Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:
I've had a few fitness watches for a while, starting with a polar loop, some tomtom piece of trash, moving to a garmin vivoactive hr and now finally a fitbit versa because I can barely see the goddamn screens due to my vision.

I've been relatively pleased with the thing so far but I've also been lookin for folks who use it as well so feel free to add me if y'all want and use fitbit!
fitbit.com/user/6WYHR6

If anybody wants any info on the thing as well feel free to ask and I can probably provide, as well as on further devices I stated, I've used the watches for quite a while due to my health as well as they're relatively nice compared to the apple watch or the android shits that are expensive as hell and don't really provide as good fitness functions or health functions.

Thanks and hope you're all having a nice day/night!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

My replacement Fitbit Charge 3 arrived, this time with a non-hosed up screen. I was pleased to see they added some new watchfaces, now there's one with the date on it. Still not the preferred info I'd like to see on the watchface, but it's nice to see they have added more. This one adds the date at the bottom for instance, but in place of the heart rate most other faces have. Hopefully they open it up and let people create more of them.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Costco is going to have s3 frontier on sale for $180 and I'm considering getting one. Anyone have any experience with them?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I grabbed one from Costco when it was 220 about a month ago.

First the positives. I originally came from Android Wear so the responsiveness of the tizen UI was great. Its a beautiful watch and the build quality is top notch. I get about battery life of 2 days with always on screen but you have to be selective about the face you choose. It makes a huge difference with battery life. Samsung pay is a really cool trick and I would say worth the price of admission. I don't bother carrying credit cards anymore. I don't really use fitness tracking or heart rate monitor but they seem accurate enough. Others can comment better about those. Gmail has decent Integration where you can read and delete straight from the watch but that's about it. You can fast forward and reverse in google music and can even see song and artwork.

Two things bother me. It's a heavy watch. It probably doesn't bother most people but I really don't like heavy accessories. I used to wear a tungsten wedding band but I switched out to a titanium one just for the decrease in weight. Weird I know. The other thing that bothers me is it has no integration with Google maps. May or may not be a big deal if you don't mind Here maps(which has its own app on the watch).

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I'm up to 8 workouts while wearing the Charge 3 and it has been completely useless as a fitness tracker. Somehow, the worst part isn't the flagrant inaccuracy - registering up to 40bpm below my actual rate after an intense set* - but the fixed, 5-second display timeout. I'm constantly flicking my wrist or double-tapping the watch, which would be annoying enough by itself, but it also means I'm the rear end in a top hat who has to grab one of the gym's two stopwatches while wearing a watch because not only does the drat thing turn the display off when you're actively exercising, it also turns it off when you're running the included, dedicated stopwatch app. It's a stopwatch. That you can only check in 5-second glimpses.

*which means the logs it keeps are also useless. The HR graphs are all wrong, the distance and calorie estimate are all wrong (since steps are grossly overcounted)... pretty much the only thing it's useful for is to check the duration and time/day.

Is there a "classic"-looking circular smartwatch with decent fitness/sleep tracking that also lets you use a chest strap? I still have a week to return the Charge 3 and I see no reason to keep it. Since fitness tracking is clearly beyond its capabilities, it would serve only as a sleep tracker and as a tiny, monochrome smartwatch and that's just not worth 150€ in my book.

seravid fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 10, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Garmin Vivoactive 3?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Costco is going to have s3 frontier on sale for $180 and I'm considering getting one. Anyone have any experience with them?

It's been (and is currently) $199.97 at all the Costcos by me, indicating it's a clearance item (in the jewelry case). I'd go check vs. waiting on a $19 savings only to find they are out of stock. When a Costco item ends in .97 or .00, it's a dead man walking and can vanish at any time.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Too bad there isn't a decent tracker in the format of the Charge 3. A huge watch like device sucks for sleep tracking, and the Garmin equivalents vivosmart and vivofit seem to be similarly retarded at times, from what I read.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I wear my Fenix 5x 24/7. It's massive but I'm used to it. Don't even notice it, even while sleeping. YMMV.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Garmin Vivoactive 3?

Looks good, but also expensive. For the price, I could buy a Gear S3 and a Polar H10. It even costs more than the Galaxy Watch.

I mention Samsung because while they don't officially support external monitors, they seem to work fine if you install a custom watchface (sure, why not). Logs can then be exported to apps like Strava and Samsung's, so that should be good enough for me.
I'm not sure what the Vivoactive has over them, then. Hardware-wise, Samsung wins. UI, I don't know, but the bezel ring looks cool and is well-liked. Is Garmin's software that good/Is Tizen that bad?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Too bad there isn't a decent tracker in the format of the Charge 3. A huge watch like device sucks for sleep tracking, and the Garmin equivalents vivosmart and vivofit seem to be similarly retarded at times, from what I read.
Yeah, while I'm considering a smartwatch, I'm a little worried about the size. I'll try a friend's 46mm (analog) watch tomorrow to get a better idea. Or I could wear a smartwatch by day and a tracker by night :shepspends:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

seravid posted:

I could wear a smartwatch by day and a tracker by night :shepspends:

You can charge one while you wear the other,perfect

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

hotsauce posted:

It's been (and is currently) $199.97 at all the Costcos by me, indicating it's a clearance item (in the jewelry case). I'd go check vs. waiting on a $19 savings only to find they are out of stock. When a Costco item ends in .97 or .00, it's a dead man walking and can vanish at any time.

Yeah my local Costco was out of an item and I happened to go to another Costco and they still had like 20 containers left but it was 97'd

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

seravid posted:

Yeah, while I'm considering a smartwatch, I'm a little worried about the size. I'll try a friend's 46mm (analog) watch tomorrow to get a better idea. Or I could wear a smartwatch by day and a tracker by night :shepspends:

My buddy got one of those big ol Samsungs couple years ago and it was just hulking (especially on a small man). The Pebble Steel is about perfect, too bad they were absorbed by fitbit. I'd love to see it refreshed just exactly as it is, it looks classy.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

codo27 posted:

My buddy got one of those big ol Samsungs couple years ago and it was just hulking (especially on a small man).

Well, I ordered the new big ol Samsung yesterday, so...

Went with the 46mm, too, since the smaller one has 75% less battery capacity but only an 8% price cut. My regular (42mm) watch is actually pretty close to the big Samsung in lug-to-lug length and it fits me just fine, so I'm hoping for the best.

A Polar H10 is also on the way. Goddamn, the budget for what was supposed to be an all-in-one smartwatch/fitness tracker has really skyrocketed. Guess it's my fault for expecting that 1) such a product actually exists and 2) it would sell for 150 bucks. The Charge 3 won't be missed.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Just this week I got a Charge 3. It's my first activity tracker in a couple of years (my last was a Jawbone Up24), and it pretty much checks all the boxes for me.

Only problem I've had is when tracking cycling it wants to connect to my phone first then it wants me to press a button to start... So I've got a few partially logged bike rides in there because I press start assuming it'll start itself rather than sync to my phone then wait for me to press the button again. It also won't detect if I've cycled anywhere but not bothered to log it, but I guess that's due to the lack of GPS.

Also... I'm by no means a fitness freak, but I feel like the activity guidelines are weirdly low. Like I easily smash the 30 "active minutes" guideline most days. I fail miserably on the steps, though, because I work in an office.

Edit: I suspect this is more a thing for people like me who aren't super keen athletes, and just want an all-rounder to keep track of overall trends.

froglet fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 14, 2018

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

You can swipe up with some activities (run/walk/cycle, there's an arrow pointing up) to enable/disable gps. The start button is always there, though. I mean both start buttons, because one confirmation prompt before starting an exercise just wasn't enough.

froglet posted:

Edit: I suspect this is more a thing for people like me who aren't super keen athletes, and just want an all-rounder to keep track of overall trends.

Don't have to be an athlete to notice the (widespread) sync issues; the jank; the sensor picking up a heart rate on tables, clothes, mousepads; that loving timeout setting...

Oh, I just noticed unpairing the device in the Fitbit app erased all my daily HR and sleep logs :thumbsup:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Withings is going to release the Pulse HR next month. Does everything the Charge 3 does, except changeable bands and no SpO2 sensor (which ain't active anyway). Thing has two LEDs, maybe it works better.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

seravid posted:

the sensor picking up a heart rate on tables, clothes, mousepads;

This is an unavoidable consequence of the sensor tech, it measures heart rate by the rate at which light is absorbed. It doesn't have sensors to determine what it's looking at, and if you're getting erroneous readings looking at other stuff it's because it's not rated for other stuff. :shrug:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

isndl posted:

This is an unavoidable consequence of the sensor tech, it measures heart rate by the rate at which light is absorbed. It doesn't have sensors to determine what it's looking at, and if you're getting erroneous readings looking at other stuff it's because it's not rated for other stuff. :shrug:

Not that unavoidable, since it doesn't happen with the Galaxy Watch I just received. Couldn't fool it with my clothes or the handful of objects on my desk. That doesn't make it good, of course, but at least it doesn't think my furniture is alive. This only matters because I had to manually disable the HR monitor on the Charge 3 any time I took it off and I won't have to with the Samsung.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

seravid posted:

Not that unavoidable, since it doesn't happen with the Galaxy Watch I just received. Couldn't fool it with my clothes or the handful of objects on my desk. That doesn't make it good, of course, but at least it doesn't think my furniture is alive. This only matters because I had to manually disable the HR monitor on the Charge 3 any time I took it off and I won't have to with the Samsung.

Assuming it's using the standard green light HR sensor, then it's either got an extra sensor of some kind detecting when it's being worn or it's throwing out data it deems erroneous. Throwing out data is simplest but also worrisome because that means if your skin tone or heartrate profile doesn't approximately match whatever Samsung is expecting you're going to get poo poo readings. Samsung's guidelines also say you're supposed to hold still for accurate heartrate measurements which is loving :lol: for something people are expecting to use during workouts.

If it's working for you as it is now that's great, but I do question whatever they're doing for a population-at-large monitoring accuracy.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Don't get me wrong, it's real bad when it comes to accuracy, as expected. Even a sudden but modest increase in HR, like going up some stairs at a faster pace, throws it off, reading 100bpm when it should read 80. I believe the Charge 3 handled these daily situations better, but I honestly can't be sure since I spent very little time actually looking at it.

I don't know how the GWatch behaves during workouts (steady state or otherwise)... and I won't have to find out because the H10 just arrived. Now I just have to make sense of all these freaking sports apps, but I suppose that's a question for the app thread (or somewhere in YLLS?)

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
With jawbone gone, it seems difficult to find any activity bracelets that are JUST bracelets. I don't want notifications, displays, or any form of bulk really. I already always wear a watch, so something as discrete as possible for my right wrist would be nice. Are there any new ones around that are similar to the jawbone up 24? Preferably that can pair with my android phone, without wasting battery on vibrating

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Ordered the s3 frontier from Costco, so at least if I end up not liking it they have a generous return policy

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Phosphine posted:

With jawbone gone, it seems difficult to find any activity bracelets that are JUST bracelets. I don't want notifications, displays, or any form of bulk really. I already always wear a watch, so something as discrete as possible for my right wrist would be nice. Are there any new ones around that are similar to the jawbone up 24? Preferably that can pair with my android phone, without wasting battery on vibrating

Fitbit flex 2 too bulky?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
went for the galaxy watch sale because the battery life was simply too good and it sounds like it'll last me forever, or until i get samsung'd and the bezel pops off or something

using it for a few days, the battery life is stupid amazing even with ambient display. too bad it's limited by tizen and all the apps are complete garbage. it's really just a good looking and expensive notification machine with minor app functionality on the side

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

logikv9 posted:

went for the galaxy watch sale because the battery life was simply too good and it sounds like it'll last me forever, or until i get samsung'd and the bezel pops off or something

using it for a few days, the battery life is stupid amazing even with ambient display. too bad it's limited by tizen and all the apps are complete garbage. it's really just a good looking and expensive notification machine with minor app functionality on the side

Amazing is not the word I'd use. Serviceable, more like. The watch had 10% left this time when it passed the 2-day mark, not enough to get through the night. I wasn't expecting a week considering my use case, but three days would've been nice.

Glad I didn't pick the 42mm, I'd have to charge it daily for sure.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

seravid posted:

Amazing is not the word I'd use. Serviceable, more like. The watch had 10% left this time when it passed the 2-day mark, not enough to get through the night. I wasn't expecting a week considering my use case, but three days would've been nice.

Glad I didn't pick the 42mm, I'd have to charge it daily for sure.

as with all tech stuff, your mileage will vary. I can easily hit 4 days but that's my current use case. either way it shoots past the daily charge required watches, like fossil or apple

it just feels good to go about your day knowing your watch won't be at 15% battery at 7pm

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, it's really quite good compared to the competition. Besides the usual notification stuff and way too much time messing around with watchfaces, those two days I've mentioned included sleep tracking and 3 hours working out connected to a HR strap, with AOD active (I keep it off otherwise) and some locally-stored music playing for a while. All indoors, though, so no GPS.

Still, I wish it would last three days. Maybe if I stop changing watchfaces (I won't)

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Maneki Neko posted:

Fitbit flex 2 too bulky?

That one seems to be the best option right now. Lacks HR and has notification buzzing/leds though, but maybe I can turn those off. Comes in fabulous magenta as well, huge plus

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So the Huawei watch 2 has been good so far. 2 day battery as advertised. The out of box watch faces have a basic mode it goes to in inactivity to conserve battery and wakes up on touch or for notifications. I installed facer to get more faces, but it seems none of the faces I install have this basic mode so I'm a bit concerned about the battery. Any thoughts?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The Fitbit community forum mods are a special kind of retarded (or just woefully untrained, but given some interactions, I tend to the exclamation outside these parentheses). Someone asks how to reboot the Fitbit without a cable, out of boredom I tell him where the reboot option is in the settings, a mod steps in claiming that this is the factory reset (which is actually a separate menu option) and that there is no software option. Rebooting even asks you for confirmation while explicitly stating there won't be data loss. Some support. In another thread, someone was yet again bemoaning the ongoing lack of support of the built-in SpO2 sensor (which exists since the Versa already), posting a link to the FAQ page talking about the SpO2 as reference for a broken promise. Mod scoots along, tells the guy to refer to the same drat FAQ regarding SpO2 support. These must be some terrible chat AIs instead of humans.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Corporate fandoms are just so bizarre, like there are people desperate, DESPERATE to work retail for AT&T. Like not I need a job, it's not that they think it pays particularly well, they just inexplicably think AT&T is just an awesome company to work for and they will get to play with the latest tech gadgets all the time and have fun all day. :iiam:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

The Fitbit community forum mods are a special kind of retarded .

We're spoiled, man. Try joining a forum that's not even tech related. I joined a darts forum (cause I'm that weird) and honestly it could be the source of a goldmine. Mod the other day scolds someone for "not being able to read" then spells every other word of his post wrong, including repeated there/their mistakes. And the signatures... Oh the signatures.

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:
There ain't enough fitbit users to add, heck. I've got a lack of pals with fitness devices.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I've got a lack of pals with interest in actually moving beyond what's necessary to survive.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just restarted my 2nd-gen Moto 360 at over 80% battery and it shut down instead, I assume because it thought it was low on battery. What other wearables are out there that look like a normal metal watch? I want notifications of some sort, good battery life, and don't care about fitness or GPS.

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

Cross posting from the Wear OS thread:

tinkerballz posted:

I am looking to buy a New Balance RunIQ.

It seems it has an integrated GPS. Does this mean I can navigate only with the watch or I will also need something like google maps installed? Will it work either way?

TIA

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is the Samsung Gear Fit 2 Pro a decent device, or something else with a tons of catch-22? That thing looks like a neat wrist device, and apparently Samsung is going to release a successor (Galaxy Fit and Fit e).

--edit: Well, turns out that with continuous HR, the GF2P doesn't really last long. Unless that changes with the new one, I guess I'll deal with Fitbit's poo poo sync some longer.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 28, 2019

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I'm considering the Samsung Galaxy Watch and have a couple questions. How functional is it when paired with an Apple phone? How well does the HR monitor work during exercise? How well does the GPS work during running or biking? I've heard mixed reviews on all these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is the Samsung Gear Fit 2 Pro a decent device, or something else with a tons of catch-22? That thing looks like a neat wrist device, and apparently Samsung is going to release a successor (Galaxy Fit and Fit e).

--edit: Well, turns out that with continuous HR, the GF2P doesn't really last long. Unless that changes with the new one, I guess I'll deal with Fitbit's poo poo sync some longer.

My wife and I each own(ed) one. Mine started acting flaky after swimming a few laps this summer (she did the same but never had any issues). By "flaky" i mean it would randomly go to max brightness, or setting the degrees to Farenheit would still have the weather app show local temp in Celsius. Last month after charging it it wouldn't start up - I'd get a "heat warning." It's dead. My wifes still works.

I'm looking around for a replacement, the Gear Fit 2 Pro lasted me about a year and a month.