Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jennifer Hale is just a really good singer.

Also a great Black Cat. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Barudak posted:

I would assume this is a different timeline as they appear to have their Whats New Scooby Doo looks and further-

Its Scooby Doo, please do not apply linear time to the preceedings.

It is canonical that in-universe, the world goes through frequent reboots of reality, with the only person consistently retaining memories between each reboot being Harlan Ellison.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
An Aspect of Scrappy Doo is that he was almost a good character, but he was hosed up by the cartoon censorship of the time. He was supposed to be actually effective, but the execs thought that that was a bad influence on children so they neutered him after promising the head writer that they would not. I can't find the article that explained this though, or I'd link it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Argue posted:

It is canonical that in-universe, the world goes through frequent reboots of reality, with the only person consistently retaining memories between each reboot being Harlan Ellison.

Harlan Ellison was in that show?

I'd been putting it off, but man I've really got to try that show out.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc was really great, and is the only Scooby Doo show that has a running body count and also has a story that you could believe ties in to Twin Peaks, and another that ties together the origins of Dynomutt with Jonny Quest. My only complaint is I wish the one episode where they unmask the Funky Phantom didn't turn out to be a dream sequence.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

An Aspect of Scrappy Doo is that he was almost a good character, but he was hosed up by the cartoon censorship of the time. He was supposed to be actually effective, but the execs thought that that was a bad influence on children so they neutered him after promising the head writer that they would not. I can't find the article that explained this though, or I'd link it.

This one, from the guy who made Scrappy

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

:eyepop: That was a very good read.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Don't forget that the hero school in OK KO has canonically beaten Luna Nova in sportsball. Ian wields all the power and no one can, or wants to, stop him.

I had to look up what that was. I haven't seen Little Witch Academia, but the one thing I do know is that they did draw both Ian and Rebecca Sugar into the series (multiple times I guess):

Also, in trying to reserch that, I found out they also drew in both Dipper and Mable as well as Connie from Steven Universe into a crowd scene one time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Scooby-Doo can talk because he's the descendant of a race of extradimensional beings who came to ancient humans in the form of animals such as the cats of Egypt or Sun Wukong.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, the extradimensional beings in question are pretty much identical to the unnamed creature from Stephen King's It, down to the thing where one of them is buried beneath California, spreads evil in cycles throughout history, and we get flashbacks to various previous historical mystery gangs who were provoked into forming by its evil machinations, e.g. a gang of mystery-solving Gregorian monks accompanied by a talking donkey. The show even ends with a big finale where the mystery gang has to go underneath their home town to confront the extradimensional monster that has fomented centuries of evil before they finally defeat it and break the cycle.

Scooby can talk because of his ancestral links to this ancient evil, and all the previous talking animals were inevitably corrupted by its influence and turned on their mystery-solving teen friends.

It was a wacky show. Not always great, but extremely ambitious, and definitely a lot of fun.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And, probably spoilers, one of them that still lived was a talking owl who used its speech capacity to control Nazi robots.

I need to actually watch that show.

Also, there was an actual Scooby-Doo/Supernatural crossover.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's also an episode where Scooby has a dream about the gang going to a mystery solvers' convention, and they have to solve a mystery with all the other Hanna-Barbera Scooby-Doo ripoffs like Speed Buggy, Captain Caveman, and the Funky Phantom.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Android Blues posted:

Also, the extradimensional beings in question are pretty much identical to the unnamed creature from Stephen King's It, down to the thing where one of them is buried beneath California, spreads evil in cycles throughout history, and we get flashbacks to various previous historical mystery gangs who were provoked into forming by its evil machinations, e.g. a gang of mystery-solving Gregorian monks accompanied by a talking donkey. The show even ends with a big finale where the mystery gang has to go underneath their home town to confront the extradimensional monster that has fomented centuries of evil before they finally defeat it and break the cycle.

Scooby can talk because of his ancestral links to this ancient evil, and all the previous talking animals were inevitably corrupted by its influence and turned on their mystery-solving teen friends.

It was a wacky show. Not always great, but extremely ambitious, and definitely a lot of fun.

I'd really have loved to see their university years with Harlan Ellison at Miskatonic University. It'll never happen, but it'd be great if it did.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd really have loved to see their university years with Harlan Ellison at Miskatonic University. It'll never happen, but it'd be great if it did.

There's a... pretty big roadblock to doing that now...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Argue posted:

There's a... pretty big roadblock to doing that now...

There’s literally a trailer several posts above which just brought back Vincent Price.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think the issue is that while that character was originally voiced and is heavily modeled off of Price, he's still technically an original character, but Harlon Ellison was just Harlon Ellison in MI.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Come to think of it, Flimflam's Tibetan. Will this get Scooby Doo in trouble with the Chinese government?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

SlothfulCobra posted:

Come to think of it, Flimflam's Tibetan. Will this get Scooby Doo in trouble with the Chinese government?

Why? The Chinese government usually doesn't try to cover up the existence of Tibet. They just claim it's a Chinese district. Unless he straight up says "Hi, I'm Flimflam from the autonomous country Tibet. China is a foreign evil, please look up the Tiananmen Square Massacre." it will probably be fine.

Full disclaimer, I don't know who that is.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 8, 2018

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And, probably spoilers, one of them that still lived was a talking owl who used its speech capacity to control Nazi robots.

I need to actually watch that show.

Also, there was an actual Scooby-Doo/Supernatural crossover.

parrot

You absolutely should.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hey man there's no point in subposting in this thread that like maybe only 20 people post in.

And I maintain that yes, China just might take affront to a live action TV show on Netflix that depicts a Tibetan genocide.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I started watching mystery incorporated today and oh my god this show owns

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Junpei Hyde posted:

I started watching mystery incorporated today and oh my god this show owns

You're in for a ride.

Also holy gently caress they made a Scooby Doo movie featuring Bobby Flay and Giada de Laurentis.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sockser posted:

I don't know who the target audience for a conclusion movie to 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo is

but it's me
It is the series that gave us the closest we'll ever get to Vincent Price as Dr. Strange. (Maurice is doing a helluva impression even though it sounds like he is also doing his Orson Welles voice)

I actually like most Scooby Doo things honestly, I kind of grew up in the golden area of the mid to late 90s where you had all the notable old stuff showing up on CN, A Pup Named Scooby Doo and then the first 4 Scooby Doo Direct to Video movies that I watched constantly (Zombie Island being the best and honestly legit creepy at parts).

Kind of fell to the wayside through the 00s until Mystery Inc came along and is legit one of my favorite cartoons of all time.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It has one of the best voice casts of a show other than something like Justice League Unlimited

Also Matthew Lillard is much better as Shaggy animated than in real life

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's hard not to hear Welles in a lot of LaMarche's impressions. It even slipped through a bit in that Kirk Douglas voice he used for Father on KND.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Matthew Lillard was born to play Shaggy.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Scooby Doo is a franchise that has aged remarkably well. It helps that the people behind it seem to be people that grew up loving the show and just want to get weird with it.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Modern Scooby-Doo and Archie all seem to be about taking these straight-laced franchises and going buckwild and I'm all about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's not like either franchise is a stranger to doing some crazy poo poo every now and again, just this time they have a budget.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Scooby Doo's main advantage is that it's a property people both have a lot of nostalgia for, while also being totally willing to admit that it's really dumb.

It's also super malleable which is why it's able to cross over with literally everything

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I must have been at just the wrong age to enjoy Scooby Doo. When I was in my prime cartoon-watching years, they weren't producing any new Scooby Doo series, but Cartoon Network was playing Scooby Doo for what felt like 8 hours a day every day and I always kind of resented it for not showing shows I liked more often.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also speak of the devil, Drawfee put out a video where they attempt to draw classic Scooby Doo villains from the episode titles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G4dJF4KULQ

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
OK. Teen Titans Go is the greatest animated troll of all time.

They HAD to know what they were doing with Wonder Woman and the milk.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Or these guys:

You now have the music stuck in your head.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Beachcomber posted:

OK. Teen Titans Go is the greatest animated troll of all time.

They HAD to know what they were doing with Wonder Woman and the milk.

Not to mention Cyborg's "duet" with her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tswQh1uKfI

Which is also a hella catchy song.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
In addition to just being all around decent the latest episode of Gumball (The Drama) has a guest animated segment that's kind of awesome. I highly recommend it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Caught up with Voltron, started the Dragon Prince.

I'm actually impressed at how CGI animation has developed to the point that it can be a reasonably good imitation of, well, an ATLA style "anime", especially in the action sequences. I'm way less impressed by the choice to only animate key frames during dialog scenes. The lack of fluidity reminds me more of early Archer more than anything else.

Also the intro was such a confusing loving infodump that I'm not sure what's going on besides elves and humans hate each other and there was a dragon but it's dead now. But I get the impression that's all I really need to know?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

asecondduck posted:

Not to mention Cyborg's "duet" with her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tswQh1uKfI

Which is also a hella catchy song.

She does look rather satisfied at the end of it, but...

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
In the latest Teen Titans Go Robin is trying to explain the concept of quantum super states to the rest of the group. How do you even come up with that? That idea is so completely out of the left field.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just watched the TTG movie. Was a lot better than I expected it to be. Arnett was just perfect as Deadpool Slade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funny thing is they've had the evil universe counterpart of Deathstroke be basically extremely obviously Deadpool, he just never gets his name out.