weight and body proportions. Armor was crafted to be as mobile and non-hindering as possible which meant extremely well fitted. The work around the joints was super intricate. (The exception, and the reason that at one time people thought full armor was much more heavy and constraining: jousting armor. A lot of display armor that got handed down and put into museums was jousting armor. That's the stuff that guys had to be hoisted into their saddle while wearing. Jousts were sport.)

So go from there and you get an reason for why Mechs are a good idea: it's a 60 ton war machine that's as fast and nimble as a human. You can run and dodge and duck behind cover, mech versus tank is like an able person versus a guy in a wheelchair. It's also why they're super expensive. Each mech is unique to the person fighting in it, so the ruler is only going to make them for his most accomplished and more importantly loyal warriors. Thus feudalism.

But what does that end up looking like? Not Battlemechs. Mecha. Those are anime giant robots.

The approach in Aldnoah.Zero was pretty good. Only the Big E and direct descendants had admin rights to the alien civilization supertech they found, and could pass on activation rights to trusted vassals to elevate them into nobility. Result: the 'Orbital Knights', each with their own custom-made mecha with a unique alien supertech gimmick (that they didn't share with other nobles because they were in constant competition), as well as a 'Landing Castle' to base their operations from.

So they'd drop right in the middle of enemy territory, come out alone on their supermech and swing their dick around, and once opposition was well and properly crushed they'd go back to their Castles to drink wine and leave their conventional forces to take care of all the boring occupation jobs.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

And this takes you to funny places! A while ago I was talking with a friend about this, plus the whole Battletech idea of mechs = knights = feudalism because the mechs are rare and get handed down in families.

This is backwards; knights didn't get their position because they had armor, they could afford the armor because of their position. A suit of full armor was crazy expensive because it had to be custom made by a skilled smith. A knight didn't use his dad's armor, you really couldn't unless you were the exact same size and weight and body proportions. Armor was crafted to be as mobile and non-hindering as possible which meant extremely well fitted. The work around the joints was super intricate. (The exception, and the reason that at one time people thought full armor was much more heavy and constraining: jousting armor. A lot of display armor that got handed down and put into museums was jousting armor. That's the stuff that guys had to be hoisted into their saddle while wearing. Jousts were sport.)

So go from there and you get an reason for why Mechs are a good idea: it's a 60 ton war machine that's as fast and nimble as a human. You can run and dodge and duck behind cover, mech versus tank is like an able person versus a guy in a wheelchair. It's also why they're super expensive. Each mech is unique to the person fighting in it, so the ruler is only going to make them for his most accomplished and more importantly loyal warriors. Thus feudalism.

But what does that end up looking like? Not Battlemechs. Mecha. Those are anime giant robots.

To be honest, I always imagined Battlemechs to move like that. Anime mecha attracted my attention because I got to Battletech first and saw machines moving as swift in my Battletech-influenced imagination, so I was like "Hell yeah, it's like the Japanese version of Battletech!"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Mechs take time to get used to, they're partly brain piloted. Each model is a new skill, especially with the clunky interfaces of the timeframe the game takes place in. Professional pilots are in part sought after because they can pick up new chassis easily or have experience in a wide variety of them.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Klyith posted:

I got the Grey Death Trilogy and read it leading up to the launch of this game. The descriptions of how Greyson would move in his SHD was much more Gundam like and fluid than most of the novels that come afterwards. He was even doing shoulder rolls, somehow the big cannon sticking out of the LT was never an issue for that kind of thing. It read like this gif put to words.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Amechwarrior posted:

I got the Grey Death Trilogy and read it leading up to the launch of this game. The descriptions of how Greyson would move in his SHD was much more Gundam like and fluid than most of the novels that come afterwards. He was even doing shoulder rolls, somehow the big cannon sticking out of the LT was never an issue for that kind of thing. It read like this gif put to words.

I love this poo poo! :allears:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Battletech almost makes the stupidest kind of sense if you assume that everyone is deathly down-to-the-bone afraid of total warfare, and that even the most insane House Lords will quietly collaborate to maintain mech fightin' as the prime determinant of who owns a planet.

From the Clan Invasion up through the Jihad you get a steady escalation from '3025 shoot a medium laser and an autocannon and hit nothing for 4 hours, a lance of mechs can take a planet' to the Civil War era's 'multiple divisions clashing in set piece engagements supported by WarShips'. Then the Jihad finally brings the setting to the verge of 'realism', orbital bombardment and nuclear attack are the order of the day, the Blakists are dropping asteroids from deep space and control of a world is determined not by Battlemech landings but by drone WarShip fleets.

Everyone is so loving appalled by this that in a sort of collective trauma they try to go back to the 3025 status quo through disarmament. Unfortunately you can't put the genie back in the bottle and the buildup begins again.

(I've been rereading old Battletech books and holy poo poo do they fall apart bad. Prince of Havoc is the climax of the entire Clan Invasion storyline and it is, I poo poo you not, Michael Stackpole listing off which mech fired at which mech, where their weapons hit, and whether the target made the PSR to stay standing for at least 50% of the text.)

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Don't forget that tech is borked and surpressed in the 4th Succession era when this game is set.

There are examples of people being 'one' with their chosen 'mech and being able to pilot it like an extension of their bodies - rather than a big awkward robot.

In general people who can do this are absolute monsters on the battlefield. Our favourite blacksamurai Minobu Tetsuhara was hinted at being like this in his families ancestral Panther, Katana Kat

I can't remember the name for this ability. I think Grayson mentioned above was also like this, but as a Mary Sue he seemed to be able to do it in just about every mech.

These people are the precussor to the Word of Blake Manei Domini, who used advanced cerebral implants to interface directly with their battlemechs (driving them totally insane in the process). The people I mentioned above didn't need the implants to do this, and could pilot their mechs intuitivly just through the Neurohelmet. Sometimes not even needing to use the controls.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

General Battuta posted:

Battletech almost makes the stupidest kind of sense if you assume that everyone is deathly down-to-the-bone afraid of total warfare, and that even the most insane House Lords will quietly collaborate to maintain mech fightin' as the prime determinant of who owns a planet.

From the Clan Invasion up through the Jihad you get a steady escalation from '3025 shoot a medium laser and an autocannon and hit nothing for 4 hours, a lance of mechs can take a planet' to the Civil War era's 'multiple divisions clashing in set piece engagements supported by WarShips'. Then the Jihad finally brings the setting to the verge of 'realism', orbital bombardment and nuclear attack are the order of the day, the Blakists are dropping asteroids from deep space and control of a world is determined not by Battlemech landings but by drone WarShip fleets.

Everyone is so loving appalled by this that in a sort of collective trauma they try to go back to the 3025 status quo through disarmament. Unfortunately you can't put the genie back in the bottle and the buildup begins again.

(I've been rereading old Battletech books and holy poo poo do they fall apart bad. Prince of Havoc is the climax of the entire Clan Invasion storyline and it is, I poo poo you not, Michael Stackpole listing off which mech fired at which mech, where their weapons hit, and whether the target made the PSR to stay standing for at least 50% of the text.)

The sad part is, Isaac Arthur Battletech with in-system and inter-system space battles would read and play exactly like the real thing. Lurms would still be cancer, with the added bonus of sending an entire city or space station straight to satan. Autocannons would tear off entire sections of ships or at least suck them dry. Lasers would still be the most convenient and weight-efficient weapons and AMS would be a waste of tonnage that only encouraged people to use more lurm. Everyone would prefer long-range combat and alpha strikes to prevent agile short range missile carriers or fast kamikate craft from dominating the battlefield.

You'd still get an elite 20% of pilots that did 80% of all the work, and they would have to use neurohelmets and/or implants to give themselves faster reaction times. The maximum number of crew members you would ever need or want on a ship would be exactly four.

Drones and AI would be extensively used, both offensively and to provide maintenance and logistics.

War would still mostly be the biggest scam in the universe. The only things that really change are the scale and enviromental impact.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Klyith posted:

I thought the expensive part was the horses

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/developer-diaries-6-the-making-of-a-hatchetman.1127078/
Dev Diary 6: The Making of a Hatchetman

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:pusheen:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Huh

Honestly not sure how I feel about a retracting hatchet.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's extremely anime I tell you what

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Cyrano4747 posted:

Huh

Honestly not sure how I feel about a retracting hatchet.

I think it is cool as

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That hatchet design is loving awesome. Who cares if it breaks with canon; rule of cool #1.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I don't know anything about historical battletech, but that looks pretty sweet.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

That hatchet design is loving awesome. Who cares if it breaks with canon; rule of cool #1.

THIS

At first my grog sense kicked in and it wasn't like TT/lore. Then I saw it in action on the stream and I was converted. It's awesome and I can't wait to hit things with it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The bit about the VR sculpt is really cool, the concept artist being able to take their work all the way to 3d is super cool for their workflow.

The retracting hatchet in that gif doesn't look great because everything's a bit short and fat. The final model looks great though, and I love the idea of the pop-out axe. In particular it solves the "why can't I give this axe to my other mech?" question.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I thought the expensive part was the horses

and those, and the rest of your equipment, and the servants & men-at-arms, and the baggage, and the training you got when you were a teen, and and and...

The feudal system was all social-economic conditions, not military technology, and the military value of knights is actually kinda dubious. (At the beginning of the 100 years war france was the most classic feudal example, and their army was centered on knights / armored cavalry. They got owned by england's hired common soldiers.)

I was looking at their armor specifically because it's the direct analogy to a battlemech. The way that armor was amazingly good at keeping people alive helped preserve feudalism and create the chivalry idea, because if you were rich you could go to war and have a pretty good chance of not being killed. If mechs are doing the same type of thing, being a big force multiplier *and* ensuring that as a rich noble you are thinking more about having to ransom yourself after a loss rather than being dead, then battletech feudalism is maybe more plausible.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

It’s not that it breaks cannon im just not sure I’m I to the look hopefully it grows on me

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Cyrano4747 posted:

It’s not that it breaks cannon im just not sure I’m I to the look hopefully it grows on me

I don't care if it breaks canon, but I hope it breaks cannon because chopping off an opponent's AC20 would be amazing

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I'm down with the hatchet re-desgin. Really I'm happy to be getting more mech chassis in general. I think the early game tends to look a bit samey, at the moment, due to the fact that most of the mech variety is in mediums and heavies

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I thought CCC Sandbox sounded decent so I thought I'd give it a go but despite following all possible permutations of installation instructions I'm stuck here an hour later with Mechs that refuse to move where I tell them to on what appears to be the first mission after the prologue.

Am I the worlds biggest moron or is there some arcane step I am missing? How hard can it be to run an .exe and copy some files, gently caress.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I'm down with the hatchet re-desgin. Really I'm happy to be getting more mech chassis in general. I think the early game tends to look a bit samey, at the moment, due to the fact that most of the mech variety is in mediums and heavies

Lights have 9 distinct variants across 6 unique models, plus the Urbanmech.
Mediums have 17 variants, 11 models.
Heavies have 15 variants, 9 models.
Assaults have 13 variants, 9 models.

There's no significant difference beyond the lack of lights, and lights suck so...

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Fellblade posted:

I thought CCC Sandbox sounded decent so I thought I'd give it a go but despite following all possible permutations of installation instructions I'm stuck here an hour later with Mechs that refuse to move where I tell them to on what appears to be the first mission after the prologue.

Am I the worlds biggest moron or is there some arcane step I am missing? How hard can it be to run an .exe and copy some files, gently caress.

Just to verify you mean this mod right? https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/136?tab=description I haven't hosed with this one in a while but there is a specific order if you are installing the optional mods as well: https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/136?tab=posts

Conspiratiorist posted:

Lights have 9 distinct variants across 6 unique models, plus the Urbanmech.
Mediums have 17 variants, 11 models.
Heavies have 15 variants, 9 models.
Assaults have 13 variants, 9 models.

There's no significant difference beyond the lack of lights, and lights suck so...

I feel like I'm not understanding the distinction you're trying to make here. My point was that lights have the fewest chassis, which you seem to agree with, and in the early game you run into them in droves

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The new mechs are 2 Mediums and an Assault.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I feel like we're talking past each other now. I think the original problem was that my first post contained two completely separate points and I could have made that clearer. Either way this is dumb and let's drop it

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Just to verify you mean this mod right? https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/136?tab=description I haven't hosed with this one in a while but there is a specific order if you are installing the optional mods as well: https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/136?tab=posts

That's the one.

Don't have an existing mod folder to delete, install BTML, run the injector, install the metadatabase, copy all the tiles over, install sandbox, install patch.

I've done this fresh, deleted and done this again after a verify files and done this without the patch. All have the same issue, don't see any movement UI except when clicking they run towards the same point nowhere near where I clicked down in the bottom left somewhere.

Going to give it another go but I'm pretty sure I'm following the instructions. I don't suppose there's console output I can view that might give me a hint as to what is going wrong?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
afaik there's no console output for the game or btml

To be honest I've never heard of this problem before and you may want to reach out to the mod creator. I think amechwarrior has spoken to him before and I got the impression that they were pretty chill and helpful

I'm not at home but I can try to install the mod tonight and see if the same thing happens to me

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Conspiratiorist posted:

The new mechs are 2 Mediums and an Assault.

I think I remember the Cyclops being the Assault, but what is the other Medium?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
crab

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ah right, that one. Welp, the Crab is neat but every time I hear "new mech" , I still hope for one of the unseen to come back.

Yeah , I know, there is no hope.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

To be honest I've never heard of this problem before and you may want to reach out to the mod creator. I think amechwarrior has spoken to him before and I got the impression that they were pretty chill and helpful

I'm not at home but I can try to install the mod tonight and see if the same thing happens to me

Well predictably the fourth attempt worked, genuinely not sure what was different but obviously it was something on my end. Thanks for the help regardless.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fellblade posted:

Going to give it another go but I'm pretty sure I'm following the instructions. I don't suppose there's console output I can view that might give me a hint as to what is going wrong?

there's a fairly verbose log at \BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\output_log.txt

9/10 times this tells me which component or json I've hosed up, little less helpful with DLL mods but hey not HBS's fault in that case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I always felt some of the same-ish feeling was driven by the silhouettes being pretty similar at zoomed out tactical scale, because all the MWO mechs are blocky robots.

Which is both good in that it's a consistent style and bad in that many of the differences that do exist are not pronounced at BT's typical camera zoom. Once I started giving my giant punch robots unique paint jobs, it helped. Having more distinct silhouettes in general will help too.

also the hatchet looks awesome and makes a ton of sense to me. Yeah you have this big murderous blade weapon but you also have a way to store it safely when not in use so Dekker doesn't hatchet himself by accident.