Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I want to know mmore about this too, but also about the reshootings on the first movie?

Originally they wanted to do the Rangers with visorless helmets so you could see the actors emoting while morphed. They realised that was a terrible idea and had to reshoot some stuff relating to that.

There was also the stuff where Mariska Hargitay came in to replace the original Dulcea actress when she took ill then was taken out again when the original actress got better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Box of Bunnies posted:

Originally they wanted to do the Rangers with visorless helmets so you could see the actors emoting while morphed. They realised that was a terrible idea and had to reshoot some stuff relating to that.

Wow that is incredibly awful looking

quote:

There was also the stuff where Mariska Hargitay came in to replace the original Dulcea actress when she took ill then was taken out again when the original actress got better

But like

Dulcea has like two scenes

You could’ve wrapped that in a day

Why would you need to
What

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think the visible faces would look halfway decent if they also had cut out the middle portion instead of leaving in that bridge

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I will never understand how they got Dulcea's outfit approved or why they even made that choice to begin with

I guess it's a good thing they never tried to take her into the show proper

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A little something for the dads.

Though in some of those season 2 eps AJJs jean shorts and tied up shirt honestly weren't covering up much more than Dulcea

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Where was the Masked Rider content for moms?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dex was a hunk! And he could wow moms with his Simon playing skills

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Box of Bunnies posted:

Oh my god those helmets look bad.

Sockser posted:

Wow that is incredibly awful looking

But like

Dulcea has like two scenes

You could’ve wrapped that in a day

Why would you need to
What

Nah, she's got about fifteen to twenty minutes of stuff (movie was paced pretty bad).

Apparently, they were filming about a page a day. Though I can't findt he article i saw that on

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

was the intent with that open-face helmet look to CGI in transparent visors and silver mouths (which then match their actual mouths) later? i cant imagine them just leaving those holes open

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Or maybe have the full visors appear like Ninja Storm eventually did?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This is a weird fuckin dinner party

https://twitter.com/jdfffn/status/1059860125547143170?s=19

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tommy hanging out with Dawn Summers, Ritchie Valens, and Jack Bauer.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
JDF: "So what's it like being actually famous and not having to show up to cons and fleece nerds for photographs all the time?"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I mean, would he be asking that solely of the Keif and Lou?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do you think JDF could get cast in a Sentai or other Japanese toku show if he called in some favors? Like are toku fans over there aware of him in the way that we would be aware of Shiro Sano?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Do you think JDF could get cast in a Sentai or other Japanese toku show if he called in some favors? Like are toku fans over there aware of him in the way that we would be aware of Shiro Sano?

That depends. How native Japanese is JDF?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
He could be fun as super amerikajin sensei.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Don't have him speak Japanese either. Just put subtitles and have everyone understand him anyways.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I know they sometimes readapt PR for Japan, but do their audience even care about MMPR? Like, I was under the impression that Zyuranger was viewed kinda like "yeah, it sure was a show in this series" and the fans were baffled by the western boner for a middling sentai. Am I wrong?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Everything from MMPR to I believe Lost Galaxy was redubbed. It’s been come and go since then. But with the exception of some ‘westaboo’ (ugh) I don’t think Japanese viewers elevate Tommy the way US viewers did.

Japan still mostly associates that green ranger with dying at the end of the show. One of the more depressing things about adapting Gokaiger footage is that the only time the green ranger shows up he is immediately punked out so his shield can transfer to red. That’s fine when your audience is like, “lol I get it that’s because he’s dead” but it’s inconvenient when the character is a keystone of a merchandising empire.

We already know from the past JDF doesn’t like long stints on other continents. Unless it’s some one-odd event where he teams up with Akared and Rider 1 to beat up some crossover monster, I don’t see the point. The cost of getting his involvement outweighs whatever Toei gets from it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I know they sometimes readapt PR for Japan, but do their audience even care about MMPR? Like, I was under the impression that Zyuranger was viewed kinda like "yeah, it sure was a show in this series" and the fans were baffled by the western boner for a middling sentai. Am I wrong?

Wasn't Zyu the first to have a Sixth Ranger and individualized weapons for the Team? Even if it wasn't good that would make it at least kinda important.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

galagazombie posted:

Wasn't Zyu the first to have a Sixth Ranger and individualized weapons for the Team? Even if it wasn't good that would make it at least kinda important.

It's the first to have a Sixth Ranger that sticks around and joins the team. Bioman has the first Sixth Ranger alike character, and Maskman has the first full on Sixth Ranger, though he only lasted for a single episode

Not the first individualized weapons.

MMPR from what I've heard (and Lost Galaxy) was better received in Japan than their Sentai counterparts, but not to any extreme degree.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

FilthyImp posted:

He could be fun as super amerikajin sensei.

Dress him up in a knockoff captain america uniform and call him Gaijin Ranger or something like that. Maybe a cowboy hat if they're feeling up to it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

As Nero Danced posted:

Dress him up in a knockoff captain america uniform and call him Gaijin Ranger or something like that. Maybe a cowboy hat if they're feeling up to it.

Cowboy hat and his weapon is shaped like a cheeseburger.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know, how would you know he's American. I think he also needs a four wheeler zord and a western country guitar

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Burkion posted:

(and Lost Galaxy) was better received in Japan

After having watched Gingaman, this doesn't surprise me.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Cowboy hat and his weapon is shaped like a cheeseburger.

Tommy is a native America.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Just do a Battle Fever J reboot and cast Tommy as Mr. America. Problem solved.

Battle Fever J needs a proper translation. It’s so dumb and fun.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Box of Bunnies posted:

So they went ahead and made all these awful props instead of thinking it through some more and maybe arriving to the idea of the Iron Man facecam stuff decades early, good work.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

As Nero Danced posted:

MARVELLOUS SENTAI GAIJINGER

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Jasondavid Sentai Frankenger

The sixth ranger winds up being JDF's daughter now that he's promoting her again.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

FilthyImp posted:

That would just be the inferior version of MARVELOUS SENTAI CAPTAINGER

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LividLiquid posted:

Tommy hanging out with Dawn Summers, Ritchie Valens, and Jack Bauer.

Also Chavez E. Chavez.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

FilthyImp posted:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Darth TNT posted:

Tommy is a native America.

This was always my favorite addendum to the whole "they made the black guy the black ranger, and the asian girl the yellow ranger" thing. At least with those two, they were good actors and those were just the roles they got matched up to, and it's not like they would say "hey, you're good for the role, but we can't hire you because of your skin color." But as soon as they made Tommy the red ranger, all the sudden he's an American Indian.

Regardless, as an American Indian kid I thought it was awesome, even if I now look back on it and say that that's some bullshit how it only mattered in so far as he ended up on a vision quest to control the rockem sockem zord.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

This was always my favorite addendum to the whole "they made the black guy the black ranger, and the asian girl the yellow ranger" thing. At least with those two, they were good actors and those were just the roles they got matched up to, and it's not like they would say "hey, you're good for the role, but we can't hire you because of your skin color." But as soon as they made Tommy the red ranger, all the sudden he's an American Indian.

Regardless, as an American Indian kid I thought it was awesome, even if I now look back on it and say that that's some bullshit how it only mattered in so far as he ended up on a vision quest to control the rockem sockem zord.

Hey! It also allowed him to have a long lost Native brother who could be a red herring for the Gold Ranger too!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It’s funny how when you look back at the gold ranger episodes, they ain’t so great and people watching them for the first time don’t seem to care who it is, but back in the day it was THE mystery and really the most deceptive storyline they had done yet.

It sort of made sense, though, as the only sixth rangers that had ever existed to that point both turned out to be Tommy. Bu virtue of Tommy being right over here and not two places at once, it was immediately exciting just because it couldn’t be JDF for a third time.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Craptacular! posted:

It’s funny how when you look back at the gold ranger episodes, they ain’t so great and people watching them for the first time don’t seem to care who it is, but back in the day it was THE mystery and really the most deceptive storyline they had done yet.

It sort of made sense, though, as the only sixth rangers that had ever existed to that point both turned out to be Tommy. Bu virtue of Tommy being right over here and not two places at once, it was immediately exciting just because it couldn’t be JDF for a third time.

That's why I was so sure it was gonna be his brother

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The hilarious thing is, if they really wanted to be a piece of poo poo about it, Tommy totally could have been the Gold Ranger.

Have things play out like they did, have him bring back Jason- Jason gets the Red Zeo powers, Tommy gets Gold because gently caress the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Burkion posted:

The hilarious thing is, if they really wanted to be a piece of poo poo about it, Tommy totally could have been the Gold Ranger.

Have things play out like they did, have him bring back Jason- Jason gets the Red Zeo powers, Tommy gets Gold because gently caress the world

Season ends with Tommy losing the gold powers, joining the police academy and becoming a robot.