Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Svensken
May 29, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Did I miss something? What do you guys mean about two Doves dying?

Fridging is when a loved one, generally a woman, is killed off to provide motivatio for another character (who is generally a dude). Dove was killed off to provide mitovation for two dudes.

Thus, double fridging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
man, this show still really wants to be a Marvel Netflix series and it still feels weird

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Barry Convex posted:

man, this show still really wants to be a Marvel Netflix series and it still feels weird

One thing you can guarantee, no Inhumans, ever.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Svensken posted:

Maybe it's just because I liked the actress, but the double-fridging of Dove really rubbed me the wrong way.

Still, I will be following this show because enjoy both comics and hate-watching TV.

EDIT:

I love him too. I can't not recognize him as Thad from Blue Mountain State, which makes every scene he's in hilarious.

whoooooa the hawk guy is Thad?? Guess I gotta finish episode 2 tonight

I did like the throwaway line about them running away after he gets a new hip, super hero life fucks you up.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 25, 2018

bou
Aug 3, 2006

I don't know any of the characters in this show except for Robin (as sidekick of the only true Adam West Batman) and maybe that's why i'm quite entertained so far. Just one question for the savvy folks: Is that smily crazy assassin family something from comics and how big are the chances they get their own show? :allears:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bou posted:

I don't know any of the characters in this show except for Robin (as sidekick of the only true Adam West Batman) and maybe that's why i'm quite entertained so far. Just one question for the savvy folks: Is that smily crazy assassin family something from comics and how big are the chances they get their own show? :allears:

Traditionally they just crazy monk types i think, I'm not huge and Raven's comic origin.

e: I looked it up They are based on a comic family, but i doubt they are going to be the same. I didn't even know the character names till i looked it up.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 27, 2018

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Third episode is a lot better. They are really leaning into the Trigon crazy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Third episode is a lot better. They are really leaning into the Trigon crazy.

And that ain't not bad

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
okay I hated the 'gently caress batman' marketing but the way they'e handling Bruce Wayne is kinda cool. The fire lady is distractingly lame, so I hope they really have some good reason why she dresses and behaves the way she does

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bring back old gbs posted:

okay I hated the 'gently caress batman' marketing but the way they'e handling Bruce Wayne is kinda cool. The fire lady is distractingly lame, so I hope they really have some good reason why she dresses and behaves the way she does

If she's the same origin as from the comics, they absolutely do.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

bou posted:

I don't know any of the characters in this show except for Robin (as sidekick of the only true Adam West Batman) and maybe that's why i'm quite entertained so far.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Batman but I never got into the Teen Titans and I only know the barest descriptions of any of these people except Robin. So if they haven't matched up to their comic book counterparts, I haven't noticed or minded. I thought Raven was just a bog-standard shadowy wizard lady, so this horror-tinge that's been in all her scenes has been pretty interesting. I also like the way they've showed Robin being head-and-shoulders above Hawk and Dove -- he needs to have something if he's going to be a voice of authority for all these idiots with magic powers.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Phenotype posted:

he needs to have something if he's going to be a voice of authority for all these idiots with magic powers.
Though not much really, just being a bit assertive would be enough, given that all the magic power idiots are like "I don't know what I'm doing, I'm completely lost, I barely even know that I have limbs, what are these wiggly things on the ends of my arms?"
Robin could just be like "those are fingers, come with me" and bam, leader.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Robin in the comics is a superb leader. Raven is a horror-tinged psychic. Starfire is a badass warrior. Changeling is a goofball

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

If she's the same origin as from the comics, they absolutely do.

He said a good reason.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
They have shown some restraint. She's not learning languages by french kissing at least.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
They should do the same thing as the Titans cartoon and do an entire episode on investment property. I don’t know if this was posted previously in the thread and if so it’s not my idea.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
So I had no idea this show existed until today - Just caught up and it's loving great.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

One thing you can guarantee, no Inhumans, ever.

there aren’t any on the Marvel Netflix shows, either!

anyway, I think ep 3 pulled off the tonal balancing act better than the first two did, at least. By no means sold, but I’ll keep watching for now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Episode 3: Origins

First off, Dove's not dead. But these two have absolutely nothing to do this episode (probably because one of them seems to be in a coma or something). Robin goes to the hospital to talk to Hawk briefly but we're clearly done with them for now.

Rachel, meanwhile, has been kidnapped by the psycho family, who are taking her back to their boss. It turns out they're not working for the same people as the guy who kidnapped her last time, 'cause this group wants her alive. But Coriander Fire and Forget Kory shows up and rescues her, killing the psycho dad in the process. Kory had previously been by Rachel's house and picked up a photo, which leads them on to a convent (or a place where nuns live, anyway, I'm not sure exactly) that Rachel's mother took her to as a small child.

The head nun seems nice but also a bit off, which suggests that she's going to turn out to be some flavour of bad guy. I'm guessing she's sort of on the same team as the guy from episode one, but not quite as extreme. She seems to only wants to keep Rachel captive instead of killing her.

The remaining members of the psycho family go talk to their boss, who at first is going to kill them for their failure but then changes his mind and gives them another chance. He really goes out of his way to make sure we understand just how evil and bad he is. He also explains that Rachel is the antichrist. He doesn't actually use the word "antichrist" but he dances around it pretty suggestively.

While Rachel's being locked up by the nuns, Kory and Dick find Kory's secret base, where she's got a bunch of information about Rachel. But Rachel goes full demon and escapes, and the episode ends with Dick and Kory arriving back at the nunnery, which has exploded.

The episode also includes a bunch of flashbacks to Dick's first days living with Bruce. He steals a car and is generally sort of reckless and rebellious, and states his intention to track down and murder his parents' killer(s). We only see Bruce as a blurry figure in the background because super hero shows love to be coy about referencing or including characters who exist in their universe but aren't featured in the show.

This guy also showed up again, for slightly longer this time but doing much less interesting things.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

oh yeah I forgot to mention the flirtation between Raven and Beast Boy, which is unintentionally creepy given that the actors are 14 and 23, respectively. hopefully the show doesn’t go any further down that road

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Barry Convex posted:

oh yeah I forgot to mention the flirtation between Raven and Beast Boy, which is unintentionally creepy given that the actors are 14 and 23, respectively. hopefully the show doesn’t go any further down that road

Shut up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Not gonna lie, that's a little off putting if the show is trying to push them as a couple.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's DC. when they want to sex her up they can kill her off and have her be reborn as a curvy mature woman who isnt afraid to use her new found abilities to get what she wants

:barf: RIP Ivy, then RIP again poison ivy, hopefully ur newest actress has better boobs

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Trailer For Next Episode Spoilers: Finally, what we all signed up for is coming up. Doom Patrol!.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I love how they handled the Doom Patrol. Especially Rita.

edit: and the Chief is a complete rear end in a top hat as per canon.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 3, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gar's got my backpack.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
lmao at Tarzan Boy playing when Gar turns the power on.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Best scene in the episode, and that's exactly what i'm like when i cook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tkoTbVsGZE&t=44s

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The first two episodes were rough, but if they can keep up this momentum they'll really have something.

Also, for the Doom Patrol series, they have cast Timothy Dalton as the Chief. He plays a fantastic rear end in a top hat so I'm looking forward to it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Diane Guerrero from OITNB is playing Crazy Jane too.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Release the Negative Spirit!

I've been waiting for live-action Doom Patrol forever and that was really good for a first go on tv. The cast for the series will be exponentially better with Timothy Dalton as the Chief and Brendan Fraser voicing Cliff, and Diane Guerrero.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Robin in the comics is a superb leader. Raven is a horror-tinged psychic. Starfire is a badass warrior. Changeling is a goofball

From a short interview with series producer and writer Geoff Johns:
https://comicbook.com/dc/2018/11/02/titans-dick-grayson-nightwing-coming/

quote:

"We took a sliver of the comics that dealt with Dick Grayson post-Batman a little bit and amplified that even more, exploring what that period for Dick Grayson was really like," Johns explains. "Nightwing is such a stable, confident, emotionally balanced character—he's Dick Grayson when he's found his place in the world. We wanted to build up to him becoming Nightwing."

Johns explained the main storyline of the first season is to bring the Titans together, but that Rachel's storyline is driving the plot forward...

"It's what we set up in the pilot. It's really about Rachel and helping Rachel, trying to find out what she's dealing with and help her come to terms with that. At the same time, all the other characters are dealing with their own issues. Dick Grayson is dealing with his past with Batman, and we'll reveal what that really was and what happened.".

bring back old gbs posted:

At first I found it odd too but then realized: the shiny, short and body-hugging dress, the big hair, the ridiculous coat, the whole "Get out the way, puny humans" attitude - she's actually dressed and acting like a comic book super-hero. Or comic book super-anti-hero.
And then I really warmed up to her.

ynohtna posted:

lmao at Tarzan Boy playing when Gar turns the power on.

Anyone know what exactly happens to his clothes and backpack when he morphs?

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 4, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Episode 4: Doom Patrol

This episode starts with a flashback to Gar in some kind of makeshift hospital. All the doctors flee, and some other dude comes in and injects him with green stuff. Presumably this is the source of his shapeshifting ability.

Next we see him catching up to Rachel in the forest. They find a place to shelter and encounter some hunters who've shot and are about to kill a deer, but they chase the hunters off. The deer dies and they leave, but we see the deer come back to life.

Then Gar takes Rachel to a mansion where he lives with some other people. It's clear that he's not supposed to bring people there and everything's slightly menacing. The other people there also have super-powers/super-disabilities. There's a guy who's a robot, a guy wrapped up in bandages (who is definitely not invisible), and a woman who, I guess, turns into a sort of blob monster thing if she's not concentrating?

This is all the result of this doctor guy saving their lives with mad science, and now they live with him and help him do whatever it is he does. He's so obviously evil that it seems like it must be a fake-out and he's actually going to be good, but then he tries to do... something to Rachel. Extract the demon from her maybe? It wasn't clear to me what he was trying to do or why he thought he knew how to do it.

But of course Rachel goes all demony and stops him. And then Dick and Coriander show up and Rachel and Gar leave with them, while the rest of the people stay with the doctor. It all seemed ultimately fairly pointless. You could cut this entire episode and just have Gar show up and decide to go with them and nothing would change. Except that we got a shot at the end of the doctor looking menacing while "We'll Meet Again" played, so I guess we're going to see these people again. The episode still seemed pretty pointless though.

Actually, this whole show seems to be just showing off characters that people familiar with the comics will recognise, but with no realm payoff. Like, if you read the comics and you want to see those characters on screen, here they are. But there's no story, and there's not much here for anyone who doesn't already know them. I'm really starting to lose patience with waiting for something meaningful to happen.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Tiggum posted:

Actually, this whole show seems to be just showing off characters that people familiar with the comics will recognise, but with no realm payoff. Like, if you read the comics and you want to see those characters on screen, here they are. But there's no story, and there's not much here for anyone who doesn't already know them. I'm really starting to lose patience with waiting for something meaningful to happen.
I'm afraid this is the new normal for superheroes, nothing but origin stories as far as the eye can see. (Edit: outside of animation, which sometimes manages to be an actual story.)

Some of these shows are on the fifth season and are just flashing further and further back because they can't bring themselves to stop origining.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Episode 4: Doom Patrol

Actually, this whole show seems to be just showing off characters that people familiar with the comics will recognize, but with no real payoff. Like, if you read the comics and you want to see those characters on screen, here they are. But there's no story, and there's not much here for anyone who doesn't already know them. I'm really starting to lose patience with waiting for something meaningful to happen.

For me the payoff was a fun episode (for a change) and the introduction of DC's weirdest superhero team, and the first time all the Titans were together in one place. And by the end of the episode, all headed in the same direction.
I also liked how Rita only wore red and white as a callback to, or possible foreshadowing of her comic book costume.

It was really clever putting an actor covered in bandages in a scene of cooking in the kitchen, so his movements could convey information about his character and personality even though we can't see his face.
And they nailed Larry's temple-less sunglasses.

Tiggum posted:

This is all the result of this doctor guy saving their lives with mad science, and now they live with him and help him do whatever it is he does. He's so obviously evil that it seems like it must be a fake-out and he's actually going to be good, but then he tries to do... something to Rachel. Extract the demon from her maybe? It wasn't clear to me what he was trying to do or why he thought he knew how to do it.

Spoilers that may or may not apply in this version of the Doom Patrol:
Dr. Niles Caulder caused the life-threatening 'accidents' so he could use his experimental and highly unorthodox cures to give the victims their abilities. Knowing this gives a very different meaning to the scene of Rita thanking him at the dinner table.
Also he does things like, secretly put a kill switch in Robotman so he can shut it down if Cliff ever tries to harm or disobey him.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 4, 2018

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Binary Logic posted:

Spoilers that may or may not apply in this version of the Doom Patrol:
Dr. Niles Caulder caused the life-threatening 'accidents' so he could use his experimental and highly unorthodox cures to give the victims their abilities. Knowing this gives a very different meaning to the scene of Rita thanking him at the dinner table.
Also he does things like, secretly put a kill switch in Robotman so he can shut it down if Cliff ever tries to harm or disobey him.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

and the Chief is a complete rear end in a top hat as per canon.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

that was actually... good?

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
This episode was a mess. An entertaining mess, but still... I feel like the writers are getting lazier as we go along, and imo nothing illustrates that better than the hunters and the deer in this episode:

So Rachel and Tiger guy are on the run when they hear a shot in the woods, which they - for no reason - decide to go out and investigate.
They find a shot deer which Rachel - for no reason - decides to defend, even though it's already dying.
Enter the hunters, whom - for no reason - are cartoonish stereotypes, drunk and littering while loudly declaring that they've probably strayed outside the hunting grounds. Well, actually that's for SOME reason, the reason being that the writers couldn't think of any other way to convey to the audience which side to root for.
All this to introduce the plot-point that Rachel maybe has healing/resurrection powers, which could have been conveyed in a million other, smarter ways. The only other purpose for it was so Robin had something to investigate when searching for Rachel (nevermind the fact that two drunk hunters would probably not report to the police that, the reason one of them got shot, was because they got ambushed by a purple haired girl and a green tiger, but I digress), but again, the hunter only guessed where she was based on the fact that it was the only place for miles she could go. Any local would've known that. Lazy writing. It did lead to a great Are We The Baddies moment when Robin, unprovoked, broke into the hunter's house and beat him up in front of his kid, though.

Also the professor's accent made me laugh out loud, he was borderline incomprehensible.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Two Robins don't make a right Batman

Big spoiler image

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp3nicVBaFN/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=14mhf15nf2217

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The fight scenes in this are about a trillion time better than anything on CW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Rocksicles posted:

The fight scenes in this are about a trillion time better than anything on CW

Yeah. It also feels very distinct from shooting at multiple locations, some of which are, get this, outside.

Plus, that Dick sure ain't lacking opportunities for action. :wink: