Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

bob dobbs is dead posted:

this is the non-traitor-but-still-libertarian-dipshit mike flynn who died, but besides the durations being wrong (they've been getting longer) the process remains the same

note that if you're unmarried marrying an american citizen is really really quick compared to the other green card methods

also that trying to marry just for the green card will get you skullfucked by la migra

this document is hilariously out of date

five years ago, the wait time for an Indian passport holder was six to ten years. today, it's fifty to a hundred years, depending on which queue, and who you ask.

(if you are eligible for both queues, you can change queues freely, but it's hard to determine whether it will benefit you!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

also that trying to marry just for the green card will get you skullfucked by la migra

even if you secure a bona fide marriage, if you are on a non-dual-intent visa, you will have to go back to your "home" country in order to be eligible for residency based on your marriage

every canadian man i know in america learned this one the hard way. they come in on nafta visas instead of h-1b, because it's easy, and of course they would never want to live in the states permanently! but oops, you met a woman, and then...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this document is hilariously out of date

five years ago, the wait time for an Indian passport holder was six to ten years. today, it's fifty to a hundred years, depending on which queue, and who you ask.

(if you are eligible for both queues, you can change queues freely, but it's hard to determine whether it will benefit you!)

de facto, the queue is "until we get a non-racist president and/or congress who decide to make it not so hosed"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

de facto, the queue is "until we get a non-racist president and/or congress who decide to make it not so hosed"

the racist administration has made h-1b application renewal really fraught and difficult and just generally unpredictable. not green cards.

the out of control queues for permanent residency have nothing to do with the trump administration. we are talking about queues for people after they have been certified. 100% of their paperwork is in order. they are deemed by the federal government to be excellent choices for permanent residency

they are just waiting for a slot to actually be granted the document

the insanely racist national quotas of the 1965 law are still what govern everything around permanent residence for dual-intent visas

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the racist administration has made h-1b application renewal really fraught and difficult and just generally unpredictable. not green cards.

the out of control queues for permanent residency have nothing to do with the trump administration. we are talking about queues for people after they have been certified. 100% of their paperwork is in order. they are deemed by the federal government to be excellent choices for permanent residency

they are just waiting for a slot to actually be granted the document

the insanely racist national quotas of the 1965 law are still what govern everything around permanent residence for dual-intent visas

note that we didn't actually disagree

1965 dealio was actually less racist than the previous bill

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
for those yosposters not aware: the quotas on green cards are separate from the quotas on immigration, and separate from the quotas on visas

after you have an h-1b, and after your employer works with you to apply for a green card, and after your application is certified and you are approved for a green card, then you enter a line to get a slot in a nation-of-origin based quota

it makes zero sense

all green card grants should be automatic after certification. these people are the most capable and determined immigrants imaginable, highly skilled motherfuckers who already live here, who already are considered highly capable by their employers, who actively wish to build permanent lives and communities in the united states. how loving dumb is it to apply a quota system to people who have already been affirmatively proved to be the best possible citizens?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
deport anti-immigrant peeps imo. just deport them. your grandparents immigrated here and now you're being a fuckin anti-immigrant dipshit? back to shithole russia you go. sorry if you don't know russian i guess

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 9, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

deport anti-immigrant peeps imo. just deport them. your grandparents immigrated here and now you're being a fuckin anti-immigrant dipshit? back to shithole russia you go. sorry if you don't know russian i guess

among east bloc peeps, it ain't the second and third generations voting trump, by and large

there is a certain body of naturalised citizens who think trump is moschiach

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i mean that's kind of a thing among all americans over 60 it's just weird and awkward when it's east bloc jews who are voting for a naked anti-immigrant anti-semite with unpleasant connections to a despot with his origins in the kgb/fsb

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i mean that's kind of a thing among all americans over 60 it's just weird and awkward when it's east bloc jews who are voting for a naked anti-immigrant anti-semite with unpleasant connections to a despot with his origins in the kgb/fsb
taxes down musulmans out im sure he doesn’t mean all that stuff about our people tho

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Right now I'm one year away from Canadian citizenship, so I may as well get that passport and come into the USA that way rather than waste time with h1b.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
This just in: job hunting sucks and being unemployed sucks.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

counterpoint: work also sucks. eat trash be free

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Schadenboner posted:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The basic problem is that between: open enrollment, thanksgiving, christmas, and new years there's at most a week and a half of "normal" HR time between now and 2019 so very little hiring.

:smith:

E: And obvs. my total lack of competence, qualification, or skill. That's another problem?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

under the current regime experience isn't enough anymore. they are now dotting i's and crossing t's in the visa process. since sometime in 2017, to get or renew an h1b, you need a relevant degree

you can still get hired and live in the usa using other visa classes. many large firms will hire you via a local subsidiary and move you to the states on an L-1 visa

the problem is that the h-1b is the only broadly available dual intent visa class. no matter how well you do on an L-1 visa, you can never become a permanent resident on an L-1 -- it is not an immigrant visa, ever. h-1b expressly allows you to immigrate, if you jump through enough hoops, which is why it's so desirable.

What are you talking about NBSD? L1 is one of the few visas that is dual intent and allows for a path to residency. With that note, there are two L1 visa types A and B, where A is for managers and B is for highly skilled workers. L1-A is even better than an H1-B because there is a special class in the greencard process called EB1C which is basically the highest priority you can get and who's requirements have all been met as part of the L1-A process. L1-B has no restrictions, you can treat it just like an H1-B application for greencard.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Janitor Prime posted:

What are you talking about NBSD? L1 is one of the few visas that is dual intent and allows for a path to residency. With that note, there are two L1 visa types A and B, where A is for managers and B is for highly skilled workers. L1-A is even better than an H1-B because there is a special class in the greencard process called EB1C which is basically the highest priority you can get and who's requirements have all been met as part of the L1-A process. L1-B has no restrictions, you can treat it just like an H1-B application for greencard.

yah, the poo poo thing about l1 is that you're stuck

h1b, it's real hard to change jobs but you can do it. you gotta fill out forms and poo poo

you also gotta work at the place for at least a year before doing the l1

i would unironically just say, if you don't have a spouse already, to immediately start going on dating websites or some poo poo to try to go and find bona fide love tho. family dealio is 1000% easiest way

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 9, 2018

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

yah, the poo poo thing about l1 is that you're stuck

h1b, it's real hard to change jobs but you can do it. you gotta fill out forms and poo poo

I originally came to the US with Amazon on a TN visa. That one sucks because it also ties you to your employer like an L1. But I managed to change jobs to a startup by just filling out some forms and poo poo and they just mailed me a new i94 with TN status. Then eventually at this company I tried going for the greencard and so we did the L1 change and that was just fine as well. I suspect that I could change jobs again if I wanted to and switch back to TN.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
Obviously this only works for Mexicans and Canadians, but it's not as ominous as YOU'RE OUR SLAVE WE OWN YOU. I'm pretty sure if you were here on L1 and wanted to change jobs, your new company would just apply for your h1b as if you were a foreign worker and if you won the loterrey you status would change and you would start your new job. If you didn't then you'd be stuck at old job, you obviously don't tell old job you're quitting until it's a sure thing.

https://www.immi-usa.com/l1-to-h1b-change-of-status-sgm-law-group/

Janitor Prime fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 9, 2018

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

for those yosposters not aware: the quotas on green cards are separate from the quotas on immigration, and separate from the quotas on visas

after you have an h-1b, and after your employer works with you to apply for a green card, and after your application is certified and you are approved for a green card, then you enter a line to get a slot in a nation-of-origin based quota

it makes zero sense

all green card grants should be automatic after certification. these people are the most capable and determined immigrants imaginable, highly skilled motherfuckers who already live here, who already are considered highly capable by their employers, who actively wish to build permanent lives and communities in the united states. how loving dumb is it to apply a quota system to people who have already been affirmatively proved to be the best possible citizens?

let everybody who wants to get in on a work visa and green card after 5 years imo

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

There's a couple of guys on L1 visas in our new York office and they keep having to come back to Europe for a few weeks while the paperwork gets sorter out. I think there was some discussion of hiring people to work for them just so they would qualify for the management route lol

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

about as dumb as saying "why should we take in people from shithole countries [africa]" when immigrants from those exact countries are more highly educated and more likely to go into professional fields than any other immigrant group or natural born US citizens

its not about having a firm basis in the reality of immigration, the policy doesnt even exist on that plane. its just pure racism

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

jesus WEP posted:

taxes down musulmans out im sure he doesn’t mean all that stuff about our people tho
hes just saying all those things to get elected, he doesnt really believe them. if you were smart and savvy like me, youd understand this!

weve had a lot of fun in this thread tracking farmers slowly coming to realize that trump wasnt kidding when he said hed launch a scorched earth tariff war with china to punish them for all the bad deals theyve forced on us

the result:

the silos are full so now soybeans are piling up in the open, hoping to find buyers before they rot

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is basically how it works in canada. all extended/open ended work visas (except for a couple reciprocal commonwealth "working vacation" visas) are dual intent and let you apply for permanent residency (equiv to a green card) after three years of (non continuous) residency. i don't think anyone has ever really had a problem with it. you can also change jobs freely

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

the talent deficit posted:

this is basically how it works in canada. all extended/open ended work visas (except for a couple reciprocal commonwealth "working vacation" visas) are dual intent and let you apply for permanent residency (equiv to a green card) after three years of (non continuous) residency. i don't think anyone has ever really had a problem with it. you can also change jobs freely

the best immigration policies in the world are in non-us non-uk anglo countries

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

which ones? in most places where you would actually want to live it takes 8+ years of permanent residency, a language test, piles of paperwork and in some cases they will look at how well you are integrated before granting citizenship (e.g. switzerland and japan). many countries don't allow dual citizenship, sometimes for everyone and other times just for naturalized citizens, so you had better be ready to give up any prior citizenship as well. these countries also generally don't hand out visas like candy and even in places with jus soli, it's generally restricted to long term permanent residents.

the backdoor to bypass the red tape are countries that have very generous dual citizenship policies, or at least significantly reduce the requirements for naturalization, as long at least one grandparent, or great grandparent in some cases, held citizenship. several countries that do this also happen to be eu countries, so if you can go that route you essentially have free access to all of europe

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
the eu blue card (work visa for highly qualified professionals) is dual intent but the amount of time you need to wait for citizenship varies a lot

in sweden regular work visas (for people who do not qualify for the blue card) are dual intent and you can apply for citizenship after five years of residency. allows dual citizenship too. better be sure you're taking all of your vacation days tho - you get 25 days a year by law and you must use at least 20 - and make sure your employer is doing their pension contributions right or the immigration board will revoke your visa on the grounds that you are unfair competition in the work market

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
how seriously should i take it when the recruiter says that the max for the position is 105k?

if I know for sure that it is below market and i'm worth more than that is there going to be an opportunity to push the envelope or am I just being a jerk if i follow through only to bail after asking for an out-of-bounds salary?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
actually woops lol i forgot for a second that corporations aren't people and wasting their time is fine because fuckem

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

idk

I looked into NZ back in 2010 and some common and treatable medical conditions red-flagged if not outright disqualified applications for residency due to the cost on their healthcare system.

that was kind of a bummer. i think Australia and the UK are similar.

my wife just became a US citizen a few weeks ago and once you apply for it USCIS can be scary fast. it was a few weeks from application to interview to citizenship ceremony. renewing a green card took them over a year though lol.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Corla Plankun posted:

how seriously should i take it when the recruiter says that the max for the position is 105k?

if I know for sure that it is below market and i'm worth more than that is there going to be an opportunity to push the envelope or am I just being a jerk if i follow through only to bail after asking for an out-of-bounds salary?

that salary negotiation book mentioned earlier itt kind of mentions this situation. one tactic you can try is to negotiate a different position than the one advertised with more responsibilities that deserves a higher salary. good luck if you try it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The_Franz posted:

which ones? in most places where you would actually want to live it takes 8+ years of permanent residency, a language test, piles of paperwork and in some cases they will look at how well you are integrated before granting citizenship (e.g. switzerland and japan). many countries don't allow dual citizenship, sometimes for everyone and other times just for naturalized citizens, so you had better be ready to give up any prior citizenship as well. these countries also generally don't hand out visas like candy and even in places with jus soli, it's generally restricted to long term permanent residents.

the backdoor to bypass the red tape are countries that have very generous dual citizenship policies, or at least significantly reduce the requirements for naturalization, as long at least one grandparent, or great grandparent in some cases, held citizenship. several countries that do this also happen to be eu countries, so if you can go that route you essentially have free access to all of europe

My mom could have gotten :sweden: citizenship but she would have had to do so before 18 or 21 or something.

:sigh:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

actually woops lol i forgot for a second that corporations aren't people and wasting their time is fine because fuckem

Waste of your time tho

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Janitor Prime posted:

well I hosed that up but I’m still real mad about green card shennanigans

poo poo is real hosed up

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

the talent deficit posted:

Also, I got permanent residency for Canada without ever having worked a femtosecond here. It's pretty easy if you have skills and education they want.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
immigration is lovely and sucks and there is a special place in hell reserved for immigrants who want to pull the ladder up behind them instead of tearing down the whole rotten system

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
At least the State of Wisconsin might start hiring again?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The_Franz posted:

we were looking at the eu as a plan b if the nz application fell through. since my partner has eu citizenship it would have been pretty straightforward for us to do that, but only for the countries which would have recognized our marriage. conveniently those were also the countries we'd have wanted to live in anyway. this is probably going to end up in front of the ECJ in a few years but it aint there yet

meatpotato posted:

I looked into NZ back in 2010 and some common and treatable medical conditions red-flagged if not outright disqualified applications for residency due to the cost on their healthcare system.

that was kind of a bummer. i think Australia and the UK are similar.

the health part was indeed a bit of a cloud because "but what if something DID come up??" and its kinda scary because its one of the few things in the application that could totally disqualify you without being able to do much about it. but happily everything ended up being fine for us at least. i guess if one of us did have a terminal illness then finding out via a visa application would have been as good a way as any

one thing to nz's credit is that their guidance for evaluating applications is online, so e.g. here is what they use for health requirements, and for granting medical waivers. but that said if i knowingly had something on the health requirements list i doubt i'd have tried applying in the first place, as idk how frequently they actually grant the health waivers described there. however this definitely beats the US system of 'gently caress you, hope you(r sponsoring employer) got a good lawyer'.

other tidbits from the application experience:
- out of all the paperwork that needed to be collected for the application, id say the most difficult part was just getting verification of my employment history from prior employers, who often didnt want to confirm that i did indeed get paid by them to touch computers. in one case this was refusing to even say what my title was, and in another having apparently lost any record of my having been there full time for three years. lesson there is to always keep copies of your old offer letters and job descriptions. having that documentation available helped a lot in the cases where hr morons had no problem pretending i never existed
- its also worth pointing out that if i didnt start my computer touching career by getting a cs degree then that employment experience wouldnt have counted for visa purposes due to lack of a preceding 'qualification'. in an otherwise ostensibly reasonable process, this stuck out as one case where the underlying bureaucracy in defining arbitrary visa requirements really shone through. so i guess if youre planning on immigrating somewhere someday then get that csbs well in advance

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 10, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Progressive JPEG posted:

wouldnt have counted for visa purposes due to lack of a preceding 'qualification'. in an otherwise ostensibly reasonable process, this stuck out as one case where the underlying bureaucracy in defining arbitrary visa requirements really shone through. so i guess if youre planning on immigrating somewhere someday then get that csbs well in advance

great story about my hipster-rear end major in plutocrat school

there were multiple startup billionaires from my major and obama wanted to talk about one of em in his state of the union address but we technically weren't a stem major from the government classifications, so instead of modifying his speech an underling just retroactively made my major a stem major in the official classification

helped a couple classmates of mine with visas rather a lot for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I’ve accepted an offer and have a start date of 11/19, but I have an interview set for this coming Monday. Would it be a waste of time to go to the interview? Real similar positions but the one I’ve accepted interests me a bit more, and I can’t help but wonder if I could squeeze higher compensation from the second company. Though I’m not sure they’d turn around and give me a real offer inside of one week.