Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I am the walrus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Like Lenin said!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
We are the egg man.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If you didn't hide in a clothing rack as a kid because you were bored did you even really have a childhood?

Hell, I'm 44 and whenever my husband drags me to Jo-Ann Fabrics, it's all I can do to keep from trying to burrow into the bolts of crushed velvet or faux fur.
(No, I'm not a furry, I just have memories of being a bored tomboy growing up kinda poor in the 70s/80s when my mom sewed my own clothes for me. Yeah, real interested in that flowery print you picked out for my Easter dress, mom. I'm gonna go explore.)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Jo-Ann just reminds me of standing around bored(and occassionally checking out the dumbest patterns of fabric) whenever my mom would pick up sewing supplies.

I appreciated her making my halloween costumes and being able to fix stuff easily, but sewing stores still make my eyes glaze over out of reflex.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Wait really? Cause I was a horrible tomboy that got dragged to Jo-Ann daily by my mother and it just turned me into a quilter. Thanks to a lifetime of endless sewing, crafting and quilting classes I can spend whole paychecks at any craft store because I drank the Flavorade and I lust for ways to afford my hideous sewing budget. Spend too many hours in a Jo-Ann, Hobby Lobby or Michael's and you just give in and start creating. God help me I teach classes now. I hope craft stores all die. I'm going broke.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol that Onion TJ Maxx article posted a few pages ago hit way too close to home. All of it is so true, coming from a former store manager

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I hated the craft store for a long time, I have no idea why but I think I flipped as a teen and started to develop irony.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fizzymercy posted:

Wait really? Cause I was a horrible tomboy that got dragged to Jo-Ann daily by my mother and it just turned me into a quilter. Thanks to a lifetime of endless sewing, crafting and quilting classes I can spend whole paychecks at any craft store because I drank the Flavorade and I lust for ways to afford my hideous sewing budget. Spend too many hours in a Jo-Ann, Hobby Lobby or Michael's and you just give in and start creating. God help me I teach classes now. I hope craft stores all die. I'm going broke.

Im just gonna preemptively tell you to finish that baby quilt you promised that person before their child is able to drive

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
:smith: Ow. Too real.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Im just gonna preemptively tell you to finish that baby quilt you promised that person before their child is able to drive

I've had more than one customer come in with a unfinished quilt that's now going to the baby of the baby it started for.

Also one wedding quit that should be done in time for the 25th anniversary party.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

fizzymercy posted:

Oh I love me some crafts; put me in an AC Moore or Michaels (or if there's any old NYC/LI goons in the house, Pearl) and I'll easily blow way too much time and money if left unchecked. Jo-Ann is actually pretty cool on that front now --- in fact I just made an awesome set of earrings from a tiny set of silverware in the scrapbooking section. But back in the day it was nothing but fabric that meant I was gonna have to wear an itchy, girly dress to church. And I never did get into sewing or knitting, my brain just has a dead spot when it comes to textile arts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably depends on whether your parent in question actually makes the slightest effort to get you involved in it or just drags you around like luggage.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I sew like a demon, I’ve made baby quilts for babies before they were born, and even I hate JoAnns. Ours is a tiny broken trash pit with one person working it and if it’s the one lady, she hates me personally and I will NOT be using my coupons today. Fabric.com 4lyfe

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
They don't think lethargy be like it is, but it do.

red sampson
Oct 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Sears is closing a store here. The Mall has one less.

Soon it will be JCPennys and some weird headshop stores left in the mall.

The only operating "food court business" is literally a hotdog cart.

How does a mall operate with like 95% of the stores closed. Is it a new kind of mafia front or something?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

red sampson posted:

How does a mall operate with like 95% of the stores closed. Is it a new kind of mafia front or something?

Whoever actually owns the mall is making enough rent to keep the lights on I guess. Though speaking of mafia, the gourmet popcorn store that took up an entire bay of the food court has finally closed down at my mall, leaving behind all their gear and a mini fridge full of cokes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

red sampson posted:

If you've ever watched the Dead Mall series on YouTube, you would be surprised how common it is. Dan Bell frequently goes to malls that have 3-4 stores open in a mall that should have like 80 storefronts.

It takes a surprisingly long time to close these places. Several of the dying malls he has put on his series are still hanging on.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You figure that mall owners would lower their rent to encourage some new shops in their mall since some rent is better than no rent but :capitalism:.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

You figure that mall owners would lower their rent to encourage some new shops in their mall since some rent is better than no rent but :capitalism:.
Nope, they always hold out the idea that one large tenant will just appear over the horizon or whatever. At least in some cases mall owners have converted malls into multipurpose buildings, like parts of college campuses.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

red sampson posted:

Looks like that's one of 40 more that Sears is closing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The places that are willing to set up shop basically anywhere I imagine malls might not want as there are certain things that basically say "this mall will die soon." Once the dregs start showing up you know it's over. Of course malls are just dying overall for a lot of reasons. There just isn't enough money in department stores to have a traditional mall like what used to exist anymore. Another very big snag is that if you cut one tenant's rent to get a new store in then every store is going to demand a rent reduction which might not be viable. Really, malls are just kind of hosed.

There's also the possibility that nobody wants to open a store in a mall given how many of them are dying.

Of course inexpensive anything will attract those people and so much of American business is "lol gently caress the poors only cater to the not poors."

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
The Chrysler headquarters are in a mall.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The most important thing I have learned about dying malls is that GNC and Bath and Body Works are the last stores to go.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Most malls are owned by a small handful of companies. As long as they’re making profits at other locations, the dead malls are a tax write off.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Of course malls are just dying overall for a lot of reasons. There just isn't enough money in department stores to have a traditional mall like what used to exist anymore.
Plus we have a shitload more malls than we could ever reasonably need, between online shopping becoming a thing and most people not having as much money to blow on department store poo poo/clothes as they used to.

Near where I live, there are three malls within thirty minutes of each other. That goes up to at least 6 malls if you expand that to what's within an hour of each other. That's bonkers, even after considering the population density here. You could get rid of half the malls and nothing of value would be lost.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The most important thing I have learned about dying malls is that GNC and Bath and Body Works are the last stores to go.
Don't forget the shady cell phone repair places.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
When OSH closed I intended to switch to ACE, but they were kind of mean to me so now I guess I just won't do things.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

You could get rid of half all the malls and nothing of value would be lost.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Detective No. 27 posted:

This is totally true, but a few malls have actually gone ahead and finally lowered the rent and it's actually made these places pretty cool, lots of local businesses and small chains mixed in with the big chains that thrive in the mall.

Okay, half those local businesses are vape places but hey it's got the young people back in.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The zombie mall in my town mostly survives by renting out its parking garage.

I wonder how long until they just tear out the interior walls and just convert it all to parking.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Haifisch posted:

Don't forget the shady cell phone repair places.

So what's the ruling on my city's mall, where the GNC closed, but the shady cell repair kiosk expanded into a larger custom kiosk?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I imagine someone could make a lot of money turning a dead mall into a marijuana emporium.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

totalnewbie posted:

The Chrysler headquarters are in a mall.
The secretary of state office in Marquette, MI is in a mall there, and it's like one of three places that are actually open in that place. It's vaguely post-apocalyptic to walk around there and see all the empty storefronts with no sign or a sign from a place you know went out of business 5+ years ago.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Shifty Nipples posted:

I imagine someone could make a lot of money turning a dead mall into a marijuana emporium.

the food court would need to hire tons of people

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Both the malls on my town are all bit abandoned, but the one in the next town over is packed every drat day, no empty store space, bustling food court (probably because of the movie theater), and filled entirely with all the mall stores I remember from the 90s and early aughts. It's like going back in time.

The first time I went into the Sears it took me forever to find an employee and I straight up couldn't find anyone the most recent visit, so good shoplifting opportunities for any enterprising criminals who want to try their hand at selling stolen luggage and appliances I guess.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

When The Big Mall in my hometown of Syracuse, NY finally died, it got bought/leased by a car dealership. Which is a brilliant move on their part --- plenty of pre-existing lot space, plus all that massive interior square footage for showroom. In a city where it snows six months out the year, in amounts measured in feet, you can actually shop for a car indoors, where it's warm and dry. I'm sure potential customers are gonna linger more there and listen to a sales pitch than in an outdoor lot that's 20 degrees and full of slush.

They rent out the second floor space to business offices, small churches, etc. Pretty good set-up they've got going.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

JacquelineDempsey posted:

When The Big Mall in my hometown of Syracuse, NY finally died, it got bought/leased by a car dealership. Which is a brilliant move on their part --- plenty of pre-existing lot space, plus all that massive interior square footage for showroom. In a city where it snows six months out the year, in amounts measured in feet, you can actually shop for a car indoors, where it's warm and dry. I'm sure potential customers are gonna linger more there and listen to a sales pitch than in an outdoor lot that's 20 degrees and full of slush.

They rent out the second floor space to business offices, small churches, etc. Pretty good set-up they've got going.

Indoor test drive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e7R3y-qwZ0&t=53s

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Acute Grill posted:

Both the malls on my town are all bit abandoned, but the one in the next town over is packed every drat day, no empty store space, bustling food court (probably because of the movie theater), and filled entirely with all the mall stores I remember from the 90s and early aughts. It's like going back in time.

The first time I went into the Sears it took me forever to find an employee and I straight up couldn't find anyone the most recent visit, so good shoplifting opportunities for any enterprising criminals who want to try their hand at selling stolen luggage and appliances I guess.

Is there anything else to do in the next town over? I feel like a lot of malls way out in the burbs are still hopping because the populace is still a lot of affluent suburbanites, and there's nowhere else to go to spend their money.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
All of our malls are doing surprisingly well.

But I think they’re being supported almost exclusively by Apple stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

JacquelineDempsey posted:

When The Big Mall in my hometown of Syracuse, NY finally died, it got bought/leased by a car dealership. Which is a brilliant move on their part --- plenty of pre-existing lot space, plus all that massive interior square footage for showroom.

New Oldsmobiles are in early this year.