Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its great how, when you're a kid, stuff like that just rolls off your brain. Like, sure, why wouldn't Godzilla talk in these two scenes and never again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1052638145471111168

Nice!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
There's a Godzilla constellation now?

https://twitter.com/godzilla_jp/status/1052881475224231937

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Still more fun to watch than the anime.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Counting down until NECA makes a toy from it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think they already make Space Godzilla

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
But they never did make Star Godzilla...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Someone at Toho's getting fired for not coming up with this idea.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Maxwell Lord posted:

Star Godzilla sounds so very 1970's.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
There's gotta be a DDR Godzilla mod, right? There's your Godzilla star.

Also, reminded me of this deep cut of Goji music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxcGvyr0biw

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Flint Ironstag posted:

Star Godzilla sounds so very 1970's.

It was a Variety ad in like 1980, put up by some fly by night company, I think from Hong Kong- there were often weird films that never got made advertised in there as a way of trying to solicit funding and/or attention. (Another good example, Ilsa Meets Bruce Lee in the Bermuda Triangle.)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/nerdist/status/1055504505373122560

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wonder what Monarch is going to do in the film to justify having humans in it. There's pretty much nothing they can do to stop the Kaiju on their own short of building Super-X IV or something. Maybe they take a note from the last film and try to bait the monsters away from cities by using radiation signatures

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wonder what Monarch is going to do in the film to justify having humans in it. There's pretty much nothing they can do to stop the Kaiju on their own short of building Super-X IV or something. Maybe they take a note from the last film and try to bait the monsters away from cities by using radiation signatures

There are some spoilers floating around that address this question, but it's unclear as to just how accurate they are.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

For one thing, they're the ones who know where the kaiju are. Except for Godzilla, they're all dormant, locked away in stasis.

For another, the human villain is a Monarch scientist who's come to revere the kaiju and believe they must be set free - the actress said in one interview that her character has a machine based on Cranston's sonic wave communication stuff in G14 that lets her communicate with the kaiju.

They're also apparently the ones who find Godzilla and get him to go fight the other kaiju that ecoterrorist lady is waking up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Cythereal posted:

For one thing, they're the ones who know where the kaiju are. Except for Godzilla, they're all dormant, locked away in stasis.

For another, the human villain is a Monarch scientist who's come to revere the kaiju and believe they must be set free - the actress said in one interview that her character has a machine based on Cranston's sonic wave communication stuff in G14 that lets her communicate with the kaiju.

They're also apparently the ones who find Godzilla and get him to go fight the other kaiju that ecoterrorist lady is waking up.

I know they won't be cool enough to do it but saying it's sonic waves, like they gotta just say gently caress it and she just has a box with the twins in it to sing to Mothra.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Wow, so this somehow eluded me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tTPiQviZeg

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Oh wow. Don't know if that's just a nice coincidence or not. As awesome as terror of mechagodzilla is that's still an ultra deep cut.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So, Kong Vs Godzilla starts filming next week and Wingard posted this

And here's a new interview with the people behind the animated films

https://gigazine.net/news/20181108-godzilla-the-planet-eater-interview/
https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2122744/full/

quote:

Interview with Shizuno, Seshita and Urobuchi.

Seshita says it was TOHO that told them from the beginning of the project that it was NOT to be about kaiju fights. Urobuchi wrote his script on this basis. Shizuno had barely seen Godzilla movies to begin with and came up with "interesting ideas" like "does he really have to breathe fire". As a result they did succeed in getting to new fanbases, especially younger women.

Shizuno barely watched tokusatsu films and so didn't have any preconceptions on what a Godzilla film "should be like".

Seshita says that if it were just him and Urobuchi, Mecha Godzilla City would have probably ended with the entire city combining and standing up to form a 1 km tall Mecha Godzilla.

Urobuchi wanted to have all of the turrets turn into Mecha Godzilla heads but Shizuno stopped it from happening.

Seshita says that if it weren't for Shizuno, the Exifs would probably all have worn sunglasses like the Xians.

No idea how accurate those bullet points are though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Godzilla does have great face reactions.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So all this means is that we have some one slightly different to also blame for the movie's problems.

Like, all the awful characters and dialogue would still be on Gen even if we had better fights or some one that let the movies look like Godzilla movies more.

The Elfs being X Aliens would have been hilarious

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah they really nailed his movements and expressions. Hope that continues

I wonder if toho said "don't make it all monster fights" in the sense that there needs to be a narrative and reasons to care but the team took it very literally.

Mechagodzilla city was a cool idea and even though turning into literal mechagodzilla would have been obvious they could have made it work I think.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I think Shin being one of the most successful films of 2016 at Japan's box office probably was a big wake-up call to them.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Burkion posted:

So all this means is that we have some one slightly different to also blame for the movie's problems.

Like, all the awful characters and dialogue would still be on Gen even if we had better fights or some one that let the movies look like Godzilla movies more.

The Elfs being X Aliens would have been hilarious

Is a bit shocking that the interview comes off as "Seshita and Urobochi wanted to have fun but Shizuno was a party pooper"

Anyways, at least some people are having fun

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Anime Godzilla or Legendary Godzilla. This is an important distinction.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Legendary. There's a point when he's fighting the male MUTO, and you can see his face read "You fucker"

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just wanna see King Ghidorah gently caress up some humans before he gets gangbanged by Godzilla, Mothra, and Rodan

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Legendary/status/1062081119661617152

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Kong: those monsters from space, are they bigger than you?
Godzilla: yeah.
Kong: then bring a knife to battle. If they take it off you and breathe lightning on you, you go around their lairs at night and burn them down with their families inside. What's the worst they can do?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Slutitution posted:

I just wanna see King Ghidorah gently caress up some humans before he gets gangbanged by Godzilla, Mothra, and Rodan

It's just as well he has three mouths.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1062820220581093383

Shun Oguri is so good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/1063551637921230853

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Godzilla is kinda basically Old Testament God in these movies.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
https://twitter.com/MonarchSciences/status/1064594223779897345

:getin:

e: looks like Monarch Sciences has been updated. Keep an eye out! :toot:

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 19, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Another trailer? Like why even bother there’s no way they’re going to top the first one and I sure as poo poo ain’t seeing any additional promotional material if I can.

Seriously that god drat trailer. So loving good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do wonder if they're getting at anything in particular with the classified outposts. The previous timeline hinted that the one in Scotland might be Hedorah, and I presume one in the middle of the Pacific is Skull Island.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Another trailer? Like why even bother there’s no way they’re going to top the first one and I sure as poo poo ain’t seeing any additional promotional material if I can.

Seriously that god drat trailer. So loving good.

Amen. I didn't care about Godzilla as a franchise beyond enjoying G14, but man that trailer hyped me the gently caress up.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Godzilla is kinda basically Old Testament God in these movies.

He’s way friendlier and more relatable, I don’t really see the connection

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Also the Old Testament God was a very hands-on sort, who would make a point of taking his wrath out on individual people; G'14 makes it pretty clear that Godzilla doesn't care about individual people at all, or really people as a whole for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
hey now, he very briefly notices soldier guy, so he at least recognizes his own son