Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
We can pour tea with our giant robot's tiny hands. Can the other giant robots do that? I think not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

It doesn't count as a war-crime if its against Xenos. :colbert:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CourValant posted:

It does, just not as a crime against humanity.

Not Alex posted:

The L2 mech is vulnerable to hacking, has half the armament slots of the other shells, and disappears from existence if you roll poorly while teleporting. Boo, I say.

At least the Mourning Cloak actually comes back if you roll triples and pop out of existence. In earlier iterations of the game that was it for your character, time to make a new one.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CourValant posted:

Good man :hf:

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
L4

These were all really good choices, but everything Horus throws out is fascinating and I want to be a part of all that madness.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

:respek:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I initially wanted L1 because it's a big meaty mecha, but L4 the Battling Seizure Robot has won my heart.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

"Hey guys, check out my new mech! Why are you all twitching like that? I don't hear any music. The hell is wrong with you fucks?'

PoultryGeist posted:

Or they're the head of a Sicilian 'social club' that has a penchant for Swedish pop music

:supaburn:

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
As much as I love all things HORUS, the Tortuga is just too badass to pass up.

L1

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Not Alex posted:

We can pour tea with our giant robot's tiny hands. Can the other giant robots do that? I think not.

The little t-rex hands are for hacking the gibson on devices with human-size keyboards without having to get out.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
As much as you’ve come to enjoy the stoic Liyongese, especially dear Captain Okafor, this is way too much money to leave on the table. You mash your thumb onto the pad, smiling when the tingle indicating a successful bioprint authorization shivers your hand. Administrator Bainly smiles bureaucratically, rising to give you a farewell handclasp.

I and the Union Administrative Department thank you for your service, and wish you well in your future endeavors.” You give him a #2 Smile.

”My pleasure, mon Administrateur. Union is welcome to give me large amounts of manna whenever they’d like.” You let the handclasp end and collect your pad. You’re halfway to the door when you remember something. Turning back, you catch Bainly’s eye as he’s about to say something to DILIGENCE.

”By the way Administrator, L'Étranger says hello.”

Bainly simply looks at you, confused. There’s a blur at his side though, as DILIGENCE crosses the distance and has your upper arm in a soft but insistent grip before you can react. ”Thank you for your time Pilot, but the Administrator has further duties to attend to. Good day.”

You’re hustled out of the office politely but firmly. DILIGENCE definitely has some non-civilian mods on her subaltern, she was able to manhandle you with ease. As you raise your pad to message the good Captain, you notice a new message on it. Short, simple, and no originating address.

You’ve been given the carrot. Don’t make me use the stick.

+++++
Amarkantak Station, Main Promenade

At the very least, the Liyongese have decided that caffeine is alright by them, and have dedicated a fair amount of time to perfecting their own version of espresso. Not quite as good as an up-hive Cioelle café, but its not bad. Captain Okafor has waited until the waiter came back with your orders, and is now looking pensively into her drink. You motion to the impressive view from the cafe’s balcony overlooking the station’s spinal transport hub. ”Good view, good company, good drink. Whatever is causing you to miss such things must be important, mon Capitaine.”

Her head snaps up at this, anger blazing in her eyes. ”Just Mz Okafor now Pilot River, I have been… placed on administrative leave by High Command. Pending a full review of my actions during Operation HOUSECLEANING, where my demotion and corresponding loss of merit may be made permanent.” Her voice has grown steadily louder, drawing some attention from other patrons. She takes a deep breath before continuing. ”Clade Okafor has always been a thorn in High Command’s side, so being able to pin HOUSECLEANING and the entire Wayward Son incident on one of its members is very appealing to them. But!”
She pulls out a pad and places it on the table. Its a deep-space chart of the DURANGO REACH, with several spots highlighted. ”I and my clade-mates aren’t going to take this laying down. Based on your radiation exposure on Tyrant-3, Okafor Deep Orbital has been scanning for regions of elevated high-energy muon levels. We’ve found several, and I’d like your help looking into them. Its no Intrepid Dawn, but our Watchful Makeda is a good deep-space scout with ple-”

Okafor’s pitch is interrupted by the harsh sound of metal hitting stone. Looking up, you see a robotic shell approaching, the most primitive you’ve ever seen:

The Captain looks less confused than you, but still a bit puzzled. "Its a PERSISTENCE subaltern I think. You hardly ever see them since the colonial authority transfer to High Command. Hello! Is that you PERSISTENCE?” The robot nods its head as it stops in front of your table.

Voiceprint match to Okafor, Binti C2G8I47091. Congratulations Binti, we are pleased to announce that you are first to die!

A cloud of sparkling gas bursts out of the subalterns hand. No, not gas. Coils of mono-atomic fiber, barely visible to the naked eye stream towards Okafor. And with a simple application of charge, the coils will snap straight and cut anything in their path…

A: Jump Out of the Way (No Roll)
Just get out of the line of cutting death
B: Tackle the Subaltern (Brawl +0)
Knock the subaltern back before it can entangle the captain
C: Tackle the Captain Out of the Way (Maneuver +0)
Jump across and get her out of the way
D: Use the Table and Chairs as Weapons (Flash +1)
The furniture won’t stop the monofilaments, but you could redirect the attack

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

D, kicking over a table, cracking a barstool over the baddie's head, and running away is of course the most Dashing Slightly Rumpled And Oily Rogue thing to do.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
D We took the swashbuckler template might as well use it!

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

D

I've been digging the noir in this arc.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Azhais posted:

D We took the swashbuckler template might as well use it!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
D

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

D. Let us buckle some swash!

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

D Buckle all the swashes.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
D

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Give'em the D.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
D

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

This subforum has a granD tradition of flipping tables.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A. Do you know how sharp mono-atomic fibre is? We don't want to be in its way!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

D

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
D

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Well yeah. The flipped table chunks will smack the robut back and then we can cheese it!

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Without the field turned on it's just like glass fiber insulation from hell. Not enough weight to penetrate too deeply. We're trying to redirect it before it goes live.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
D

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Not Alex posted:

Without the field turned on it's just like glass fiber insulation from hell. Not enough weight to penetrate too deeply. We're trying to redirect it before it goes live.

If we flatten the wires to a plane in common with it's facing orientation vis table, thenone of us can hold it off with a chair while the other stabs its head off from behind or whatever.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Ok, License chat has died down, so the Supplemental Vote: Our New Mech is OVER

And the winner is:

L4: The Horus 'Gorgon' / [OUR CREEPY FRIEND] / :siren:SEIZUREBOT!:siren:

New main-line update Wednesday-ish!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: D: Use the Table and Chairs as Weapons (Flash +1)

Fine, bandwagon it is.

PoultryGeist posted:

And the winner is:

L4: The Horus 'Gorgon' / [OUR CREEPY FRIEND] / :siren:SEIZUREBOT!:siren:

Booooooooo.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Your body is in motion before your brain finishes giving orders. The deep-streets of Ciocelle taught you well, at least in that respect.

(Flash Roll: 26, Success)

You kick the small table up and out, forcing the subaltern’s weapon arm to aim off the balcony. A few of the filament strands catch the edge, slicing the table into several pieces as the field activates. But the variable blades catch nothing else, and you’re already in motion with your chair. A strike to the back of the subaltern’s poorly-designed knees causes it to fall over backwards, and you slam the feet of the chair down in between the various actuator hydraulics before sitting on it. PERSISTENCE struggles against the pin for a few moments, but is unable dislodge your or turn its weapon arm in your direction. A grunt from behind you turns out to be Captain Okafor heaving a large stone planter onto the subaltern’s weapon arm for good measure.

PERSISTENCE’s camera’s focus on you. Greetings Accessing Facial Recognition Database Banh-comma-Mak. Would you kindly remove your chair from my shell’s motion points? You are impairing my ability to kill C2G8I47091, which I think is quite rude of you. How would you like it if someone kept me from killing you?

”Ah, okaaay. Mon Capitaine, I’m going to assume that your colony didn’t employ a peevishly homicidal NPH originally. Oui?” Looking around for Okafor you see the cafe isn’t nearly as busy as it was a few minutes ago, you’re at the center of a rapidly expanding ring of empty tables. She’s a few meters away at the door to the kitchens, pounding on a public commbox.

”I can’t get through to the Facilitators, Pilot. Not on my personal comm or the public one. The line isn’t busy, its just dead.”

Both of your heads snap around as you hear an explosion in the distance, a cloud of smoke appearing up the curve of the station. Then starting faint, but growing louder: screams of terror.

Oh sure, someone else gets to have all the fun. Today’s youth, I say.

A: Disable the Subaltern then Investigate the Explosion/Screaming
You don’t have the weapons to destroy the shell, but you can keep it from being a threat while you see what’s going on.
B: Disable the Subaltern and Run
No-one is paying you to deal with this
C: Hack the Subaltern (Tech +1)
You’ve got a new toy from your… associates, use it to try and pull useful info out of the PERSISTENCE instance.

Our New Toy posted:

Smart Knife
A “Smart” knife is the combination of a HORUS-tuned external-mount processor and any mundane charged blade. Piggybacking off the current coursing through the charged blade, the HORUS mount can be loaded with null or fry-code, making this blade a threat not only to organic targets, but to synthetic ones as well. Particular models have an adjustable subliminal suggestion corrective, which guides its user’s hand to identified weaknesses in their target’s hardsuit, armor, or other plating.

The tip of the knife is semi-solid and re-moldable and can be inserted into most electronic ports and used as a point of insertion for hacking rigs.

(edited for proper letters)

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 14, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Hack

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Hack the subaltern, then "hack" the subaltern.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoultryGeist posted:

Oh sure, someone else gets to have all the fun. Today’s youth, I say.

Well duh, of course go with the ability unlockable option, C: Hack the Subaltern (Tech +1); how is that even a choice? :ocelot: :)

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
C: Hack and give ourselves a new bodyguard.

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 14, 2018

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Obviously we use the knife that hacks while we hack.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

C.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

C Use our sick new Titanfall knife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch