Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

track day bro! posted:

I've managed to hit a problem pretty quickly trying to do this. The installer launched from clover just stalls instantly, if I put it in verbose mode it seems to stop with the error 'RTC: Only Single Ram Bank (128 bytes)' anyone know what this means?

This is on an Asus x99 board with a 5820k and a Vega gpu.

Going to need a few more details. Is this a new install? Did you use unibeast? etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

redeyes posted:

Win 10 Enterprise is just as viable since you can control everything including updates. Get on board.

Win10 is a loving disaster. I'm intrigued by this "controlling updates" because it took me weeks of hacking at my LTSB install to get it to stop trying to update itself.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Going to need a few more details. Is this a new install? Did you use unibeast? etc.

Yeah this is a completely new install, I did use unibeast. Followed this guide for bios settings https://nickwoodhams.com/x99-hackintosh-guide-asus-bios-settings/ as my board is the MATX version of that one.

I did try and do it the clean way from instructions on r/hackintosh but for some reason it kept crapping out creating the usb installer using the createinstallmedia command on my macbook so I didn't get much further than that.

Edit: I wonder if it's a power management thing, looking at this guys build he's using a custom flashed bios?

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Nov 8, 2018

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The USB Installer part should be the easiest of it all, honestly. You're just using a Mac to do normal Mac things.

In any case, it looks like people used a RampoageDev guide to install OS X because you need to do something specific for x99 builds. The site is down, but luckily there's Wayback Machine. It doesn't have photos for certain things, but, just from skimming, it looks like it might just be Disk Utility screenshots. https://web.archive.org/web/20150317041333/http://www.rampagedev.com/?page_id=144

This guy has some tips on what to do if things go a bit haywire anywhere and how he's personally fixed them. https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/4l2dft/finally_successful_x99_hackintosh/

If this all works for you (if you manage to get the older OSes and install them fine) you should look up what people did with their X99 builds to upgrade to Cap, El Cap etc etc.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Should I start with El Cap? I've just done a clover install on a USB for High Sierra with the createinstallmedia command on my work machine. No idea why it was failing on my machine at home.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Eeek...man the X99 platform sounds rough. :v:

Curious scanning through the bios shots didn't see any vt-d (virtualization) field. Is that in there anywhere, because enable always causes problems.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

track day bro! posted:

Should I start with El Cap? I've just done a clover install on a USB for High Sierra with the createinstallmedia command on my work machine. No idea why it was failing on my machine at home.

It looks like the guide there uses Yosemite and Mavericks. You should start there just because the guide will probably tell you what things need to be configured specifically for those OSes. Once you're good on those, you can just creep back up to High Sierra or Mojave - just do basic searches like "x99 hackintosh upgrade yosemite to el cap" or ball out and see if there's one for Sierra, High Sierra, or Mojave.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, good advice. You just have to *ahem* find the install.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Eeek...man the X99 platform sounds rough. :v:

Curious scanning through the bios shots didn't see any vt-d (virtualization) field. Is that in there anywhere, because enable always causes problems.

It's there, it's just under some obscure advanced option that I can't remember. I have an Asus X99A2 and it took me quite a while to find the VT-D option.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

ratbert90 posted:

It's there, it's just under some obscure advanced option that I can't remember. I have an Asus X99A2 and it took me quite a while to find the VT-D option.

So have you stripped everything from it from besides one ram stick and the discrete GPU (maybe you have one).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

So have you stripped everything from it from besides one ram stick and the discrete GPU (maybe you have one).

I didn't.

My setup:
Asus X99A-2
i7-6800K
32GB DDR4
(2x)RX560

When I installed bare-metal, I had everything working on 10.13 with unibeast and clover.

Eventually I went with Fedora (I'm an embedded Linux Engineer) and GPU passthrough in a KVM for MacOS if I need it. My geekbench scores where around a 2017 corei5 imac. :shrug:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I found the vt-d option on my board but it was turned off because I ended up loading the optimised defaults. Probably doesn't help I'm using an Asus X99M WS board which means I'm probably the only person trying to do a hackintosh with it.

So it should be possible to do a clean install of 10.13, not sure if I'll try it tonight as I managed to catch a lovely cold and can't be bothered to gently caress around with stuff.

The KVM idea sounds cool but I don't think I have room for another gpu.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
The HS USB I made yesterday does get much further than the unibeast one, but now it looks like setup loads but I can only see a small portion of the screen?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

track day bro! posted:

The HS USB I made yesterday does get much further than the unibeast one, but now it looks like setup loads but I can only see a small portion of the screen?

What are you using GPU wise? Sounds like some progress at least...

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
It's an RX Vega 64, which I was hoping would be supported without any messing around haha.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

So does it have a iGPU on the MB you can use?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Nope Haswell-E doesn't come with an IGPU, but after searching around it looks like I need to inject another kext into the clover install to fix it. However I've got no clue how to do this or I'm just incredibly stupid.

So the idea is that you have to copy the specific kext into EFI\Clover\Kexts\Other but then I don't know how to get it to show up in clover configurator

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Nothing else to do, clover should just load all the kexts in the "other" directory automatically.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

So, any new found luck?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Haven't had a chance to mess with it. I'm going to try using the old 5770 from my mac pro at work (replaced it with an rx480) but I need to borrow an adapter because it only has DVI and mini-dp outputs.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

No problem, but that is another can of worms from what I've been reading in regards to HDMI output.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I mean the next step is to try the rx480, but that means taking apart my work computer

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
The tonymac guide mentions logging in to test Apple services, which got me wondering. Should I create a separate AppleID for hackintosh devices?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

The tonymac guide mentions logging in to test Apple services, which got me wondering. Should I create a separate AppleID for hackintosh devices?

People say that Apple can see if a serial is active on two devices and then ban the associated account from accessing their stuff, but I, like, don't really think they do that.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I've had my main Apple ID signed in to iMessage and iCloud since that's even been a thing and never had an issue.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is there any scuttlebutt about the webdriver? I don't mind using High Sierra, but it would be nice to upgrade.

eames
May 9, 2009

Rumors are that they are done and waiting for Apple's approval. :shrug:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/11/01/nvidia-comment-on-macos-mojave-drivers/
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1042279/?comment=5286813

there's also an ongoing topic here

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1042520/driver/-when-will-the-nvidia-web-drivers-be-released-for-macos-mojave-10-14-/49

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Well did an upgrade via appstore to 10.14.2 from .1. Went without a hitch. Then I thought, hell, let's update clover. Apparently that version of clover I went with deleted an .efi file and now system wouldn't boot. :v:

Anyways, was able to copy the aptio efi file using the shell and all is good. Learned a lot, shouldn't had to though.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Yeah, I ran into the same thing while upgrading Clover in preparation for upgrading High Sierra to Mojave
Basically they have deprecated the old OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi driver so if your system needs it you must select the newer AptioMemoryFix-64.efi driver for it to keep working after the upgrade. It's a VERY good idea to keep a spare USB pendrive around with a backup Clover installation on it so you can still get in to fix things when you mess up.

The relevant info is in https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/tickets/484/

Upgrading to Mojave went pretty smoothly otherwise, I replaced my gtx1080 with a PowerColor rx590 and so far everything is working great!

I was worried Mojave would break compatibility with my old MOTU firewire 828mk3 or ancient MIDI gear but everything still works with the old drivers.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yes, good to have to have a copy. The update of clover took me a little off guard.

Everytime I think I screwed up an install I was able to recover it. The HS was the big one. Mojave pretty much went without a hitch until the aptio fiasco.

Chugging away I guess.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Do we have any idea as to when Mojave will see Nvidia web driver support? Or have I already missed it?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Whenever Apple will sign it.

And since no Macs that support Mojave shipped with Nvidia, there's no reason for Apple to sign it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Craptacular! posted:

And since no Macs that support Mojave shipped with Nvidia, there's no reason for Apple to sign it.

Uh, the Late 2013 iMacs (21.5 and 27-inch) shipped with nVidia GTX 775M and 780M GPUs, and they support Mojave, though they're likely only running drivers tweaked by Apple themselves for compatibility.

I believe it's more accurate to say no Mac that Apple is currently selling ships with nVidia chips, so they can sit on it all they want.

They definitely don't give enough of a poo poo about the relatively small community that's still using PCIe-capable Macs.

Somewhere down the line, Apple might even give the finger to AMD/ATI as well, if their work on their own integrated GPU in the A12+ series bears enough fruit.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think anything that endangers Boot Camp or other Windows-on-your-Mac capabilities is unlikely. You have way too many ordinary people who have to boot up Windows even if they love OSX. My uncle just bought an Air and still loves the Mac, but his attorney job requires him to be able to use Windows for at least one program.

It's just easier to leave it to people who already know their way around DirectX.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Apple did make a brief push on external GPUs though even if the showcase was AMD's gear.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Craptacular! posted:

I think anything that endangers Boot Camp or other Windows-on-your-Mac capabilities is unlikely. You have way too many ordinary people who have to boot up Windows even if they love OSX. My uncle just bought an Air and still loves the Mac, but his attorney job requires him to be able to use Windows for at least one program.

Boot Camp is getting tougher to support properly as Apple departs more and more from standard PC motherboard architecture, and Apple doesn’t seem to have much enthusiasm for it. At some point they may decide that virtualization is good enough for use cases like your uncle’s.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BobHoward posted:

Boot Camp is getting tougher to support properly as Apple departs more and more from standard PC motherboard architecture, and Apple doesn’t seem to have much enthusiasm for it. At some point they may decide that virtualization is good enough for use cases like your uncle’s.

Don't think they have any choice if they are going to ARM like everyone thinks they will.

Somewhat related, those clever folks in the MacRumors forums discovered that during a Windows 10 install on Boot Camp, that Windows 10 actually writes a certificate into the EPROMs that normally hold the Mac's BootROM. Not sure how long Apple will hold the door open for that as that could potentially be an infection vector.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Binary Badger posted:

Don't think they have any choice if they are going to ARM like everyone thinks they will.

Somewhat related, those clever folks in the MacRumors forums discovered that during a Windows 10 install on Boot Camp, that Windows 10 actually writes a certificate into the EPROMs that normally hold the Mac's BootROM. Not sure how long Apple will hold the door open for that as that could potentially be an infection vector.
Windows 10 already runs on ARM.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Binary Badger posted:

What was the reasoning for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

What was the reasoning for this?

Most likely for licensing purposes.