Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Well, the season finale of Miraculous aired, and that was quite an episode long fight scene. I loved the creative use of Dark Cupid to refresh his forces. Also the kiss at the end. I'm interested to see what they do with Mayura from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Yeah, it was impressive that they had a nearly 20-minute fight scene that never got boring and threw in some surprises as well, which is more than can be said for most movies. Not bad for a goofy French cartoon.

There wasn't much resolution - the good guys aren't really any closer to unmasking Hawk Moth - but at least Marinette finally found the courage to kiss Adrien. And we know who Mayura is, that the peacock miraculous is damaged and seemed to harm Natalie while using it, and (I realised afterwards) that Lucky Charm actually isn't infallible like Marinette and Fu think - the tennis racquet was useless because the B-team were akumatised before it could be used.

Now just have to wait for season 3, which I'm sure will be as quickly and regularly scheduled as season 2 - aw, crap.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 4, 2018

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Apparently they have at least animated episodes 1-3 of season 3.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Miraculous fans are braver than any marines.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

OK, I found the first half of season 3 of TTG to be very unenjoyable and...kind of mean? Everything turns around with the Gilligan's Island episodes and the rest of the season is lovely. I'm kind of wondering if there was some kind of staffing shake up.

Also, I have been repeatedly listening to Star's WooDoo song over and over because it's oddly compelling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWpKcScxV0g

God damnit.

I've been listening to this for two days straight now and I've never even seen the show, just the movie.

I also found this:

https://soundcloud.com/flying-moneyman/starfire-mysterious-side-wo0-d0o-rizzy-remix

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

My favorite song is Monkey Army

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Waffleman_ posted:

My favorite song is Monkey Army

I wish they'd gone the extra mile and gotten all the original voice actors.

Still good.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Payndz posted:

Yeah, it was impressive that they had a nearly 20-minute fight scene that never got boring and threw in some surprises as well, which is more than can be said for most movies. Not bad for a goofy French cartoon.
Yeah Hawkmoth's plan was pretty drat ingenius in his use of previous akuma victim's powers. He came scarily close to winning, if it weren't for that reflective lid on the magic box Ladybug summoned up it may well have worked. It still felt a bit anti-climatic. I was expecting more resolution with the whole Emilie situation. Though this makes sense as to why Natalie might be the main villain in S3. I think Gabriel's going to give up after this and she's going to freak and try and do everything herself, either because she's so in love with Gabriel she wants to see him happy or because she refuses to accept she's doing all this horrific poo poo and sunk cost fallacy for nothing + crazy broken miraculous make her go nuts. I could also see Gabriel confessing to Adrien that he's Hawkmoth and telling him why he did it all and Adrien doing a heel turn to try and save his mom as a result. Bonus points if Gabriel's forced to help Mayura because of his son's feather allergy and the threat she poses to him because of it lol

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I think there's going to be a big change in the power dynamic between Gabriel/Hawk Moth and Natalie/Mayura in season 3. Even before S2 started, people from Zag were doing cons and media shows saying things like (paraphrasing) "there'll be a new villain who becomes Hawk Moth's boss/makes Hawk Moth look like a baby", and so far there's been nothing to suggest that. Except... when Gabriel talks to Natalie afterwards, he's on his knees before her, looking up and taking her hand. Could be argued that he's just being a gentleman and helping her recover - but it's a very submissive position, and entirely uncharacteristic for him.

It would be a hilarious long con if Adrien's feather allergy actually became a plot point, but the show has set things up well in advance before; Mr Damocles's owl fixation and all the pictures in his office were there from the start.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Finally finished up the second half of Hilda. It's good! I was kind of lukewarm on it at first but the charm of it's cast really grows on you over time. Plus it picks up in the second half once it's get's a little continuity going. I definitely recommend it.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I dug up The Grinch Grinches The Cat in the Hat and it was like a good holiday special taking place after a good movie. unexpectedly kinda dark that his mom's dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVqvSXMwZMk

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 7, 2018

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Did not expect a TTG episode about quantum mechanics.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

galenanorth posted:

I dug up The Grinch Grinches The Cat in the Hat and it was like a good holiday special taking place after a good movie. unexpectedly kinda dark that his mom's dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVqvSXMwZMk

nice post/av combo

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTKbXWGjSe0

Oh man

This looks neat

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh yeah, I'm all for that. And hurrah for Maurice LaMarche as Vincent Price. :allears:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Flimflam.

What kind of editorial edict led to him?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

Flimflam.

What kind of editorial edict led to him?

That Flimflam looks borderline rehabilitated to something not terrible. It's surprising. Also seems to be a lot of focus on Daphne in the trailer (after Shaggy and Scooby)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Xelkelvos posted:

That Flimflam looks borderline rehabilitated to something not terrible. It's surprising. Also seems to be a lot of focus on Daphne in the trailer (after Shaggy and Scooby)

Makes sense since Daphne was a main character in the original 13 Ghosts series.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Man, that looks great. Shaggy should be wearing a red shirt though. :colbert:

Also, if Flimflam is an adult now, then how many years is supposed to have past in universe since the original 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

If they’re using Flimflam again, there’s no reason they can’t rehabilitate Scrappy in the same way.

The character saved the franchise. It’s time people got over the over the top hatred, and honestly, something is missing from this without him.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never exactly got the hate for Scrappy Doo, but he was...superfluous? His introduction corresponded with the wild reworking of the entire format that never made much sense. Shaggy's never worn a red shirt since. There was also Shaggy's girlfriend who is mostly forgotten to time.

The movies have been really good at being goofy as hell, fleshing out unexpected depth, and even doing genuine mystery stories. They got good people working on them, so I have high expectations for what they can do.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Man, that looks great. Shaggy should be wearing a red shirt though. :colbert:

Also, if Flimflam is an adult now, then how many years is supposed to have past in universe since the original 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo?

I would assume this is a different timeline as they appear to have their Whats New Scooby Doo looks and further-

Its Scooby Doo, please do not apply linear time to the preceedings.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I don't know who the target audience for a conclusion movie to 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo is

but it's me

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Makes sense since Daphne was a main character in the original 13 Ghosts series.

She was? I must've forgotten

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Sockser posted:

I don't know who the target audience for a conclusion movie to 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo is

but it's me

I saw it in reruns on Cartoon Network twenty years after it first aired, and because they were running a marathon of all the episodes after the reruns first started airing again, I kept thinking I must've missed the end. It confused me for a while until I looked up information to find out that it ended before tracking down all the ghosts.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

She was? I must've forgotten

She looked really un-Daphne in it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

I never exactly got the hate for Scrappy Doo, but he was...superfluous? His introduction corresponded with the wild reworking of the entire format that never made much sense. Shaggy's never worn a red shirt since. There was also Shaggy's girlfriend who is mostly forgotten to time.

The movies have been really good at being goofy as hell, fleshing out unexpected depth, and even doing genuine mystery stories. They got good people working on them, so I have high expectations for what they can do.

The character came about for a very specific context; ratings were down and he was created to bring them up again. It worked. Ironically Scrappy saved the franchise.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I feel like FlimFlam can be rehabilitated more easily because he isn't as big as Scrappy, he's mostly just forgotten. I bet if that live action Scooby Doo movie didn't make Scrappy the villain, he would've been mostly forgotten by now and shown up in this movie.

I haven't seen one of these Scooby Doo movies in forever, but it's like 4/5 times a new one pops out, the trailer is a slam dunk and great concept.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Character rediscovery of 2020:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sorry 2020 is the return of the return of the revenge of the Hex Girls

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Barudak posted:

Yes please.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Ghoul School reboot you cowards

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

Ghoul School reboot you cowards

OK KO already did it.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Well OK K.O. just did a Ghoul School class reunion, with no mention of Scoob or Shaggy, complete with 3 out of the 5 original voice actors.

Complete with Enid redone in the style of the original movie.

Edit: Goddamn it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Between this, the Captain Planet episode, and Crossover Nexus, Ian has too much power.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Waffleman_ posted:

Between this, the Captain Planet episode, and Crossover Nexus, Ian has too much power.

don't forget the RPG World episode

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
When are they going to bring back Red Herring? :colbert:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Waffleman_ posted:

Don't forget that the hero school in OK KO has canonically beaten Luna Nova in sportsball. Ian wields all the power and no one can, or wants to, stop him.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Cartoon Network is now on a mission to give closure to all it's series (except Steven Universe.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's something really fun about the Scooby Doo franchise and how it's basically the longest running cartoon franchise on TV. Even if you take out the gaps where technically new episodes were not put out, you get at least 30 discontinuous years wherein new episodes were being put out. It's the only real survivor of the days of disposable animation even if they tried to totally rejigger the whole thing in the late 70s-80s and left the series fallow for 7 years of reruns after getting the formula spot-on with A Pup Named Scooby-Doo.

And then Mystery Inc became this magnum opus on the series as a whole and even the most ridiculous elements are being unearthed.

Barudak posted:

I feel like I have a real soft spot for songs made offhandedly just to promote something else, because I kinda dig most of this playlist of Hex Girl songs.