Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

'Gammon' refers to a large, opinionated middle-aged white (well, purple) man with a disconcerting similarity in appearance to a cooked ham.

We call those "baby boomers" in the New World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Max Wilco posted:

I might have to check out RDR2 at some point. I wasn't too hyped for it (I remember marking the release date on my calendar when, but I sort of lost interest the closer it got to release, and with all the issues with Rockstar's working conditions), but you make it sound pretty interesting.

yeah. the story is great and hits you right in the gut a few times and toys with your wants stuff. there are alot of the times the game unapologeticly shows you as a piece of poo poo, hell there is a whole series of missions that do that. hell alot of the story chapters are weird repeating story lines because "dutch always has a plan" and poo poo keeps degrading. id talk more but i don't want to spoil stuff.

anyway on mcintosh, he wants violence to be a full fail state for the game. like full on fail state, but he never says it because he is a coward.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

We call those "baby boomers" in the New World.

It's a particularly chubby and irate subtype.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

It's a particularly chubby and irate subtype.

So boogie?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leal posted:

So boogie?

he isn't really angry. just loving dumb as hell and overly friendly.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Leal posted:

So boogie?

The Amazing Atheist would be a better example.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The Amazing Atheist would be a better example.

yeah. i used to like him in junior high. :(

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

As mentioned in the replies, all of these vids are by the same person. I guess it just started out as killing NPC's that particularly stand out.

Speaking of which, what did all of you do to Herbert Moon in RDR1? I think he might have been how I got my Dastardly achievement. Hoo-boy, he spent so much time being dragged along the ground.

EDIT: OH GOD I JUST FOUND OUT HE'S IN RDR 2. I MUST BUY THIS GAME NOW

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 8, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

As mentioned in the replies, all of these vids are by the same person. I guess it just started out as killing NPC's that particularly stand out.

Speaking of which, what did all of you do to Herbert Moon in RDR1? I think he might have been how I got my Dastardly achievement. Hoo-boy, he spent so much time being dragged along the ground.

EDIT: OH GOD I JUST FOUND OUT HE'S IN RDR 2. I MUST BUY THIS GAME NOW

yeah, this dude is dumb rear end in a top hat trying to milk youtube for views and get various groups to watch his compilations. the suffragette probably got the most views so she got more videos. he is dumb poo poo rear end in a top hat but not the worst. maybe.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The views on those are so extremely telling about youtube fuckheads it's unreal.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

The views on those are so extremely telling about youtube fuckheads it's unreal.

yeah, its depressing as gently caress. like i said before, the game treats the suffragetes like cool and good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spruGmDv6m8

here is the mission. its kinda cool. you basically drive the protest wagon. no shooting or violence. no real spoilers. its from a subquest from the third chapter of the game.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 8, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

stillvisions posted:

With most games the devil is in the details. Papers Please sounds like a McIntosh game pitch on the surface (minus the part where he probably wouldn't abide you being a part of the problem to prove a point) but the execution makes it work. I knew a guy who used to go on endlessly about wanting to make a video game about "teaching why war is bad and brings suffering and misery" and when asked how this would sell his answer was "we'd make it fun", like that was the secret to make this work and didn't have to justify it with an actual mechanic. If you're going to be smug and write game pitches like that, don't expect anyone to believe you.

Action video games are just the easiest to summarize on a cue card and have people understand the mechanics of "fun" that will be involved.

I think he's mentioned Papers, Please positively in the past--he's not nearly clueless enough to entirely miss that game's point.

And for sure, there are plenty of games out there that sound like something he'd pitch and are really good. It's just that he has a tendency to assume that "all you'd have to do" is reconsider your entire AAA game to be about a doctor and design engaging gameplay systems around frontier medicine and boom, you've fixed it. And I don't doubt that it's entirely possible to make a great game like that, but he has a way of assuming the whole industry can (and should) just do a total about-face all at once in that image.

Pyre is another game that probably sounds nuts on paper--it's a game about escaping exile and enacting a political revolution through non-violent magic sports. Oddly I don't think McIntosh has played it: someone suggested it to him and it appears that he assumed it had combat in it and wasn't interested. Somehow he missed that it's a (magical) sports game with no combat at all.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So a while ago Core-A Gaming made a video about controllers and fighting games. In it he made a joke about how nobody was gonna win with a steering wheel controller.

WELL GUESS WHAT

A little disappointing that he doesn't use the steering function, but still

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

undertale is a great anti-violence game but mcintosh would probably hate it because part of how it makes its point is by letting you make the wrong decision

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Augus posted:

undertale is a great anti-violence game but mcintosh would probably hate it because part of how it makes its point is by letting you make the wrong decision

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/805146014780944384

probably not.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Augus posted:

Knowing him he'd say something like "The acknowledgement of the conceit of being able to reset to your save and erase your cruel and malicious acts betrays the central message of this game. You can go on rampages and it doesn't matter, just load your game and play nice and it's as if you're not a serial murderer."

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Augus posted:

Undertale is interesting because it's very much a videogame about videogames. Pacifism only makes sense in context of the acknowledged immortality of the player character. I'd say it's like most children's entertainment (this isn't a bad thing) in that it's more about communicating individual values than a comprehensive, coherent worldview.

That said MacIntosh's problem isn't that he hasn't found the right game but that in addition to confusing anime appraisal with activism he's incapable of analyzing anything more complicated than My Little Pony.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Max Wilco posted:

I think the thing is that he seems like he's not aware that there are games that are like or come close to what he describes.

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/585977681109356544

Still makes me mad. :argh:
I mean, yeah, that's literally already a game.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Microcline posted:

Undertale is interesting because it's very much a videogame about videogames. Pacifism only makes sense in context of the acknowledged immortality of the player character. I'd say it's like most children's entertainment (this isn't a bad thing) in that it's more about communicating individual values than a comprehensive, coherent worldview.

Yeah, it got really weird when we had the whole wave of "actually Undertale is bad because it doesn't present a viable solution for the annexation of Crimea" and it's like, yeah, I know, it's a pretty personal-scale emotional experience and not really a guide to universal ethics.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
McIntosh's undeserved certainty is just annoying. Like with RDR 2, he's just wrong conceptually about the bounty system and didn't listen to the commenter. The wanted state is similar to GTA, but the bounty system is meant to be annoying by design as a form of punishment. The execution of it isn't perfect, since the bounty system is kind of janky, but by design it's not really exciting or rewarding. The game is actively pushing back against some of the usual GTA mayhem.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

I mean, yeah, that's literally already a game.
Rama was a good game that I only learned about from Game Dungeon, though it has the irritating flaws that are present in like every FMV adventure game of its era.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Microcline posted:

That said MacIntosh's problem isn't that he hasn't found the right game but that in addition to confusing anime appraisal with activism he's incapable of analyzing anything more complicated than My Little Pony.

Well his golden standard is Steven universe, so yeah. On undertale, I have tried getting into it but it’s honestly just kinda boring to me. I am sure it’s a great game but I can’t get into sprint stuff.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

McIntosh's undeserved certainty is just annoying. Like with RDR 2, he's just wrong conceptually about the bounty system and didn't listen to the commenter. The wanted state is similar to GTA, but the bounty system is meant to be annoying by design as a form of punishment. The execution of it isn't perfect, since the bounty system is kind of janky, but by design it's not really exciting or rewarding. The game is actively pushing back against some of the usual GTA mayhem.

Yeah but his genuine meaning that he is too afraid to expound is the game let’s you keep playing. He basically wants an instant fail state.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

4 kind of went overboard on the wacky and didn't grab me as well as 3 did. SR3 kind of hit the perfect ratio of jokey parody game to serious GTA clone that Volition never captured again before or after.

I have to disagree, 4's emphasis on your relationships with the rest of the crew gave it more heart than 3, which at its worst tended towards a sort of heartless South Park snark.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
He sounds like a pretty dumb guy who has nothing interesting to contribute to games discourse, belongs on everyone's block or at least mute lists.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Terrible Opinions posted:

Rama was a good game that I only learned about from Game Dungeon, though it has the irritating flaws that are present in like every FMV adventure game of its era.

I own a physical copy of RAMA, but I couldn't for the life of me tell you how it came into my possession. I can only presume some kind of unholy lineage where the previous owner died.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I Before E posted:

I have to disagree, 4's emphasis on your relationships with the rest of the crew gave it more heart than 3, which at its worst tended towards a sort of heartless South Park snark.

yeah, I agree - it will always baffle me how 3 completely changed Shaundi’s appearance and personality; to the point of her basically being a new character with the same name. At least 4 did something legit neat with the missions dealing with old SR2 Shaundi existing alongside SR3 Shaundi. Same thing with Gat - SR3 killed him off, offscreen, in the first mission; and nothing interesting is done with that until SR4 where it explores the Boss’s relationship with him

SR2 unambiguously has the best overall plot tho

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 8, 2018

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He sounds like a pretty dumb guy who has nothing interesting to contribute to games discourse, belongs on everyone's block or at least mute lists.

But then we couldn't laugh at his hot takes

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Boogie fat... he obese! Nasty man, waste of skin and an oxygen thief, as well as being an enabler

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

2>4>3>Gat>1

I think the missions in 4 explaining why Shaundi's character changed drastically were really good and fully justified the change in 3, which I didn't find so bad at the time since Kinzie was a much better sidekick.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I'm always surprised that there's a lot less love for Gat Out Of Hell. IV is my favorite (I never played 2 so that may have something to do with it) but I like playing Gat a little more since it has full flight and I kinda prefer playing as Kinzie over The Boss since my Boss always ends up looking weird, and not in a funny way. I'm not good at character creation.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Saints Row 3 is a very disjointed game that feels as chopped up as it was because apparently THQ was a nightmare.

Who's the best choice of voice actor to play a retired luchador? Hulk Hogan of course!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I'm always surprised that there's a lot less love for Gat Out Of Hell. IV is my favorite (I never played 2 so that may have something to do with it) but I like playing Gat a little more since it has full flight and I kinda prefer playing as Kinzie over The Boss since my Boss always ends up looking weird, and not in a funny way. I'm not good at character creation.

Ehhh, I love character creation and listening to the radio as I run around so I loved 4 despite its story problems, and can't get into GOOH even though I love stories about hell and angels and stuff. Woe.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I wish they made that Saints Row Undercover game they'd set up in one of the Gat Out Of Hell endings rather than Agents of MAYHEM. The Saints as a team of undercover cops infiltrating and taking down a much more dangerous gang with their typical madcap antics would have been a great way to continue the series more than... whatever AoM turned out to be before it faceplanted into obscurity.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

I wish they made that Saints Row Undercover game they'd set up in one of the Gat Out Of Hell endings rather than Agents of MAYHEM. The Saints as a team of undercover cops infiltrating and taking down a much more dangerous gang with their typical madcap antics would have been a great way to continue the series more than... whatever AoM turned out to be before it faceplanted into obscurity.

I honestly don't know how they expected Agents of Mayhem to succeed when anyone who finishes the tutorial would realize they'd just experienced the entire depth and breadth of gameplay it could offer. (ie; a shallow puddle's worth)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

dmboogie posted:

yeah, I agree - it will always baffle me how 3 completely changed Shaundi's appearance and personality; to the point of her basically being a new character with the same name. At least 4 did something legit neat with the missions dealing with old SR2 Shaundi existing alongside SR3 Shaundi. Same thing with Gat - SR3 killed him off, offscreen, in the first mission; and nothing interesting is done with that until SR4 where it explores the Boss's relationship with him

SR2 unambiguously has the best overall plot tho

I liked the fact that Shaundi was literally empowered by coming to terms with her past, which doubles as her sexuality as a woman, and learns to embrace it, while Kinzie is empowered by beating a caricature of a right-wing Republican conservative to death, and then later basically puts him into indentured servitude.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Personally I think it's fine mechanically but although it stars the two best characters the story is just kind of there while it doubles down on the collectable/power grinds of 4 without even attempting to add anything to the formula. I think much like 4 was the product of their publisher making them expand DLC plans into another full game to stave off incoming insolvency, Gat feels very much like their attempt to just get what they had in terms of assets out the door so their studio looked like a good asset buy during the fire sale.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
3 has a character voiced by Hulk Hogan giving you missions, a flaw that brings it down in my eyes.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edith_Margaret_Garrud

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34425615

They should add Suffrajitsu to RDR2 and have the suffragettes kick the rear end of the player character.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

^ I was almost at a loss for a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CelticPredator posted:

^ I was almost at a loss for a second.

Actually, if you dial it back to four frames it is Loss.