Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

mcmagic posted:

If they trade for one of the Indians' starters, who is going to sit?

Probably no one for awhile until someone hits the DL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Accident Underwater posted:

Probably no one for awhile until someone hits the DL.

So 6 man rotation? I don't like bringing back CC because if he's here he's going to 100% get a spot in the rotation and I don't think he should. They can find 5 better starters.

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah I’m shocked a Yankees fan would love to sign Bryce Harper to play a position he has literally never played. Let me guess: also sign Machado at the same time and then trade Miguel Andujar (who is definitely winning Rookie of the Year) for Corey Kluber straight up.

Harper's agent is the one who brought up him possibly playing 1B. I also don't want the Yankees to sign Machado or trade Andujar.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 7, 2018

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://sports.yahoo.com/meet-next-star-japanese-pitcher-will-jumping-mlb-012010967.html

Yusei Kikuchi will be the next NPB pitcher to make the jump to MLB. He wasn't quite as dominant in Japan as Darvish or Tanaka and people are saying he's more of a mid-rotation guy than an ace. Still, sounds like lots of teams are interested.

Scouting report from some dodgers blog: http://dodgersdigest.com/2018/11/06/scouting-report-yusei-kikuchi/

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/PinwheelsIvyPod/status/1060233242119307264

Uh... okay I guess? Felt like Hickey did a fine job all things considered.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I think it says more about how baseball front offices work these days. Zaidi has to build an entire administration of his own in SF to be able to keep up. It’s going to take time to do that + build up the farm system. Unless he manages to poach a bunch of guys from the Friedman administration, it’s not gonna matter much to the Dodgers

Yeah. I mean, it might be problematic having a rival GM who has a sense of your trade/FA targets, but the Dodgers are obviously much better situated than the Giants for now in terms of prospects and overall "win now" allure to facilitate signings and trades. He's also going to be heavily constrained by that glut of hilariously bad contracts.

One funny outcome out of all this is that there's now a nonzero chance of Madison Bumgarner getting traded to the Dodgers. Joe Panik also lines up as an intriguing platoon partner for Taylor/Enrique. Will be something to watch.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/PinwheelsIvyPod/status/1060233242119307264

Uh... okay I guess? Felt like Hickey did a fine job all things considered.

Yea, this seems odd. Chatwood is really the only failure at pitcher, and you can't blame that on Hickey. Darvish getting injured isn't on Hickey either. The Cubs had a really good year overall, even if some of the guys had some rough spots.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

"The Giants suck. Now here's a list of Giants players we should trade for"

lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Vernacular posted:

Yeah. I mean, it might be problematic having a rival GM who has a sense of your trade/FA targets, but the Dodgers are obviously much better situated than the Giants for now in terms of prospects and overall "win now" allure to facilitate signings and trades. He's also going to be heavily constrained by that glut of hilariously bad contracts.

One funny outcome out of all this is that there's now a nonzero chance of Madison Bumgarner getting traded to the Dodgers. Joe Panik also lines up as an intriguing platoon partner for Taylor/Enrique. Will be something to watch.
Farhan also brings to SF an intimate knowledge of the Dodgers farm system and how the LA FO views/values specific players within that system. This is reason enough not to trade with him.

Angry Grimace posted:

Miguel Andujar (who is definitely winning Rookie of the Year)
That's a funny way of spelling Shohei Ohtani

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

The Pussy Boss posted:

"The Giants suck. Now here's a list of Giants players we should trade for"

lol

Nice post.

bawfuls posted:

Farhan also brings to SF an intimate knowledge of the Dodgers farm system and how the LA FO views/values specific players within that system. This is reason enough not to trade with him.

Right, but you could have said the same thing about AA when he went to the Braves, and yet the two teams were able to work out a pretty solid symbiotic deal.

I wouldn't bet on a trade happening but if there are a few prospects who Zaidi valued and Friedman didn't, something might work out.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wouldn't CC be in the top 5 or 10 "5th starters" in the league? He absolutely helps a team more than he blocks someone elses opportunity. Thats a spicy take to not want CC back.

Supposedly the Nationals offered Harper 300/10 years with no opt outs. I'll be surprised if he get a much higher offer.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zapplez posted:

Supposedly the Nationals offered Harper 300/10 years with no opt outs. I'll be surprised if he get a much higher offer.

He definitely wants opt outs though. So far he's been unable to repeat his 2015 campaign but if he puts up another 10 WAR season in a much weaker FA year he could potentially opt out for way more money.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Rick Ankiel has elbow surgery, still wants to try to come back as a lefty reliever.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

zapplez posted:

Wouldn't CC be in the top 5 or 10 "5th starters" in the league? He absolutely helps a team more than he blocks someone elses opportunity. Thats a spicy take to not want CC back.

This post on the High King of the Fifth Starters has some statistical context you could use to compare to CC

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

bawfuls posted:

I guess the Dodgers just don’t care about their rival getting all that institutional knowledge, because it sounds like they didn’t try very hard to keep him.

Its a promotion. You generally don’t see teams obstruct this sort of move if it’s a step up from where they are in your org.

The thinking essentially goes that if you thought he was promotion material you’d have given him one. Some other team thought he was. Done. You wouldn’t want to trade with him, but LA/SF very rarely ever trade anyway.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
1/$8 for CC is a good get. That's a rounding error for the Yanks and doesn't take them out of the running for anything else.

Edit: Before this signing the Yanks had three starters if you include Gray. You can't count on getting everyone you need in this FA market, so securing a sure thing early makes a ton of sense.

Well Played Mauer fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 8, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I am 1000% on board with CC on a one year deal as rotation depth and the idea of "we can find exactly five better SPs and that's all we'll need" feels so quaint that it doesn't feel worth engaging with.

Like even if the idea is that CC is guaranteed one of 5 spots at all times so it pushes a better option back if we find ourselves with 6 healthy options isn't something that seems like you build free agent signings around.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Yeah, I don’t see how you don’t like the CC deal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I just don't believe that CC won't be in the rotation if he's on the roster and I think they can do better if they sign Happ and Corbin and trade for another pitcher. Sheffield and the returning Monty should've been the extra starters, not a 40 year old guy the team is emotionally attached to.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

CC had a 120 ERA+ in 153 innings last season, it’s some galaxy brain logic to think that he won’t produce or get enough innings

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Sydin posted:

He definitely wants opt outs though. So far he's been unable to repeat his 2015 campaign but if he puts up another 10 WAR season in a much weaker FA year he could potentially opt out for way more money.

I suspect the contract Harper actually signs will have an opt out after 2 or maybe 3 years. He's 26. He's gonna want to hit free agency again before he's old.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
but you see when the Yankees get all of the last 5 Cy Young winners they won't have room for him so it's a bad deal

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

mcmagic posted:

I just don't believe that CC won't be in the rotation if he's on the roster and I think they can do better if they sign Happ and Corbin and trade for another pitcher. Sheffield and the returning Monty should've been the extra starters, not a 40 year old guy the team is emotionally attached to.

That's a lot of if's, man.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

CC had a 120 ERA+ in 153 innings last season, it’s some galaxy brain logic to think that he won’t produce or get enough innings

No but we can definitely write "PITCHER TO BE TRADED FOR" into the rotation and that's rock solid planning.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/1060355981475905537

This is a very Jerry Dipoto trade.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Getting to opening day with too much starting pitching is a fake problem no one has imo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

New Concept Hole posted:

Getting to opening day with too much starting pitching is a fake problem no one has imo

It is if you don't make moves you should make because of a roster logjam or if young players get blocked who shouldn't be blocked.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

The Yankees barely even have two starters to rub together right now, what sort of weird gimmick is this?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

JoeCL posted:

The Yankees barely even have two starters to rub together right now, what sort of weird gimmick is this?

Hello this is the result of losing the Yankees-only thread.

I'm sorry.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sounds like it's a done deal:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1060365570598555649

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Doesn't exactly fit with the "complete rebuild" they're meant to be going after. Maybe Mallex goes somewhere else for prospects?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

Doesn't exactly fit with the "complete rebuild" they're meant to be going after. Maybe Mallex goes somewhere else for prospects?

fwiw Dipoto walked that back a bit. Said they might trade some vets but it's not a fire sale. https://www.mlb.com/mariners/news/jerry-dipoto-mariners-wont-do-teardown/c-300348502

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Will Mallex be a Mariner for more than 30 minutes this time? Will he be traded for a player who literally never appears in a game for the Mariners again?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sydin posted:

There is no way any team is giving him player opt outs less than like 4 or 5 years in. It would be the dumbest move ever.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Smith was very good last year and is controlled for a while. That's pretty good!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That MLB vs. Japan All-Star series starts early tomorrow morning (US time); MLB Network will air live and on replay in the evenings. Pretty fun roster:

quote:

PITCHERS
• Matt Andriese, D-backs
• Scott Barlow, Royals
• John Brebbia, Cardinals
• Junior Guerra, Brewers
• Brian Johnson, Red Sox
• Kenta Maeda, Dodgers
• Chris Martin, Rangers
• Collin McHugh, Astros
• Daniel Norris, Tigers
• Vidal Nuno, Rays
• Dan Otero, Indians
• Yusmeiro Petit, A's
• Erasmo Ramirez, Mariners
• Hector Velazquez, Red Sox
• Kirby Yates, Padres

CATCHERS
• Robinson Chirinos, Rangers
• Yadier Molina, Cardinals
• J.T. Realmuto, Marlins

INFIELDERS
• Whit Merrifield, Royals
• Amed Rosario, Mets
• Carlos Santana Phillies
• Eugenio Suarez, Reds
• Chris Taylor, Dodgers

OUTFIELDERS
• Ronald Acuna Jr., Braves
• Mitch Haniger, Mariners
• Enrique Hernandez, Dodgers
• Rhys Hoskins, Phillies
• Kevin Pillar, Blue Jays
• Juan Soto, Nationals

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I want to watch so bad but all the games are at 3:00 AM

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, this seems odd. Chatwood is really the only failure at pitcher, and you can't blame that on Hickey. Darvish getting injured isn't on Hickey either. The Cubs had a really good year overall, even if some of the guys had some rough spots.

There's obviously something going on between Theo and Joe. Not sure if these are passive aggressive moves aimed at Joe or they genuinely found stuff they didn't like in the coaches. If Theo really has an issue with Joe, I'd rather he just fire him now instead of going through this weird dance next season.

As for Hickey, the stats showed some considerable declines. They dropped from 7th to 22nd in xFIP. From 8th to 21st in K/9. And 21st to 28th in BB/9 (if I remember correctly, they were real upset with walks when they fired Bosio). Young pitchers like Edwards, Chatwood, and Quintana saw declines in their performance. Is there really anything in the pitching department that can be looked at as having improved last season?

Not saying they should have fired him. I really don't know. He could just be the scapegoat for Theo having a terrible offseason last year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It definitely feels like the FO is having a vote of no confidence on Joe, given Hickey and Davis being hired was painted as Joe finally being allowed to go out and get "his guys" and ditch the coaching staff he initially inherited.

My guess as to why Joe himself isn't getting fired is that he's still owed a cool $5M.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The Braves poached Mike Fast from the Astros to be a special assistant to Anthopoulos, providing analytic expertise. The idea of the Braves even just catching up to analytic methods is pretty wild to me, much less leading the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Kang is returning on a one year deal lol

If he hits 25 home runs he is innocent