Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think it's fine that people have different definitions of the word art, but for me it's pretty cut and dry. Art is something that someone finds artistic value in and that's pretty much it. The subjective part is why they find artistic value in it, and not if it qualifies as art in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

veni veni veni posted:

I think it's fine that people have different definitions of the word art, but for me it's pretty cut and dry. Art is something that someone finds artistic value in and that's pretty much it. The subjective part is why they find artistic value in it, and not if it qualifies as art in the first place.

yes, but obviously people have to assign meaning to something for there to be a possible hypothetical consensus on its value. what is your personal subjective definition of art?

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
hey, so i was meaning to get myself out there in terms of commissions and i'm not sure where to start in terms of digital art. i got a few way back but nowadays, i keep screwing up and not getting paid due to miscommunication.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Where are you looking for them? It's something I'm looking at as well, but I have no idea where to start.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

All I know is that there are people out there who get real antsy about art-as-an-emotion, and the fact that art isn't a universal constant that you can use to brand things as Definitely Art™.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVFasyCvEOg

I miss Hennessey Youngman.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Wooooh what a crazy inktober rite? I mean we were all doing it yeah? YEAH.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hell ye'ah!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah! Though I'm kinda glad that it's done and I can take a... lol, nope, straight onto the next project.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
#everydayisinktober

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Ink in mah veins, ink in mah brains.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

6 hours sleep
8 hours work
12 hours inking
2 hours travel

Someone help me budget this, my brain is dying.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That's... a problem. Sneak in inking at work? Sleep while travelling?

It's the local illustration fair this weekend. They didn't want me, so I'll be pouting a bit. And stealing everyone's ideas. I think the main reason I didn't get in was just not having enough stuff, everyone always has badges and pins and posters and all sorts of stuff. I don't.

Of course, the problem is finding the cash to build up a stock of random tat merch so that I can try to sell it and actually turn a profit. Ordered some postcards today, I think button badges are next on the list. Assuming I don't spend all my cash at the fair. :shepspends:

lofi fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 2, 2018

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

lofi posted:

That's... a problem. Sneak in inking at work? Sleep while travelling?

It's the local illustration fair this weekend. They didn't want me, so I'll be pouting a bit. And stealing everyone's ideas. I think the main reason I didn't get in was just not having enough stuff, everyone always has badges and pins and posters and all sorts of stuff. I don't.

Of course, the problem is finding the cash to build up a stock of random tat merch so that I can try to sell it and actually turn a profit. Ordered some postcards today, I think button badges are next on the list. Assuming I don't spend all my cash at the fair. :shepspends:

This is the site I use for my crap: https://zapcreatives.com
They do stickers, plastic and wooden charms, metal charms and pins (too expensive imo). They can take their sweet time getting your products done during busy seasons like approaching christmas, but the quality has always been good, and the prices are affordable and you get to pick many different designs for smallish runs, which is the reason I use them. The reason they're cheap is because you do all the work to prepare the products for their machines - they've got premade templates and guides on how you should set them up.
Anyway, it's pretty easy to make your own fridge magnets by ordering magnets from aliexpress and gluing them on some plastic charms, or making your own keychains by ordering keychain locks - again from aliexpress because yesss cheap china poo poo is the best - and then doing some plierwork with bits of chain and jump rings. Same for pin backs - most of my findings I get off alix. I haven't made jewellery, but that would be easy enough as well from the charms, but you're better off looking to your local craft stores or goldsmith suppliers if you want real silver string or findings.

If you've not used alix before, certain reservations apply when ordering stuff direct from china. Keep smart, check reviews, always read any text in the listing, double-check size and material. Just 'cause the listing headline says "steel jump ring" doesn't mean that the actual info inside the listing says the material is steel and also neither is the product and now you're wondering why you didn't just pay the 20 cents more to get the actual steel ones like you did before.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Thanks, that's really helpful advice for where I'm at right now - starting to put together some inventory for Next Time.

The Illustration fair was vaugely terrifying, there had to have been over a hundred stalls, all with such amazing stuff. Christ knows how anyone makes a profit off the thing, but I guess they must or they wouldn't do it, right?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I知 in the final stages of prep for my first art fair, and oh vey I知 starting to feel the pressure

I think the final total of prints is going to be around 150, and I have seriously no clue how much of that is coming back home with me.

Hive mind: how much would you pay for 8x10, 11x14, and 16x16? My initial thought for price is $20/25/30, but could I do 20/30/40?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

My advice from what I saw yesterday is to be ready to adjust, know what your minimum is - I saw some stalls that had overpriced stuff relative to the ones around them, and they seemed pretty dead. I don't have a clue on what prices you should go for beyond that, I'm super-skint so that biases me badly.

Your prints look really good!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

lofi posted:

Christ knows how anyone makes a profit off the thing, but I guess they must or they wouldn't do it, right?

Faires can be hit or miss, where especially multi-day events can have days where you sell nothing all day and days where you're struggling to keep up with the sales. It can just be luck, depending on how well your art matches the personalities of the people who come over. I've only done a few, and never came out of them empty-handed, but I've seen other people selling different kind of stuff get practically no sales. I learned a lot just talking to the other sellers around me.

Presentation can mean a lot! If you haven't thought about how you're gonna set up your table when you get your faire, now's a good time to get building some simple display thingies - like ..scaffoldings? (I really don't know the word for the setups) that rise up that you can set on your table so you can get as much of your art on display as possible. There's too much to see at faires for people whose interest you don't immediately catch to thumb through a portfolio.

dupersaurus posted:

I think the final total of prints is going to be around 150, and I have seriously no clue how much of that is coming back home with me.

Hive mind: how much would you pay for 8x10, 11x14, and 16x16? My initial thought for price is $20/25/30, but could I do 20/30/40?

Congrats on finishing The Grind! Honestly the prices are gonna depend on your local price range, I hope you have a friend to help you so you can scope out the competition during the day! Keep your numbers padded enough so you can take some off to convince a hesitant buyer or to offer a combo deal if someone wants several pieces. I am also personally a cheapskate and would probably buy at the lower price range and hesitate at the 40. Then again, there are people - not artists 'cause all artists are poors - who don't even blink at dropping 100 bux on a casual fair purchase. It might be a good idea to have a few "rare prints" at a higher price, that you haven't made many of to see if anyone bites.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

dupersaurus posted:

I知 in the final stages of prep for my first art fair, and oh vey I知 starting to feel the pressure

I've had good luck using a "day rate" to calculate costs for things I make, it keeps things concrete and prevents me from under-charging like I always want to do.

• Give yourself an hourly wage - for beginning printmakers, $50/hour is a good place to start. As you get better/more well-known/faster you can increase this.
  • Assume that a day's work is 10 hours. So, for example's sake that works out to $500/per day.
  • The smallest unit of time that you calculate from is a day. Every batch of things that you make takes at minimum 1 day. This means that you will automatically be including costs for things that you don't normally think about when printmaking - time spent buying materials, gas bought to go buy materials, cleanup time, setup time, etc.
  • After a run of prints is done, take your day rate ($500), multiply by the number of days you spent making the print (say, one day for carving the wood, one day for printing, so 2 in this example), then divide by how many sellable prints you ended up with. That should give you a fair price for your labor, while also forcing you to include extra time/money for things you don't normally care about like driving time, etc.
  • Once you get that amount, you can round up or down to get a nice even number and set price tiers for different sizes. You can also definitely adjust prices at the fair to be nearer to the going rate for things there, but the amount you en up with should be a pretty fair price.

In addition, I've also had some luck selling misprints at a discounted price, with a couple tiers of misprints ranging from huge mistakes (printed one color upside down, color didn't take, etc) for 80-90% off, to smaller mistakes (small scratches or <1mm misalignment) being 10-15% off.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Awww yeah, look at these beauties arrived today:

I'm well pleased with how they've come out, it's like I can't appreciate my art till it's mass produced. Makes it feel more real, somehow.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

dupersaurus posted:

What kind of art fair is it? Juried, indoor, outdoor?

After doing fairs for 5+ years, the thing that stands out the most to me is that different fairs have vastly different outcomes. I have done crafty fairs where no one seemed to buy anything from anyone and been in juried fairs with long histories where I sell multiple originals. I have also been in juried fairs where I didn't make the booth fee back and my neighbors complained of poor sales. I've been in church basements where I sold like crazy. You might have to try different fairs to see where your clients are.

I sell 5x7s matted to 8x10 for $25 and these are giclees, not hand pulled prints. I would start with your 8x10s at $25 or more. I bought a 10x10" screen print for myself this year for $30 FWIW. My best sellers are greeting cards for $5.

My "business model" - if you could call it that - is completely different than hand-pulled prints though. I make 2-4 large drawings a year and each takes maybe 100 hours. I scan and sell prints I make with a giclee printer I bought myself and mat them because I have a source of cheap scrap mats. I am lucky if I sell one large original a year, but I sell several 5x7 matted to 8x10 and a few 8x10 matted to 11x14" each show, along with 10-25 cards. I make my card printing fuckups into magnets and have sold a few as well. I have found people like to have something affordable to buy. On the other hand, I know successful art fair artists who go the completely opposite route and would never sell anything under $50. My art is so niche that I assume I won't sell the originals, but I can make them worth the work they take by selling the prints and I think I at least break even in that respect.

Art fairs are a complex beast. I love them and they can be completely demoralizing and exhausting. They can also be magical. I hope yours goes well for you.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

lofi posted:

I'm well pleased with how they've come out, it's like I can't appreciate my art till it's mass produced. Makes it feel more real, somehow.
it's weird how that works, isn't it? i got some of mine printed as cards the other day and it's like, hey once this stuff is out of my hands and becomes a physical object it's actually quite nice to look at. yours look fantastic btw, you've got a great style for print

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

:3: Thanks! I mostly draw comics, so I guess it makes sense my style fits print well.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

It痴 the city痴 big holiday craft market, kinda the spirit of an outdoor market inside. This is my first one so I知 definitely going in blind and seeing what I can learn. It痴 going to be interesting...

lofi posted:

Snazzy

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Our cosplay/photography team is guesting at a mini-con this weekend. Really looking forward to it since it's at a library and a bit more education focused which we're big on (some members are doing panels on costume planning/budgeting and wig styling). Hopefully we do end up selling more prints compared to a somewhat unofficial outing at a local retrogaming convention.

Now if I could just get another local convention to actually reply to me about our Dealers Room application. I've tried multiple ways to get any info out of them and have been met with pretty much complete silence. Though the fact they have yet to announce any guests less than two months before the event does not give me much confidence.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

ReverendHammer posted:

Our cosplay/photography team is guesting at a mini-con this weekend. Really looking forward to it since it's at a library and a bit more education focused which we're big on (some members are doing panels on costume planning/budgeting and wig styling). Hopefully we do end up selling more prints compared to a somewhat unofficial outing at a local retrogaming convention.

Now if I could just get another local convention to actually reply to me about our Dealers Room application. I've tried multiple ways to get any info out of them and have been met with pretty much complete silence. Though the fact they have yet to announce any guests less than two months before the event does not give me much confidence.

God drat that Whataburger set. Even without the model, it would still be hot af.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

XBenedict posted:

God drat that Whataburger set. Even without the model, it would still be hot af.

We'll have a couple of prints from that set available at the mini-con and I'm really curious how those will go over. I mean it's pretty much the most Texas as gently caress thing we've done so far.

Well, maybe up until we turn Tacocat into her own food based original character.

whattodo
Aug 4, 2010
Maybe you gentlegoons can help me. I want to commission a digital painting that can be printed out and framed. Basically I want a classical piece of artwork changed slightly a couple items removed and new things added. I know I am being vague, but it's something to do with the forums.

Along the same lines as this thing here:

https://www.stufftoblowyourmind.com/blogs/art-spotlight-one-nation-under-cthulhu.htm

but I don't want nearly as much changed really.

What's the best way to go about finding someone to do this? Should I make a post in SA Mart? I looked at some random commission website briefly at a bunch of random anime characters people will draw me, but maybe there are better ones.

Thanks for any input.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

The jobs thread should be able to help you.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Do you know or follow any artists who work in a similar style to what you want done? If yes then try asking them what their commission prices are.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Exciting news (for me)! My comics are now for sale at the local comic shop! Sweet sweet validation, now I'm at least as proper artist as everyone else on the indie rack that's pretty much behind the door!

(The irony is that my first thing in there isn't a 'real' comic, but a compilation of my Inktober work)

Now I just gotta wait for those sweet sale-or-return megabux to start rolling in, and work on something else from the comfort of my new mansion for when the Inktober books get stale.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Hey any of y'alls got any tattooing knowledge? I know very little, just bits and bobs. I've been asked to design a tattoo, again, and after the last time when I swore I never never NEVER would do it again, again... still said "yea ok".
I know not to put too much detail in small areas, but I've now seen several of my designs being inked like line weight is not a Thing at all. It has severely hosed up the results where the tattoo artist has just gone through the middle of lines with a needle thinner than the lines were meant for, including just ignoring shadows bound into the lines.

Should I hedge my bets and design for just one line weight, assuming the rest will be area-fill or greyscale in order to make it less gently caress-uppable by the tattoo artist? Or can I do various line weights with "lol it's your problem if you go cheap on your artist"?

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
Maybe try the tattoo megathread in YLLS. There's at least a handful of tattoo artists in there might be able to give you some pointers.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Yessss great idea, thanks!

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Hey any of y'alls got any tattooing knowledge? I know very little, just bits and bobs. I've been asked to design a tattoo, again, and after the last time when I swore I never never NEVER would do it again, again... still said "yea ok".
I know not to put too much detail in small areas, but I've now seen several of my designs being inked like line weight is not a Thing at all. It has severely hosed up the results where the tattoo artist has just gone through the middle of lines with a needle thinner than the lines were meant for, including just ignoring shadows bound into the lines.

Should I hedge my bets and design for just one line weight, assuming the rest will be area-fill or greyscale in order to make it less gently caress-uppable by the tattoo artist? Or can I do various line weights with "lol it's your problem if you go cheap on your artist"?

I would design it with the intention that the tattoo artist will make alterations to make it function as a piece of body art, and make sure that your customer understands the difference between going to a cheap artist and a good artist. There's more to think about than just line weight, and a good tattoo artist will be able to get variations in line weight as well as altering the tattoo so that it fits into the curves and bumps of the area it's being tattooed on - the human body doesn't have any flat areas on it and a decent artist will be able to work with that fact, rather than just being a human xerox machine that exists only to copy designs.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
ignore everything everyone in this thread all said tattoo the person with like an exacto blade or paper clip and some ink you have been collecting in your prison toilet from bic pens from the consignement store.make it of a bad rear end robed lizard cracking the world open like an egg and spilling the molten core into space. anyway guys gotta run my consignment internet rental is almost over, it too me 87 hours of work to afford the ten minute session

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

FunkyAl posted:

ignore everything everyone in this thread all said tattoo the person with like an exacto blade or paper clip and some ink you have been collecting in your prison toilet from bic pens from the consignement store.make it of a bad rear end robed lizard cracking the world open like an egg and spilling the molten core into space. anyway guys gotta run my consignment internet rental is almost over, it too me 87 hours of work to afford the ten minute session

Finally some real advice! I already got my ink made from the charred bones of my enemies. I'm also using the bones as the needles. It's gonna be a wizard skull with a skull tattoo. Tattooed on their skull.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I find the best thing to do when someone asks me to design a tattoo for them is tell them yes and then just never do it.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Print out a dickbutt and charge them :10bux:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Baby's first art fair is in the books and it was surprisingly... medium? Total sales were more than I expected but less than I hoped for (about half of them to friends), but I managed to pay for all of the one-time investments and then maybe 75% of the supply costs on top of that.

But I learned a lot from watching people wander by and browse that should carry over good for next time:
  • The three pieces I thought would be popular were (although weren't the best sellers...), and it might be worth having more big hero pieces
  • I spent a lot of time agonizing over pricing, but it seemed like most of the browsers left before price became an issue. Or maybe they were sneaky about seeing the price, although I think I could have made pricing more visible. I'll probably knock the pricing down on my paintings, though.
  • I should have been quicker on offering discounts, there was one woman in particular agony over two pieces that I retrospectively regret not giving a discount. Towards the end of the last day a woman really wanted my big piece but was about to compromise on a small one, so I quickly gave her a cut to split the difference.
  • I don't need to make 20+ prints of each piece
  • (EDIT) The number of times square knew someone's email or phone to for receipts is a liiiiiitle creepy

I'm actually pretty interested to do more markets. This was targeted as a holiday shopping opportunity, so I wonder if the mindset of the shoppers were different than at one of the spring or summer shows. But now to see how good Etsy can be to me.

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Glad it went well!