Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

mastershakeman posted:

It's weird that the new system incentives not playing

I went on a long walk with a friend the other day, and being able to get kms without being an anti-social dork playing on my phone was quite a nice bonus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Goon DJK447 I'd really like to coordinate for when I open a gift and don't want to hose you out of the XP.

What's a good time?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Xinder posted:

Is anyone getting calories? I get tons of steps but my calorie counter is at 0.

I don’t really care since I’m not counting calories it’s just weird to me.

Last week my stats were something like 58km walked and 1200 calories burned which I’m pretty sure isn’t quite right..

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
When I go on 10k walk/runs I like to have my phone on me, but the battery with Pogo open generally hates me when I do it, and I'm not going to carry a spare charger with me while I go out so this is really nice.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I think the biggest reason I put down pogo in the first place was the requirement to have your phone open to count distance.

I'm definitely getting more distance tracked now, but it doesn't feel like it's 1:1 with what Apple Health is saying I'm doing. (Gave it full permissions.)

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
yeah i'm only like level 28 and play occasionally because walking around with my phone on is lame as gently caress

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Oxyclean posted:

I think it might just be on a delay? At least I feel like I had steps show up later.

I've read elsewhere that some people are seeing Apple Health data import for up to 15 minutes after opening Go, but I can't weigh in since I'm on an Android.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I ran 4 miles today with just my Apple Watch, no phone, and got credit for a whopping 1.6km.

I got 9km yesterday for more or less standing on one place in a building for 8 hours. It's inconsistent.

mastershakeman posted:

I don't think it incentivizes not playing as much as it lessens the punishment for not playing. Also it allows Go+ and Gotcha players the option to turn the app off if they're out of balls and earn some. It's definitely weird, though, and I now leave the game closed while I walk to the nearby university and only turn it on when I get to the first gym there.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt

Xinder posted:

Is anyone getting calories? I get tons of steps but my calorie counter is at 0.

I don’t really care since I’m not counting calories it’s just weird to me.

The game tells me I have 709 calories at 13,359 steps for what I assume is the week, while Google Fit tells me I have 1,378 calories at 6,268 steps for today. Google Fit seems especially inaccurate for calories, which is a shame cause then I'd have an excuse to eat cheeseburgers with milkshakes after a PoGo run. Steps do not seem accurate for PoGo however, given the runs I've done this week.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
guy who lost 100 lbs here

don't rely on the calorie counter from any fitness tracker it will always be inaccurate and the only count you can rely on is your calculated intake

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

guy who lost 100 lbs here

don't rely on the calorie counter from any fitness tracker it will always be inaccurate and the only count you can rely on is your calculated intake

Not even that I'm afraid. Measuring your calorie consumption within 10% is nigh impossible.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
It’s not even that I care about that. I’m just worried that pogo isn’t tracking calories that translate into distance and reward.

I’m 115 lb and eat everything i see. I’m not worried about burning calories.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Plastik posted:

I got 9km yesterday for more or less standing on one place in a building for 8 hours. It's inconsistent.

On an AW? Yeah if you’re moving your hands around a lot it sometimes counts that as distance. I noticed with the POGO watch app, I could rack up 0.5km by having it run while I took a shower after the gym.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

So remember a few months ago when I posted this batshit insane pricing

I posted:

Aren't things supposed to be cheaper the more you buy? Why is it I can get 1500 coins for 15 bux but the 14.99 pack is only 1200 coins?

I'd raise this issue with Niantic but i fear their "solution" would be to raise the price of the 100 coins rather then make the other options cheaper

Looks like Niantic decided to change it because apparently it wasn't stupid enough...

:psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Does the tracker just kinda work without needing to install anything? It has some steps and calories burned so I assume Google just has something running in the background constantly? I've never gone out and manually installed any fitness tracker or whatever. Non-iPhone here.

endlessmonotony posted:

Not even that I'm afraid. Measuring your calorie consumption within 10% is nigh impossible.

Probably, but when talking about losing weight from being overweight I think watching what you eat is way more important. I've seen people adopt the whole "I did my daily exercise so I can eat what I want" idea way too often.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dragonstoned posted:

Looks like Niantic decided to change it because apparently it wasn't stupid enough...

lmao, you'd have to be silly or lazy to not just keep buying the 99c coins

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

It's so you have more time to play Ingress.

SuperKlaus posted:

Finally got the candy to full evolve a Ralts and I have a nice Lucky Ralts waiting - so do I take the Gardevoir or will Gallade be better when it releases?

Wait until they have a Ralts community day.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

bowmore posted:

lmao, you'd have to be silly or lazy to not just keep buying the 99c coins

Yep, it sure is fun sitting through the transaction animation 15 goddamn times to buy an ultra box.

I've resorted to using google play cards when I need to get things now because I hate having all these bloody 99c transactions on my bank statements. This method also greatly reduces the potential for "over-spending" that can sometimes happen with a f2p game though so it has a minor bonus.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I have been on a crazy shiny roll. Since Saturday, 4 shiny Pinsirs, 1 96% Gengar, a 89% Magikarp, 3 cubones, 2 ponytas, a Natu and an Absol tonight.

The Magikarp made me so happy, I had been looking for one for months.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I got a shiny Shinx today from a raid.

Right next to a dude from my group who didn't even bother saying hi to me who did the raid at the same time, so I immediately took a screenshot and posted it to the group chat to be petty.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
This Adventure Sync thing has done wonders for me. It pretty much increased my egg-hatching rate tenfold and doesn't kill my battery after an hour.

10/10 should've launched the loving game with it

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Dragonstoned posted:

What country is this in again? I thought it was a currency rate issue, but I can't remember.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

PathAsc posted:

What country is this in again? I thought it was a currency rate issue, but I can't remember.

New Zealand, iirc a while back they made 100 coins 99c in a lot of regions where it used to be $1.50 or something? which lead to this odd situation where it was more expensive to buy them in bulk.

Why they increased the price of every other coin pack to make it even worse is beyond me. Although the :tinfoil: in me suspects it has something to do with catching out the people who don't pay attention or notice.

Currency-wise $5usd = $7.40nzd so there is little justification for the increase there.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Dragonstoned posted:

New Zealand, iirc a while back they made 100 coins 99c in

ah land of that famous currency, the dong

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

28766f69642a2930 posted:

ah land of that famous currency, the dong

Isn't that Vietnam? or am I missing something?

I'd like it if it was "Dong" but it's just boring old "New Zealand Dollar"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

NZAmoeba posted:

I went on a long walk with a friend the other day, and being able to get kms without being an anti-social dork playing on my phone was quite a nice bonus

You can have the phone in our pocket if you're just incubating eggs. And if you have a gotcha, that takes care of catching mons and spininng stops.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

There's even a helpful push notification that tells you an egg's about to hatch so you can open up the game and swap out incubators.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Wheany posted:

You can have the phone in our pocket if you're just incubating eggs. And if you have a gotcha, that takes care of catching mons and spininng stops.

Where it would proceed to get extremely warm, and also I'm incapable of ignoring constant vibrating alerts. Plus battery death.

I like that I can now hang out with friends and still get rewards from the game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tangy yet delightful posted:

Also it doesn't count for the research task.

Mine did

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

dwarf74 posted:

Goon DJK447 I'd really like to coordinate for when I open a gift and don't want to hose you out of the XP.

What's a good time?
Last call for goon DJK447. I'm gonna pop an egg and open it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

When I take a gym that some people have held for multiple hours and then someone immediately takes it back one of my favorite things to do is just take it back and then not put anything in so it sits there for ten minutes with nothing.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

On an AW? Yeah if you’re moving your hands around a lot it sometimes counts that as distance. I noticed with the POGO watch app, I could rack up 0.5km by having it run while I took a shower after the gym.

Nope, on an Android. I'm going to blame the fact that I walk around a little bit combined with the fact that GPS doesn't work well in most of the building.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I didn't even know they were working on Adventure Sync but it's by far the most useful update to the game since it was released. I actually get credit for all the walking I do, not just the small amount of walking I do with my phone in my hand.

The rare, sincere, and unsarcastic GOOD JOB VIDEO GAME post

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

IcePhoenix posted:

When I take a gym that some people have held for multiple hours and then someone immediately takes it back one of my favorite things to do is just take it back and then not put anything in so it sits there for ten minutes with nothing.

Yep. I’ve been confronted before by someone at the mall after doing this. It was the person who I had just knocked out no less working one of those sunglasses kiosks.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

I like this. It's the equivalent of just glaring at someone and then going "Really, dude??"

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
haha I never thought of that! I love it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
After increased starter spawns, Halloween with all the ghost Pokémon, and even increased Pontya/Cubone spawns, the current migration feels like total garbage.

I check on my coffee break to see what my go-tcha caught and it’s all trash. (Sadly no Trubbish) Zigzagoons, Whismurs, Spearows, nothing I’d bother checking the IVs on and certainly no interesting shinies.

I got so spoiled by all the semi-events in a row.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

BGrifter posted:

After increased starter spawns, Halloween with all the ghost Pokémon, and even increased Pontya/Cubone spawns, the current migration feels like total garbage.

I check on my coffee break to see what my go-tcha caught and it’s all trash. (Sadly no Trubbish) Zigzagoons, Whismurs, Spearows, nothing I’d bother checking the IVs on and certainly no interesting shinies.

I got so spoiled by all the semi-events in a row.

me, 6 days into an event: godddd when will this endless fountain of event spawns end
me, 1 day after an event: godddd these spawns are all so bad when's the next event

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm begging for dark ratattas to complete that quest line or whatever.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Ideally, I like at least one weekend a month "off".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Sykic posted:

Finally got in touch with the local players so hey, if you're on this list we're going to hit besties tomorrow at 7PM GMT, get your eggs on if you care for it.

Coxymla
lessthansanity
LividLiquid
Lobunny
Plateialumitar
ratatatatatatta
TheDingoman
Urposeppo

Now I'm going back to being annoyed at not getting a shiny ponyta :argh:

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner. Cheers for the heads up! :tipshat: