Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Episode 6: Together

This show just loves killing people. It's ridiculous. And not people we care about, because we barely get introduced to them before they're gone. In this episode we got
  • The hotel owner: All we knew about her was that she wanted to have sex with Dick.
  • The cooking guy: He seemed to be in charge of the assassins but we didn't really know what he wanted or why and now it doesn't matter.
  • The assassin family: OK, so they were clearly regarded by their superiors as generic, replaceable, tools rather than people, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have actually been characters. Not now though.

The team have all showed off their powers to each other, but we've seen them before so there wasn't anything new there. They were supposedly going to train to work together but they didn't, so I'm not sure they got anything out of it either.

Basically, nothing happened in this episode. There was some fighting and some people we didn't know anything about died, but the protagonists are still in the same position they were at the end of the previous episode. New Robin appeared right at the end, but that could have happened at the start of the next episode and made no difference.

I guess Dick and Coriander had sex, and that could be relevant to something eventually. Or it could never be mentioned again. Who knows? I think we're supposed to think they're, like, a team now and they (all) trust each other or something, but it's not really working for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
/\ Are we watching the same show LOL.

Barry Convex posted:

that was actually... good?

And ep 5 was actually...really good. Dick is stepping up and becoming the leader, even though he's the only one in the group without a super-power.
The training montage was fun and paid off in the big fight scene. Raven was actually able to control her power and use finesse to toss an enemy.
And I loved Dick asking Gar, "So have you eaten anyone before?" like it's a thing he would do if he could.

The Family Unit were interesting antagonists until they went and lost...their heads. Hope the vigilantes leave a nice tip for housekeeping.

Gar: So uh...Batman! You know him!? Are we gonna see him? I'd really like to meet Batman.
Dick: No. You're not.

Great delivery of that line to shut down both Gar's and our expectations, completely unambiguous. And it gave the final scene a little extra boost, at least to me. LIke, "No you're not gonna meet Batman, buuut.... how about some Jason Todd action.

ynohtna posted:

Yeah. It also feels very distinct from shooting at multiple locations, some of which are, get this, outside.

Plus, that Dick sure ain't lacking opportunities for action. :wink:

It's a little disturbing that Detective Grayson would engage in 'action' with a woman who has lost her memory and doesn't know who she is. But she was the instigator so I'll get over it.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 10, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
She might not know who she is, but she sure knows what she likes.

E: Yeah i don't know what /\ is expecting really. This was a good episode. Dick stabbing the gently caress out of that mercenary was very satisfying.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 10, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Binary Logic posted:

Dick is stepping up and becoming the leader
How is he leading them? Where is he leading them? Their only goal is "don't die" and the method of achieving it is to wait around until someone attacks them.

Binary Logic posted:

The Family Unit were interesting antagonists
Were they? Their gimmick was OK, but it didn't go anywhere - and now they're dead so I guess it'll never go anywhere.

Binary Logic posted:

And it gave the final scene a little extra boost, at least to me. LIke, "No you're not gonna meet Batman, buuut.... how about some Jason Todd action.
So, obviously, being replaced by Batman should be a big deal for Dick, but what does it mean to us? We don't know this Batman. We don't know this Dick as Robin. We've never seen the relationship that existed between them so we have no expectations here. Is Robin going to be angry? Sad? Relieved? Disappointed? We don't know. What does the new Robin showing up mean? Based on the other characters who've shown up already, my guess is it's going to mean nothing and go nowhere and he'll be around for one episode and then never mentioned again.

Like I said last week, this show seems to be just a vehicle for showing off familiar characters to fans of the source material rather than actually telling a story.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

So, obviously, being replaced by Batman should be a big deal for Dick, but what does it mean to us? We don't know this Batman. We don't know this Dick as Robin. We've never seen the relationship that existed between them so we have no expectations here. Is Robin going to be angry? Sad? Relieved? Disappointed? We don't know. What does the new Robin showing up mean? Based on the other characters who've shown up already, my guess is it's going to mean nothing and go nowhere and he'll be around for one episode and then never mentioned again.

Like I said last week, this show seems to be just a vehicle for showing off familiar characters to fans of the source material rather than actually telling a story.

You're jumping the gun, most of your last bit won't be answered until the next episode at the earliest.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

You're jumping the gun, most of your last bit won't be answered until the next episode at the earliest.

We should already know that stuff though. The new Robin showing up should be dramatic, but it isn't because they haven't laid the groundwork.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yes there's a lot we don't know. That's kind of the point of making a television series, to inform the viewers with new information and revelations each week. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Tiggum posted:

How is he leading them? Where is he leading them? Their only goal is "don't die" and the method of achieving it is to wait around until someone attacks them.

Were they? Their gimmick was OK, but it didn't go anywhere - and now they're dead so I guess it'll never go anywhere.
Dick actually explained how and why he is leading them, last week.
Their primary goal is to find out why Rachel is being hunted, and by whom, and the nature of her abilities.
Secondary goals are to solve the mystery of Starfire's identity and what happened to her that erased her memory, and why she is drawn to protecting Rachel.

The Nuclear Family story went where it needed to go. They failed at their given task therefore we, as viewers, should expect The Organization to devote even more personnel and resources towards taking possession of Rachel.
An escalation of the conflict will likely occur, concurrent with the escalating control of powers our protagonists are gaining as they continue working together.

quote:

So, obviously, being replaced by Batman should be a big deal for Dick, but what does it mean to us? We don't know this Batman. We don't know this Dick as Robin. We've never seen the relationship that existed between them so we have no expectations here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AmeKD_DGOI

quote:

Is Robin going to be angry? Sad? Relieved? Disappointed? We don't know. What does the new Robin showing up mean? Based on the other characters who've shown up already, my guess is it's going to mean nothing and go nowhere and he'll be around for one episode and then never mentioned again.
Of course we don't know, that's why we're watching.

quote:

Dick and Jason never fought side-by-side or even interacted much at all (in the comics) so "fans of the source material" are already wondering where this version of the new Robin is going.
I find it interesting and am having fun going along for the ride.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 10, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

We should already know that stuff though. The new Robin showing up should be dramatic, but it isn't because they haven't laid the groundwork.

I don't think you like the show very much, you are making effort posts every week, but you haven't said a single positive thing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

I don't think you like the show very much, you are making effort posts every week, but you haven't said a single positive thing.

I like the concept, but the execution has been terrible. There are a lot of interesting hooks and absolutely none of them have paid off in any way. I'm still hoping something will happen, but I am running out of patience. The show needs to pick a direction and start moving.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Cory's relationship with Dick has always been a thing. When she first met him in the comics, she needed to learn English so she used her language assimilation ability.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.

Tiggum posted:

I like the concept, but the execution has been terrible. There are a lot of interesting hooks and absolutely none of them have paid off in any way. I'm still hoping something will happen, but I am running out of patience. The show needs to pick a direction and start moving.

What they're struggling with the most is building tension. It makes it so that I both feel like nothing is happening, while at the same time everything's moving too fast.

I really like the opening introduction of Rachel in the first episode, for example. The thing with Sherilyn Fenn as the mom loving her kid but being scared of her, the creepy visual of cruxifixes on the door, the annoying neighbor complaining about the noise, it's really effective at setting the scene. Rachel is an isolated kid with an emerging darkness inside of her that frightens her, with a troubled home life being raised by a mother in over her head working long shifts as a nurse, I get the thing you're showing me show, and I'm intrigued! But cut to 20 minutes later and the mom gets shot and Rachel flees, abandoning everything that's been set up. This sort of 'welp, we've done this thing for an episode, gotta move on' form of storytelling is to me extremely frustrating, and they keep doing it.

The mom getting shot also really underlines the lack of tension. If Bad Guys wants to find Rachel/the gang, they'll just show up, teleporting zombie style. Sometimes they'll get supporting scenes to sort of explain how they found them, sometimes not. Whatever. Gotta cram an action scene into every episode somehow! Also a bit nicpicky, but if the Bad Guy Corporation can send a whole kill squad to dispose of Robin and Dr. Adamson in the space of a minute, why don't they just send a few of those off to capture Rachel? Lazy writing? No, can't be!

Ovenmaster fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 10, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ovenmaster posted:

What they're struggling with the most is building tension. It makes it so that I both feel like nothing is happening, while at the same time everything's moving too fast.

I really like the opening introduction of Rachel in the first episode, for example. The thing with Sherilyn Fenn as the mom loving her kid but being scared of her, the creepy visual of cruxifixes on the door, the annoying neighbor complaining about the noise, it's really effective at setting the scene. Rachel is an isolated kid with an emerging darkness inside of her that frightens her, with a troubled home life being raised by a mother in over her head working long shifts as a nurse, I get the thing you're showing me show, and I'm intrigued! But cut to 20 minutes later and the mom gets shot and Rachel flees, abandoning everything that's been set up. This sort of 'welp, we've done this thing for an episode, gotta move on' form of storytelling is to me extremely frustrating, and they keep doing it.

The mom getting shot also really underlines the lack of tension. If Bad Guys wants to find Rachel/the gang, they'll just show up, teleporting zombie style. Sometimes they'll get supporting scenes to sort of explain how they found them, sometimes not. Whatever. Gotta cram an action scene into every episode somehow! Also a bit nicpicky, but if the Bad Guy Corporation can send a whole kill squad to dispose of Robin and Dr. Adamson in the space of a minute, why don't they just send a few of those off to capture Rachel? Lazy writing? No, can't be!

This is exactly it.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Ovenmaster posted:

Also a bit nicpicky, but if the Bad Guy Corporation can send a whole kill squad to dispose of Robin and Dr. Adamson in the space of a minute, why don't they just send a few of those off to capture Rachel? Lazy writing? No, can't be!
It seems like the zombie family is significantly stronger than a few kill squads. The main problem SinisterCorp has, it seems, is they have plenty of guns but no bullets, which renders the kill squads very inefficient. Robin alone without gear can almost beat a large kill-squad, but he lost to only half a zombie family.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Cory's relationship with Dick has always been a thing. When she first met him in the comics, she needed to learn English so she used her language assimilation ability.

Nice pull. So Kori instinctively has sex with Dick in order to activate her inherent translation ability in an attempt to figure out what the strange alien writing means!
This show can be deeper than it appears.

Ovenmaster posted:

Also a bit nicpicky, but if the Bad Guy Corporation can send a whole kill squad to dispose of Robin and Dr. Adamson in the space of a minute, why don't they just send a few of those off to capture Rachel? Lazy writing? No, can't be!
That's not a nitpick.

Dr. Adamson was in a Bad Guy Corporation building. They own him, they own his residence, they have a security detail housed in their own skyscraper.
Reminder: Dick was spotted as soon as he entered the building by the old lady who gave him a candy. At that point the kill squad was notified and were already on the move before Dick got off the elevator.
The Corporation doesn't own every roadside motel in America.

And the whole point of the Nuclear Family is that they could surreptitiously travel and move around and make inquiries while somewhat blending in with the local population.
Their mission was to find Rachel, grab her and take her alive back to HQ or wherever, without drawing attention to themselves.

A battalion of armoured mercs driving around in pursuit of high-powered fugitives might be noticed by local authorities, highway police, and media.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 11, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Binary Logic posted:

And the whole point of the Nuclear Family is that they could surreptitiously travel and move around and make inquiries while somewhat blending in with the local population.
Their mission was to find Rachel, grab her and take her alive back to HQ or wherever, without drawing attention to themselves.

Torturing and murdering literally everyone you meet isn't exactly keeping a low profile.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Tiggum posted:

Torturing and murdering literally everyone you meet isn't exactly keeping a low profile.
It is if nobody but the victim knows it was you.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Gar provides much of the comic relief but this was also p good dark humour

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
So did nobody watch the show this week?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Lord Bude posted:

So did nobody watch the show this week?

It was hard to find a copy that didn't have Arabic subtitles and desyncd sound this week

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

It was hard to find a copy that didn't have Arabic subtitles and desyncd sound this week

I managed a couple of hours ago. The usual place I go to seems to have replaced the arabic subtitle version with a proper one. loving great episode. This show doesn't get half the credit it deserves.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finally got a 1080p version yesterday morning.

I'm hype. I just gets better. Jason is just enough of a twat to be funny.

Batmobile was a very very nice touch.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 18, 2018

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It was the animated series Art Deco batmobile!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that one shot made me weirdly happy

I thought Jason Todd was the stolen-semen secret-son of Bruce Wayne raised by the League of Shadows?? but I guess his stealing cars story could have been a lie. Something is weird about that actors face, it looks off and I cant place why. Uncanny Valley, I think the lower half of his face is too small

I like that they just carry the Robin suits around in a Pelican case. Bruce could probably could have taken that suit back too if he wanted, but allows Dick to run around the country with it doing his own thing. I didn't expect the "no" either, they were framing that scene to be the cliche i'm not like youuuuu!!!!! *punches the wall beside the villains head* thing and for once the guy who wants revenge actually takes his revenge, then tells Jason Todd that it actually did feel good to do that.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 18, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It was the animated series Art Deco batmobile!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that one shot made me weirdly happy

I thought Jason Todd was the stolen-semen secret-son of Bruce Wayne raised by the League of Shadows?? but I guess his stealing cars story could have been a lie. Something is weird about that actors face, it looks off and I cant place why. Uncanny Valley, I think the lower half of his face is too small

In the comics, Damien is the secret son of Bruce raised by the LoS. Jason Todd was a kid Bats caught trying to steal the wheels off of the Batmobile.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jason was very much the loose cannon. He murdered Felipe... It's ok though, Joker sorts him out 3 issues later

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Davros1 posted:

In the comics, Damien is the secret son of Bruce raised by the LoS. Jason Todd was a kid Bats caught trying to steal the wheels off of the Batmobile.

ohhhhhhhh yeah I forgot about Damien.

I know it happened with an army of lawyers outlining very precise rules, but I cant stop picturing the writers room going "Okok that was a long
meeting, refresh my memory but did any of the WB people specifically say how many Robins we could put in this show?? They forgot to give us a hard "1" right?"

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 18, 2018

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!

ohhhhhhhh yeah I forgot about Damien.

I know it happened with an army of lawyers outlining very precise rules, but I cant stop picturing the writers room going "Okok that was a long
meeting, refresh my memory but did any of the WB people specifically say how many Robins we could put in this show?? They forgot to give us a hard "1" right?"

Why do they do this? It's their show, streaming on their channel. Why in the hell can't they use whatever characters they want? It's so stupid.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quincyh posted:

Why do they do this? It's their show, streaming on their channel. Why in the hell can't they use whatever characters they want? It's so stupid.

Legacy DC baggage. They have a different set of people who do their TV stuff and Movie stuff and there is history of entire teams of villains being introduced on the CW shows, then the producers get mandates to kill them all off because the film side decided they wanted to make a movie featuring a few of those characters. Like comic books fans wouldn't be able to handle two different actors portraying characters.

But yeah this is their own thing on their own service and they've already got two Robins running around AND blurry background Bruce Wayne. The big CW crossover event this year also has TV Batwoman making her first appearance so it looks like DC finally read the room and is giving their TV shows more freedom with the bigger characters.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The usual answer is that audiences are going to be confused and scared when they see Batman on TV and then they go to the theater and Batman is played by an entirely different actor. Is that the real Batman? Is the one on TV an impostor, or some sort of alien clone? Is this new Batman going to go and fight him? What's going on?? of course since DC doesn't know what they're doing, they're going to go to the theater and see an entirely different actor playing Batman (and Superman) and have the same exact problem.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

Legacy DC baggage. They have a different set of people who do their TV stuff and Movie stuff and there is history of entire teams of villains being introduced on the CW shows, then the producers get mandates to kill them all off because the film side decided they wanted to make a movie featuring a few of those characters. Like comic books fans wouldn't be able to handle two different actors portraying characters.

But yeah this is their own thing on their own service and they've already got two Robins running around AND blurry background Bruce Wayne. The big CW crossover event this year also has TV Batwoman making her first appearance so it looks like DC finally read the room and is giving their TV shows more freedom with the bigger characters.

I sincerely hope so. They're idiots if they don't think TV viewers can handle three different Batmen (Batmans...?) running around. I mean, okay, a lot of viewers absolutely would be confused by that because people are dumb that way, but we can handle three separate lines of comics featuring different versions of the same characters - we can handle this.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Quincyh posted:

I sincerely hope so. They're idiots if they don't think TV viewers can handle three different Batmen (Batmans...?) running around.
Yeah, we all know Adam West is the only real Batman and the rest are just actors telling stories about Batman.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quincyh posted:

I sincerely hope so. They're idiots if they don't think TV viewers can handle three different Batmen (Batmans...?) running around. I mean, okay, a lot of viewers absolutely would be confused by that because people are dumb that way, but we can handle three separate lines of comics featuring different versions of the same characters - we can handle this.

It's probably Big Warner giving it loads about diluting their potential for earning in the box office. Regardless of the fact they haven't got it right yet, as close as they have been. Imagine people's reaction if they can get this right at a millionth of the cost and have a cool shadowy batman on TV. Executives gently caress everything up.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

I want a cool shadowy Batman TV show so they can use comic book shenanigans to have a crossover with Adam West Batman, who, as has already been explained, is the only real Batman.

Why can we have a million Superman shows and no Batman shows, this sucks. Especially since Titans seems to be setting up Batman as exactly the right level of hosed up.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quincyh posted:

I want a cool shadowy Batman TV show so they can use comic book shenanigans to have a crossover with Adam West Batman, who, as has already been explained, is the only real Batman.

Why can we have a million Superman shows and no Batman shows, this sucks. Especially since Titans seems to be setting up Batman as exactly the right level of hosed up.

Agreed, Bruceman is a selfish bastard. Everyone knows it , even Bruce.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

I did love Jason acknowledging that Robin's bright clothes + lack of protective headgear = drawing fire away from Batman.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Like the guy in the first episoide

"Robin? oh crap where's Batman"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Quincyh posted:

We have a Batman show, really, and its actually good and wacky. Too bad its ending.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Darko posted:

We have a Batman show, really, and its actually good and wacky. Too bad its ending.

Somebody give Mazouz an invite to the Time Idiots.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

Somebody give Mazouz an invite to the Time Idiots.

He's such a bad actor though.

Like, Raven in this isn't great, and she's still miles better than Mazouz.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

Darko posted:

Is it? I've tried twice and given up twice. When did it get better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quincyh posted:

Is it? I've tried twice and given up twice. When did it get better?

it didn't, people just embraced the suck.