Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Lmao does he really think that Microsoft don’t get to scrutinise Obsidians books as part of the takeover, or that Phil Spencer gives a flying gently caress what he thinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

awesome interactions

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I can't help but think that Avellone publicly tweeting about this is an attempt to get people to report on his complaints, given it hasn't happened yet on the mainstream press? Because Avellone isn't stupid and he can't seriously believe Microsoft will make decisions based on his tweets.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
I got drunk and bought PoE on th PS4. Is a game like this even playable on a console?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I can't help but think that Avellone publicly tweeting about this is an attempt to get people to report on his complaints, given it hasn't happened yet on the mainstream press? Because Avellone isn't stupid and he can't seriously believe Microsoft will make decisions based on his tweets.

Then perhaps it worked.
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/fallout-writer-chris-avellone-xbox-obsidian-news

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Ograbme posted:

I got drunk and bought PoE on th PS4. Is a game like this even playable on a console?

It's certainly playable. Hardly the best way to experience it, but hey, it's still a functional copy of the game with all the features in.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I think a big part of the weak sales was also a) the smaller publisher and b) funding with fig over Kickstarter.

I mean I’m exactly the target demographic, bought the first one, and I didn’t know anything about deadfire until after it came out. That’s obviously anecdotal but I think the marketing was pretty weak, and that’s probably something that would change under microsoft.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Starks posted:

I think a big part of the weak sales was also a) the smaller publisher and b) funding with fig over Kickstarter.

I mean I’m exactly the target demographic, bought the first one, and I didn’t know anything about deadfire until after it came out. That’s obviously anecdotal but I think the marketing was pretty weak, and that’s probably something that would change under microsoft.
Somewhat off-topic but I really wonder what went sour with Paradox and Obsidian.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

At a guess, Tyranny landing about as softly as PoE2 seemed to.

With them and Tides of Numenara, it’s like there was only ever room for one hit IE successor.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Fuligin posted:

I mean... yeah? Both Divinity games were marketed well and polished to hell, I really doubt any newcomers to crpgs were looking at the turn-based bulletpoint and going "yes, finally, the game I've been looking for!"
They're responding to good 3d graphics, streamer-marketed multiplayer, and the big focus of Larian's press, the fleshed out origins
Turn-based vs rtwp pastisans have insane ideas of what the average person looks for in a videogame. "Ooh boy a turn-based game, I'll buy this!" - nobody who looked at Torment Numenera, ever

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Fig will absolutely continue as "a platform", inasmuch as its real goal was to be Kickstarter without having to pay Kickstarter their fee, but people would have to be pretty foolish to invest in crowdfunded games like this again. Honestly, they had to be pretty foolish the first time.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Players got to bully my virtual avatar and in the end, isn’t that what matters?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Turn-based strategy does e.g. translate better to consoles with an increased potential audience as a result. This, though, is prohibited.

I don't know to what extent this can really be a surprise. The flipside of being a deliberately niche-appeal product is that you end up being, uh, niche-appeal; repudiating Fallout New Vegas' FPS genre-shift and consolisation means repudiating a considerable part of its commercial success as well.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I wouldn’t call PoE a repudiation of FONV / Bethsoft design? It’s got more in common with FONV than the latter day BioWare games that spergs are always mad about. Cinematic RPGs weren’t yet dead when PoE was pitched.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1059493011732750336

Phil Spencxer, greenlight Pillars of Eternity II's Fire Emblem sister at XBOx18

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So has anyone actually called out Avellone for being Nazi adjacent yet?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

GrandpaPants posted:

Yes.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

The implicit narrative of PoE's Kickstarter campaign was an appeal to grognardism, the idea that games used to be made like this [good] and now they're made like that [bad] and the OG Black Isle crew are gonna make RPGs great again. That includes PC master race/casual console scum etc. tropes. It's like Max von Sydow saying "this will begin to make things right" early on in Star Wars 7 - dogwhistles for nerds.

Bethesda bought an IP for a couple of turn-based tactical combat games and made an FPS for essentially the opposite reason: we used to make games like that, but we make them like this now 'cause that's what sells. Repudiation's probably a bit strong but it's a fundamental difference in basic product approach.

GrandpaPants posted:

rip 2house2fly

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

At a guess, Tyranny landing about as softly as PoE2 seemed to.

With them and Tides of Numenara, it’s like there was only ever room for one hit IE successor.

Maybe, but I bought all of them, thought they all owned, and even if they weren't financially viable and we never see another one I'm happy to have benefited of the short lived renaissance.

Shame about the sales but so it goes.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

The implicit narrative of PoE's Kickstarter campaign was an appeal to grognardism, the idea that games used to be made like this [good] and now they're made like that [bad] and the OG Black Isle crew are gonna make RPGs great again. That includes PC master race/casual console scum etc. tropes. It's like Max von Sydow saying "this will begin to make things right" early on in Star Wars 7 - dogwhistles for nerds.

Bethesda bought an IP for a couple of turn-based tactical combat games and made an FPS for essentially the opposite reason: we used to make games like that, but we make them like this now 'cause that's what sells. Repudiation's probably a bit strong but it's a fundamental difference in basic product approach.
Huh, you’re definitely describing InXile’s kickstarters but unless there’s some Overton Window poo poo at play I wouldn’t say that describe PoE

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

rope kid tumblr posted:

I also pitched a tactics-oriented Pillars game that was focused almost entirely on factional and interpersonal relationships.
He doesn't say it didn't get greenlit, so it's 100% definitely gonna happen nobody say otherwise please

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

rip 2house2fly

If only Obsidian took a page out of Bethesda’s book and made a fallout style game. Bethesda, the anti-nerd company famous for cool FPS console shooters that are NOT for stinky grogs

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Lt. Danger posted:

rip 2house2fly

You obsessively try to jam this "grogs ruined everything" narrative into every conversation about poe. There are tons of different reasons a game can succeed or fail in the marketplace, and attributing it to game design, when the title in question is not an abject buggy mess, and in the middle of a renaissance for crpgs and tactics games, is a huge jump of the gun when we have no data to back it up. It's not like reviewers were hammering deadfire (or even poe 1) for being some intimidating retro throwback.

E: ^chunnel's right that inxile, especially in its wasteland pitch, leaned much harder into the "we're bringin the good ol days back whoooo" angle and got knocked proportionally for it by pretty much everyone

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 8, 2018

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

frajaq posted:

Stop 👏 making 👏 RTwP 👏 games 👏

Make RTwP games but make them regular third-person like Mass Effect and focus on controlling the hero.

e: actually this would probably work better than I thought; isometric is offputting to a lot of people but people will slobber all over an RPG with dialogue options and party members if they actually get to see them up close

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 8, 2018

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

While obviously they could have been executed better in this game, why even have a story in a fantasy setting if it's not going to have magic and gods and spirits in it. You could have a game set in the real world with a focus on factional and interpersonal relationships

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't think he's a Nazi or even right wing, he did a lot of diversity in games stuff and likes Zoe Quinn, but he definitely went to Codex because they worship him and that's not exactly the best look since Codex is full of insane Euro right wingers. I've got some ancient account I registered there when I was a teen and apparently you need a sufficiently aged account to see their politics board, and if you go there it's just the most batshit stuff possible. No wonder they keep it hidden from the public and new regs.

In any case, onto the topic of poo poo sales, PoE hosed up because it got super boring in the middle, it takes a lot to understand what the gently caress is going on in combat, and Sawyer decided to make everything have super hosed-up fantasy names so the average normie couldn't get into it, hence why it sold decently initially but sold barely anything for the DLC. Don't know what sank PoE 2 but it certainly didn't have good momentum from the last game. I liked the games but I can definitely see why they didn't sell very good. Whole reason why those new Divinity games sold well (apart from being a multiplayer title) is that it was newbie friendly and you didn't have to learn how to pronounce "anamenfath" or what have you playing the game.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

2house2fly posted:

While obviously they could have been executed better in this game, why even have a story in a fantasy setting if it's not going to have magic and gods and spirits in it. You could have a game set in the real world with a focus on factional and interpersonal relationships

It's the difference between a Pillars of Eternity game where the focus is on the mystery of the origin of the Gods or the Wheel, and one where the focus is on something like the Dyrwoodan rebellion against Aedyr or the Rautaians conquering some region. Like Game of Thrones, where the focus is on the wars and politics and interpersonal relationships but there are these emerging magical forces.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

babies being born without souls is very tragic hook, but it's also poo poo for gameplay purposes. deadfire suffers from a similar fate and peters out into 'someone broke the garburator'.

they're very esoteric and deep concepts, which is fair coming from a project lead who's read a book other than 'coding for dummies'. same time, they really make punching muthafucks in the face deeply unsatisfying.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Starks posted:

If only Obsidian took a page out of Bethesda’s book and made a fallout style game. Bethesda, the anti-nerd company famous for cool FPS console shooters that are NOT for stinky grogs

this but unironically

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Avalerion posted:

It was because shiny graphics, wackyness and multiplayer focus, imo.

Divinity Original Sin is a really popular game. It has 30k steam reviews where Pillars of Eternity 2 has ~2k.

People really like DOS. Turn based and character creation are part of it but it's so much more. The game uses a custom engine, that doesn't take 10 years to load. The games aren't buggy. The combat system feels genuinely tactical and the encounters are full of novelty.

Larian have quietly built an audience over years and years of good releases. They deserve it.

I want to like obsidian games. I really do. But every time I put time into one of their games I regret it. I hate the ballooning load times and continual technical issues. I hate that they always fall into the same tedious patterns when it comes to writing. I can't bring myself to play POE2 because I know I'll feel the same way. Meanwhile I've bought DOS2 even though I'm not super enthusiastic about it becuase I know I'll play at some stage and actually find the experience pleasant.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Ograbme posted:

Don't. Even if the load times feel bearable at the beginning they will balloon out to completely unreasonable times. That, combined with quests that often require you to just walk across a map to another load screen, make it beyond frustrating. It's bad on PC, but even worse on PS4.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
The load times are manageable (on PC at least) by moving/deleting non-critical save files (an issue with the Unity Engine, not Pillars by itself). It's a valid criticism but there are options.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

isk posted:

The load times are manageable (on PC at least) by moving/deleting non-critical save files (an issue with the Unity Engine, not Pillars by itself). It's a valid criticism but there are options.

See the problem with "fixes" like this is that they invariably only half-work. If the devs overlooked something like "if you have more than 10 save files the game takes forever to load" they will definitely overlook deeper performance issues too. I can't remember a single obsidian game that performed reasonably, even in instances where I put in effort to mitigate the problems.

Meanwhile, Larian games exist.

EDIT: I can think of one Obsidian game that performed well: South Park: The Stick Of Truth.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 8, 2018

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
YMMV but Dungeon Siege III and Alpha Protocol ran super smooth for me. Only major issue I had with the Pillars games was the load times (and I could resolve those as noted before), and I found Deadfire to be consistently gorgeous (with killer sound design, but that's a different subject). Admittedly it's been a while since I played DOS2, but I do remember not being thrilled by the load times and I found the visuals a bit messy & imprecise.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
a lot of people who buy these games don't even get 30% through them. i seriously believe success and failure is often orthogonal to sophisticated judgments of value. it's probably very typical that a superficial perception of certain gameplay and narrative hooks hits a mass consumer audience in just the right way which then builds upon itself.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

isk posted:

YMMV but Dungeon Siege III and Alpha Protocol ran super smooth for me. Only major issue I had with the Pillars games was the load times (and I could resolve those as noted before), and I found Deadfire to be consistently gorgeous (with killer sound design, but that's a different subject). Admittedly it's been a while since I played DOS2, but I do remember not being thrilled by the load times and I found the visuals a bit messy & imprecise.

Alpha Protocol worked pretty well, you're right. It would have been good if the combat wasn't kinda painful.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
At the end of the day the general opinion towards Obsidian that I've seen from people who aren't already Obsidian fans are "makes niche computer RPGs for people who are very into them."

That's not a large audience.

EDIT: It not being on any goddamn consoles isn't exactly helping it's sales or that reputation, either.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 8, 2018

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

ProfessorCirno posted:

At the end of the day the general opinion towards Obsidian that I've seen from people who aren't already Obsidian fans are "makes niche computer RPGs for people who are very into them."

That's not a large audience.

It's a gigantic audience. RPGs are massive. The Witcher, Kingdom Come Deliverance, and Divinity Original Sin are blockbusters.

People bought and played Pillars of Eternity 1 in huge numbers. They didn't buy the sequel. This isn't because of market limitations, it's because POE1 pushed people away with bad tech and questionable design.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Amethyst posted:

It's a gigantic audience. RPGs are massive. The Witcher, Kingdom Come Deliverance, and Divinity Original Sin are blockbusters.

People bought and played Pillars of Eternity 1 in huge numbers. They didn't buy the sequel. This isn't because of market limitations, it's because POE1 pushed people away with bad tech and questionable design.

This is silly. The first game has great user reviews on both metacritic and steam and was by all measures very well received. Like I mentioned before I think the second game’s marketing is the culprit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Starks posted:

This is silly. The first game has great user reviews on both metacritic and steam and was by all measures very well received. Like I mentioned before I think the second game’s marketing is the culprit.

The game has a high metacritic score, therefore it's good and people like it. Good. Thanks. This is a sensible metric for measuring how much people like the game. The sequel's popularity, however, is a bad and silly metric.