Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Got a couple salads to store at work for the next couple days. A dude infront of my bought a chicken bake with...a side of sauerkraut. :stare:

Also watched two retired chud boomers get into an argument while in line. lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ElGroucho posted:

If you all get yourselves a Costco LG TV, do yourself a favor and set that poo poo to "Game" mode so that movies don't look like soap operas

Same,.except my Samsung TV.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

ElGroucho posted:

If you all get yourselves a Costco LG TV, do yourself a favor and set that poo poo to "Game" mode so that movies don't look like soap operas

Which LG tv is that?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I buy the Kirkland XO cognac (~$48-50) fairly often these days. It's comparable to $75-90 bottles of XO from the bigger names. I haven't yet had the nerve to get the small batch XOs from California, or the real good stuff from France, but it's great and delicious for the price.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
anyone got costco red wine recommendations? cabernet sauvignon, zinfandel, pinot noir, that sort of thing. or bordeaux blends whatever. i'm on a red wine kick lately

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The Costco Malbec is real good

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

DELETE CASCADE posted:

anyone got costco red wine recommendations? cabernet sauvignon, zinfandel, pinot noir, that sort of thing. or bordeaux blends whatever. i'm on a red wine kick lately

Sometimes you can get the Ruffino Ducale Chianti Classico Riserva at the Co for like $12 (normally closer to $20-24 in a regular shop) and it is hella good.

You can also get some capicola from time to time in the cured meats packs and have a hell of a weekend.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

DELETE CASCADE posted:

(Almost) every single one of the Kirkland California reds is a great everyday red - the Napa Valley PN in particular. The Kirkland Zin is also top tier.

Above and beyond that, the selection will be pretty regional. We don't get a lot of the specialty liquor in Iowa because it goes unsold, but the stuff distributed nationally is all great value.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

The Slack Lagoon posted:

The Costco Malbec is real good

Seconding this. Good taste for the price.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
When I was doing wine tastings for the wedding (aka getting fuckin drunk) I bought a bottle of some red blend from costco. I can't remember the name, but it was 100% Kirkland branded. It got great reviews from the fam! Can't go wrong with a liter of wine for like $10 USD yo

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Olanphonia posted:

Seconding this. Good taste for the price.

Going out to see if they have any cheap flannel shirts and poo poo today gonna try the Malbec

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

DELETE CASCADE posted:

My wife gets the Apothic Reds and one called Menage a trois red she really likes.

http://www.menageatroiswines.com/

https://www.apothic.com/

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
We got all of our wedding wine from Costco. The top brands were Menage a Trois and Bogle IIRC

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I got the chicken bake, that was a weird loving food

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I feel obligated to try it but I dont expect to like it

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yeah, I like it but it definitely needs a different "sauce" other than the caesar one.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

GORDON posted:

Same,.except my Samsung TV.

:same:

El Jebus posted:

I buy the Kirkland XO cognac (~$48-50) fairly often these days. It's comparable to $75-90 bottles of XO from the bigger names. I haven't yet had the nerve to get the small batch XOs from California, or the real good stuff from France, but it's great and delicious for the price.

What's a good drink to make with the Stco Kirk Cogn?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

shovelbum posted:

I got the chicken bake, that was a weird loving food

You're weird loving food!

*cries delicious Cesar dressing tears*

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

poisonpill posted:

My favorite is "cognac in a glass". You open the bottle, pour some cognac in a snifter style glass if you have one, any other glass if you don't, and then sip gently.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Another classic is "cognac from the bottle" where you open it and slam some down your pathetic maw.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

THINKING ABOUT THAT DOG

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
When I first bartended in NY I was surprised and horrified to find out that Henny and Coke and Henny and Cranberry are normal (black guy in a night club) drinks there.

There's a drink called a Sidecar that uses cognac/brandy (it's the usual liquor + orange liqueur + lemon or lime juice thing that every hard liquor has variant on) but other than that usually you drink brandy neat.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

poisonpill posted:

Generally, cognac is for sippin, regular brandy is for mixin'. But hey, Cognac is still brandy, so you could make a fancypants version of any brandy cocktail I suppose. B&B, brandy Alexander, sidecar...

Now that I think about it, a Tom & Jerry with 'stco Cognac would probably be awesome.

Or you can go full Brit and make a very expensive brandy & coke.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

raton posted:

When I first bartended in NY I was surprised and horrified to find out that Henny and Coke and Henny and Cranberry are normal (black guy in a night club) drinks there.

There's a drink called a Sidecar that uses cognac/brandy (it's the usual liquor + orange liqueur + lemon or lime juice thing that every hard liquor has variant on) but other than that usually you drink brandy neat.

Now that I think about it, my mother likes her Old Fashioned with VSOP. So XO would just be more expensive but also maybe higher quality? Really though, it's the VS/VSOP/XO is similar to Silver/Reposado/And for tequila. Sip that expensive stuff and if you want to make mixed drinks, buy the lessers.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yeah, I like it but it definitely needs a different "sauce" other than the caesar one.

Even something simple like bechamel would be better.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There are very nice brandies too, the cognac region doesn't have a lock on quality grape whiskey

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

El Jebus posted:

Now that I think about it, my mother likes her Old Fashioned with VSOP. So XO would just be more expensive but also maybe higher quality? Really though, it's the VS/VSOP/XO is similar to Silver/Reposado/And for tequila. Sip that expensive stuff and if you want to make mixed drinks, buy the lessers.

You could sub cognac or brandy in for the whiskey in any whiskey cocktail really but with the price points it usually doesn't make sense to mix cognac with anything

It's not quite the same as silver/reposado/anejo because a VS cognac is already dark and wooded up whereas a silver tequila is not but whatever

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Big Grunty Secret posted:

We got all of our wedding wine from Costco. The top brands were Menage a Trois and Bogle IIRC

I read somewhere that Costco is the single largest wine buyer on planet earth so all the top brands are constantly begging for the mighty 'Cos attentions/shelf space

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I read somewhere that Costco is the single largest wine buyer on planet earth so all the top brands are constantly begging for the mighty 'Cos attentions/shelf space

It's like that with any large retailer though, getting your wine into Target or Walmart or Costco or one of the major grocery store chains involves a lot of work and probably razor thin margins on your behalf etc, but I saw the same thing you did at one point so maybe Costco has that going on more than most

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Cognac is for sipping, not mixing. That's what brandy is for. But if you want to mix it, you should try a New Classic - one part cognac, two parts Red Bull, splash of tart cranberry juice, add lime. Delicious!

I'm going to an open bar event tomorrow and I might get a couple of Henny and cokes or New Classics. I don't mind mixing cognac when someone else is paying :cheers:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You can mix cognac or brandy if you want, but any time you're thinking of mixing a 40 or so dollar bottle of booze there's probably a 20 dollar one that would do just as well

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

It does work just fine in a sidecar, but it's a little overkill for mixing.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I object to adding red bull to any drink. Even Mad Dog tastes better on its own.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
:stare:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

I feel obligated to try it but I dont expect to like it

The bread is really good but it needs more/different sauce in it

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I'm really tempted to buy one

naem
May 29, 2011

are there chefs whose whole job is to slice that properly

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

are there chefs whose whole job is to slice that properly

Yeah but they're Spaniards so "properly" is pretty forgiving

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

raton posted:

Yeah but they're Spaniards so "properly" is pretty forgiving

it's actually really, really not. you're supposed to cut paper-thin cuz... $100 food cost...

quote:

cognac chat

i used to take two glasses, separately fill one (smaller) glass with cognac, fill the other with coca-cola, and then alternate sips from the unmixed two glasses

i actually used to do that with a lotta liquor / mixer combos. best one: iron bru and laphroaig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I wish they sold iron Bru at Costco