Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Biplane posted:

Nothing a little explaining won't solve.

Yeah, teenagers are known for their ability to explain themselves to their friends, and not harbor resentments, suspicions and grudges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah, teenagers are known for their ability to explain themselves to their friends, and not harbor resentments, suspicions and grudges.

gently caress off with your negativity, my teenage witch baes will absolutely manage to save their friendships and the town or whatever.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Biplane posted:

gently caress off with your negativity, my teenage witch baes will absolutely manage to save their friendships and the town or whatever.

Well yeah, eventually. But I'll bet money that one of the primary sources of tension will be between Sabrina and the mortals.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Well yeah, eventually. But I'll bet money that one of the primary sources of tension will be between Sabrina and the mortals.

Oh yeah, for sure. But in my heart I know they will find their way back to each other

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Didn't she tell Harvey that she fixed the situation but had to go away forever because she was afraid of what she had to do to fix it? I thought she at least let him know what was going on.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Shoehead posted:

Did Roz not know about braille? She can read any book she wants! Not that that makes up for the use of her eyes, but I'd want to go see some films or to some art galleries, or some vistas, really put my eyes to work before they go

Serious question: in our present day and age, can you pretty much order any book in Braille or is it only popular stuff sort of thing?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

BioEnchanted posted:

Didn't she tell Harvey that she fixed the situation but had to go away forever because she was afraid of what she had to do to fix it? I thought she at least let him know what was going on.
I figure she'd have to explain to Harvey a few times what killing a bunch of ghosts with hellfire actually implies.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I have a weird feeling the mortal cast is largely not long for this earth.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Speaking of, I was wondering how old all the witch characters are supposed to be. Are the weird sisters mortal school age?

Hilda mentions being around for Queen Victoria’s coronation and Ambrose has been in house arrest for 75 years, so dudes like Blackwood must be ancient right?

Also who are Ambrose’s parents?? Are the Spellmans actually aunts/cousins or is that just a term of endearment? You’d think the missing fourth sibling that Ambrose was born to might get mentioned.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Final verdict: Good show, not thrilled about the ending but it does open up some interesting possibilities for season 2.

Kinda funny that this show has like 10% as much spellcasting as the dumb sitcom. She turns on a radio in the first episode and that's it for casual zaps.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also who are Ambrose’s parents?? Are the Spellmans actually aunts/cousins or is that just a term of endearment? You’d think the missing fourth sibling that Ambrose was born to might get mentioned.

I think the Aunts where actually sisters of Sabrinas dad. But no clue about Ambrose. I don't think he's Hilda's or Zelda's child. But it might just be something indirect, like the third cousin twice removed. To be honest, the small cult of long living people, with a religion which forbids thinning the bloodlines is probably not that genetically diverse anyway. Ambrose is probably Sabrinas cousin in multiple ways. All on her father's side of course.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

cant cook creole bream posted:

I think the Aunts where actually sisters of Sabrinas dad. But no clue about Ambrose. I don't think he's Hilda's or Zelda's child. But it might just be something indirect, like the third cousin twice removed. To be honest, the small cult of long living people, with a religion which forbids thinning the bloodlines is probably not that genetically diverse anyway. Ambrose is probably Sabrinas cousin in multiple ways. All on her father's side of course.

Lol she's extra powerful because hybrid vigor

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

latinotwink1997 posted:

Serious question: in our present day and age, can you pretty much order any book in Braille or is it only popular stuff sort of thing?
Not really; there's a bunch of copyright issues with going and getting custom printings of existing works, so you're stuck with publishers who've signed Braille deals. Or using audiobooks, which have a much higher market density.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

latinotwink1997 posted:

The only thing I know about braille these days is someone made a braille e-reader. So I dunno if you have to maybe pirate or convert books that haven't been translated.

Whalley posted:

Not really; there's a bunch of copyright issues with going and getting custom printings of existing works, so you're stuck with publishers who've signed Braille deals. Or using audiobooks, which have a much higher market density.

Oh yeah and audiobooks, I'd say there's heaps more just because you have general appeal.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Audiobooks suck rear end and I can only imagine going from reading normally to braille would be a hellish transition so I sympathize with Roz.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I'm kind of curious to see how much of a time skip there will be between seasons, considering Roz will be blind in three months.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Biplane posted:

Audiobooks suck rear end and I can only imagine going from reading normally to braille would be a hellish transition so I sympathize with Roz.

I guess I really don't know how Id react to such horrible news, but I've always taken some comfort in knowing I could at least probably attempt to read and maybe write. Being a goony gently caress I'd probably miss videogames and seeing butts and stuff more. Also I animate in my spare time so I'd miss that a whole lot. I dunno maybe she was just focused on the books because the meeting happened to be exactly when she was supposed to go blind.

Anyway I hope Sabrina helps her out with her curse. Maybe her Shinin' will be too useful

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

What this show needs more of is contract law.

I hope Sabrina brings back Daniel Webster to argue her agreement with Satan is null and void on account of Satan acting in bad faith and forcing her signature under duress.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

QuoProQuid posted:

What this show needs more of is contract law.

I hope Sabrina brings back Daniel Webster to argue her agreement with Satan is null and void on account of Satan acting in bad faith and forcing her signature under duress.

I was really surprised the episode didn't end with him dying, so I guess they probably have plans to bring him back.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Lurdiak posted:

I was really surprised the episode didn't end with him dying, so I guess they probably have plans to bring him back.

I don't know, I don't think they'll kill Satan this early into proceedings.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I don't know, I don't think they'll kill Satan this early into proceedings.

I'm sure there were some shenanigans in the judge's "private chambers" or whatever, the end of that episode seemed way more poignant than it deserved to be.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Biplane posted:

I'm sure there were some shenanigans in the judge's "private chambers" or whatever, the end of that episode seemed way more poignant than it deserved to be.

Turns out during the discussion the lawyer found out about the whole apocalypse plot and just went "You know what... the worlds hosed right now and needs a reboot, so go ahead."

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

The show's alright, but I think I would like it better if the horror element was ratcheted up. Like if the show was rated R.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Shoehead posted:

Anyway I hope Sabrina helps her out with her curse. Maybe her Shinin' will be too useful

According to the grandmother she'll go blind but it'll make her shinnin strong enough to save her life so it sounds like she won't be able to get it lifted, or that she'll stay blind even if it does.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
She'll choose to keep it, if given a choice in the matter.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Ither posted:

The show's alright, but I think I would like it better if the horror element was ratcheted up. Like if the show was rated R.

The one complaint I have about the show it they actually toned it way down from the comic. I get it, but having Sabrina be okay with the devil worship and cannabalism until it affected her friends was a better angle.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
michelle gomez looks like a middle-aged lorde. what the heck.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

sebzilla posted:

Jeff from Coupling is a surprisingly good Father Blackwood, although I did keep expecting him to go off on a weird tangent about the Giggle Loop or the Melty Man.
:aaaaa:

How did I not notice this?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Edmund Lava posted:

The one complaint I have about the show it they actually toned it way down from the comic. I get it, but having Sabrina be okay with the devil worship and cannabalism until it affected her friends was a better angle.

I still can't wait to see the reaction of her mortal friends to finding out witch society is absolutely everything their crazy-rear end preachers told them it was, at least technically. And Sabrina seemed okay with the signing until she actually heard the technical details rather than the marketing copy. The cannibalism seems like something controversial even among witches, and basically only continues because even most of the would-be sacrificial victims genuinely consider it an honour. I wanna see more of the other teenage witches hanging out with mortals, that's always hilarious.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The cannibalism seems like something controversial even among witches

"Shame it isn't a closed casket; we haven't had long pig in ages".

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

"Shame it isn't a closed casket; we haven't had long pig in ages".

The series finale will be everyone getting a prion disease and dying

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Point there.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So is the cannibalism only controversial to witches when it's another witch then? Because Zelda's dream would suggest it is but then there's other times when they don't seem to care, like with Connor.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

EvilTaytoMan posted:

So is the cannibalism only controversial to witches when it's another witch then? Because Zelda's dream would suggest it is but then there's other times when they don't seem to care, like with Connor.

they didn't know he was a warlock at the time though. Ambrose only discovered the witch mark after Zelda lusted for human flesh

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Biplane posted:

they didn't know he was a warlock at the time though. Ambrose only discovered the witch mark after Zelda lusted for human flesh

Yeah I thought that might be the case after I posted. So they're okay with cannibalism as long as it's on mortals then?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Yeah I thought that might be the case after I posted. So they're okay with cannibalism as long as it's on mortals then?

looks like it, apart from the feast of feasts, which seemed fairly controversial

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Biplane posted:

looks like it, apart from the feast of feasts, which seemed fairly controversial

It's only controversial because it kills a valuable member of their shrinking population, not because of the cannibalism. Zelda thought it appropriate to serve Satan a roasted warlock child in her dream, and Satan admonished her for lowering the population.

That's my take anyway.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

yeah that seems about right.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Makes you wonder how they became witches in the first place. And if it's possible for a mortal to become a witch, and if so why aren't they recruiting if their population is dwindling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Makes you wonder how they became witches in the first place. And if it's possible for a mortal to become a witch, and if so why aren't they recruiting if their population is dwindling?

Mortals can't become witches, its implied you need witch blood. I would guess that a long fuckin time ago, some stuff with Satan banging chicks and making them have babies happened, and that started a series of bloodlines.