Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

No Wave posted:

I'm a little concerned because while froth was op and greatly limited deckbuilding there were a lot of cards that interacted with froth decks' game plan (most effects in the game outside of lock) and it wasnt a deck that made last say all that important unless it ran a cheese yrden.

I would have been a little more generous to the card, putting it to 12 max, while making sure gremist got a hit as well. But we'll see.

I dont think froth was hit that hard. It lost Zoltan, which is huge, but the namesake card is still able to be run at two copies. And the ability for Gremist to potentially fire it off 4 times in a match series still lives on. Deck is still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Been running into a bunch of Eist (!) decks running self-harming warriors to rez then play bekker's dark mirror. With the 12-drop lady, you get a "surprise" 18-point unit.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

No Wave posted:

You stumbled on one of the better decks... Big Monsters is one of the more successful decks at higher ranks, even with Lemmens running around everywhere.

Eithne elves (no artifacts, epidemics, or scorches) is probably the most enjoyable deck for me right now but shirru is such an overpowered scumbag card, hard to be too proud when I win.

Your deckbuilding choices feel like froth, artifact, or cheese... there are a few archetypes that work outside of that triangle like elves, big monsters, and foltest goodstuff but it's not really enough. I should give them points for trying with witchers and greatswords I guess.

hell yeah, I've been tweaking this one and it's badass. I'm sick to death of playing the goddamn witcher trio in every deck so I modified my big dumb monster ghoul deck to not run 'em and I kinda dig it a bunch.

Without having to worry about the dumb witcher trio Naglfar gets even better. it has good synergy with Weavess: Incantation, too.

Here's my list:

(15) Old Speartip
(11) Weavess Incantation
(10) Naglfar
(10) Golyat
(10) Sleepy Speartip
(9) Ozzrel
(8) Count Caldwell
(8) 2x Ghoul
(7) Werecat
(7) 2x Griffin
(5) Alpha Werewolf - MVP
(5) 2x Drowner
(4) 2x Nekker Warrior
(4) 2x Werewolf
(4) 2x Ancient Foglet
(4) 2x Nekker
(4) 2x Archespore

Basically, you play little weak thrive junk early, big fat guys later. With very little thinning you are pretty draw-dependent but 3-4 mulligans is helpful.

Some non-obvious tricks:

Griffin is a great ghoul/ozzrel graveyard consume target in addition to the Speartips, Caldwell, and Golyat. Griffin is also useful in eating a damaged big dude to get 'em in the graveyard to get eaten by ghouls. Ancient Foglet synergy is obvious.

The deck is full of proactive plays, which feels great. Werewolf, Nekker Warrior, Nekker, Ancient Foglet, Alpha Werewolf or even the big fat guys are all useful against an empty board

little 1-drop Nekkers aren't the worst option to target with your leader ability. When played, the boosted nekker will trigger the thrive of the spawned little guy making it a 10-point play instead of a 9-point play! woooooo. Werewolf and Alpha Werewolf are obviously way better, but turning a small thrive dude into a big thrive dude is okay if you have big fat dudes to play.

Unless it's the final gamewinning play, don't boost your fat guys; it's dumb and risky.

Replacement options:

Caldwell is 10-power for 8 recruitment. Be smart and don't play him if there is any real chance of him getting stolen over to your opponent's side. Play at the end of rounds or feed him to the weavess. If you don't like the risk, you could replace him with an Ice Giant or Primordial D'ao, I guess.

In older versions of this deck I ran a bunch more big fat dudes like Primordial D'ao and Ice giant, but it felt like too many. if you don't like the griffins, Ice giants are an easy replacement, but I think Primordial D'ao recruitment is overcosted and ice giants are just boring. if you really want to fit in the witcher trio, you could replace some of the really big guys for ice giants and take out Werecat.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I like your list. What most people do instead of werecat is run forktails, which are actually insanely op in the list and a large reason it's tier 1.

However I encourage you to run your own, it's more fun that way.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

No Wave posted:

I like your list. What most people do instead of werecat is run forktails, which are actually insanely op in the list and a large reason it's tier 1.

I've been making a concerted effort not to netdeck this time and it's fun. I could really see how forktails could be good, but playing slightly unexpected stuff has its own benefit.

My other constructed jam is a Demavend charge-a-palooza deck (Lyrian Arbalest and piles of charge/order cards; Anna Strenger, Tridam infantry, Vysogota, Priscilla, Dandelion, etc) but it has a hard time against folks that know the basic combos and are running appropriate removal.

I had fun with an arena deck that I drafted with 2 pheonix and Derran. Lucked into having Eist as my leader along with a few appropriate Warrior targets. Eist isn't the worst arena leader if you can make him work. I like his voice lines quite a bit, too.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I tried to do a monster rowstack deck after the nerfs, and man, it was weak. Forget about using it anymore.

I also tried to do a Deathwish deck, but it felt very inconsistent, so in the end I came back to a 'big boy' monster deck, a variation similar to the previously posted.

Maybe I will try to do a Draug deck.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I dunno if it already got mentioned, but the steam version went live yesterday.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
And it's like 1/3rd the price of the GOG version in my region. Goddamnit. :negative:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So is thronebreaker any good if you liked gwent and kinda think it looks fun?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Affi posted:

It's alright. Puzzles are mostly entertaining and the story is generally good with a small amount of reactivity. However the difficulty is non-existent and the game is actually weakest when it's time to do three rounds of regular Gwent, to the point I would audibly groan when the words "Standard Battle" popped up on screen. The rounds take forever and you know you'll just stomp the AI so it starts to feel pointless.

Conclusion: I'd wait for a patch to fix the most glaring bugs, and probably a sale because you won't get more than maybe 30 hours out of it and it lacks significant replay value.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Production value is insane though, everything but the gameplay is very well made.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Buller posted:

Production value is insane though, everything but the gameplay is very well made.

Voice acting, animations, card animations and effects, music, all gold. Actually playing Gwent? Ehhhhhhhh no thanks.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Affi posted:

Wait until December, they supposedly will release an update for it that will fix the poor difficulty.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Minrad posted:

Rayla is so great. She does horrible things... but she's never wrong about the Scoia'tael. Any time you fail to heed her advice and don't do something horrible, the elves do something just as horrible to you instead.

Rayla did nothing wrong

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

They're releasing a december patch that's supposed to make TB harder. I don't really believe it will do anything.

30 dollars isn't a low price for what you get, if that's a high number for you and you haven't bought hollow knight or enter the gungeon buy those instead.

But the game is fun for a single playthrough even if the end drags a little and the writing/characters are very good. I can't recommend multiplayer gwent at all right now though unfortunately.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Opinions are definitely mixed on multiplayer gwent, I know I quite like it and would recommend it, so I'd say it would be worth a try to anyone who was curious.

Unrelated, today was the first day of homecoming in which I actually saw someone clear a weather I'd played :v:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I would say most changes in Gwent are positive, but a few of them (max hand size, max row size) are so restricting that makes most matches be close games, but in an artificial way. There is less 'game space' for big defeats and big victories.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

It is a bit weird if you get two card advantage in round one but they just pass to get it back to even. I like the extra draws and the whole game not revolving around card advantage in round one, but it has its price. Better this than 100% of players with spies, revolving around who gets 2nd and who draws their spy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

In general I'll keep my negative stuff about homecoming off this forum, but the coinflip isn't remotely fixed. It's worse than it was at the end of OB because orders makes reactive cards like right now epidemic, scorch, wild boar, schirru, and wolfsbane absurd. The changes made it slightly harder to lose on even, but extremely hard to take round 1 on blue and you don't have the option to drypass.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I didn't feel it was worse, the first player had an alright shot at taking the lead with tactical advantage on some kind of orders or value over time card, though that depends on whether they have that kind of deck or the other guy has big removal or not. Maybe it gets worse, I'm not particularly expert or high rank :shrug:

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Are there any good places to netdeck for this dead game?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sorry, but can someone explain me how the collection progress indicator works?

I'm missing 21 cards... or at least, it says that.

But in reality I'm only missing 5 standard cards (because I have the premium version of them, I didn't craft them), so it can't refer to the 'standard', non-animated set. Nor it can refer to the Premium set, as for that I'm missing not 21 cards, but more than 60.

edit: and the answer, the max number is wrong.There are less cards in the game.

Which, by the way, it's something that it's starting to bother me, game needs a pair of expansions already.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 12, 2018

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Qmass posted:

Are there any good places to netdeck for this dead game?

https://teamrankstar.com/gwent-meta-update-nov-13-2018/
https://www.myesports.net/gwent/
https://gwenty.gg/
https://gwentdb.net/

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

awesome, thanks turin.

So now that card advantage is so wonky, what is ciri used for ?

Qmass fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 14, 2018

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Qmass posted:

awesome, thanks turin.

So now that card advantage is so wonky, what is ciri used for ?

Same function? You just have to play it when you played enough cards as to not exceed the max number next round.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I had never seen someone run caranthir, speartip bekkers before... 25 points :O Well now I know and now my big woodland has forktails...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Buller posted:

I was shocked when the game actually went on after the first act. I've been burned so hard before that I just assumed pre-emptively that this is where the game ends and they say 'please come back for the sequel'. It just goes on and on and it's all good, it's a genuine single-player title and that made me so happy.

I'll be so sad if there are not more of these titles, single-player card-games is the most under-appreciated of genres and short of Slay the Spire there's been almost nothing for years.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 14, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I assume you've played HS dungeon run. I loooooved HS dungeon run.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I'm glad that there is hardly any witchering too. It'd be nice to see them do more with the more mundane people in the setting.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

No Wave posted:

I assume you've played HS dungeon run. I loooooved HS dungeon run.

The few HS dungeons runs that exist are good.

Up Circle posted:

I'm glad that there is hardly any witchering too. It'd be nice to see them do more with the more mundane people in the setting.

Something about Meve & CO just overwhelming all the monsters you have to work around in Witcher was very satisfying to me.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
I dug the thing (very early in the game) where when you encounter monsters your advisors are like "should we call a Witcher?" And you are like "no time, just use heavy artillery." I guess monsters are much less scary if you have a literal army with you to take 'em out.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

No Wave posted:

Yeah, after playing around with a consume list for a while I was convinced at the power of forktails, so I switched out a werecat and a griffin for a pair of them. Running into loads of anti-fat critter/anti-graveyard tech though. Lots of matchups come down to feeling out when it's safe to play little nekkers/thrive dudes early or when you gotta mull them away.

There seem to be a bazillion Crach decks out there at the moment. Lots of variety in the details of what they are doing. Halfway tempted to start running an artifact hate dude to snag the occasional spear or ethne schirru potion. I hate to dilute the basic game plan though.

Top 150-120ish in North America, woo. I wonder if I'll manage to push to pro level again. Level 9 or so at the moment but I can't help but try janky new ideas in ranked.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Does anyone have the copypaste about the dad who was financially ruined by his autistic son buying Gwent kegs?

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Also I can't believe Xavier Lemmens evaded the nerf hammer this go around. I put him in every ranked deck.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Yeah, after playing around with a consume list for a while I was convinced at the power of forktails, so I switched out a werecat and a griffin for a pair of them. Running into loads of anti-fat critter/anti-graveyard tech though. Lots of matchups come down to feeling out when it's safe to play little nekkers/thrive dudes early or when you gotta mull them away.

There seem to be a bazillion Crach decks out there at the moment. Lots of variety in the details of what they are doing. Halfway tempted to start running an artifact hate dude to snag the occasional spear or ethne schirru potion. I hate to dilute the basic game plan though.

Top 150-120ish in North America, woo. I wonder if I'll manage to push to pro level again. Level 9 or so at the moment but I can't help but try janky new ideas in ranked.

well, did switch out some stuff for artifact hate and it was the right idea.

updated list:

Ghoulish

(15) Old Speartip
(11) Weavess Incantation
(10) Naglfar
(10) Golyat
(9) Ozzrel
(8) Count Caldwell
(8) Frenzied D'ao
(8) 2x Ghoul
(7) 1x Griffin
(6) Nithral
(6) 2x Cyclops - new MVP
(5) Alpha Werewolf
(5) 2x Forktail
(5) 2x Drowner
(4) 2x Nekker Warrior
(4) 2x Ancient Foglet
(4) 2x Nekker
(4) 1x Archespore

Cyclops is crucial in taking out early engines and in throwing count Caldwell into someone's face before he switches sides. The switch-sides ability triggers at the end of YOUR turn, so he is okay to play on a board where you have the highest unit as long as you can afford to throw him away if they get highest unit during their turn.

Frenzied D'ao is a decent ghoul target and the now-two artifact killers are useful vs. elfish decks and Crach decks. Weavess: Incantation is your most useful tools in getting ghoul targets into the graveyard, but Griffins and Cyclops works in a pinch, too.

Naglfar is amazing. if you have both Naglfar and Weavess: Incantation in your opening hand, you are probably going to win the match.

Nithral is the first card to go if the meta shifts away from decks running artifacts at all.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I can't bring myself to play this more than once a week. It is extremely unfun.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yup, pretty much. RIP

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm having fun playing Thronebreaker from time to time but yeah I haven't touched main Gwent ever since release day

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Up Circle posted:

I can't bring myself to play this more than once a week. It is extremely unfun.
I don't think CDPR realized how good they had it with the minor market share that they had. The game is now just bad, there are probably 2 years of alpha and beta that need to be done for this product to actually get fun into it. Looking at beta gwent again you can see how much work went into things like card draw animations, sounds, and round transitions to make the game actually fun to play.

HC/Thronebreaker were clearly rushed to make it onto their financial report for 2018 but this is a real disaster and they just don't have anyone over there who has the ability to turn it around. It's really over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
I dunno, I like it fine? :shrug: