Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

FUJOSHI! Dirty Rotten Shippers! is the working title for the hot new prototype by Meltwater designer and raving malcontent Erin Lee Escobedo, aka yr gal pal Gutter Owl!

FUJOSHI! is a romance and matchmaking card game for 2-4 players. You and your most romance-addled rivals conspire to make seven attractive anime boys (or even g...girls!?) kiss each other for fun and pervertprofit!

At the start of the game, players pick the relationships they want to bet on, then spend their turns scouting, convincing, and cajoling the NPC protagonists to fall for the right partner. Successful pairings score points, and rare pairs score a bonus!

Weird theme aside, this is a middleweight card game that should provide a nice crunchy experience, drawing from inspirations like Argent and Pax Renaissance. You could even call it a dutch-auction based tableau builder, except the tableaus you're building are all neutral NPCS in the middle of the board, and you're trying to bet on which tableaus will synergize the best.

But that's boring, and you're boring, and it's time to kiss the animes.

The latest playtest version of the rules can be found here, and the playtest cards can be found here.

For our distaff counterpart, we'll be sending El Fideo, Some Numbers, Chaotic Flame, and hito into the all-girls academy to duke it out in the name of love. Comments and jeers from the peanut gallery are welcome, of course. Make sure to remind the players that they're wrong and their ships are wrong at every possible opportunity.

Of course, before we can begin, we need a couple votes from our players. Players, please report in with your choices:
  • Are we playing Standard Monogamy, Soft Triangles, or full Polyamory?
  • Are we playing with the Yandere variant?

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Not knowing much, I'm going to vote for Standard and no Yandere, so I can get a handle on the game.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Never not include yanderes.

What's the fun if blood doesn't run?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Standard but with Yandere. Maybe we'll see a nice boat at the end.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Chaotic Flame posted:

Standard but with Yandere. Maybe we'll see a nice boat at the end.

Hahaha, holy poo poo I did not expect to see that reference.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
I want to try out whatever the "most competitive" variant is; ie, if someone was going to run a Fujoshi tournament, whichever settings would be chosen for that.

But if that's not really well-defined yet then I can just defer my vote and leave it to the others.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, that's pretty ill-defined, and I think would depend on the organizer, though I imagine Standard Monogamy and Yandere Monogamy would be the two most popular tournament variants.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I second Standard and No Yandere.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
I guess I will third Standard/No Yandere then! But I will also do the bookkeeping that would be done for Soft Triangles to see if it would make a difference in the end.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Looks like Standard, No Yandere then. Let's meet the eligible confirmed bachelorettes.

(If you're having trouble reading the cards, you can rightclick and Open Image in New Tab for a better look. Ignore the fact that Red's missing her desire cards, I just had a layer hidden. Whoops.)

Two coins start on the Rumor card. Turn order is El Fideo (¥500) > Some Numbers (¥500) > Chaotic Flame (¥600) > hito (¥600).

We start with the Secrets and Betting Phase. In player order, please announce which desire card you're peeking at (e.g. Red Outermost). I'll secretly PM you which card you saw, and then you'll secretly PM back with your three Act 1 ships in ranked order.

Once everyone's done that, we'll start the buying rounds with El Fideo and our gal Blue!

El Fideo, which card will you peek at?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I wish to know the outermost desires of Pink!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Since I'm having trouble differentiating the colors right now, I'll just take Mercury's outermost desire.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

And I'll look at Yellow's outermost desires!

hito
Feb 13, 2012

I'm going to write out my rationale for certain choices in-thread as spoiler so Gutter Owl can see how at least one new player thinks. Other players in game, please use honor system and don't read the spoilers.

I'll look at Red's outermost desires.

If no one manipulates focus (a big if for player 4, granted), I end up on Yellow. But the only gifts are the accessories, and we already see two in the bank. It's pretty dangerous to go for one, since whenever someone plays one, another player is guaranteed to be able to counter it. This might lead to a weird standoff where no one takes one at all! (If it looks like that's happening, I might use it on a red herring hoping to have it countered and mislead people.).

Going one focus after default is probably smart anyway, though - it means I'm good if one person moves focus once, and if no one does and I REALLY want to use that person it's only 100. There's also two athletic cards in the bank and a Sports Team club drive. So I think I'll choose Red so I know who a good target for her is. Then I can try to learn her targets Secret desire later.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Since I'm having trouble differentiating the colors right now, I'll just take Mercury's outermost desire.

For the record, the character colors are written under their printed desire banner.

Peeks sent! Everyone, please send me your three ships in ranked order.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gutter Owl posted:

For the record, the character colors are written under their printed desire banner.

Thank you, that’s actually super helpful!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

(Rightclick and Open Image in New Tab.)

El Fideo ¥500
Some Numbers ¥500
Chaotic Flame ¥600
hito ¥600

Alright! All shipping charts are in. We'll begin with El Fideo. Focus starts on Blue.

El Fideo, would you like to pay to move focus? And will you buy a card, hit the rumor mill, or pass?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I will not shift the focus, but I wish to purchase the CLUB DRIVE card, to be used on its STUDENT COUNCIL side.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

The Student Council is headhunting! Study cards are ¥100 cheaper for the time being.

El Fideo ¥300
Some Numbers ¥500 :h:
Chaotic Flame ¥600
hito ¥600

Some Numbers, you're up!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

No moving the focus. I'll buy the Athletic move card and move Violet two spaces.

If I'm visualizing this right, that should cost ¥300 and Violet will end up between Red and Yellow?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

No moving the focus. I'll buy the Athletic move card and move Violet two spaces.

If I'm visualizing this right, that should cost ¥300 and Violet will end up between Red and Yellow?

Correct on movement, but the cost is only ¥200. The job cards don't cost extra money like the gifts. they actually increase a character's pocket money, and thus ability to buy gifts.

Still want it?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I think they mean the card in the top row.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gutter Owl posted:

Correct on movement, but the cost is only ¥200. The job cards don't cost extra money like the gifts. they actually increase a character's pocket money, and thus ability to buy gifts.

Still want it?

Oh, I was looking at the card directly above that one and I'm clearly counting the coins wrong.

If I buy the Bike Courier job for Violet, will I have enough to buy any of the fashionable accessories?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

I don't think so. Two coins to reach bike courier, then three coins to reach the top row accessory, and the Accessory would cost an additional ¥100 (because even with the job Violet is broke as gently caress). That's ¥600, so just shy.

As for counting coins: Let's say you decide you want the Athletics card on top. You'd need to put one coin on each card to its left in the row (treating the Rumor card like it's in both rows). So one coin on the Rumors, and one on the Kindness card. You don't need to put one on the Athletics card itself. Does that help?

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 12, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gutter Owl posted:

As for counting coins: Let's say you decide you want the Athletics card on top. You'd need to put one coin on each card to its left in the row (treating the Rumor card like it's in both rows). So one coin on the Rumors, and one on the Kindness card. You don't need to put one on the Athletics card itself. Does that help?

Yep, I was thinking it was an extra coin for the card itself.

For ease of turn 1, I'm going to take the first card in the top row and get myself more cash.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Some Numbers pops a coin into Rumors, only to immediately dump it out onto the floor.

El Fideo ¥400
Some Numbers ¥700
Chaotic Flame ¥700 :h:
hito ¥700

Chaotic Flame is up!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'm going to pay to move the focus marker twice (to Red) and then will buy the top left athletic card and move Red one space to the right (so she's between orange & green).

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Red goes for a light turn-order disrupting jog.

El Fideo ¥400
Some Numbers ¥700
Chaotic Flame ¥400
hito ¥700 :h:

hito is up!

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Alright, now my spoilers where I write thought process for GO/spectators include info I got from PMs, so please REALLY don't hover if you're another player in the game. :)

I'm going to spend 1 coin to burn the leftmost Fashionable Accessory and start a Rumors round on Orange's outermost desire.

For spectators: my ships are Red/Orange, Indigo/Green, and Orange/Yellow, in that order. Red's secret desire is Prefers the Best.

The move by Chaotic Flame is heartening - it's a move I was planning, so there's a chance he has the same Red/Orange ship I do. Rare Pair is nice and all but having someone else hustle for your #1 ship is nice too. Not gonna try to read too much into Some Numbers / El Fideo's plays, they could mean a lot of things.

I have basically four moves here that I see:

1.) Green gives Indigo the accessory. It's just for the point for giving a gift, not because it matches the desire, so I'm not heartbroken if someone uses the secondary power to deny it. This only costs 100 yen because of pocket change.
2.) Green gives YELLOW the gift as a bluff. Misleads people about my ships and hopefully scares someone else into investing to clear it. Because yellow cares about gifts this is the most likely play to get denied. But I'm not sure if there's mechanical value in bluffing this much. This also only costs 100 yen.
3.) Green studies with Indigo. This costs 400 yen, which is a lot, but it makes Indigo love Green AND puts them closer together, so it's a power move.
4.) Just fire Rumors to get to the bottom of Orange, Green, or Indigo. It's a decent round to rumors because I can buy while only paying 1 coin and trashing something I don't want, and the sellers don't make too much money.

I'll do 4. 3 is tempting because it's a lot of value, but I bet I can make the same play for cheaper somewhere down the line.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

hito, your thoughts are incredibly helpful for playtesting, and I'm very grateful for them! However, I'd prefer you PM me your thoughts, and I can include them for spectators in the postgame writeup. That way no one has to worry about accidental cheating.

Would that work for you?

El Fideo > Some Numbers > Chaotic Flame > Hito, in that order: . Will you BUY or SELL?

The target is orange's outermost desire. There are three coins on the Rumors card.

Buy: Spend ¥100 (except hito, who paid in advance). Peek at the desire, vote to move Orange.
Sell: Split all money on the rumor card evenly, rounded down.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Buy

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Sell!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Buy

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Gutter Owl posted:

hito, your thoughts are incredibly helpful for playtesting, and I'm very grateful for them! However, I'd prefer you PM me your thoughts, and I can include them for spectators in the postgame writeup. That way no one has to worry about accidental cheating.

Would that work for you?

Sure.

I'll buy.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

El Fideo pockets a cool ¥600 from the crowd. Nice.

Sending PMs now. Some Numbers, Chaotic Flame, hito: It's 2PM PST now. You have 24 hours to come to a unanimous decision on if you're moving Orange one space in either direction or leaving her put. If a decision can't be reached, or if someone declares that they're refusing to work with the others, then Orange will stay where she is.

I recommend using the #playtest channel in the boardgoons discord to hash out any deals.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 13, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gutter Owl posted:

El Fideo pockets a cool ¥600 from the crowd. Nice.

Sending PMs now. Some Numbers, Chaotic Flame, hito: It's 3PM PST now. You have 24 hours to come to a unanimous decision on if you're moving Orange one space in either direction or leaving her put. If a decision can't be reached, or if someone declares that they're refusing to work with the others, then Orange will stay where she is.

I recommend using the #playtest channel in the boardgoons discord to hash out any deals.

As of this post, it's just after 2 pm PST.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

ahaha i'm very awake, thanks for the catch.

(I live in Arizona, which doesn't do daylight savings time. So half the year we're on PST, half the year we're on MST, and I sometimes forget which one we're on in the spring/fall.)

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Can someone post a link to the boardgoon discord?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

https://discordapp.com/invite/DWnexP3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Scintillating lack of discussion.

I officially don't care if Orange moves

• Locked thread