Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

There's your problem!

My VW acts all stuttery sometimes. Pretty sure it's the fuel injectors as they've gone through like six revisions and people still complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Uthor posted:

There's your problem!

My VW acts all stuttery sometimes. Pretty sure it's the fuel injectors as they've gone through like six revisions and people still complain.

Ha!

To be honest I think it's just me being overly "attentive". But speaking of air filters. PO has some K&N equivalent put into it, but I'm kinda suspicious toward those after market filters. Worth swapping back to stock, perhaps? Especially if they mess with low end performance and or engine management.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Any way to take out scratches in a windshield? They aren’t too deep, but I put probably a dozen or so on it. Got caught without my ice scraper. :-/

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

nitsuga posted:

Any way to take out scratches in a windshield? They aren’t too deep, but I put probably a dozen or so on it. Got caught without my ice scraper. :-/

Something like this, maybe.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Uthor posted:

There's your problem!

My girlfriend has a 2016 GLI, and the thing carbons up pretty bad in pretty short order. Getting it up to operating temperature and then running it up through the gears a couple times makes amusing clouds of smoke, and then it starts running properly again.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

MrYenko posted:

My girlfriend has a 2016 GLI, and the thing carbons up pretty bad in pretty short order. Getting it up to operating temperature and then running it up through the gears a couple times makes amusing clouds of smoke, and then it starts running properly again.

My first car was "granny-driven" by the PO and his family. After I've had it for a while and drive more spiritedly it certainly became less sluggish. Part of it was obviously the ECU adapting, but being a Mitsubishi GDI engine that carbons up in 2 seconds of driving, I think the harder driving had something to do it. It had 120hp, so "had to" (i.e being 18 years old, why wouldn't you) gun it when pulling out on the main road from a stop.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

What methods do you guys use to free up seized brake pistons in calipers? I've tried compressed air and heating and a combination of both, but the last piston refuses to come out.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Grakkus posted:

What methods do you guys use to free up seized brake pistons in calipers? I've tried compressed air and heating and a combination of both, but the last piston refuses to come out.

Plug the inlet hole with a bolt, loosen the bleeder nipple, then attach a grease gun to the bleeder and pump it full of grease. Messy but effective.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
Just a quick question for the thread. I own a 2005 Saturn Ion coupe (with the suicide doors). I just got my recalls fixed, ignition and power steering. On the inspection report, they said my rear brake shoes were at 4mm, at the low end of "ok" territory. I just replaced my front pads and rotors last week. So how long should I wait to replace the shoes and/or drums on my car? I drive about 50mi a day to and from work, mostly highway with little braking. Also, my car's a stick, so I mostly coast and downshift (while rev-matching). So when should I replace the rear shoes? Also, car has about 50,000 miles on it.

TL;DR Rear brake shoes at 4mm, when replace?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Rear brakes only do a fraction of the overall braking effort, and drum shoes tend to wear at a very slow rate.

Every car I've ever owned that was equipped with rear drums made it past 100,000 on the factory shoes. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Dagen H posted:

Plug the inlet hole with a bolt, loosen the bleeder nipple, then attach a grease gun to the bleeder and pump it full of grease. Messy but effective.

I've always pumped the grease through the inlet, my grease gun is too big to fit in the bleeder threads

E: as always, watch your hands, those pistons fly out quickly

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 9, 2018

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

The Door Frame posted:

I've always pumped the grease through the inlet, my grease gun is too big to fit in the bleeder threads

Clip the nozzle onto the bleeder screw like you would a zerk fitting.

The Door Frame posted:

E: as always, watch your hands, those pistons fly out quickly

Very much this.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Dagen H posted:

Thanks - how do you get all the grease back out again? Won't any residual grease muck up the system?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yes you'll want to clear the grease out. Could try compressed air if you want less grease to clean up.

Brake cleaner should clean it up no problem.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yes you'll want to clear the grease out. Could try compressed air if you want less grease to clean up.

Brake cleaner should clean it up no problem.

It's not exactly EPA approved, but I used a pressure washer on low to get the grease out of my rear caliper because it was stuck behind the handbrake mechanism and I couldn't figure out how to disassemble it without risking damage to a caliper that was twice my age.
Engine degreaser can help for a soak, but be prepared for using LOTS of brake clean

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So I recently was unable to get my 05 civic EX aligned for a slew of reasons that I was able to take care of, all except for one thing, the front right upper control arm, I've searched everywhere I can think, ebay, craigs, autozone/advanced/oreily's.com/rock auto, can't even seem to get a picture of the part, let alone actually buy it.

The only listing I've seen are on ebay, there's about 3 auctions for an "upper front passenger control arm" but the picture is that of a lower control arm (my brother in law and I recently replaced the FR lower control arm and I have the old part sitting right next to me for confirmation)

My question is, to anyone familiar with this car, does this part exist? should I look for it under a different name? is it just the exact same part as a lower control arm?

lower: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Lowe...1a37:rk:16:pf:0

"upper": https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Uppe...BGA3:rk:25:pf:0

Thanks in advanced while I continue to investigate this.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 9, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Isn't an '05 Civic a Macpherson strut front end?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Isn't an '05 Civic a Macpherson strut front end?

It most certainly is

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Looks like it yea, it's a big piston with a spring

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Str...5KMDEEFEV4P331N

Based on diagrams I'm not even seeing one, it's literally strut, frame, lower CA, steering link, I'm really not sure what this mechanic is on about, I talked about the lower control arm and he was like naw that is good, I'm already replacing the strut, and all the tie rods, sway bar, lower ball joint.

print out says part no. ipc5cb60073, but I can't see to find anything relevant by searching for this number.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 9, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Same mechanic that can't align it is trying to sell you the part? I'd go somewhere else. For whatever reason there seems to be a lot of slimy alignment shops out there that manage to find "something" to say you can't possibly align it like "this".

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I would be comparing the parts rockauto has with the parts that exist in the current, functional car, they're not gonna just not have something like that.

Yesterday I noticed this is broken on my van:

The piece inside the filler door that the actual filler hose is attached to. What even is that CALLED that I can google up a replacement part for? I always assumed it was sheet metal but turns out no, lol plastic bullshit.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Filler neck?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Isn't that the physical tube you put the nozzle into and vomit gas down? That's intact, the broken thing is just like what held the tube and nozzle area in place.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The mounting flange is part of the filler neck.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Apparently not on rockauto

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4937916&cc=1073685&jsn=503

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Do I need to worry about Galvanic corrosion or whatever the gently caress happens between two dissimilar metals if I'm just trying to bolt two pieces of aluminum together?

I need to make something taller by about an inch, its probably about 1/4" wall 4x4" aluminum box and I was just planning on nut and bolting an ~inch thick slab of aluminum to the bottom of it with regular steel (probably zinc plated) bolts of appropriate lengths. Counter sunk because they need to sit flatish.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Javid, you really should start a thread.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

One Nut Wonder posted:

Just a quick question for the thread. I own a 2005 Saturn Ion coupe (with the suicide doors). I just got my recalls fixed, ignition and power steering. On the inspection report, they said my rear brake shoes were at 4mm, at the low end of "ok" territory. I just replaced my front pads and rotors last week. So how long should I wait to replace the shoes and/or drums on my car? I drive about 50mi a day to and from work, mostly highway with little braking. Also, my car's a stick, so I mostly coast and downshift (while rev-matching). So when should I replace the rear shoes? Also, car has about 50,000 miles on it.

TL;DR Rear brake shoes at 4mm, when replace?

I've owned two Ions, both coupes, both stick. One made it to 206k on the original rear shoes. The other has 158k.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

Do I need to worry about Galvanic corrosion or whatever the gently caress happens between two dissimilar metals if I'm just trying to bolt two pieces of aluminum together?

I need to make something taller by about an inch, its probably about 1/4" wall 4x4" aluminum box and I was just planning on nut and bolting an ~inch thick slab of aluminum to the bottom of it with regular steel (probably zinc plated) bolts of appropriate lengths. Counter sunk because they need to sit flatish.

It's already something with aluminum and steel bolts right? Why would adding some aluminum change that?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

spankmeister posted:

It's already something with aluminum and steel bolts right? Why would adding some aluminum change that?

A welded aluminum piece. Not worried about al+al, more the steel bolts + aluminum.
Its got to hold a fair bit of weight from a moving object, I just want to make sure either the bolts don't corrode excessively or the thinner aluminum part doesn't corrode and the bolts/al slab pull out through the holes or some poo poo.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So last week I pulled the malfunctioning and (i thought) useless ABS module out of the crown vic, to either see about poking at the circuitboard to find an obvious problem, or just look up the part number for a replacement. In that time I've been driving it with the module out with no problems.

Last night, CEL came on and the car wouldn't stay in gear, had to pull over and get a tow. Code was a P062C, which google says is for the vehicle speed sensor.

Any chance I'm a dumbass and these two things are related? Could pulling even a non-op ABS module gently caress with the VSS signal? Or is it just a coincidence?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
My wife's tires stil have tread on them, but they are slipping a lot, and since we'r bought the car used in August I am guessing they ste just old and need to be replaced. We also have a set of near-new studless snow tires in the garage, mounted and ready to go. We'r live in Oregon and the windows are icing up in the mornings but daytime high temps are still in the upper 40s and 50s. Is it too soon to switch?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Your winter tires will be fine.

Even if they're not, I'd rather put up with a bit of extra wear instead of no traction.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Uthor posted:

Your winter tires will be fine.

Even if they're not, I'd rather put up with a bit of extra wear instead of no traction.

That was my thought too, but I wan't sure how much worse it would be. Mostly I don't want my wife crashing on her way to work. Thanks.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I use them from late November until late March or early April in central IL. Little snow, plenty of 60+ days at either end. A set lasts me 5-6 years, I'd say.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Geoj posted:

Rear brakes only do a fraction of the overall braking effort, and drum shoes tend to wear at a very slow rate.

Every car I've ever owned that was equipped with rear drums made it past 100,000 on the factory shoes. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Modern brake bias is not what once was. The rears do a lot more of the work these days...I'm not sure when this started happening, though, so I don't know how an '05 is going to wear. A set of shoes is going to be about $30, so I'd probably just do it if there's a question.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It seems like the ones that burn through rear pads more quickly are the ones that have rear discs with comically tiny pads. Even the parking brake shoes (drum in hat) on my WJ and CRV are bigger than some of the rear disc pads I've seen.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I just had the rear disc pads on my Mazda 3 (2015) replaced and they were pretty thin. Front discs still have like 7mm on them.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
My 87 Volvo 240dl is leaking oil, too much oil. I'm a student paying living expenses and school bills - I don't have a lot of spare cash, so I have to budget wisely for car repairs.

What's an estimate for repairs on a front-end oil leak? I couldn't determine the source on my own, but my guess is it's some sort of front seal. Maybe even the rear main seal. But I could be wrong. There's a small puddle under my car every morning now. But other than the oil leak, the car runs Great.

With this small, inadequate amount of info - could someone still please try to give me a ballpark estimate of how much $$$ I'll need to budget to get this fixed by my mechanic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Semi related question, my head gasket has an external oil leak. It's a small and slow leak, but how likely is it to go full "blown head gasket" on me?