Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Javid posted:

In 2018 I have to imagine there's some startup with an app that gives you a virtual fax number from which you can send and receive faxes without investing any space and/or effort in actually wasting cubic inches of precious oxygen on a fax machine in TYOOL 2018.

It's probably one of those things the big manufacturing companies watch out for and send large men with baseball bats to deter development. Unless they want to be kickstarting for their medical bills :toughguy:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

JazzmasterCurious posted:

In TYOOL 2018, Office 365 still requires passwords of 8 or more characters with capitals, numbers and symbols. Had to come up with something fast for my new account but my password "gently caress You Micro$haft" did not work because it could not have spaces!

WTF Microsoft?

e: Are password rules set by the organization, or is this a system-wide thing for O365?
organisations can do their own password rules or use the default microsoft ones.

I believe o365 does, by default, not allow spaces.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Jaded Burnout posted:

I wonder what sort of diagnostic accuracy they were expecting to get via fax

I would suggest Proton Mail but that may be beyond their capabilities.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's probably one of those things the big manufacturing companies watch out for and send large men with baseball bats to deter development. Unless they want to be kickstarting for their medical bills :toughguy:.

If it exists, HP or Cisco will buy it and ruin it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jaded Burnout posted:

I wonder what sort of diagnostic accuracy they were expecting to get via fax

Even a pristine grayscale printout is next to useless for that; I didn't even want to think about what a fax would look like.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
So, for once I have a non poo poo boss! It's time to grow and :yotj: Storytime!

I'm actually happy about this, because this is the last conversation I had via email with my previous boss, who was thankfully deservedly canned. I ordered a $20 box of screws, and our receivables folks said they'd approve it and get my manager to approve it.

:downs: : "anus, what's this?" (forwards copy of approval request, CC's purchasing)
me: "it's an order for a box of screws."
:downs: "can you provide more details?"
me: "It's an order for a box of screws for network equipment"?
:downs: "can you please give me a better explanation?"
:sigh: "It's a box of screws for network equipment because sometimes things are unboxed and deployed, and we end up needing screws to mount it".
Meanwhile, purchasing tells me they'd never seen ex-boss do something like that before. :cripes:

Oh, and a more recent short one - verbatim, not involving a boss.
:frogdowns: "We want to poll the core switch" (for a bunch of data and we have a monitoring suite already)
Me: "you should probably get a change control for that"
:frogdowns: "What's a change control?"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
via b3ta:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

God drat that last one is on point.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
lol my website has a huge nazi problem

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Methanar posted:

lol my website has a huge nazi problem

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Oh, and a more recent short one - verbatim, not involving a boss.
:frogdowns: "We want to poll the core switch" (for a bunch of data and we have a monitoring suite already)
Me: "you should probably get a change control for that"
:frogdowns: "What's a change control?"
Sounds like my current workplace. Apparently there is a change control process, but you just have to get lucky and hope a ticket to another group triggers someone who knows the Secret Password of Change Control. It's like a shadowy cult and I literally have no idea who has access or who sits on it. This stands in contrast to my last job, where we had a standing weekly meeting and everyone knew who the representatives from each group were.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Two outages are in right now. An internal server preventing people from logging into databases, preventing reports from being ran, and an actual honest to god customer outage impacting a few thousand people.

One guess as to which one management thinks is more critical lol

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Is it the one involving the toilet paper or the coffee machine? Or is it the CEO's kids pet (insert computer here)

No tickets submitted, of course.

(From what you're saying its the internal server instead of the paying customer, right?)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

TheParadigm posted:

(From what you're saying its the internal server instead of the paying customer, right?)

of course

But this whole thing has devolved into a poo poo show.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Renegret posted:

Two outages are in right now. An internal server preventing people from logging into databases, preventing reports from being ran, and an actual honest to god customer outage impacting a few thousand people.

One guess as to which one management thinks is more critical lol

Trick question. Facebook was down earlier.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Welp.

Turns out the new office phone number is the same as that of a well know courier company, but in a different area code. Fun times!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Welp.

Turns out the new office phone number is the same as that of a well know courier company, but in a different area code. Fun times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ode5ijIu-UQ

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw2aEPq3--4

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2s2ixp

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

This is good, but I lost it at the last question. :laffo:

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Twitter posted:

We are currently managing a network incident impacting a number of customers

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I just want to know how the logistics works of wiring a couple hundred drops and getting them to fall into the patch panels in a way that means the numbers are in the same order as the drops are out on the floor.

You don't, cos Facilities can decide at any time that they want to physically move desks around every 9 months with little warning and you never have time to keep your stupid map updated. *grumble*

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 7, 2019

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Brexit has come early for Twitter

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Holy christ. I've had a ticket open for almost a month for a server that keeps running out of space. The customer doesn't want to just add additional space because they see that as a temporary measure. Instead, they want to have meetings about how to reconfigure the app that is eating up all the space! Great! Meeting gets pushed back again and again, no decision gets made, I suggest again that they just add some extra space for now. They don't.

It's the day before Thanksgiving and guess what's happened?

:fuckoff:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sirotan posted:

Holy christ. I've had a ticket open for almost a month for a server that keeps running out of space. The customer doesn't want to just add additional space because they see that as a temporary measure. Instead, they want to have meetings about how to reconfigure the app that is eating up all the space! Great! Meeting gets pushed back again and again, no decision gets made, I suggest again that they just add some extra space for now. They don't.

It's the day before Thanksgiving and guess what's happened?

:fuckoff:

I am currently fighting the same battle and it's just as stupid, except it's my own company blocking it and it's not like we don't have a fuckton of extra storage (seriously we have like 20TB unused...). The other difference here is that it's literally not a temp measure, we added additional stuff that is eating more space, if we added more storage to the VM it would be over.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Another ticket came in from this client who kept reporting the same kind of issue for what seems like a year: they have a voicemail module they call in to to set who is on-call for the night, and it supposedly doesn’t work half the time for one of the options. They call in, hear a menu that says “press 1 to put Alice on call, press 2 to set Bob on call, press 3 to set Carol on call” etc with like six options. You press 2, you hear a recording say “Bob is now on call” and then it disconnects, and now when you call the after-hours line it should forward to Bob’s cell phone.

They kept reporting intermittent issues with this system and we’ve double-checked and tested the programming a bunch of times and it always seemed to be set up just fine when we tried it.

I finally figured out the actual problem today and it’s super dumb.

The way it set up in Voicemail Pro, the “X is now on call” recording is actually the prompt on the node that does the variable change.

If you hang up before a prompt is done playing, VMPro doesn’t actually do the associated action.

One of the “x is now on call” recordings had like 4 seconds of silence at the end of it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
This is why I don't manage phones.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I assume the one with all the silence at the end is the one that discovered the bug and re-recorded their prompt to include it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

This place is always penny wise and pound foolish.

Frantic discussion between head of IT and some execs about what to do about the sales team member who is constantly blowing the 2gb limit on her company phone scrolling Facebook. It's expensive, but she's important enough that IT can't just cap her data or shitlist Facebook to solve the problem. This has been ongoing for a few months, with her department eating multiple hundreds of dollars in data every time it happens. Total cost to the company has now reached 4 digits so it's an actual problem. General consensus is they're going to try and convince her to ease up on the data. Like multiple division head level people are going to take time out of a day to give her some sort of come to Jesus discussion on the topic.

I know for a fact head of IT doesn't even like this person and finds her to be tremendously obnoxious but everyone adores her because she Makes Sales. But IT suggests "well six months ago the owner publicly congratulated her for breaking $7 million in sales this year alone, and a lot of her networking that makes that poo poo happen goes through Facebook, so maybe we should just pay a third of that amount for her to have unlimited data to blow on Facebook and never waste our time thinking about it again?"

But that costs like a hundred dollars a month or some poo poo!! Never mind that if she never makes a sale again after today and you pay for her data for life and she lives to be 117 you'll still be ahead by around $6,930,000. Spend the relative pittance to make a problem with one of your prime profit generators go away literally forever and spend your time thinking about real problems. (Lol no they're going to make it the c-levels' problem tomorrow)

Javid fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 22, 2018

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Javid posted:

This place is always penny wise and pound foolish.

Frantic discussion between head of IT and some execs about what to do about the sales team member who is constantly blowing the 2gb limit on her company phone scrolling Facebook. It's expensive, but she's important enough that IT can't just cap her data or shitlist Facebook to solve the problem. This has been ongoing for a few months, with her department eating multiple hundreds of dollars in data every time it happens. Total cost to the company has now reached 4 digits so it's an actual problem. General consensus is they're going to try and convince her to ease up on the data. Like multiple division head level people are going to take time out of a day to give her some sort of come to Jesus discussion on the topic.

I know for a fact head of IT doesn't even like this person and finds her to be tremendously obnoxious but everyone adores her because she Makes Sales. But IT suggests "well six months ago the owner publicly congratulated her for breaking $7 million in sales this year alone, and a lot of her networking that makes that poo poo happen goes through Facebook, so maybe we should just pay a third of that amount for her to have unlimited data to blow on Facebook and never waste our time thinking about it again?"

But that costs like a hundred dollars a month or some poo poo!! Never mind that if she never makes a sale again after today and you pay for her data for life and she lives to be 117 you'll still be ahead by around $6,930,000. Spend the relative pittance to make a problem with one of your prime profit generators go away literally forever and spend your time thinking about real problems. (Lol no they're going to make it the c-levels' problem tomorrow)

Tell her to pay for it herself and then bill the company

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Methanar posted:

Tell her to pay for it herself and then bill the company

Nah, as a neutral third party who hates both her AND the company I'm going to watch them with great glee as they just slowly grow to resent each other over it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

2GB?

Nice data plan, for a clown, at the circus.

Idk how it is over there but here you can get corporate plans where all the data is piled on a single heap. So the few heavy users are compensated by the majority of light users.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah what the gently caress is 2GB about.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I'm willing to bet a dollar that she mostly browses from her home or the office: both of which have perfectly adequate wifi and she's simply not using it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have a 2GB plan and I've managed to not hit my data limit once, even with spending three days over at Road America for a race. It's exactly what spog thinks.

(I download music on wifi instead of streaming on mobile, tend to avoid image heavy threads, etc)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have 10 GB on my plan and I rarely hit half of that.

Still, not having to worry about data usage is very nice. Not having to go on sketchy hotel wifi is great.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
The last couple years I’ve been happier with Comcast’s monopoly around here just because it means I can go most places and connect to the public WiFi to browse whatever I want with reasonable speed. And it leaves all of my data plan for use everywhere else.

But yeah 2gb is very small for a data plan these days. When I was still on a 2gb plan I had to avoid things like Twitter because scrolling through my feed could just burn through data. Which is probably what’s happening with her. Those auto load videos will kill you.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 22, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have a 30GB plan (it’s meant to be 20GB but for some reason it showed up differently) and I maybe use 4GB each month. My ISP runs a load of public hotspots that you can install a connection profile onto a phone with using an app so it will auto connect without a captive portal, and is secured with a certificate. So you just roam onto it and it works really well.

My mobile provider has a hotspot 2.0 profile that is provisioned for WiFi on the London Underground so it just works down there as well.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

MF_James posted:

I am currently fighting the same battle and it's just as stupid, except it's my own company blocking it and it's not like we don't have a fuckton of extra storage (seriously we have like 20TB unused...). The other difference here is that it's literally not a temp measure, we added additional stuff that is eating more space, if we added more storage to the VM it would be over.

One of the best parts of my new job is being able to fix things like this. SQL server running low on space? Prop it up with an extra 100gb, that's what the SAN is for.

Previous job that was a Change Request, which went to committee once a week, then went to a decision board, then a plan would be submitted, budget drawn and approved, cost centre negotiated, outage window planned (yes even for non outage changes *just in case*), then finally a change could be implemented. Followed by a post mortem, change control completion form, and a follow-up email from the change board manager.

When I left my old job, I had an open change for a certificate renewal. I had opened the change 3 months before expiry. When I left it was a week past expiry and hadn't hit budget yet.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Antioch posted:

One of the best parts of my new job is being able to fix things like this. SQL server running low on space? Prop it up with an extra 100gb, that's what the SAN is for.

Previous job that was a Change Request, which went to committee once a week, then went to a decision board, then a plan would be submitted, budget drawn and approved, cost centre negotiated, outage window planned (yes even for non outage changes *just in case*), then finally a change could be implemented. Followed by a post mortem, change control completion form, and a follow-up email from the change board manager.

When I left my old job, I had an open change for a certificate renewal. I had opened the change 3 months before expiry. When I left it was a week past expiry and hadn't hit budget yet.

sounds exactly like my current workplace. Not five minutes ago I just sent off an email to apply for a Zones of Trust "Deviation" allowance which might be the most dramatic way possible to frame a firewall rule.

SLA on reviewing the request before a decision is 2 weeks. The ticket is a month and a half old at this point.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Antioch posted:

I thought our change process was bad but it's not even close to that.

What industry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And then everything suddenly becomes OMG DUE YESTERDAY I DON'T CARE JUST GET IT DONE because audit is coming.

(And everyone circumvents all the change control processes to fix/hide audit issues which is exactly what audit is trying to find evidence of in the first place lol)