Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Boogies daily caloric intake could feed an entire starving family for weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ash Crimson posted:

Crow ain't very nutritious though

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ash Crimson posted:

Why are you favouring the starving families? Well-fed ones are equally entitled to Boogie's daily caloric intake!!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

a cartoon duck posted:

centrists are so brave

It takes a certain type of courage to be that stupid in public.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GrandpaPants posted:

It takes a certain type of courage to be that stupid in public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMhwddNQSWQ

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why are you favouring the starving families? Well-fed ones are equally entitled to Boogie's daily caloric intake!!

Boogie is literally a net drain on society's resources. I ascribe more sentience and sapience to the man's fat cells then i do to his brain or even soul

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Boogie bad

I used to give him the benefit of the doubt. Y'know, I'd think, yeah, his opinions are garbage, but maybe he's just been so sheltered and so obsessed with being "nice" that he can't really see how both sides aren't the same. (This was a couple years ago, for the record.)

These days, no. Nobody is this incapable of learning. Nobody is this oblivious. He's doing this poo poo because he wants people to rush to "abuse" and "hate" him online so he can bask in the support of his legion of enablers.

I'm not a psychologist, and even if I was, I wouldn't be his psychologist, so the rest of this is total speculation that is probably extremely wrong. I sorta doubt he's doing this all with clear eyes and a clear head as a cynical, planned-out strategy. I think he's probably doing it compulsively because it keeps getting him attention. I think he gets more offended when people attack him from "the left" because he actually does see himself as somehow an ally of LGBTQ people, much the same way as white liberals think they're not racist and lash out self-righteously when their racism is pointed out. The difference is that he has hundreds of people who will rush in every time to reassure him that no, he is right to sit on that fence, and it is the leftists who are too fragile and too extreme. That group of enablers does include people who are genuinely suckered in by his nice guy act, but there are also probably tons and tons of right-wing jackoffs who love to use Boogie to build up the impression that "the right" is capable of civil debate while "the left" forms attack mobs.

Anyway that's my pseudo-psychology for the day, and in conclusion, Boogie bad

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Fil5000 posted:

The videogame is better than it has any right to be.
The speedrun is a must watch for fans of busted 90s fpses. The current wr is 10.34 but this older marathon run is probably the most entertaining way to experience Tekwar largely because the runner doesn't skip the cutsenes:
https://youtu.be/KFF5Gu7QrYc

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Terrible Opinions posted:

They weren't even open to religion. It was only the insistence of the Quaker population of Pennsylvania to prevented the Puritans from doubling down on renewing persecution of Catholics and Jews like they had done in England before getting kicked out during the Civil War.

Sorta. I remember most of the founders being pretty cool with different religions and sects, I think John jay hated Catholics though. I’d have to read more on it. I am not really giant worshiper of the founding father cult of personality bullshit though I find many of them interesting people in a bunch of ways.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea the entire reason...I always mix up Massachusetts or Maryland....exists is because it was basically one big 'put the Catholics there away from us' colony.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Given what I know about William Shatner, I'm not surprised by either of those counts.

What's really (not) funny is either the racist stuff was Shatner's idea, his ghost-writer put it in and Shatner approved it, or he didn't bother to look at or read anything and thus best case scenario he's a racist by... omission, maybe?

In happier news, Mike and Conor get a lot of mileage out of the book's attempt to future things up with the abundance of 'plas-noun' and 'las-noun.' Also that robots print things out when you ask them questions. The future belongs to Dot Matrix.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

yea the entire reason...I always mix up Massachusetts or Maryland....exists is because it was basically one big 'put the Catholics there away from us' colony.

Maryland. It's Mary-land.

Massachusetts exists because Puritans decided to create an ideal religious society, creating the first Massholes.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone watch the videos/debates of the twitch streamer Destiny?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Y'know I've been having a lot of fun playing Destiny 2 recently

It's too bad it's probably going to get lovely with added micro-transactions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhLQsegK9AA

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Booger deleted that second remaining post like a coward and tried playing sadboy again because "The big meanie.. ah, people who know anything about history, blew me the gently caress out."

Isn't boogie big on senshurship? Why is he censoring himself?

Calaveron posted:

Crow ain't very nutritious though

Not very good at LPs either :smuggo:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

It stuns me that Boogie doesn't seem to think about the content of what he's typing.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

bessantj posted:

It stuns me that Boogie doesn't seem to think

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Leal posted:

Not very good at LPs either :smuggo:

He's fine at LPs so long as he doesn't have to use UGBs.

Then he just loses it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Harrow posted:

Boogie bad

I used to give him the benefit of the doubt. Y'know, I'd think, yeah, his opinions are garbage, but maybe he's just been so sheltered and so obsessed with being "nice" that he can't really see how both sides aren't the same. (This was a couple years ago, for the record.)

These days, no. Nobody is this incapable of learning. Nobody is this oblivious. He's doing this poo poo because he wants people to rush to "abuse" and "hate" him online so he can bask in the support of his legion of enablers.

I'm not a psychologist, and even if I was, I wouldn't be his psychologist, so the rest of this is total speculation that is probably extremely wrong. I sorta doubt he's doing this all with clear eyes and a clear head as a cynical, planned-out strategy. I think he's probably doing it compulsively because it keeps getting him attention. I think he gets more offended when people attack him from "the left" because he actually does see himself as somehow an ally of LGBTQ people, much the same way as white liberals think they're not racist and lash out self-righteously when their racism is pointed out. The difference is that he has hundreds of people who will rush in every time to reassure him that no, he is right to sit on that fence, and it is the leftists who are too fragile and too extreme. That group of enablers does include people who are genuinely suckered in by his nice guy act, but there are also probably tons and tons of right-wing jackoffs who love to use Boogie to build up the impression that "the right" is capable of civil debate while "the left" forms attack mobs.

Anyway that's my pseudo-psychology for the day, and in conclusion, Boogie bad
yeah, i don't think boogie is actively malicious, he is just extreamly dim and extremely raised on Sorkin type centrist bullshit. he wants everyone to be friends and poo poo and in his tiny mind, he thinks he can give some bartlet type speech/tweet that will solve everything. then the left rightfully laughs at his dumb rear end and the right placates him. so yes, Boogie=Bad.

bessantj posted:

It stuns me that Boogie doesn't seem to think about the content of what he's typing.

well, sponges don't have central nervous systems.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i don't think boogie is actively malicious, he is just extreamly dim and extremely raised on Sorkin type centrist bullshit.

Espousing centrist values is actively malicious to the people who don't have the privilege of being unaffected by politics.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

MLK, in his "Letter from a Birmingham jail" posted:

I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to 'order' than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice.

People like Boogie have always been hindrances to progress.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Espousing centrist values is actively malicious to the people who don't have the privilege of being unaffected by politics.

And who might that be? Who the gently caress is unaffected by politics? Unless you are a sovereign citizen dumbass or part of the 1%. There is no such thing as privilege to be unaffected by politics or whatever verbal diarrhea you wrote.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ulio posted:

And who might that be? Who the gently caress is unaffected by politics? Unless you are a sovereign citizen dumbass or part of the 1%. There is no such thing as privilege to be unaffected by politics or whatever verbal diarrhea you wrote.

Generally well off white people are unaffected. They might be inconvenienced but usually that’s it. They will tell you that too. A lot can’t even grasp that politics has consequences.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Generally well off white people are unaffected. They might be inconvenienced but usually that’s it. They will tell you that too. A lot can’t even grasp that politics has consequences.

this is true. if i didn't have a gently caress ton of physical problems and practically raised in a big city hospital with tons of different kinds of people, id probably be loving clueless about politcs or some sort of chud like alot of other people my age in my area.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ulio posted:

it's actually super easy to be mostly unaffected as long as you're comfortably well off and part of the majority. It's why most of the #resistance poo poo that's led by rich white hollywood types balk at actual resistance like yelling at people at their house, because they're actually just fine waiting out the rise of fascism.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

well yeah, of course. i get that. i just meant i don't think he himself is a dead eyed bigot fascist, he is dumber and worse than that in a way because he defends their bullshit because of dumb centrist bullshit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

it's actually super easy to be mostly unaffected as long as you're comfortably well off and part of the majority. It's why most of the #resistance poo poo that's led by rich white hollywood types balk at actual resistance like yelling at people at their house, because they're actually just fine waiting out the rise of fascism.

well they think they are fine. if facists took over, at best they might be able to get out in time. they would probaly end up against the wall or in a camp at some point. but thats long after we are all dead.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

Tina_fey_eating_cake.jpg

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Ulio posted:

There is no such thing as privilege to be unaffected by politics or whatever verbal diarrhea you wrote.

Lol what sort of fantasy world do you live in.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well yeah, of course. i get that. i just meant i don't think he himself is a dead eyed bigot fascist, he is dumber and worse than that in a way because he defends their bullshit because of dumb centrist bullshit.

I just don't want any defense of him as not "intending" to be harmful when the net result is still "legitimizes assholes."

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

The nonsense Boogie spouts isn’t centrism. The definition of the word seems to have been corrupted in recent years by people like him, who reduce it to “avoid conflict whenever possible and try not to have a strong opinion on anything”, but that’s not what it’s supposed to mean. Legitimate centrists do have political opinions, often very strongly-held ones; they just don’t always align with the same party. They’re often not in the exact center either, most tending to agree with one side more than the other.

Maybe this is just quibbling over definitions, though. Whatever he calls himself, he’s still an idiot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's not centrism, it's self-interest. And Boogie is a really lovely person at his core, so his convictions and opinions are really lovely as a result of that self-interest.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The latest Philosophy Tube video is simultaneously about Immanuel Kant's racism, whether we can separate his moral philosophy from that, and also the constraints of working within academia, especially for people of color.

Though, uh, fair warning that his shirt at the very start is probably NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weiz9wbIcGQ

nine-gear crow posted:

It's not centrism, it's self-interest. And Boogie is a really lovely person at his core, so his convictions and opinions are really lovely as a result of that self-interest.

Yeah, and my noting that Boogie is likely doing this compulsively isn't intended to absolve him of responsibility for his manipulative behavior. He's a lovely manipulative rear end in a top hat but has cultivated enough of a "harmless, well-meaning dude" image that people who are only vaguely aware of him might think that he's being unfairly targeted, when actually he's just lovely.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

nine-gear crow posted:

It's not centrism, it's self-interest.

centrism is self interest above all else hth

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The problem is that "centrism" refers to supporting the ideology of the current ruling class without explicitly identifying it. It's always something vile because otherwise they could say it outright.

We have a term for supporting what the average person on the street supports and it's populism.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've always thought that Centrism was being big huge on the 'Truth is in the Middle' ideology and Boogie is just that taken to it's most powerful form where all things are equal. Burning a cross in the front yard of a black family and forgetting to put more water in your puppy's bowl for an hour are both equally bad.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RareAcumen posted:

I've always thought that Centrism was being big huge on the 'Truth is in the Middle' ideology and Boogie is just that taken to it's most powerful form where all things are equal. Burning a cross in the front yard of a black family and forgetting to put more water in your puppy's bowl for an hour are both equally bad.

Well, no, you see, rational morality requires us to put a certain weight on every bad thing, so actually there's a number, say a million, of times you could forget to put water in your puppy's bowl which will equal how bad burning a cross on a black family's lawn is. Why yes I did stop going to ethics class once I got an A on my trolley problem quiz!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

All along, it was a problem of capitalization. It's not Truth is in the middle. It's Truth is in The Middle, the hit pop punk song by Jimmy Eat World.

quote:

Hey
Don't write yourself off yet
It's only in your head you feel left out or looked down on
Just try your best
Try everything you can
And don't you worry what they tell themselves when you're away

It just takes some time
Little girl, you're in the middle of the ride
Everything, everything will be just fine
Everything, everything will be all right

Hey
You know they're all the same
You know you're doing better on your own so don't buy in
Live right now
Just be yourself
It doesn't matter if that's good enough for someone else

Really, isn't that more truthful than "we should compromise between nuking Iran and nuking nobody by nuking half of Iran"?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RareAcumen posted:

Centrism is the idea that everyone's opinion is valid and we should treat everyone equally. The wheels fall right off when anyone points out that that means "kill all the Jews" must be given equal time as "don't kill the Jews, you racist bigot".

And then the Centrists double-down and get defensive about Centrism.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Centrism is simply embrace of the current political status quo and rejection of anyone, left or right, who seeks to change it. It's small-c conservatism.

Naturally, if the status quo sucks, this makes centrism reprehensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
The way Boogie rationalizes himself as "centrist" is more like "averagist". He's said so many extremely dumb things in so many different ways that have angered so many people, it's like his idiotic opinions make up the extreme circumference of a circle and the average is the center.

And if it's really bad, walking something heinous back the day after he gets backlash puts him at that same starting point, his center.

Psychepath fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 10, 2018