Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Ginette Reno posted:

Think I'm gonna do something similar but with a Priest of Wael/Lifegiver multi. Use the plant staff and just be a roided up heal bot.

Haha I'm giving mine the chromoprismatic / Magran's shield + axe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Make the not-4e game that I know you want to do, Obsidian!

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

DoctorTristan posted:

JFC that’s around 100k full priced unit sales

To expand a little further, this means that Obsidian spent about $4.4M of backer money (ignoring Fig’s cut) plus some unknown amount of their own funds and made about $4.5M in sales revenues.

So yeah, RIP Pillars.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

How are u posted:

Probably! Come on, Microsoft. Give us the open-world 3d Pillars game we all want.
:hai:

I hope Deadfire flopping doesn't cause Obsidian to drop Eora as a setting. I like almost everything about it, especially compared to some of the other stuff in the genre. Like, I enjoyed playing D:OS2 and Pathfinder: Kingmaker more than Deadfire, but the Divinity world is so bland I don't even know what it's called or if it even has a name and Golarion is an incoherent kitchen sink mess that seems kinda fun but only if you don't think too hard about barbarians fighting robots.
I definitely think Eora can stand up to the settings of Fallout/Witcher/TES.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Breaking even in a niche market full of grogs ain't a flop

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

DoctorTristan posted:

To expand a little further, this means that Obsidian spent about $4.4M of backer money (ignoring Fig’s cut) plus some unknown amount of their own funds and made about $4.5M in sales revenues.

So yeah, RIP Pillars.

It’s been less than a year though - hopefully it will keep making some more money for a while still, and there’s the dlc too.

If they do make poe3 it will probably ape after divinity 2 even more though which is disapointing. :(

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 7, 2018

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

isk posted:

It sold a lot less than POE1 and the investors aren't getting their money back. Niche market or not, I'd call that a flop even if Obsidian didn't lose any money.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Eh, those are not flop numbers but they also aren't "a sequel is automatically happening" numbers either. Just goes to show the market is fickle.

If Obsidian makes another game in the series they should really double down heavily on a glossy character creator, I'm convinced that was 95% of the reason for DOS 2's success.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
What was so good about D:OS2's character creator?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
In a studio of ~100 people (which I believe is approximately what Obsidian have), 4.5M will maybe be enough to meet payroll for a bit less than a year (assuming an average salary of 50k and ignoring all taxes, operating costs etc.) - more if they lay some people off. That would give them enough time to put together a pitch and roll the dice once more on crowdfunding, but it seems unlikely that would end up any better than Deadfire did.

Yes, they probably have a few other income sources and cash reserves, but if the game sold that badly then I can see why management felt that selling the studio was their only real option.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If Obsidian makes another game in the series they should really double down heavily on a glossy character creator, I'm convinced that was 95% of the reason for DOS 2's success.

Yeah it was the glossy character creator that was the success, not that the game was Turn-Based, yep yep

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Obsidian never relies on a single project. The majority of the studio is presumably currently funded by Private Division and is working on the Cain/Boyarsky project.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

frajaq posted:

Yeah it was the glossy character creator that was the success, not that the game was Turn-Based, yep yep

It was because shiny graphics, wackyness and multiplayer focus, imo.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I doubt turn based hurt anything, sure.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Obsidian never relies on a single project. The majority of the studio is presumably currently funded by Private Division and is working on the Cain/Boyarsky project.

That's the Take Two published title, right? When are they going to say what that game is exactly?

DrakeD
Jul 9, 2008

Rats in the hallway again!

Avalerion posted:

It was because shiny graphics, wackyness and multiplayer focus, imo.

and the non-fixed camera, probably (which i'm not really that much into tbh).
i'm playing d:os 2 right now, i have to admit i'm digging the turn based combat a lot but i also think that turn based with fixed camera would get kind of boring.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The multiplayer component can't be understated imo. That's a big draw for a lot of people and big, dense rpgs like these don't often have multiplayer so its pretty novel.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

That's the Take Two published title, right? When are they going to say what that game is exactly?

I mean, I have no idea. I don't work at Obsidian or Take2. The game won't be out before March 2019 (this is shared by all the announced Private Division projects, except for Kerbal which is already out), and I suspect it will be out a little later than that, so it entirely depends on what they decide the best strategy for the announcement is.

If the announcement of an Obsidian buyout is imminent, I could see them revealing the game there, but who the hell knows.

EDIT: Honestly, I think the appeal for Divinity: Original Sin 2 comes down to the sandbox-y open gameplay (same as Bethesda, really), the story feeling extremely eventful and well-paced (I think the Divinity: Original Sin 2 writing is... just okay, but they definitely spent a lot of time trying to make sure you're on an eventful journey with constantly escalating stakes), the multiplayer, and the highly flexible but easy to understand in terms of basics tactical combat. I have a laundry list of complaints about that game, but it's an extremely well-executed take on an ambitious idea and it happens to be more in line with mainstream sensibilities than something like Pillars.

I'm afraid Pillars is sitting in a tight spot where it's too similar to older games to really rope in many new players, but too far from grognardialand to make the IE diehards happy. It's a pity, because I've been having a grand old time with both games, even with their flaws, and many of the decisions made with Pillars of Eternity 2 felt tailor-made to make me enjoy the game.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 7, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

isk posted:

I mean it is, breaking even on something makes it a flop insofar as you don’t gain the revenue that would fund the next thing, and that’s just talking 1:1 dollars from revenue to debt payment, which is not really how it works. It’s not good.

If anything it’s an indication that the subset of grogs you’re targeting is smaller than you thought, or not targeted wisely enough. Larian demonstrated that there’s money out there, Monday morning quarterbacking on what may or may not have fallen short will continue until I’m dead and can no longer read it accidentally.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 7, 2018

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

MMF Freeway posted:

The multiplayer component can't be understated imo. That's a big draw for a lot of people and big, dense rpgs like these don't often have multiplayer so its pretty novel.

It's not "novel" - BG and NWN did it years ago. They just dug up an old idea, and it so happens that the market was ready for it. Not having MP in PoE was a big bummer for me, but OBS had to make choices then.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, Neverwinter Nights multiplayer was pretty successful but required a lot more investment on part of the players. BG just had plain bad multiplayer.

Divinity's multiplayer is great because it works out of the box, multiplayer is baked into the design of the game. That can't be understated.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Any idea how Pathfinder might be doing for comparison?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Wonder how long it´ll be before Chris Avellone post something smug about these news on his current echochamber?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Granted I’m not plugged into the grog machine but I’ve not gotten the sense that there were a lot of people on D:OS2 multiplayer, enough that it would be a major draw.

But if I were Joe Q Schmuck, a guy who doesn’t frequent RPG sperg forums, flipping idly through Steam ads looking for a new game to play, I would probably respond to D:OS2 before PoE2. The aesthetic is simpler and approachably generic high fantasy in that Diablo kind of way, the evident tone is lighter and looser, all that plus the existence of multiplayer suggests a game that I can just pick up and put down with a minimum of trouble.

PoE2 by contrast would appear more serious and probably more ambitious, but also the kind of game that would demand more from me in terms of time and commitment for me to meet it where it is. And when it’s the clearly epic sequel to a game that also looks epic and I probably haven’t played (or haven’t played for a period of years, or never finished), that’s going to go into my “when I have time” wishlist.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
This is all anecdotal, but I definitely know a bunch of people who aren't cRPG grognards who really got into playing D:OS2 in multiplayer. It was a thing they used heavily in the game marketing too, with famous streamers playing the game together in co-op.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

DrakeD posted:

and the non-fixed camera, probably (which i'm not really that much into tbh).
i'm playing d:os 2 right now, i have to admit i'm digging the turn based combat a lot but i also think that turn based with fixed camera would get kind of boring.

I found the camera in Divinity 1 to be completely awful, you had to constantly adjust it every time you were in the big town. I guess the Pillars style just appeals to me, the graphics are beautiful, the camera angle just works and rtwp is just a lot more fun to play than turnbased.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

This is all anecdotal, but I definitely know a bunch of people who aren't cRPG grognards who really got into playing D:OS2 in multiplayer. It was a thing they used heavily in the game marketing too, with famous streamers playing the game together in co-op.
As a cRPG grognard, I found both D:OS games dull when I tried to play them alone. I loved them both as multiplayer experiences.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Sylphosaurus posted:

Wonder how long it´ll be before Chris Avellone post something smug about these news on his current echochamber?

No need to wait. He retweeted this just a little while ago:

https://twitter.com/Aerothorn/status/1060202788989222912

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Obviously Obsidian needs to have graphic sex scenes narrated by a 60 year-old or so Shakespearian actor. Maybe get Patrick Stewart to narrate your game and those scenes for Pillars 3.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Any idea how Pathfinder might be doing for comparison?

We really have no clue at this point. Only known numbers are 19k backers and 22k peak concurrent players on steam. But how many people bought it on steam and gog this last month is unknown.
Steamspy has a very wide '100-200k' estimation.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TotalLossBrain posted:

No need to wait. He retweeted this just a little while ago:

https://twitter.com/Aerothorn/status/1060202788989222912

lmao. the look on the face of a fool who thought john schafter's scam was gonna pay out. poe2, and all other games funded on that platform, made its returns on the crowdfunded orders and investors, which didn't count towards the investor cut.

this guy just doesn't understand that the launch month wasn't when it made the bulk of its sales; it was when poe2 was announced for crowdfunding.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 7, 2018

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Love it. Of course a dude with blue hair fucks up understanding their investment into a video game launched through a crowdfunding website. Those dividents!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
He notes a few tweets down that he didn't actually expect a return on his investment and thought the break even goal of 500k was unrealistic

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Multiplayer means that you, the grog, can help with your friend/partner, the non-grog, in an environment where you're working together and explain all the grog mechanics as necessary, or just goof off in the many ways DOS lets you. It definitely has its appeal.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
there's a good deal of evidence to suggest that non-generic, non-high fantasy crpgs--too historical, too non-european, too innovative, too 'weird'--tend to suffer in the marketplace. jeff vogel of spiderweb software almost totally bankrupted himself when he made nethergate in 1999. nethergate represented a very small shift from the generic high fantasy of his previous exile series to a more historical rome/celtic hybrid fantasy setting. by every conventional qualitative measure, nethergate was just as good, if not better, than the exile series. more painstaking attention to detail, more quality art assets, different story paths. but it sold like 20% as many copies. vogel was forced to conclude it wasn't what his customers wanted.

Zane fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 8, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
^ Yeah I'm wondering if the unusual setting and plot had anything to do with the game struggling to sell well.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
poe's exploration/renaissance era fantasy setting is a breath of fresh air compared to the competition tbqh

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The thing with multiplayer is that it also helps make your game more accessible to being streamed, which is a pretty big form of advertisement.

Also, I would wager being turn based did help Divinity 2. One of the things I saw for it plenty was comparisons to the X-COM revival games, which were themselves pretty successful. And, again, turn based combat is a lot easier to show off while streaming; PoE 2 fights look really good, but if you aren't constantly pausing to point stuff out, it's going to also be very hard to follow if you aren't personally engaging with it once a lot of poo poo starts happening on the screen.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
https://twitter.com/USgamernet/status/1060254834442461184?s=19

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1060268051797430273?s=19

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

frajaq posted:

I mean... yeah? Both Divinity games were marketed well and polished to hell, I really doubt any newcomers to crpgs were looking at the turn-based bulletpoint and going "yes, finally, the game I've been looking for!"
They're responding to good 3d graphics, streamer-marketed multiplayer, and the big focus of Larian's press, the fleshed out origins