Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

welcome to systems engineering

im very happy i need to generalise over only dozen-ish implementations of the same product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Gazpacho posted:

Everyone get ready for a wild ride because california voters just authorized the state to adopt year round DST, based on the argument that DST switching causes heart attacks strokes and incontinence

Nah. Only if Congress first passes a bill authorizing California to do that, and :lol: if you think Congress is going to do anything for the next 2 years min.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...-htmlstory.html

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
adjusting the clocks is stupid and only causes problems. there's zero reason to do it in the year of our lord 2018.

however lol at all the stuff that will be broken because of it.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Gazpacho posted:

Everyone get ready for a wild ride because california voters just authorized the state to adopt year round DST, based on the argument that DST switching causes heart attacks strokes and incontinence

lmao ezpz. as a backend dev I just store everything as UTC and make the frontend dopes worry about time zone conversions

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Finster Dexter posted:

lmao ezpz. as a backend dev I just store everything as UTC and make the frontend dopes worry about time zone conversions

idk if you're joking but this doesn't work with e.g. dst

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i wonder how much overhead is incurred by javascript to do all the "magic" that makes it a poo poo language for brain dead morons to easily write trash

Honestly I think it still requires webdevs some significant effort to generate such wonderful output.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

idk if you're joking but this doesn't work with e.g. dst

As long as the front end is always sending you data in UTC or with time zone information attached you're fine, yeah?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Chalks posted:

As long as the front end is always sending you data in UTC or with time zone information attached you're fine, yeah?

yeah, utc doesn't have DST. if you send everything in UTC then you can figure out the correct poo poo (by letting a library handle iut for you)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I’m sure there are many fine JavaScript date & time libraries for the front end dev hahahaha

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
not my problem

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

eschaton posted:

I’m sure there are many fine JavaScript date & time libraries for the front end dev hahahaha

moment.js works fine, displaying dates on a webpage is a pretty solved problem in 2018

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Chalks posted:

time zone information? lmfao now you want me to refactor the whole russian codebase to handle incoming time zone information correctly? uhhhhh hmmmmmm

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

You don't always even need the TZ information, but it's better to have it and not need it. I've found that without it on global services reports like "what do people do at 5pm in their local time" become impossible and then you have to shoehorn it in after the fact and that sucks. See post above ^

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Finster Dexter posted:

time zone information? lmfao now you want me to refactor the whole russian codebase to handle incoming time zone information correctly? uhhhhh hmmmmmm

hold on ill plug you into this skype chat where me a 2 developers are arguing about the real tz on database

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

good thing time doesn't actually exist

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

cjs: A lot of shitfuckery this week. I'll sum it up by saying that being tightly coupled to NATS to the degree that services implode because the NATS cluster is gracefully restarted really sucks balls. Although, the CTO offered to work on building a (more) fault tolerant NATS cluster, so that was nice. But now I'm stuck fixing an issue where customer-facing transactional data is irretrievably lost because its service restarted when NATS went down and said data can't be reconstructed from the database, because only the end result of the transactions is ever persisted. Thanks, Russians! Apparently they couldn't figure out why you'd want to ever persist the transactional data anywhere but in memory of the service that processes it.

(Supposedly, they have a fix for this issue in their develop branch... which involves persisting the data to NATS "in a file".) :suicide:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

hold on ill plug you into this skype chat where me a 2 developers are arguing about the real tz on database

It's fine, we're in the UK so we've got 6 months until everyone realises our database server clocks aren't UTC and the panic starts

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

cinci zoo sniper posted:

oh boy let me tell you about having a database, with long timestamps, that moved from italian local time to amazon local time without any of us making sure that the application normalised it (it didn't)

then having to add some logic to the code that checked the db inserted_at time and compared it to the date that we moved to aws

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Chalks posted:

It's fine, we're in the UK so we've got 6 months until everyone realises our database server clocks aren't UTC and the panic starts

ask me about manually editing config in a text file live on prod each time the clocks changed or we'd start trading an hour late

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonadic io posted:

oh boy let me tell you about having a database, with long timestamps, that moved from italian local time to amazon local time without any of us making sure that the application normalised it (it didn't)

then having to add some logic to the code that checked the db inserted_at time and compared it to the date that we moved to aws

oh no. oh no

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chalks posted:

then eu will phase out winter or summer time

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Ask me about comments on Experts Exchange showing up in the wrong order for an hour every time DST ended and what we did to fix this (nothing).

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
ask someone about failing to parse dates of sa posts because the dst info was old and the supposed post time never happened

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Store everything in UTC
Only deal with time zones at the edges of your application (input/output)
Prefer to transmit date/times in epoch milliseconds
Fall back to ISO8601 to transmit date/times as strings, don’t use your own string formatters!
Display time in users preferred locale, but do it all the way in the display part of your application!

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

which one?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

and does it count if you drop the Z and offset, which seems really common but I think is nonconforming?

aka why I’ve yet to be able to use Foundation.ISO8601DateFormatter

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

if there's no offset then it's a local date+time and you're hosed

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I’ve seen multiple apis send timestamps as UTC but without the Z :shrugs:

not a difficult thing to deal with, just odd. why bother stopping just short idgi

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i once had to explain to someone why a time without a date didn't make sense to have a timezone and nor did it matter, and it drew out into a long argument

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i once had to explain to someone why a time without a date didn't make sense to have a timezone and nor did it matter, and it drew out into a long argument

what’s the tldr on explanation here, time looping around without date being unspecified “yesterday”, “today”, or “tomorrow”?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
for one, if you don't have a date you don't know whether dst was in effect or not

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagacity posted:

for one, if you don't have a date you don't know whether dst was in effect or not

right :eng99:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

then eu will phase out winter or summer time

yeah, but I'm in the UK :suicide:

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

kinda depends on how you're sending timezone information, ISO 8601 uses 08:24:46+03:00 so it doesn't actually matter what day it is because you're specifying the exact offset.

poo poo gets interesting when you only want to show dates and you're intentionally sending midnight as the start of a day, but their timezone means that's actually the previous day so what are you actually going to show on the screen?

spherical planets were a mistake.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chalks posted:

yeah, but I'm in the UK :suicide:

that’s the joke yes

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Chalks posted:

You need to know the timezone if you want to calculate time between two values, 1 hour before a time, bucket events into 5 min bins, calculate sales by month etc correctly. Idk maybe your application is fine and you do no operations on the timezones on the backend but it's really hard to get things right from a business logic perspective without timezone information

E: sorry you said with timezone information. In that case you're fine I think

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Chalks posted:

kinda depends on how you're sending timezone information, ISO 8601 uses 08:24:46+03:00 so it doesn't actually matter what day it is because you're specifying the exact offset.

well time offsets are fixed whereas offsets in timezones are not.

dealing with time loving sucks.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

tps: I let the ORM handle time because I don't want that headache

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

we solved the time zone issue by just not storing the time zone anywhere
and by solved i mean made a nightmare to deal with as we have prisons in multiple time zones

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

our logger database uses utc so for 50% of the year you have to remember that the log timestamps are 1 hour out

Someone should probably fix that but ehhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I swear I'm the only person that looks at the logs anyway. all the offshore team do is ask me when there's a problem and I just send a screenshot of the logger in the vain hope that somebody will actually engage their brain