Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

EnergizerFellow posted:

so are suits still a thing east of the mississippi? at least for architect/manager level outside finance?

nope

not unless you're customer-facing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

EnergizerFellow posted:

so are suits still a thing east of the mississippi? at least for architect/manager level outside finance?

not super common, but their incidence does increase as you go up the corporate ladder, imho. still very dependent on the company culture, though.

Also a reminder that when a west coast tech company says "we don't care what you wear" they mean "We will judge you if you're not wearing casual clothes"

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

cheque_some posted:

not super common, but their incidence does increase as you go up the corporate ladder, imho. still very dependent on the company culture, though.

Also a reminder that when a west coast tech company says "we don't care what you wear" they mean "We will judge you if you're not wearing casual clothes"

this isn't strictly true, they'll judge you if you dress like an absolute fuckin moron

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

and good, dont dress like a loving moron

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
lol

MononcQc posted:

yeah basically you can see remote work in all kinds of variations from "babbi's first remote" to "full blown remote":

• cross-team projects in corporations with multiple offices: this can be remote work (i.e. your teammate is far away and there is no way to physically talk to them), but it is relatively rare since people will more willingly collocate projects entirely within one office and pay for travel. This can in ways happen within the same city when you have larger campuses and floors. Babbi's first remote team experience.
one of my companies did a survey and found the "average" project was split into 6 sites. there was a big initiative to slim that down, and this was after a bunch of smaller international offices were shut down. at the design/test conference there was an entire paper on "we put folks working on the same thing on the same floor and it was great!!! same aisle, even better!!!!" and they were just breathless describing it

the one area where it really worked was 24h debug. we'd work 8 hours, hand off to somewhere in yurop, they'd work for 8 and hand off to malaysia, we'd wake up and the problem was 16 hours ahead. like magic.

KoRMaK posted:

I'm very open to that idea, but I don't think I was a dick about offering. I was always really supportive of helping them. I was very very patient with them, but I will say I wasn't absolutely perfect. It was a very trying relationship. They didn't know anything about how like classes or instances worked, or how variables and their scopes were defined, which means they basically misrepresented themselves in the interview. So anyway, whatever it was I was tooooo much of a dick from his perspective. But for me, and the other devs that had to work with him, they said I demonstrated really good patience.
can't find original but it does sound like it was on the other person in this case. but if you want a 80's management buzzword that pattern matches close you want Set up to Fail

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I wear a dress shirt and pants because I want to. :colbert:

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

SardonicTyrant posted:

narc

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

SardonicTyrant posted:

"You know we have a casual dress code, right?"

I used to work in finance and had this director that would wear a suit with no tie every day. Once in a while I'd wear a tie just because I felt like it and he would say, "You know wearing a tie is optional, right?". I 'd confirm that I knew that, I just wanted to and he would be like, "I just wanted you to know that wearing a tie is OPTIONAL"

One time, when we had a meeting scheduled with him, I got my entire team to wear ties just to see what he would do. My manager, who usually tried to get away with jeans and sneakers, showed up to the meeting in a suit. As I recall, the director bellowed "WHAT IS EVERYONE SO DRESSED UP FOR?!" and slammed the table.

Now imagine if you did that in sillycon valley!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Truth be told, I originally was playing it safe because the company video for the dress code literally didn't explain what the dress code was.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
now that i think about it, i worked with a dude for 5 months who came in with a kilt, top coat and inverness cape in every day. had the general body shape and mien to pull it off. cycled off into another office and would wear the whole shebang in videoconferences

i suspect that was a life goal of his

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
My company has different dress codes and it's usually more formal the closer a site works with a customer. P much a dog and pony show.

Luckily I can get away with jeans and dbz/Hawaiian shirts for my current project, while My last project was business casual.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Here's a tip: if you're gonna wear a suit, don't go wearing the cheapest loving three piece you can find in the back corner of Walmart. Get it tailored, spend a lot of money, buy several, and get them cleaned often. I think nerds hate suits vociferously because they always wear the most ill fitting awful suits that do nothing but advertise their own inferiority above all else. Your suit should make you feel and look like a king, not a goddamn peasant

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

qhat posted:

Here's a tip: if you're gonna wear a suit, don't go wearing the cheapest loving three piece you can find in the back corner of Walmart. Get it tailored, spend a lot of money, buy several, and get them cleaned often. I think nerds hate suits vociferously because they always wear the most ill fitting awful suits that do nothing but advertise their own inferiority above all else. Your suit should make you feel and look like a king, not a goddamn peasant

Oh yeah definitely this. Get something with a trendy cut if you're young (or if you're old, gently caress it) and be prepared to spend a little money. Suit supply has some cool stuff if you have one in the area.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

qhat posted:

this. want to look pro generally for not much money? get cheap off the rack stuff, then get everything tailored, including random t-shirts. that and get basic dress shoes, e.g. cap toe, learn how to polish them, and take care of them frequently. shoe trees are you friend damnit.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
constantly bummed in phone interviews about having to choose whether to pause and gather my thoughts, which makes interviewers panic, or just speak from the cuff and come out completely incoherent

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Gazpacho posted:

which makes interviewers panic

oh totally

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I interviewed with a company today and it was a startup but I also really liked the company and if the figgies are right maybe I’ll do it but change is scary. as much as my current position frustrates me it’s a p great gig so leaving would not be easy

The interview itself went really well tho

We’ll see what happens I guess 🤷‍♀️

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Achmed Jones posted:

I interviewed with a company today and it was a startup but I also really liked the company and if the figgies are right maybe I’ll do it but change is scary. as much as my current position frustrates me it’s a p great gig so leaving would not be easy

be careful

don't leap for the first rope that presents itself. there will be other gigs.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Gazpacho posted:

constantly bummed in phone interviews about having to choose whether to pause and gather my thoughts, which makes interviewers panic, or just speak from the cuff and come out completely incoherent

why don't you just say "let me think about this for a second" or something

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

i generally repeated the problem statement and some facts about the setup to make it clear that I was thinking

also has the nice side effect that they will likely correct you if you misunderstood something

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

its definitely fair to say "wow, thats a great question, let me consider that for a moment..." and then gather your thoughts before responding

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

just accepted an offer with a company that im super stoked on that comes with a nice pay bump and a drastically reduced commute. thanks to the folks itt for encouragement and answering my dumb questions

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kind Friend posted:

just accepted an offer with a company that im super stoked on that comes with a nice pay bump and a drastically reduced commute. thanks to the folks itt for encouragement and answering my dumb questions

goons, getting paid

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

phone interview in 2 hours :kheldragar:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

unlocking the above post

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

:tipshat:

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

Ragtime All The Time posted:

phone interview in 2 hours :kheldragar:

hmmmm well that could have gone better. was expecting more technical questions but only got stuff about ideal managers and handling conflict. the interviewer didn’t seem very knowledgeable or enthusiastic about the position and couldn’t provide much info directly related to the position. if the description lists “some travel required” and you can’t give me an idea of how much that actually is...

arrgghhhhg :negative: interviewing sucks my dilz

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Ragtime All The Time posted:

hmmmm well that could have gone better. was expecting more technical questions but only got stuff about ideal managers and handling conflict. the interviewer didn’t seem very knowledgeable or enthusiastic about the position and couldn’t provide much info directly related to the position. if the description lists “some travel required” and you can’t give me an idea of how much that actually is...

Look on the bright side, seems like a few red flags if you wanna blow em off, if you think a position isn't gonna be a good fit its nice to be able to short circuit the process.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

I still want that surf spot!

Should I re apply under s different alias?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ADINSX posted:

Look on the bright side, seems like a few red flags if you wanna blow em off, if you think a position isn't gonna be a good fit its nice to be able to short circuit the process.

Sometimes the first phone screen is someone from HR or a recruitment consultancy who know nothing about the role and you just have to deal with it

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

pointsofdata posted:

Sometimes the first phone screen is someone from HR or a recruitment consultancy who know nothing about the role and you just have to deal with it

yeah thats what it must have been. I saw “technical recruiter” in their title and assumed that it would be more focused than generalized views into ideal work life balance.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I got an email today wanting to set up a phone screen for a position I applied for three months ago. Can you hire anyone operating with that kind of turnaround time? In any case it felt real good to send a 'sorry pal I took another job in September' email.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Asleep Style posted:

I got an email today wanting to set up a phone screen for a position I applied for three months ago. Can you hire anyone operating with that kind of turnaround time? In any case it felt real good to send a 'sorry pal I took another job in September' email.

this poo poo is ~ power law

i got one 10 months late once

lol at saying that applicants are the problem w/ interviewing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
people are lazy about managing applicants because nearly all of the applicants are trash

the math of the situation dictates that nobody has real good incentives

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

nothing kills my interest faster than a complicated timed code exercise in a language i said i don't have much experience in, with no option to change it, and no one on the other end to complain to

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Flaming June posted:

nothing kills my interest faster than a complicated timed code exercise in a language i said i don't have much experience in, with no option to change it, and no one on the other end to complain to

I see you’ve also interviewed with palantir

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Asleep Style posted:

one of the fed jobs i applied to back in april just got back to me with an offer after never contacting me at anytime since then
it truly is wondrous that people are able to get hired anywhere

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Just signed up for hired.com, hope it's better than the usual spam from recruitment sites

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i always figured that contacting you months after you apply was a sign that the guy they hired didnt work out so before they start the whole expensive hunt up again why not see if any of the better qualified applicants they passed on are still available. a longshot (esp in this labor market) but hey if it pays out it can save the company a lot of time and effort and money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

how hard would it be for me to find work in the usa as a well paid finance computer toucher

i have experience at ripping out services from big old systems and integrating them with other services. also i have worked both in banks and broking/trading companies