Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
An update on train lockers: the prices went up since last I really took a look at them. A small locker will run ¥400, a medium is ¥500, and a large is ¥600. Extra large lockers are available at larger stations like Shinjuku, but they’ll set you back ¥1000. Of course, this is per day cycle (which isn’t necessarily 24 hours), and there’s a maximum of three days available per locker. If you want to pull a Meltzer, that’s your best storage option.

Also those of you who enjoy adult beverages and haven’t had Shochu, I’d be happy to introduce you to them as well as traditional izakayas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

those lockers are perpetually full so be prepared to wander around the entire station trying to find one. also take pics of the locker and the surrounding area in case you can’t find it again!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Anyone have any luck with NYD tickets? Nobody I know got any.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't think I have a choice but to Meltzer it because my boss was pretty much like "Wow cool!!!! Do it!!! Leave the country, white devil!!!! for once in your life!!! Explore the world~~~!!!!!! . . . . ..... . . . . .. . . . . . .. . . . . Be back by Monday."

I guess I should like, buy the plane tickets sooner rather than later. The dominant internet recommendation is to fly on JAL but I am not exactly sure how to make that happen. Like fly to LA maybe and connect there? Or does it really not matter much and am I cool taking a flight out of Phoenix or even Tucson.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
When I moved there I flew on a Taiwanese airline from Seattle because it was the cheapest but I had to sprint across Taipei airport at like 5 am to catch my second flight. When I came back home and went to Burlington to see my GF I flew I think Delta through Detroit from Tokyo and my round trip ticket was I think 320 dollars or something insane.

I hate flying and had never done an ocean flight but it really wasn't that bad at all despite being 6 2 On a cheap Asian airline.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

just booked my airfare today. i'll be flying out on the morning of new year's day in the us which will saving me a considerable amount of money over beying there over the holiday and flying back on the 9th. If anyone else is on the fence i'd recommend looking at those dates as they were less than half the price of surrounding dates (US$600 rt vs US$1300-1600)

my tentative wrestling plans other than the dome are all japan on the third and sendai girls on the fifth as i know new year's dash tickets are basically an impossible get unless you're a fanclub member.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

tickets go on sale in one hour:
https://www.njpw1972.com/37632

TICKETS FOR WRESTLE KINGDOM 13 ON SALE TO OVERSEAS FANS FROM 10/25! 【WK13】

January 4th is the most significant date on every wrestling fan’s calendar. In 2019, New Japan Pro-Wrestling will once again start the year in the grandest of fashions with Wrestle Kingdom 13 in Tokyo Dome.

Wherever you are in the world, you too can witness the grandeur of NJPW’s biggest event live or in person when tickets to our overseas fans go on sale on October 25th. We can’t wait for you to join us for our spectacular event, and for memories that will last forever.

Details as follows:

WRESTLE KINGDOM 13

Friday, January 4th 2019

Doors: 3:30 PM Start: 5:00 PM Venue: Tokyo Dome

Tickets on sale: Thursday, October 25th 10:00 AM JST

(2:00 AM BST, Wednesday, October 24th 9:00 PM EST 6:00 PM PST)

Ticket site: http://eplus.jp/ib-WrestleKingdom13/

Available tiers (all prices include tax and commission):

Arena B 13,750 yen

1F Stand 10,450 yen

2F Stand A 8,250 yen

2F Stand B 4,950 yen

Terms and Conditions

Tickets are only available in the four listed tiers. No other tickets are available.
Card is subject to change due to injury or circumstances beyond the promoter’s control.
Tickets required for all attendees over elementary school age. Children under elementary school age can attend without a ticket, seated on a parent or guardian’s lap. (One child to one guardian).
Sales will end if all allocated tickets are sold. Even after a sellout, we reserve the right to restart sales at no notice if more tickets are allocated.
Receive your tickets from the ticket window on the day of the event. Personal Identification is required to receive your tickets.
Tickets may not be received by proxy. Personal identification must match the name of the purchaser. Tickets are not for resale.
Separate Wrestle Kingdom 13 tour packages are also planned. Keep checking njpw1972.com for details.
Make sure to confirm important terms and conditions listed on the ticket website before purchase.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
My friend who bought the tickets said she already got them. So I'd say give it an attempt now. That being said Holy poo poo I'm going to wrestle kingdom!!!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The_Rob posted:

My friend who bought the tickets said she already got them. So I'd say give it an attempt now. That being said Holy poo poo I'm going to wrestle kingdom!!!

was able to grab a 1f stand ticket without any issues tho the exact location won't be known until i pick it up

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

How long do you all expect 1f stand tix to last

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

I may not be able to go to WK13 with you guys (family commitments, it’s pretty close to Oshogatsu) but the smaller promotions and any meetups I will be available for, and definitely any city tours you might want. But that said, I’m excited for all you who are going!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

BuySumoTickets has shipped my order! *hype intensifies*

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've done it I've bought a ticket to an event in a country that's not the US or Mexico, what have I done.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I want to see a show at Korakuen Hall while in Japan but don't necessarily want to do two big NJPW shows back to back, so I was thinking of also trying to go to Tokyo Joshi on January 4. That show starts at 12, and WK opens doors at 3 so I'm guessing I'd have enough time to not even worry about missing anything but figured I'd put the feelers out there for anyone else who is doing two shows that day.

So far our schedule looks like:
December 30: Arrive
December 31: New Year's Fox Parade (http://www.visiting-japan.com/en/articles/events/e13ki-oji-inari-kitsune-gyoretsu.htm)
January 3: STARDOM at Shinkiba
January 4: TJPW (maybe) and WK
????
January 11: Sadly, go back home

We're also planning on going to spend a few days in an onsen resort outside of Tokyo for a couple of days, and we want to check out the Ghibli Museum.

We're going to stay in Shinjuku the first few days of the trip at a hotel near Kabukicho, then Airbnbs the rest of the time. We wouldn't be staying in a hotel at all, I don't think, if it wasn't recommended for Buy Sumo Tickets to mail our WK tickets.

Getting super stoked for this trip! It'll be the longest vacation we've ever taken and we're trying to not plan TOO much, but just enough to have things to look forward to throughout the 11 days we'll be there.

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 6, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm doing both TJPW and NJPW. Most people who did both made it in time for the start of the NJPW Rumble (Korakuen Hall is literally 30 seconds walk from the Dome). They're even opening the gates 30 minutes earlier for WK because they're expecting more fans than last year so hopefully the queue won't still be filtering in.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I'm doing both TJPW and NJPW. Most people who did both made it in time for the start of the NJPW Rumble (Korakuen Hall is literally 30 seconds walk from the Dome). They're even opening the gates 30 minutes earlier for WK because they're expecting more fans than last year so hopefully the queue won't still be filtering in.

Awesome news all around! I'm not the most active poster here most of the time but I am stoked to know so many goons will be in town for a bit. I think we might finally be at the trip planning stage where it's more fun than stressful.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
i can't afford to go this year but I went twice in 2018 so I guess thats enough until WK2020. :smith:

I hope ya'll have a great time.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I'm picking up my wrasslin tickets at the post office in a couple of hours. The hype is starting to melt me inside

Edit: Holding my god drat Wrestle Kingdom ticket in my hands and my hands are shaking. I am the mark. It is me.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 6, 2018

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

what neighborhood in tokyo would people who have been there before recommend? don't mind a train ride to the dome but want cool restuarants/bars nearby. obviously something not completely out of the way would be nice but i'm there from the 2nd-8th and may be only doing two days of shows in the korakuen/dome area.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 7, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Thauros posted:

what neighborhood in tokyo would people who have been there with the place recommend for me to stay in? don't mind a train ride to the dome but want cool restuarants/bars nearby

Korakuen Wing Hotel is where a lot of people stayed last year and is right near the Dome.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

How did you get your TJPW tickets? Someone on reddit suggested emailing Yuki Kamifuku which I did on Monday but haven't heard back yet. Not sure if that's a normal wait time, though, or if I should explore another option.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I live in Tokyo so I've got a Japanese phone number and can use the normal ticket buying sites. I haven't actually got mine yet, but I'm gonna do it soon. I don't think anything is gonna sell out except NYD (which has) and DDT MajiManji though.

I know Mizuki is responsive and helpful to Google translated nonsense even apparently. Getting in touch with DDT's English translator on Twitter might work too.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Reminder: If you're interested in a visit to the Studio Ghibli Museum and you're already in Tokyo for Christmas, the tickets for December are available TODAY.

The museum is open until December 24 and will stay closed until January 2. My only options are Jan 3-5 so I've set up an alarm for December 10 so that I can try to grab a ticket as soon as they're available. If anyone wants to join me (I think preferably on the 3rd or 5th) I could buy a ticket for you too :)

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Nov 10, 2018

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
What is the Japanese equivalent of a La Quinta Inn?

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

As soon as I find out my work schedule for December, I'll be able to know what events I can and cannot attend. My wife broke her foot a little over a week ago, meaning we are probably not leaving the city for Oshogatsu (the New Year's holiday). At the very least, I'll be able to meet up at a bar or some such.

Rick posted:

What is the Japanese equivalent of a La Quinta Inn?

Toyoko Inn has a lot of locations. APA Hotel (not run by JBL or Ron Simmons) is also common and fairly midrange but you're giving money to a crazy right wing nationalist who puts books with his ideology in the rooms. And, Comfort Inn has a Japanese branch called Comfort Hotel and like four of them are in Tokyo.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I haven't been able to watch the Tag tournament but based on the discussion in the thread, sounds like the WK card is seriously starting to crystallize. I was thinking that cards for the WK period are probably going to start being revealed soonish, so if you spot one in the wild, post it in this thread and I'll link to it in the OP. If you have any important/interesting information regarding the card like storylines leading into the event, any matches to look out for, exciting guests, if it's going to be any good etc., you can post that too if you like!

January 4: WRESTLE KINGDOM 13

Match card (as announced thus far):

IWGP Heavyweight Championship match: Kenny Omega (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi
IWGP Intercontinental Championship match: Chris Jericho (c) vs. Tetsuya Naito
Special singles match: "Skipper" Kazuchika Okada vs. "Knife Pervert" Jay White
IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship match: KUSHIDA (c) vs. Taiji Ishimori
IWGP United States Championship match: Cody (c) vs. Juice Robinson
RevPro British Heavyweight Championship match: Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
IWGP Tag Team Championships match: Guerrillas of Destiny (c) vs The Young Bucks vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (EVIL and SANADA)
IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship match: Suzuki-Gun (Yoshinobu Kanemaru and El Desperado) (c) vs. Roppongi 3K (Sho and Yoh) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI and Shingo Takagi)
IWGP NEVER Openweight Championship match: Kota Ibushi (c) vs. Will Ospreay
WrestleKingdom 13 Pre-Show: Gauntlet Match to become Number One Contender for the NEVER Six-Man Titles

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 11, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

For anyone deciding on what other shows to get tickets for I'll try and keep record of the cards. There's not too much announced for the other shows yet but I'll post what I know for the Korakuens the week of.

AJPW January 2nd
1pm

BJW January 2nd
6pm

AJPW January 3rd
1pm

Triple Crown Championship
Kento Miyahara (c) vs. ???

DDT January 3rd
6pm

TJPW January 4th
12pm

Tokyo Princess of Princess Championship
Miyu Yamashita (c) vs. Maki Ito

Tokyo Princess Tag Championships
MagiRabbi (Yuka Sakazaki & Mizuki) (c) vs. Riho & Shoko Nakajima

Meiko Satomura vs. Reika Saiki

NOAH January 6th
1pm

Fight Club Pro January 7th

Pete Dunne, Tyler Bate, Trent Seven, Jordan Devlin, Jimmy Havoc, Rickey Shane Page, Aussie Open and Meiko Satomura confirmed

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Auritech posted:

Toyoko Inn has a lot of locations. APA Hotel (not run by JBL or Ron Simmons) is also common and fairly midrange but you're giving money to a crazy right wing nationalist who puts books with his ideology in the rooms. And, Comfort Inn has a Japanese branch called Comfort Hotel and like four of them are in Tokyo.

I thought APA hotels were run/founded by some woman. In my last few holidays in Yokohama I use the APA in Kannai, (relatively cheap, relatively nice, and only a couple of stations away from where I used to live), and they have photos of her and her signature up all over the place.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Still waiting to hear back on an email for TJPW tickets on the 4th. Really want to see a show in Korakuen during the trip.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

BrigadierSensible posted:

I thought APA hotels were run/founded by some woman. In my last few holidays in Yokohama I use the APA in Kannai, (relatively cheap, relatively nice, and only a couple of stations away from where I used to live), and they have photos of her and her signature up all over the place.

Fumiko Motoya is the public face of the hotel chain and the president of the chain but her husband Toshio actually is the owner of the entire company (it's a real estate group that owns more than just the hotel chain). A few years back, a Chinese-American tourist noticed the book he wrote and leaves in the rooms and his decidedly revisionist views on Nanking, and it caused a media stir here, but nothing came of it because Japan. But yeah, she's a much friendlier face of APA than he is, and you see her everywhere, like on billboards and bottles of water.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

I haven't been able to watch the Tag tournament but based on the discussion in the thread, sounds like the WK card is seriously starting to crystallize. I was thinking that cards for the WK period are probably going to start being revealed soonish, so if you spot one in the wild, post it in this thread and I'll link to it in the OP. If you have any important/interesting information regarding the card like storylines leading into the event, any matches to look out for, exciting guests, if it's going to be any good etc., you can post that too if you like!

January 4: WRESTLE KINGDOM 13

Match card (as announced thus far):

IWGP Heavyweight Championship match: Kenny Omega (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi
IWGP Intercontinental Championship match: Chris Jericho (c) vs. Tetsuya Naito
Special singles match: "Skipper" Kazuchika Okada vs. "Knife Pervert" Jay White
British Heavyweight Championship match: Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
NEVER Openweight Championship match: Hirooki Goto (c) vs. Kota Ibushi
IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship match: KUSHIDA (c) vs. Taiji Ishimori
IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship match: Suzuki-Gun (Yoshinobu Kanemaru and El Desperado) (c) vs. Roppongi 3K (Sho and Yoh) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI and Shingo Takagi)

NJPW Twitter is saying Goto/Ibushi is December 9th so I'm assuming Ospreay/Ibushi is still the WK match.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

NJPW Twitter is saying Goto/Ibushi is December 9th so I'm assuming Ospreay/Ibushi is still the WK match.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll update it when we get a proper confirmation.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Just added a bunch of shows to the OP. :sbahj: there is an absurd amount of wrestling to go around!

Anyway, I was looking at puwota's calender again and spotted something weird. What is the NJPW event on Jan 3 at "Studio Coast"? Google Translate says it's a "Large wrestling festival" which, uh, doesn't really help.

Also, there's apparently a Sendai Girls show at Korakuen on Jan 7 in the evening. Is the Fight Club Pro Korakuen show an early one?

Edit: While I'm at it, I'm going to add all the venues to the list of places in the OP and link them to a Google Maps pin.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 19, 2018

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Man

Kota vs Ospreay, KUSHIDA vs Ishimori, Omega vs Tanahashi should all be crazy good matches. Okada vs White and Jericho vs Naito shouldn’t be too far behind them. That’s insanely loaded, way better than Dominion last year even. Wish I could remotely justify 2 Japan trips in 6 months

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

Just added a bunch of shows to the OP. :sbahj: there is an absurd amount of wrestling to go around!

Anyway, I was looking at puwota's calender again and spotted something weird. What is the NJPW event on Jan 3 at "Studio Coast"? Google Translate says it's a "Large wrestling festival" which, uh, doesn't really help.

Also, there's apparently a Sendai Girls show at Korakuen on Jan 7 in the evening. Is the Fight Club Pro Korakuen show an early one?

The January 3rd show is the meet and greet show. I went last year. They do final promos for the WK matches, you can get your shirts signed. Taguchi or someone will go around with one of the camera crews and interview people. It was fun but I'm skipping it for the AJPW show this year. If you want to get tickets, I'd recommend doing that soon cos I bought one for somebody else and there were limited tickets available. Also, if you aren't in the fan club, you probably won't get any of the good signings. They had Shibata, Goto, Roppongi 3K, Cody, ZSJ and Elgin signing this year and by the time I got in, only ZSJ and Elgin tickets were left. So I got a ZSJ signed shirt.

The Sendai Girls show is the Fight Club Pro show I think. Meiko Satomura is handling everything for them and the email address to reserve tickets is the Sendai Girls email address.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 19, 2018

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The January 3rd show is the meet and greet show. I went last year. They do final promos for the WK matches, you can get your shirts signed. Taguchi or someone will go around with one of the camera crews and interview people. It was fun but I'm skipping it for the AJPW show this year. If you want to get tickets, I'd recommend doing that soon cos I bought one for somebody else and there were limited tickets available. Also, if you aren't in the fan club, you probably won't get any of the good signings. They had Shibata, Goto, Roppongi 3K, Cody, ZSJ and Elgin signing this year and by the time I got in, only ZSJ and Elgin tickets were left. So I got a ZSJ signed shirt.

The Sendai Girls show is the Fight Club Pro show I think. Meiko Satomura is handling everything for them and the email address to reserve tickets is the Sendai Girls email address.

Thanks, you're a treasure, GWB! Meet and greets aren't for me but maybe someone's interested so I'll add it to the list.

And alright, that would make a lot of sense.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

extradite THIS! posted:

Reminder: If you're interested in a visit to the Studio Ghibli Museum and you're already in Tokyo for Christmas, the tickets for December are available TODAY.

The museum is open until December 24 and will stay closed until January 2. My only options are Jan 3-5 so I've set up an alarm for December 10 so that I can try to grab a ticket as soon as they're available. If anyone wants to join me (I think preferably on the 3rd or 5th) I could buy a ticket for you too :)

Are you still looking to get Ghibli tickets? My partner and I are going to be around through the beginning of January and definitely want to go. We're doing STARDOM on the 3rd so if you're still interested in going on the 5th, we'd love to tag along! Let me know here or in a DM if you're into that.

We have all of our lodging booked and are now just figuring out all of the things to do. I think we're going to get a trip to Mount Fuji & Fuji-Q Highland in, plus Anata no Warehouse in Kawasaki which looks insane. If anyone else is interested in any of that, let me know! Still trying to figure out if we need to buy tickets for Fuji-Q in advance or not, but my initial thought is no since it's just an amusement park?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have never heard of Anaya no Warehouse before and that place looks like the funnest thing ever to go while drunk

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Phenix Rising posted:

Still trying to figure out if we need to buy tickets for Fuji-Q in advance or not, but my initial thought is no since it's just an amusement park?

You don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

For what it's worth, I stayed at an APA hotel and it was nice if nothing fancy, and they didn't leave any book in my room (not that I would have been able to read it anyway if it was in Japanese :shrug:).