Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
He's been an all-star for 6 straight years and only had an OBP over .300 for one of them :lol:

snipe edit: salvador perez that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

bewbies posted:

Is Salvy's season the worst ever in which a player won both a Gold Glove and Silver Slugger?

this poo poo is cracking me up though salvy owns

Without looking up any hard stats, I think it mostly is this:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Perez won because he was basically the only qualified catcher lol.

I mean I love Salvy, he is amazing defensively. Considering he missed some time this year, he still hit a good amount of homers for his position.

But it probably comes down to voters looking at the list and going "uhh, yeah, out of the available options, that guy who usually wins I guess".

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Not even bugs get past Salvador Perez.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bewbies posted:

Is Salvy's season the worst ever in which a player won both a Gold Glove and Silver Slugger?

this poo poo is cracking me up though salvy owns

1999 Palmeiro comes to mind, but only because that was the stupidest gold glove in history. His Silver Slugger at DH was well deserved, but he won the Gold Glove for 1B while only playing 28 games at that position.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

There isn’t realistically enough money in baseball for every team to spend 200 million just based on the value of existing TV contracts and such. I don’t know how you could argue that without specifically having access to financials.

Besides the CBT is like $206,000,000. The average salary on that roster makes like $8,300,000.
I can't find the piece right now, but awhile back I read an interesting column that argued every team should be running at a slight loss annually, because the value in sports franchises is their enormous appreciation.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

According to StatCast, Pujols is actually a little faster in running to first base than Brian McCann. How is Pujols faster than anyone at this point?

https://twitter.com/darenw/status/1060653851198545921

He says in the subtweets that this is based on 5 ft splits, whatever that is.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

tadashi posted:

According to StatCast, Pujols is actually a little faster in running to first base than Brian McCann. How is Pujols faster than anyone at this point?

https://twitter.com/darenw/status/1060653851198545921

He says in the subtweets that this is based on 5 ft splits, whatever that is.

McCann had a busted knee this year, so he was even slower than usual

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/WaddleandSilvy/status/1060968788689072136

Uhhhh

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I mean, sure, Bryant for Trout and Ohtani? Why not.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't sound likely

quote:

Theo Epstein, the head of baseball operations, was asked earlier this week at the GM meetings about the availability of Bryant and first baseman Anthony Rizzo in trades.

"We've never operated with untouchables," he said. "It sends the wrong message. Given what we're trying to accomplish, it would be virtually impossible to envision the deal that would make sense to move them. I just don't believe in untouchables. Why limit yourself?"

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bawfuls posted:

I can't find the piece right now, but awhile back I read an interesting column that argued every team should be running at a slight loss annually, because the value in sports franchises is their enormous appreciation.

I can understand that, but at the same time, what owner wouldn’t be a penny-pinching miser and turn a massive profit until such time as the team DOES sell. Consider it like renting a real estate investment before flipping it or collecting the dividends on stock while it’s held.

It’s hard to believe that isn’t Loria’s MO from the get-go, and that’s essentially how capital firms operate: buy low, gut absolutely everything of value, then sell high based on hype and branding to another group doing the same thing.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
The only thing I could see making that work for the Yanks would be like Andujar/Torres/Sheffield. You'd have to give up cost-controlled, good talent plus a high level prospect for someone like Bryant. Doesn't make sense when you can get Machado for only money.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Bryant for Bregman who says no

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kirios posted:

Bryant for Appel

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

I can understand that, but at the same time, what owner wouldn’t be a penny-pinching miser and turn a massive profit until such time as the team DOES sell. Consider it like renting a real estate investment before flipping it or collecting the dividends on stock while it’s held.

It’s hard to believe that isn’t Loria’s MO from the get-go, and that’s essentially how capital firms operate: buy low, gut absolutely everything of value, then sell high based on hype and branding to another group doing the same thing.
Of course, capitalists will extract ever bit of value they can. But the league could (hypothetically) require ever team to be run at break-even or a slight loss and billionaires would still be lining up to buy teams because they'd still make money. It's just a thought experiment to undermine ownership cries of poverty.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

That's just clickbait. I think Theo said nothing is ever off the table, but obviously people like Bryant, Rizzo, and Baez would be extremely unlikely to move.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

And with that, it's officially silly season. I love this time of year.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kirios posted:

Me. Why would we trade a 24-year old who's just had two breakout seasons for a 26-year old Boras client with lingering shoulder issues and one less year of team control?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The true reason the Cubs aren't spending is because they're going to burn it all down and tank again, I guess.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Sydin posted:

The true reason the Cubs aren't spending is because they're going to burn it all down and tank again, I guess.

:yeshaha:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Popete posted:

Doesn't sound likely

"I don't believe in untouchables, but uh, there's literally no trades we would accept for this guy."

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think Theo was just being pedantic. Of course there is no such thing as an untouchable player. If you offered Trout for Bryant straight up every GM in the league would take that. But that's likely never going to happen so "it's hard to envision a deal that would move Bryant/Rizzo".

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Bryant for Appel

Just a little worse than Bryant for Carlos Rodon, the guy people thought they regretted that the Cubs passed on.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 9, 2018

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

https://twitter.com/Rotoworld_BB/status/1060990814615207937 :circlefap:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I loving hate the Indians lol

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

YES, BRING THEM TO ME CASH.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Popete posted:

I think Theo was just being pedantic. Of course there is no such thing as an untouchable player. If you offered Trout for Bryant straight up every GM in the league would take that. But that's likely never going to happen so "it's hard to envision a deal that would move Bryant/Rizzo".

Yeah, but I got amusement out of Padres Twitter rushing to explain which ones of our prospects they wouldn't trade for Kris Bryant.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

This dark terror filled reality only grows darker. Every trade to the Yankees only leads us further from the light.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
For both Kluber and Carrasco we will take your Large Adult Son, Gleyber, and 2-4 of your top prospects.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Cleveland is pathetic. They slither into the playoffs year after year since the AL Central is unabashed garbage, get smoked by superior teams, and instead of investing to address their poo poo outfield and make a genuine run for the title they strip payroll confident that they can still float in past their awful division-mates, guaranteeing yet another ALDS stomping.

Disgraceful.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

For both Kluber and Carrasco we will take your Large Adult Son, Gleyber, and 2-4 of your top prospects.

You'll get Sonny Gray and Greg Bird and you'll like it.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/mets/status/1060999898089377794?s=21

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

i have one barely used Alex Verdugo here for you

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I do genuinely wonder how these discussions start though. I mean, Cleveland doesn’t have to do a goddamned thing. They’re going to get to the post season for at least one more year. How much do they have to offer for the Cleveland FO to take it seriously?

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000

bawfuls posted:

i have one barely used Alex Verdugo here for you
I have to assume for Kluber and Carrasco it would take one of Bellinger/Seager/Puig and Verdugo and prospects.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I don't know why Cleveland would want 1 year of Puig. In reality I'd like the Dodgers to target one of those pitchers for Verdugo and whatever smaller pieces get thrown in.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
Makes sense to me too, but IANAMLBGM:shobon:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

GalacticAcid posted:

investing to address their poo poo outfield and make a genuine run for the title

They had one of the worst bullpens in baseball last season. 4.60 ERA with a 1.335 WHIP and a .772 OPS against.

They scored 5+ runs a game with a 105 OPS+ as a team.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lol I didn't even realize that. God I resent that division's ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

GalacticAcid posted:

Lol I didn't even realize that. God I resent that division's ease.

The outfield wasn't "good" by any means, and could certainly use some upgrades. Brantley is good and has been good forever, but the rest of them were certainly the weak part of their offense. But, scoring runs wasn't really an issue for them. It was scoring enough runs to get by their horrible bullpen.