Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Oh my goodness, that freaking episode!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Everything about the last bit of the episode was loving fantastic

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
A watch if you are a fan of the series

https://twitter.com/sammyguevara/status/1060379632703361024

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
WAY BARRAH in Lucha Underground! :allears:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

sticklefifer posted:

WAY BARRAH in Lucha Underground! :allears:

I did it, I marked! Partly because I saw the crooked ears of the silhouette and thought it was friggin' Ryback.

I think I liked Fenix/Dragon best, but all the matches were good if gimmicky and the closing video was a highlight as always. Dario's back baby!

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
Someone mind recapping the last half hour ish? My cable cut out. :(

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ghidzilla posted:

Mundo beats Matanza
Pentagon beats Marty for the belt
Vampiro and his master Hexagon Dark beat up Pentagon
Jack Swagger cashed in on Pentagon and won the belt

The season closing video:
Black Lotus rips out Matanza's heart
Possessed Taya beats up Mundo
Swagger beats up Dragon, takes the gauntlet, and presents it to Antonio Cueto, some other goons, and Wade Barrett
Aerostar putting the amulet on Dario in the coffin, bringing him back to life

Basically tripling down on Swagger, Barrett's in the company if/when they come back, hope you're ready for more VampiroVsPentagon!, Dario's back, and Matanza's dead

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Don't worry though, Hexagon Dark is also a white guy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Ghidzilla posted:

- Pentagon beats Marty the Moth for the title. He tries to break his arm, but Reclusa stops him. Vampiro runs in to help run her off. Afterwards, Vampiro hands Pentagon the title and right as Pentagon seems like he's going to show some respect, Vampiro attacks him. They fight each other until a new guy -- identified as Vampiro's master -- shows up to kick Pentagon's rear end with flippy poo poo. He noticeably dresses similar to Pentagon.

- Jake Strong shows up and says that Cueto allows him to cash in his Gift of the Gods title. He snaps Pentagon's ankle and wins via Pentagon passing out. Strong is the new champ.

- Aerostar convinces Johnny Mundo to give up the Gauntlet, as it will turn him into a possessed husk.

- Johnny meets with Taya in the locker room, but she holds him by the throat and makes it clear that she's not his wife, but a god.

- Aerostar, Dragon Azteca Jr. and Cuerno meet up about the Gauntlet. Cuerno wants it hidden away, but Azteca suggests using it now before it's too late. Aerostar says to do it quick.

- Black Lotus appears before Matanza, wearing the Gauntlet. She knows that he's the one responsible for her father's death, so she tears his heart out. She returns the Gauntlet to Azteca, with both feeling avenged. After she leaves, Jake Strong ambushes Azteca, snaps his ankle and starts slapping the Gauntlet across his chest while doing the "STRONG!" chant.

- In the limo, we see Vampiro's master, Papa Cueto, the guy who shot Dario and Jake Strong sitting together. The gods all now have human forms, though they lost Matanza. The cigar-smoking leader reveals himself as Wade Barrett and asks if there's any other bad news.

- A flashback shows that after Dario's funeral, Aerostar appears and puts the immortality medallion around Dario's neck. He wakes up confused and goes "What the f--" before the to be continue graphic.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Now I want a season 5. Season 4 admittedly dragged a bit, but I think it was mostly dragged down by external problems. Story wise, it is setting for the bleakest moment, and it would be an absolute bummer if it ended on what is the lowest note by design.
I will say that Strong as a villain makes absolute sense even in a meta perspective, but he absolutely needs to get his comeuppance.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LupusAter posted:

Now I want a season 5. Season 4 admittedly dragged a bit, but I think it was mostly dragged down by external problems. Story wise, it is setting for the bleakest moment, and it would be an absolute bummer if it ended on what is the lowest note by design.
I will say that Strong as a villain makes absolute sense even in a meta perspective, but he absolutely needs to get his comeuppance.

He sucks op

I absolutely laughed my rear end off at the dude chanting holy poo poo while looking utterly confused while Pentagon got jumped after the match.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 9, 2018

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
-Do we know that the skeleton samurai is named Hexagon Dark or is that just what people are calling him? I don't remember them naming him. Anyone know who he is?

-Johnny giving up the gauntlet because "nobody possesses this perfect body but ME" is the most Johnny reason ever to give up ultimate godlike powers.

-Looks like Reklusa's run was short and sweet. She didn't get to do much, but good for her for getting signed.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I did it, I marked! Partly because I saw the crooked ears of the silhouette and thought it was friggin' Ryback.
Hahaha that's so weird, before he started speaking in his Manc accent, my first thought was Ryback too. I have no idea why.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GORDONDARIO'S ALIVE!?! :woop:

I will watch season 5 if it happens now.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

So there has to be decent odds that PJ Black is secretly a mole for God Barrett.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

He should be on the show too

Ahahahhahahahahhahahahha

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

For real though this season was stupid as hell but Ultima Lucha was some great popcorn fun. It didn't have MOTY material like Hell of War or career defining moments like Cero Miedo 1, but I had a hell of a lot of fun.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I never lost faith in the thread title

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Vampy is Vampy but

luchacentral.com/vampiro-lucha-undergrounds-5th-season-is-already-being-worked-on

quote:

A press conference held to announce AAA’s first two shows of 2019 may have turned into an official announcement for the future of Lucha Underground. At the start of the presser, lucha libre legend and LU commentator Vampiro seemed to confirm that LU’s fifth season was a go, telling the press that it was already being worked on. That may have fallen through the cracks if things had been left at that but when asked about it later Vamp went further into detail, assuring everyone that Lucha Underground’s fifth season would happen, that the show would be bringing in more talent from AAA (a frequent complaint of many fans in the fourth season) and, perhaps most interestingly, that the show would be returning with a new look. He did not, however, announce a date for when the new season would begin.

To say this comes as a shock is an understatement. News on a fifth season of Lucha Underground has gone cold ever since season four wrapped up with an excellent Ultima Lucha IV on November 7th, with the only recent LU news being their removal from Netflix and the unexpected revelation of the first three seasons being available on DVD. During an interview with the Masks, Mats and Mayhem podcast around Ultima Lucha IV, executive producer Eric Van Wagenen suggested the wait for a season five may be a bit as LU looked to secure funds from outside investors in order to up the budget from season four. What makes this newsworthy is that these statements come from Vampiro, someone high up the LU food chain. In addition to serving as color commentator and one of the backstage agents for the show, Vamp has also been LU’s head of talent relations for the last year and a half. If nothing else, his statements today off assurances that a season five will be appearing eventually.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ivelisse

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Does this company just suck now?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Animal-Mother posted:

Does this company just suck now?

Creatively questionable, since they are avoiding the end of their story.

They have been assholes with contracts for a long time.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

King Cuerno
http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/lucha-underground-king-cuerno-dispute/#.XFtb4M9KjOQ

Cuerno's lawyer posted:

Lucha Underground launched in 2014, a time when there was not a lot of options in the United States in the professional wrestling industry.

Though it is a violation of California law, all of the contracts offered by Defendants contained restrictions that prohibited the professional wrestlers from engaging in their lawful profession.

Since the creation of Lucha Underground, the professional wrestling has improved, and legitimate professional wrestling organizations started offering competitive contracts that did not exist when Lucha Underground was launching.

Specifically, Ring of Honor (ROH) wrestling is offering better contracts than where being offered in 2014. Ring of Honor is a highly respected legitimate wrestling company owed by Sinclair broadcasting. Contracts offered by ROH allow wrestlers to make a living wage.

A new wrestling company, All Elite Wrestling, is owned by a billionaire businessmen Shahid Khan and Tony Khan. They are offering top dollar contracts that allow wrestlers to make a good living working on a full time basis as professional wrestlers and attracting top talent – including talent from the WWE.

WWE is the king of the wrestling industry, and has been for decades. They have shown heightened interest in wrestlers currently working with Lucha Underground, partly due to the new competition posed by All Elite Wrestling and some of their biggest stars looking to jump from WWE to All Elite Wrestling. WWE wrestlers are well paid.

Finally, Impact Wrestling, often considered the #2 company over the last decade, recently was purchased by a Canadian company. The change in ownership has opened up opportunities that did not exist in 2014. Impact Wrestling wrestlers are well paid.

quote:

By contrast, Lucha Underground broadcasts between 22 and 40 television episodes per year, with no live events like the other described wrestling promotions. If a wrestler appears on a show, it is usually just a couple. The payment per episode is usually less than $1,000.

The current contract that wrestlers signed with Lucha Underground require that wrestlers not perform services for other wrestling companies anywhere in the world without Defendants permission, but does not require Defendants to use Plaintiffs in their wrestling-theme television show.

While Plaintiffs are obligated to restrict their trade under the contract (which is illegal), Defendants are not required to use or pay Plaintiffs. Defendants have the option to use Plaintiffs, and IF Defendants use Plaintiffs, Defendants will pay Plaintiffs. IF Defendants chose not to use Plaintiffs, Plaintiffs are prohibited for working for years, are not paid, but still under the restrictive contract until it expires.

Most wrestlers under a Lucha Underground contract make less than $4,000 a year. Wrestlers working for other wrestling promotions make a living wage, usually starting around $50,000 a year and entering either 6 or 7 figures.

Pro Wrestling Sheet posted:

Cuerno claims he’s lost out on thousands of dollars because of this — as well as talks falling through with a company because of his contract — so he wants El Rey and Baba-G to pay up for putative and actual damages.

As you may recall, Ivelisse also recently spoke out against her contract with the company.

Cuerno’s attorney told LuchaCentral.com that there’s another lawsuit his office filed as “a class action to invalidate certain portions of their contracts that we believe are illegal.” The lawyer says there are several wrestlers that have signed onto that lawsuit and others requesting to join.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

King Cuerno is way too good to be left sitting on the sidelines, this sucks.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/CultIcon/status/1093281748421615617

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

That's pretty nuts considering the contracts are held by an LLC run by the Roldáns. The Roldáns also run AAA and King Cuerno/Hijo de Fantasma works for them. I wonder if this means he's going to leave AAA too?

Basically, don't do business with AAA/The Roldáns

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

King Cuerno is way too good to be left sitting on the sidelines, this sucks.

Isn't he one of the few Mexican talents who speaks english?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Isn't he one of the few Mexican talents who speaks english?

Perfect English, as far as I can tell from the Observer interview he did.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
And for some reason LU didn't let him talk for like 3 seasons

I hope Fantasmo wins and gets to be King Cuerno everywhere he goes because that gimmick loving rules

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Benne posted:

And for some reason LU didn't let him talk for like 3 seasons

I hope Fantasmo wins and gets to be King Cuerno everywhere he goes because that gimmick loving rules

I think they could probably claim intellectual property on the Cuerno gimmick

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Hijo de Fantasma is a criminally underutilized talent thanks to the pieces of poo poo at AAA

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

LU isn't even a real wrestling company so I don't see how they could enforce those contracts. But most wrestling companies don't have the resources or the interest in fighting a legal battle.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/maskedrepublic/status/1093331431198142464
https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1093527468647112706

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

$300 for the Bucks? WTF? Admittedly money-wise the Bucks only really exploded in the last few years, but even back during the time of the first LU tapings they'd probably have earned more money from selling merchandise at a podunk indy show than working a single episode of LU.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Germansimp posted:

$300 for the Bucks? WTF? Admittedly money-wise the Bucks only really exploded in the last few years, but even back during the time of the first LU tapings they'd probably have earned more money from selling merchandise at a podunk indy show than working a single episode of LU.

https://twitter.com/NickJacksonYB/s...-underground%2F

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/CultIcon/status/1095466969804038144

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Was last used in 2016 yet hasn't been released

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Rush and Taven doing a lucha brawl for the MSG match would be far more interesting than any of the ROH title matches since Lethal-Briscoe title vs title

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Wow, I thought Texano had already been released since he didn't appear in the latest season. That sucks to hear.

So I think it's pretty fair to say that Lucha Underground is dead now. Even if they secure funding I can't imagine anyone wanting to work there.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Wow, I thought Texano had already been released since he didn't appear in the latest season. That sucks to hear.

So I think it's pretty fair to say that Lucha Underground is dead now. Even if they secure funding I can't imagine anyone wanting to work there.

Well, luckily for LU they have plenty of wrestlers who legally are required to be there, whether they want to work there or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The Senator Giroux posted:

Well, luckily for LU they have plenty of wrestlers who legally are required to be there, whether they want to work there or not.

which always makes for great matches