Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

how hard would it be for me to find work in the usa as a well paid finance computer toucher

i have experience at ripping out services from big old systems and integrating them with other services. also i have worked both in banks and broking/trading companies

lots of places where they'll hire you if you can breathe and actually touch computers (read: jump through idiot interviewing hoops and do some interview code)

your problem is visas. are you from a rich european country or japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i hold british and irish passports

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

h1b is for you

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
Best bet is probably to get job in London then try to transfer to New York

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

company i work for has offices somewhere in limeyland and also multiple places in US. not finance though

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

cheque_some posted:

This sort of works but is still a big pain. Have to justify why you can't hire an American or something

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Have you considered getting a job in London and just being paid a lot less?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

pointsofdata posted:

This sort of works but is still a big pain. Have to justify why you can't hire an American or something

You just have to put an ad in the physical news paper where nerds don't check anymore, and then be like see no one qualified applied! We need jesus WEP please approve.

It's stupid, but part of the song and dance

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

pointsofdata posted:

But if it's a big firm and they like you they'll take care of this for you. C/p your resume and call it "job requirements", boom, can't find any one that meets them

A couple years ago I saw a classified ad for a Quantitative Analyst at a top investment bank in the classified ads of am New York, in with all the ads for maids, security guards, and massage parlors

"we ran an ad for a month in the highest circulation newspaper in Manhattan and found no one qualified, we gotta transfer someone in from Frankfurt"

pointsofdata posted:

Have you considered getting a job in London and just being paid a lot less?
Or this

Edit: crap, beaten

cheque_some fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 8, 2018

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
i realize the uk with brexit looming seems bad but moving to the us really isn't going to make anything better

also don't get fooled by the figgies, there are lots of expenses you'll have that simply don't exist in europe, such as contributing significant amounts of money to political campaigning to try to maybe hopefully avoid actual nazis getting elected for public office

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

TheFluff posted:

i realize the uk with brexit looming seems bad but moving to the us really isn't going to make anything better

also don't get fooled by the figgies, there are lots of expenses you'll have that simply don't exist in europe, such as contributing significant amounts of money to political campaigning to try to maybe hopefully avoid actual nazis getting elected for public office

these jobs dont exist outside the sfba seattle and some other points of non-crap in the republican darkness

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

bob dobbs is dead posted:

these jobs dont exist outside the sfba seattle and some other points of non-crap in the republican darkness

yea but congress

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

how hard would it be for me to find work in the usa as a well paid finance computer toucher

i have experience at ripping out services from big old systems and integrating them with other services. also i have worked both in banks and broking/trading companies

in terms of dealing with visa and quality of life stuff youd probably be better off just going to germany

or nz like im currently doing

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

TheFluff posted:

the uk's mistake is permanent

the us' mistake is at least potentially temporary, assuming free elections dont go away in the process

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

I see you’ve also interviewed with palantir

lol I just noped a palantir recruiter hard, they're on the prowl

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Achmed Jones posted:

lol I just noped a palantir recruiter hard, they're on the prowl

I make sure to reply to Palantir recruiters. Make sure to tell them how immoral what their company does and enables is.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

cheque_some posted:

This is horrible advice, for two reasons.

One is that the visa you'll use to enter the US will be L-1. This is non-transferable. You continue working for your sponsor or you can go pound sand back at home. Your manager will occasionally gently remind you of this fact, particularly if you have the temerity to ask for a raise.

The other is that London computer touchers can be paid peanuts whereas New York computer touchers are paid something at least vaguely approaching an equitable share of their generated value. Given that businesses are not generally known for going out of their way to increase their costs...

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Flaming June posted:

nothing kills my interest faster than a complicated timed code exercise in a language i said i don't have much experience in, with no option to change it, and no one on the other end to complain to

Or working in languages like java or C# whose workflows more or less depend on IDE support, so now you’re fighting compiler errors instead of fighting their test suite and the clock is ticking and in the case of Amazon it’s all just pass-fail and It’ll be 3/4ths of a year before they let you reapply and :byodame: AAAAAAAAAAAAA

I wish I was some sort of self-promoting known conference speaker / writer and don’t have to walk through the same doors as the Top Coder studying recent-grads.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Sapozhnik posted:

This is horrible advice, for two reasons.

One is that the visa you'll use to enter the US will be L-1. This is non-transferable. You continue working for your sponsor or you can go pound sand back at home. Your manager will occasionally gently remind you of this fact, particularly if you have the temerity to ask for a raise.

The other is that London computer touchers can be paid peanuts whereas New York computer touchers are paid something at least vaguely approaching an equitable share of their generated value. Given that businesses are not generally known for going out of their way to increase their costs...

yeah, just go for a us only company and say you need sponsorship

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

huh. apparently i had a phone screen to be a consultant at a consulting firm? ok

i know zip about consulting tho

they have a 4.2 on glassdoor and are in chicago too so hey

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

any company with a high rating on glassdoor is astroturfing. there are two believable ratings on glass door: average and below average

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

yeah the bad reviews on glassdoor are 100x more believable than the good ones. not all good reviews are fake but set the shill detector to maximum sensitivity before reading them

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

oh my god I just realized that interviewing for programming jobs is its own loving field that you could spend hours doing. Like part time amount of hours learning all these loving katas and different dev processes like tdd or ddd. It's it's own specialized field. How annoying. This came rushing to me as I read this as I was giving a new friend recommendations

http://codingdojo.org/kata/RomanNumerals/

quote:

* if you don’t know an algorithm to do this already, can you derive one using strict TDD?
* Would it be better to work out an algorithm first before starting with TDD?
* if you do know an algorithm already, can you implement it using strict TDD?

Question two feels like such a "duh" from me, which then makes me a little concerned with what I don't know.

anyway, I came across this because I'm helping a buddy and all the different poo poo he could do to learn and get a job came rushing to me and I realized how much time you could spend just on interviewing stuff alone. I'm going to send him this thread instead.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

yeah the bad reviews on glassdoor are 100x more believable than the good ones. not all good reviews are fake but set the shill detector to maximum sensitivity before reading them

ehhhh i dunno. i've seen negative reviews for previous places i've worked where it was clear the person had a chip on their shoulder and didn't realize they were the problem. just gotta take it all with a grain of salt, postive or negative, and use it as guidance for asking prodding questions during your interview. generally if you read enough of them the overall trends will start to emerge where the genuine positives will come out even if the reviewer is typing in all caps about how much they hated working there or negatives will be mentioned because the hr turfing can't make it *that* obvious that they're pumping the numbers

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

FMguru posted:

i always figured that contacting you months after you apply was a sign that the guy they hired didnt work out so before they start the whole expensive hunt up again why not see if any of the better qualified applicants they passed on are still available. a longshot (esp in this labor market) but hey if it pays out it can save the company a lot of time and effort and money

never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

KoRMaK posted:

oh my god I just realized that interviewing for programming jobs is its own loving field that you could spend hours doing. Like part time amount of hours learning all these loving katas and different dev processes like tdd or ddd. It's it's own specialized field. How annoying. This came rushing to me as I read this as I was giving a new friend recommendations

Question two feels like such a "duh" from me, which then makes me a little concerned with what I don't know.

anyway, I came across this because I'm helping a buddy and all the different poo poo he could do to learn and get a job came rushing to me and I realized how much time you could spend just on interviewing stuff alone. I'm going to send him this thread instead.

That's kinda the thesis of this thread tbh, see title

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

any interviewer that asks me to tdd a roman numeral is gonna get an eyeroll and a thanks for your time

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

KoRMaK posted:

I was reading a scala book (I work at a scala shop now) that described "mess around with the REPL before you start your real work so you have an idea of what you're going to do" as "experiment driven development"

It was a really satisfying thing to read, not because I need to be told "gently caress around with poo poo until you think you know what you want to do", but because now I have a name i can drop while I look down my nose at someone suggesting I tdd a problem before I even know what the gently caress I'm doing

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

KoRMaK posted:

i mean, yeah, interviewing is a separate skill from programming, which is a separate skill from software development. unless you're really really good at one of them, you usually need to be decent at all three (but you don't need to be great)

so yeah you need to practice it separately. honestly study outlines, interviewing books, practice problems, and practice interviews are going to be more productive than this thread (i say this as someone who read every single post in this thread during my job search). but the great thing is you can usually do this on your employers' time because you're leaving anyway

Pie Colony fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 9, 2018

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
also treating it like a separate thing means you treat the process differently

if a company passed on me because i didn't know domain-driven design, that doesn't mean i think i'm a bad developer, or that the interviewing process is poo poo

the process is actually working, it's telling me that company is bad, and i probably wouldn't want to work there

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ADINSX posted:

someone suggesting I tdd a problem before I even know what the gently caress I'm doing

I still don't understand what "tdding the problem" or "strict tdd" practically means. Does it mean not using an interactive console to do prodding and instead all experimental code changes get run through the test and thats the only way to get an answer?

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
it means writing failing unit tests before writing an implementation. then you implement what you need to make the tests pass. so that's why you wouldn't want to think of an algorithm before writing tests. at least i think, i've never done TDD

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jesus WEP posted:

under the current regime experience isn't enough anymore. they are now dotting i's and crossing t's in the visa process. since sometime in 2017, to get or renew an h1b, you need a relevant degree

you can still get hired and live in the usa using other visa classes. many large firms will hire you via a local subsidiary and move you to the states on an L-1 visa

the problem is that the h-1b is the only broadly available dual intent visa class. no matter how well you do on an L-1 visa, you can never become a permanent resident on an L-1 -- it is not an immigrant visa, ever. h-1b expressly allows you to immigrate, if you jump through enough hoops, which is why it's so desirable.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 9, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the trump administration has made the h-1b process so bad that $WORK has expanded a satellite office in toronto just to hold all the software people who have been thrust into visa limbo after a bad renewal of an h-1b

the company's immigration lawyers are doing weekly workshops on the latest stupid bullshit. and there is new poo poo every week

to some extent the trump administration has cracked down on h-1b fraud, which is good. but they've also hosed with totally legitimate uses of the h-1b process, which is bad, and hurts people who are likely to be our most valuable citizens, and it just makes me crazy

:smith:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

under the current regime experience isn't enough anymore. they are now dotting i's and crossing t's in the visa process. since sometime in 2017, to get or renew an h1b, you need a relevant degree

you can still get hired and live in the usa using other visa classes. many large firms will hire you via a local subsidiary and move you to the states on an L-1 visa

the problem is that the h-1b is the only broadly available dual intent visa class. no matter how well you do on an L-1 visa, you can never become a permanent resident on an L-1 -- it is not an immigrant visa, ever. h-1b expressly allows you to immigrate, if you jump through enough hoops, which is why it's so desirable.

second easiest is the EB5, which requires you to make a business by scraping together a cool mil (half mil if you're willing to make a business in a shithole)

(go get the h1b, lol)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

second easiest is the EB5, which requires you to make a business by scraping together a cool mil (half mil if you're willing to make a business in a shithole)

(go get the h1b, lol)

o-1 is also a thing for technology people, believe it or not

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

o-1 is also a thing for technology people, believe it or not

you need national or international recognition for an o-1

"Evidence that the beneficiary has received a major, internationally-recognized award, such as a Nobel Prize"

so if you've got a turing award lying around, that would help, but otherwise lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jesus WEP posted:

these are extremely good passports for an h-1b

getting an h-1b, your passport doesn't matter pretty much at all. it is all about having enough documentation, the right degrees, and an employer willing to jump through hoops

after you have the h-1b, and you live in the united states, your passport determines how long you have to wait for a green card after a successful application. the current wait for an irish person is a year or two. chinese, about ten years. indian? fifty to one hundred years.

you may think it ridiculous to worry about getting permanent residency, but it's not. a very large fraction of the people who come to work in the united states "temporarily" find that they have fallen in love with their adopted country

the united states is a very good place to be a computer toucher, and it is genuinely tragic when L-1 visa holders have to go "home" against their will

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

you need national or international recognition for an o-1

"Evidence that the beneficiary has received a major, internationally-recognized award, such as a Nobel Prize"

so if you've got a turing award lying around, that would help, but otherwise lol

a nobel prize will close the deal without any effort, for sure, but the hurdle isn't that high

if you have your name on some solid-rear end work, and you've been routinely invited to speak at technology events in the united states, applying for an o-1 isn't totally out of the question

i know more than one o-1 holder and they are not famous enough in any industry that you would know their names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

this is the non-traitor-but-still-libertarian-dipshit mike flynn who died, but besides the durations being wrong (they've been getting longer) the process remains the same

note that if you're unmarried marrying an american citizen is really really quick compared to the other green card methods

also that trying to marry just for the green card will get you skullfucked by la migra

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 9, 2018