Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

And the Dastardly cheevo wasn't specific to a certain lady NPC as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arist posted:

Yeah, I got recommended that exact video, no sympathy for this rear end in a top hat.

yeah, same and i don't even follow that rear end in a top hat. gently caress him and his stupid bullshit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Karloff posted:

That said an old west cowboy game where you play as a doctor sounds boring as poo poo. Where McIntosh loses me, as he always does, are his appeals to not include violence in narratives. Violence is a part off our world; and makes for dramatic, thrilling, and conflict driven stories. If he's waiting for a day when people are no longer interested in telling stories about violence, then he's going to be waiting for a long time.

I can't find where, but McIntosh has previously argued that it isn't so much that he doesn't want violence included in narratives, but that he wants games to treat violence as avoidable and always tragic. Violence can exist, because it's a part of our world and dramatic, but it shouldn't be your primary (or only) way of interacting with a game world.

The thing is, like... his suggestions for how to make that happen aren't realistic and show absolutely no understanding of what it means to make an engaging video game. He says that it would be "simple" to make Red Dead Redemption 2 a game about a frontier doctor who goes around healing people, but what does that actually look like? Is it a puzzle game now? Is it a game about diagnostic investigation, like a 19th-century medical version of the non-shooty parts of LA Noire? Should the player never encounter dangerous threats in their travels? If they do, should their main way of interacting be running away? After all, you can talk all you want about deescalation, but an unarmed doctor isn't deescalating a robbery.

I mean I'm down with the idea of a game about being a traveling doctor in the Old West for sure, but I want some idea of what I'm gonna be doing and whether it'll make for engaging gameplay, y'know?

I think it's probably true that game design in general has strongly favored combat over most other types of gameplay to the detriment of the variety of games that get made, but I don't think that the answer is the sort of drastic about-face that McIntosh would like to see, nor do I think each new combat-focused game that gets released is some sort of disaster like he sometimes acts. Like I think a game similar to Uncharted could exist that excises most (or all) of the combat and instead increases the complexity and challenge of the traversal mechanics and tomb-raiding puzzles and stuff, that'd probably be pretty cool. But the fact that Uncharted also features shooting dudes isn't some moral failing of the game industry.

Mark Brown's recent video about Spider-Man's swinging mechanics is a much better take, IMO. His main topic there is that Spider-Man PS4 has complex and fun combat mechanics, but keeps the web-swinging really simple and almost automatic. Why is that? Why can't traversal be as challenging and dynamic as combat, especially in a game about a superhero like Spider-Man? He also discusses the perception that traveling the game world is something that should be "gotten out of the way" to get to the "good stuff," which is almost always combat, but it doesn't have to be that way. It's an interesting topic, I think.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 7, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Harrow posted:

I can't find where, but McIntosh has previously argued that it isn't so much that he doesn't want violence included in narratives, but that he wants games to treat violence as avoidable and always tragic. Violence can exist, because it's a part of our world and dramatic, but it shouldn't be your primary (or only) way of interacting with a game world.

The thing is, like... his suggestions for how to make that happen aren't realistic and show absolutely no understanding of what it means to make an engaging video game. He says that it would be "simple" to make Red Dead Redemption 2 a game about a frontier doctor who goes around healing people, but what does that actually look like? Is it a puzzle game now? Is it a game about diagnostic investigation, like a 19th-century medical version of the non-shooty parts of LA Noire? Should the player never encounter dangerous threats in their travels? If they do, should their main way of interacting be running away? After all, you can talk all you want about deescalation, but an unarmed doctor isn't deescalating a robbery.

I mean I'm down with the idea of a game about being a traveling doctor in the Old West for sure, but I want some idea of what I'm gonna be doing and whether it'll make for engaging gameplay, y'know?

I think it's probably true that game design in general has strongly favored combat over most other types of gameplay to the detriment of the variety of games that get made, but I don't think that the answer is the sort of drastic about-face that McIntosh would like to see, nor do I think each new combat-focused game that gets released is some sort of disaster like he sometimes acts. Like I think a game similar to Uncharted could exist that excises most (or all) of the combat and instead increases the complexity and challenge of the traversal mechanics and tomb-raiding puzzles and stuff, that'd probably be pretty cool. But the fact that Uncharted also features shooting dudes isn't some moral failing of the game industry.

Mark Brown's recent video about Spider-Man's swinging mechanics is a much better take, IMO. His main topic there is that Spider-Man PS4 has complex and fun combat mechanics, but keeps the web-swinging really simple and almost automatic. Why is that? Why can't traversal be as challenging and dynamic as combat, especially in a game about a superhero like Spider-Man? He also discusses the perception that traveling the game world is something that should be "gotten out of the way" to get to the "good stuff," which is almost always combat, but it doesn't have to be that way. It's an interesting topic, I think.

i liked the swinging but mark has a point. on McIntosh, he is never gonna be happy with violence in game unless every game has his exact ideals and even then it won't be good enough because he would find some other element to get offended/angry about. i remember seeing other progressive critics on twitter openly laughing at his bullshit a bunch of times because he is weird joke. as i said, i think if he wasn't such a prudish morality policeman, he would probably like red dead 2 and his themes. i mean this dude got offended by this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXbFP2V_zSA i feel like he saw how bad actual toxic masculinity is and decided gently caress that and went left but he went to the farthest extreme the other way and basicaly thinks everything is toxic maculinty. its kinda sad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/ShirrakoGaming/status/1060191013803905025

"Please Jim help me get my channel back so I can post more videos of suffragettes getting punched and fed to alligators."

the vice article is kinda bad, but this guy is dumpshit who tried to make money of chud morons and got burned and is crying about it, gently caress him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the vice article is kinda bad, but this guy is dumpshit who tried to make money of chud morons and got burned and is crying about it, gently caress him.

Fear not, an expert in doing awful things to women in on the case for duder

https://www.twitter.com/Boogie2988/status/1060239334622801921

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
would boogie defend me if i uploaded a video of my video game character drowning an npc representing boogie in a toilet and it got banned from gamertube

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
As long as you don't say anything bad about video games in the video.

I also love that guy is just @'ing a bunch of youtubers in an attempt to whip up some controversy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leal posted:

As long as you don't say anything bad about video games in the video.

I also love that guy is just @'ing a bunch of youtubers in an attempt to whip up some controversy.

It seems to be working. I’ve seen at least one YouTuber I used to respect come out an put on the chud hat over “LET THE MAN PUBLICLY ACT OUT HIS VIOLENT FANTASIES ABOUT KILLING FEMINISTS, HE’S NOT HURTING ANYONE, YOUTUBE IS DYING TO SJWS, FREEZE PEACH!”

It’s immensely dumb and sad :rolleyes:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I hope Jim makes a video mocking him.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Right now, I think the incident is small enough that people can ignore it and that's perfectly fine. Don't give this guy attention.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i liked the swinging but mark has a point. on McIntosh, he is never gonna be happy with violence in game unless every game has his exact ideals and even then it won't be good enough because he would find some other element to get offended/angry about. i remember seeing other progressive critics on twitter openly laughing at his bullshit a bunch of times because he is weird joke. as i said, i think if he wasn't such a prudish morality policeman, he would probably like red dead 2 and his themes. i mean this dude got offended by this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXbFP2V_zSA i feel like he saw how bad actual toxic masculinity is and decided gently caress that and went left but he went to the farthest extreme the other way and basicaly thinks everything is toxic maculinty. its kinda sad.

Since I don't know McIntosh aside from his mentions here, I will assume he knows all those Ravagers are the ones who murdered their former crewmates by throwing them out into space?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Now, normally I really enjoy Spacedock for introducing me to a lot of good Science Fiction properties, but I have to ask: Is this an out of season April Fool's joke?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnWAauhdmnw

Six loving years later...

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Harrow posted:

With most games the devil is in the details. Papers Please sounds like a McIntosh game pitch on the surface (minus the part where he probably wouldn't abide you being a part of the problem to prove a point) but the execution makes it work. I knew a guy who used to go on endlessly about wanting to make a video game about "teaching why war is bad and brings suffering and misery" and when asked how this would sell his answer was "we'd make it fun", like that was the secret to make this work and didn't have to justify it with an actual mechanic. If you're going to be smug and write game pitches like that, don't expect anyone to believe you.

Action video games are just the easiest to summarize on a cue card and have people understand the mechanics of "fun" that will be involved.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

That RDR2 feminist vid guy got his channel reinstated after Keemstar took up his cause soooo that's that I guess.

TBH I can't really say much as 80% of my time in sandbox games has been spent finding creative and different ways to annoy, torture and murder NPC's. These games turn me into an absolute sadist. Although the only one that didn't (most of the time) was RDR1. It didn't feel quite so right there.

Still got my Dastardly cheevo though

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

stillvisions posted:

With most games the devil is in the details. Papers Please sounds like a McIntosh game pitch on the surface (minus the part where he probably wouldn't abide you being a part of the problem to prove a point) but the execution makes it work. I knew a guy who used to go on endlessly about wanting to make a video game about "teaching why war is bad and brings suffering and misery" and when asked how this would sell his answer was "we'd make it fun", like that was the secret to make this work and didn't have to justify it with an actual mechanic. If you're going to be smug and write game pitches like that, don't expect anyone to believe you.

It's a shame that the Gods Will Be Watching game ended up sucking in execution, because a concept like that seems like it could work. You can do awful poo poo to beat the challenges easily and risk-free, but if you're willing to put in work and roll the dice you can end up with a moral victory.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

That RDR2 feminist vid guy got his channel reinstated after Keemstar took up his cause soooo that's that I guess.

TBH I can't really say much as 80% of my time in sandbox games has been spent finding creative and different ways to annoy, torture and murder NPC's. These games turn me into an absolute sadist. Although the only one that didn't (most of the time) was RDR1. It didn't feel quite so right there.

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1060338019339689984

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1060338741254864897

don't worry. pop-culture inquisitor detective jon is on the case.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kim Justice posted:

I had Saints Row 2 for like 3 years, and I only got 2% into the game. I literally spent most of my time with cheat codes killing cops, throwing people off buildings and crashing planes into various things. gently caress do I care about the story. These games are an action movie sim.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
But you also do all those things in the main story missions?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

I had Saints Row 2 for like 3 years, and I only got 2% into the game. I literally spent most of my time with cheat codes killing cops, throwing people off buildings and crashing planes into various things. gently caress do I care about the story. These games are an action movie sim.

For what it's worth, Saints Row 3's story missions are worth playing through purely because of how funny they are.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leal posted:

But you also do all those things in the main story missions?

well thats part of the problem.

CelticPredator posted:

your a naughty and toxic masculine person and probaly cheered at the DOOM 2016 announcement.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

For what it's worth, Saints Row 3's story missions are worth playing through purely because of how funny they are.

people give 3 alot of poo poo, but i kinda like the story missions better then 4.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well thats part of the problem.

your a naughty and toxic masculine person and probaly cheered at the DOOM 2016 announcement.

I loving love Doom2016 and currently just replaying it and finishing where I left off 2 years ago. I love murdering demons.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I loving love Doom2016 and currently just replaying it and finishing where I left off 2 years ago. I love murdering demons.

Same but Wolfenstein and Nazis.

This is a controversial thing to say in TYOOL 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

people give 3 alot of poo poo, but i kinda like the story missions better then 4.

4 kind of went overboard on the wacky and didn't grab me as well as 3 did. SR3 kind of hit the perfect ratio of jokey parody game to serious GTA clone that Volition never captured again before or after.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My favorite thing I did when I was a teenager playing that was make my character look like Chev Chelios from Crank, and make my sequel to Crank where Chevy wreaks havok on the entire city while taking out maybe hundreds of people. I think I recorded it off my TV and edited it, but it's looong gone now.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Kim Justice posted:

I think this is more common with than most people think. Lord knows I spent WAY too much time in Octopath Traveler having Cyrus challenging every day folks to duels because it struck me as funny at the time to see so many people would willingly accept a duel with somebody who can plainly beat their rear end while the game world treats it as a normal, healthy thing to do. The key difference is that people usually don't upload videos of themselves doing it. Even if they did, I doubt most of those uploads would feature people specifically targeting virtual representations of real minorities.

Well, I like to THINK that last bit. Heck it's probably true, but lately...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Leal posted:

Same but Wolfenstein and Nazis.
This is a controversial thing to say in TYOOL 2018

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/552298299416645633

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/552299841356058625?lang=en

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/610299196621479936

http://archive.is/YHMH0

well, too bad, your monsters who are immature and toxic masculine monsters.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
That guy is a giant wanker

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

good. now excuse me while I

RIP AND TEEEAARRRRRR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j05hzwQf8pA

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

4 kind of went overboard on the wacky and didn't grab me as well as 3 did. SR3 kind of hit the perfect ratio of jokey parody game to serious GTA clone that Volition never captured again before or after.

idk. the whole "actualy your in the matrix and nothing is "real" " kinda hurts my liking of the game.

Kim Justice posted:

depends on the game. one of the things i do in the far cry games i do is just wander around the forests and poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

good. now excuse me while I

RIP AND TEEEAARRRRRR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j05hzwQf8pA

i can't wait for doom eternal.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I forget, is this Jo Mac the "you can't beat racism with a machine gun" guy?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Baka-nin posted:

yeah. i posted it but its archived because people pointed out what stupid shithead he was, so he memory holed it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Baka-nin posted:

Sure is!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Baka-nin posted:

He's done a lot of really good videos on concepts like "Born Sexy Yesterday" and how groady The Big Bang Theory is under the hood w/r/t nerddom and women, but on Twitter he's a giant gaping asshat.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Ah, Jonathan McIntosh. He never gets old. I dunno what the American equivalent of the UK term "gammon" is but he's that only without the right-wing views (well, sort of anyway)

As far as recording yourself massacring people in sandbox games....well, Limmy's done it. And it's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6QrqAyjabQ

Of course Limmy is a professional comedian so you'd kinda expect that. There is a bit more flair to this than those Shrrako things.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
https://twitter.com/KATURATION/status/1059866562042171395

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ehh. i liked that, your see his genuine intelligence reveal itself more and more through the game especially when its clear dutch is going more and more nuts. alot of its suppressed because he is in a cult basicaly and a higher up member no less.

I might have to check out RDR2 at some point. I wasn't too hyped for it (I remember marking the release date on my calendar when, but I sort of lost interest the closer it got to release, and with all the issues with Rockstar's working conditions), but you make it sound pretty interesting.

Harrow posted:

That's sort of my point as well: combat/violence/ in games doesn't always need to be a staple (in fact, it can get exhausting sometimes), and one of things l like about RPGs like Fallout or Deus Ex is that you have other solutions to quest apart from fighting. However, with some games, I think the combat is key to how the game's played. Take Dishonored; you can go through that entire game without killing anyone, but if you get caught by enemies, you have options to attack or escape them. It's also why I'm less interested in games like Amnesia or Outlast as opposed to something like Resident Evil (none of which I've really played all that much); in something like RE, you have weapons and supplies (albeit limited ones) that let you engage monsters, rather than just ducking into a corner and waiting for them to go away.

I think the thing is that he seems like he's not aware that there are games that are like or come close to what he describes.

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/585977681109356544

Still makes me mad. :argh:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

Ah, Jonathan McIntosh. He never gets old. I dunno what the American equivalent of the UK term "gammon" is but he's that only without the right-wing views (well, sort of anyway)

As far as recording yourself massacring people in sandbox games....well, Limmy's done it. And it's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6QrqAyjabQ

Of course Limmy is a professional comedian so you'd kinda expect that. There is a bit more flair to this than those Shrrako things.

sly shooter and random madness have fun channels like that. mostly if you a sad gently caress like me who wants to see how a gory a game can be.

also whats a gammon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sly shooter and random madness have fun channels like that. mostly if you a sad gently caress like me who wants to see how a gory a game can be.

also whats a gammon?

'Gammon' refers to a large, opinionated middle-aged white (well, purple) man with a disconcerting similarity in appearance to a cooked ham.